• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
That's what that white dot in my game last night was! That's awesome, I didn't know this either! Thank you!
Yeah, sadly for the moment you have to go to the actual POI and do a scan to remove the dots, but that's how they get there. I imagine lots of people have placed them by accident while scanning for creatures.

You can mine with the laser, melee, plasma grenades, and I believe the railgun adapter tech for the boltcaster. No idea what the bit about better returns meant though :)

You're certain that you can with Plasma Grenades? Is there a tech that allows this? I'm not 100% sure, but the last time I blasted a big pillar of Emeril with a plasma grenade it just destroyed the resource rather than mining it for me.

Septimius

Well, I kinda hit the jackpot, and these are by far the prettiest planets I've encountered in over 70 hours of (too much) playing the game. This is my 46th solar system I visited and that last shot is from my 116th planet I visited.

Also, for whoever ever wants to find it:

System Name: Seiniyta_46
Region: Aogucunilfh
Analysis: Class 0P9 // 6 planets

That's gonna be like finding a needle in the haystack. If the haystack was the size of the earth.

No discoveries at all, even the planet I was currently on had its discoveries disappear. It's as if I'm a fresh character on the current planet I'm on. Which sucks because I've been to a good amount of planets where I scanned and uploaded everything.

That's a fucked bug. Yeah, I really hope HG is able to sort it for you quickly.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
You're certain that you can with Plasma Grenades? Is there a tech that allows this? I'm not 100% sure, but the last time I blasted a big pillar of Emeril with a plasma grenade it just destroyed the resource rather than mining it for me.
I'm pretty certain, unless it varies element to element?
Well, I kinda hit the jackpot, and these are by far the prettiest planets I've encountered in over 70 hours of (too much) playing the game. This is my 46th solar system I visited and that last shot is from my 116th planet I visited.

Also, for whoever ever wants to find it:

System Name: Seiniyta_46
Region: Aogucunilfh
Analysis: Class 0P9 // 6 planets
Thanks for this! Just making sure in the class name, the 0 is an O, right?
That's gonna be like finding a needle in the haystack. If the haystack was the size of the earth.
It's more so when a modder/Hello Games decide to add a search function and you can then set a waypoint to the found planet in the future.
It may be more practical than we understand yet even without such additions, depending on how black holes actually function.

Aselith

Saw a huge lump of Emeril on a fairly boring world and decided to mine some by hand just for fun (well it gives better returns and is weirdly soothing hehe).

Was a bit odd - there was a solid core of the substance that would not break either by hand or with the tool. After chiseling away and filling 1500 worth in my inventory, I decided to dig down and see how far it went - pretty far! So then decided to walk off a way to see how large it is on a scan - fecking HUGE. I chipped away some more before filling my inventory at 2000 pieces... but that thing must be near 10,000 total going by the scan... at 275 units a piece.

And now the thing looks to be taking some kind of shape, so I'm tempted to keep chipping away :D

I did that and fell through the world while mining it. You be careful.

Seiniyta

I'm pretty certain, unless it varies element to element?

Thanks for this! Just making sure in the class name, the 0 is an O, right?

It may be more practical than we understand yet even without such additions, depending on how black holes actually function.

sUJhPB7.png

It's actually annoying it's really hard to find planets you've already discovered. I hope in the future they add a way so you can put a waypoint to your planet from the discovery menu.

What's up with the giant gold pillars giving so little gold? I collect 2000 gold from the "spiky" veins easily, but an entire gold pillar might give me 50-100.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I renamed things in my first three universes... Then stopped...
Oh god this hurts, lol XD

A collection of planets that orbit a star is a star system
A collection of nearby star systems (and other stuff) that are bound to each other by gravity is a galaxy
A universe is everything that we are able to perceive in our entire reality

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
sUJhPB7.png

It's actually annoying it's really hard to find planets you've already discovered. I hope in the future they add a way so you can put a waypoint to your planet from the discovery menu.
Thx! Yep, that's an O-class star.

I wonder how many Regions there are.

JoeNut

This game is super addictive, it's the same thing over and over but for some reason I can't stop playing. Been to loads of planets though i don't stick around long

I see that but why is there a separate oxygen meter for when underwater? It literally makes no sense to me.

I see the life support as a way to filter to air that is in the atmosphere and the oxygen bar underwater as a oxygen source underwater ( when the current air can't be filtered ) make sense since all planets have an atmosphere.

Poetaster

Banned
That's a fucked bug. Yeah, I really hope HG is able to sort it for you quickly.
I have a feeling I won't hear anything more than the copy/paste email they sent me, being a small team dealing with tons of emails and all that. Oh well, at least my new first planet discovered is a good paradise planet.

Wok

sUJhPB7.png

Or you know make a coordinate system and let us write down our coordinates on paper if we want. How hard is it to define three oriented axes (x,y,z) with the center at the center of the galaxy? Or (radius, theta, phi), but whatever, something to find the planet again, even on a different play-through. As is, it is as if the devs obfuscated on purpose any possibility of organizing a meeting between two players in-game. It is okay, the game is single player, we know, now give us a coordinate system.

klipklop

Neo Member
Reposting since it didn't get given away last time:

Someone asked me for it, I PMed them the code, but they told me it was a misunderstanding and they didn't actually need it. So it might not 100% that it works. Anyway, same deal, someone quote this post and it's yours.

Any chance I could snatch this babycakes?

xoxo

Yeah the ships really need a parking camera or some shit, I've missed a few parking spots at trading posts and then I gotta blow more fucking plutonium to lift off and miss it again. I dunno how they didn't find that annoying.

I had my first, real "emergent gameplay" moment last night, found my first lush planet (huuuuuuuge green motherfucker with tons of resources) and I just jumped out of my spacecraft and picked a direction and went off on my merry way.

I felt like an explorer.

I love this game.
You need to listen to the audio cue when near the landing pad /beacon If you're not going to fast , a press the landing button , it should lock on automatically.

Yes there is an audio cue if you're not going too fast , it's usually when the white reticule locks on the beacon.

Has anyone come across this yet? A monolith that's a house.
Found one this morning , very weird so i jumped with my jetpack on the top of it to find out that EVERY FLOOR had an hole in it ...

Make me wonder if that design isn't on purpose .. just like the Big landing pad don't have stairs ... WHY ?? why no stairs ?
Beautiful, but my inner nerd still has trouble suspending his disbelief at all planets being so close. :lol

Yet when they said that they tweaked the normal rules to make those things happens in the game people are crying about it in some other thread ... sadface.jpg

Xbudz

lGieiU5.jpg

I love exploring in this game.
I think I need a mod to quickly disable the HUD for screenshot purposes though.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Would it be that moronic system that I need fill my inventory with inferior versions so superior would work?
Each warp reactor upgrade you install increases the maximum distance you can jump in one warp; you also get the bonus to this amount for grouping them together in your inventory. Additionally certain systems require a specific type of warp reactor to jump to regardless of how far away you are.

Beautiful, but my inner nerd still has trouble suspending his disbelief at all planets being so close. :lol

This all could have been avoided if they had just made planets have more moons. It would have satisfied AD Grant Duncan's aesthetic requirements, while Sean and us would've had our functional star systems instead of the fake dioramas we have now.

Kaiken

Banned
This game looks pretty wicked...seems to be a lot of farming/grinding involved though..

It is but then you run into this planet, lush with exotic colored grass and alien like flora. It's peaceful and full of life. You climb to the highest mountain top and look into the distance as the sun sets. Rich purples which the stars peek though and the warm peach clouds where the sun sets puts you at ease. You stick around for the atmosphere like a vacation. Some grinding but more sightseeing. Until it's time to say goodbye and remember your journey to the center. Time to grind away again until your next vacation spot.

Are there particular alien races or installation types (ground vs space stations) that are more likely to provide warp drive upgrade blueprints? Feel like I've been playing forever and shocked I haven't gotten at least the first one. Is it really just a rare drop situation (along with the broken machinery)?

Tovarisc

Each warp reactor upgrade you install increases the maximum distance you can jump in one warp; you also get the bonus to this amount for grouping them together in your inventory. Additionally certain systems require a specific type of warp reactor to jump to regardless of how far away you are.

I just assumed that building Theta engine would let me warp into "Theta systems", but apparently that is too logical for this game. Need jump extra hoops and fill ship with inferior stuff.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I just assumed that building Theta engine would let me warp into "Theta systems", but apparently that is too logical for this game. Need jump extra hoops and fill ship with inferior stuff.
Assuming I understand you correctly that just sounds like a bug,
Obviously that makes it sound like you only need the theta reactor installed, what does it say if you do have the theta reactor installed and it still won't let you go?

Septimius

I hope they add saving locations. So badly. I'd pick a system, then settle it as home, and start exploring nearby systems. Some bade building, and this would be such an addictive game. They need to take soms pointers from Minecraft.

Wok

Obviously that makes it sound like you only need the theta reactor installed, what does it say if you do have the theta reactor installed and it still won't let you go?

It is actually written "required" and not "sufficient". Checkmate.

Only if they're in range. Each warp engine you add extends the range of ALL engines.

60 light-years should be in range of any engine though.

reminder

Yeah, i had the same bug. Thought only the Theta reactor would be needed, but actually you need Tau and Sigma too. Worked for me after installing Tau too, but the Text was still referring to Theta only.

Akai XIII

Only if they're in range. Each warp engine you add extends the range of ALL engines.

Ambitious

I've visited less than 10 systems, and yet I feel like I've seen everything. I spent the last few hours walking through caves and searching Emeril so I could finally buy a new ship, but I still don't have enough units.
I don't feel like playing this anymore.

Baalzebup

I've visited less than 10 systems, and yet I feel like I've seen everything. I spent the last few hours walking through caves and searching Emeril so I could finally buy a new ship, but I still don't have enough units.

This is just basically paging for a certain post from Griss.. I'll have to look it up.

Here we go:
I see that a lot of people have given you the obvious inventory answer but for me that's not exactly it.

Instead, it's your relationship with the algorithm that determines your enjoyment with the game. The game is the algorithm, the algorithm is the game.

When you start, you are astonished at this procedurally generated world you find yourself on. Every cave, ravine, lake, animal is some kind of miracle. An hour or two of wonderment later you take off and fly around your starter planet. You realise that it's really all just one biome repeated endlessly. Well, whatever, it's still incredible. You go to a second planet. The colours are different, the flora are different, you see a different building, a different monolith. Wow! It's so new and exciting! Maybe it's barren. Maybe it's lush. It's new.

You build a warp drive and travel to a new system. New aliens! Space battles! New planets! Meeting atlas and starting the main quest! The thrill of the new is still there, 5 hours in. But already you're realising that the pool of buildings you visit on the surface is quite shallow and you may have seen them all, that each planet has plutonium, iron and carbon, that each planet with flora has a 'rock', 'small rock', 'tree' etc. Patterns emerge.

Then the grind begins. Right when you start to see the seams in the algorithm is when you'll have gathered enough stuff that the inventory becomes a problem. The game becomes a drag. You visit planet after planet and see little that surprises you. You learn what the game can and can't generate.

You hit 20 hours. Or 25. Or whenever.

And THEN - here's the thing. You've learned what the game can and can't generate, but only from a limited selection of 20 or so planets. So you convince yourself that you've seen it all - you really believe that - but you've only seen 90-95%. That's most of it. But not all. So now, you go down to a planet, knowing exactly what you'll find... but on that rare occasion that the algorithm throws out an outlier you are now surprised again, just like you were at the start.

At the start you were surprised because you had no idea what was possible. Now you're surprised because you thought you knew what was possible. Massive megafauna, floating jellyfish made of special elements, frozen ice wastes that kill you in seconds - there's a ton of outliers that you have yet to see - and seeing them becomes the point of the game. Seeing rare, beautiful or unusual stuff becomes like getting rare loot in an RPG. And at this point you're not quite as bothered about the lame main quest or inventory worries.

Many people don't make it through that mid point, or decide that whatever outliers and weird stuff the game has left to show them isn't worth it. That's an entirely fair conclusion. For me, it absolutely has been worth it. At some point that will end. But not yet.

Septimius

Perhaps try crashed ship swapping? There are also better ways to make money.

Uthred

Then don't, no point playing a game you aren't enjoying. Trading in stations is generally quicker and easier than farming stuff like Emeril to make money.

Top Bottom