• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

Has anyone tried to leave a star system and just fly out into the void of space? Sean said prior to release that you could manually fly (for a long long time) from system to system without using warp drive if you want. Wondering if that's still possible. I want to see some traditional black space.

Akai XIII

I've visited less than 10 systems, and yet I feel like I've seen everything. I spent the last few hours walking through caves and searching Emeril so I could finally buy a new ship, but I still don't have enough units.
I don't feel like playing this anymore.

Don't bother with those, warp until you find a planet with one of these:
Vortex Cubes
Gravitron Balls
Sac Venom
Pearls

They sell for 20k each. With an inventory full I make 1.2 per trip.

Beaulieu

Has anyone tried to leave a star system and just fly out into the void of space? Sean said prior to release that you could manually fly (for a long long time) from system to system without using warp drive if you want. Wondering if that's still possible. I want to see some traditional black space.

not possible

Mashing

So my first blue star system has planet has a low atmosphere planet with albumen pearls littering the surface. Unfortunately there's no good place that will buy at at 100% markup. Should I just sell to whoever?

Mobius 1

I might wait until the first patch to see where things go. I love the game, but I have a number of frustrations with it that combined with limited free time might put me off forever.

Effnine

So my first blue star system has planet has a low atmosphere planet with albumen pearls littering the surface. Unfortunately there's no good place that will buy at at 100% markup. Should I just sell to whoever?

Depends on what you're going for. If you still need a big ship, then not worth the hassle of holding. Otherwise, I have started to jump from system to system basically selling my wares.

r1chard

Game desperately needs camera controls (boggles my mind there's not even a way to turn off the HUD) so we can do DoF control and stuff.

Edit: to make this a positive post: I'm still playing a week later, and my mind keeps getting drawn back to it. Win!

DanielJr82

I remember someone saying there is an invisible wall to get to the star/sun of each system. I'm guessing the same invisible wall is present so you don't leave your system without warping away. (I have not personally tried it, though.)

Seiniyta

Well, it only took me 122 planets, but I found something wiht a neat shoreline that kinda resembles the original trailer (though blue)

wpsAn2D.jpg

Tovarisc

Assuming I understand you correctly that just sounds like a bug,
Obviously that makes it sound like you only need the theta reactor installed, what does it say if you do have the theta reactor installed and it still won't let you go?

Yeah, systems requiring Theta Reactor still say that I need Theta Reactor. All of them. Even when I have it installed. Will gather materials and build previous two tiers to see if that helps.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Discovered and named a system two days ago. Someone just discovered and named the same system, overwriting my discovery. Weird.

Epcott

I don't mean to derail, but I've been kind of underwhelmed by NMS, and heard about Elite Dangerous. Thought of giving it a try... How does it stack up to this?

I'm not crazy about overly complex flight sims but I do love a rich vast world with combat and exploration. I was hoping NMS would be a bit more deep and rather than bump an ancient ED thread, thought I'd ask here from NMS players whove played both.

(Note: I'll more than likely will continue NMS, but I now have an itch I need to scratch, you know?)

I remember someone saying there is an invisible wall to get to the star/sun of each system. I'm guessing the same invisible wall is present so you don't leave your system without warping away. (I have not personally tried it, though.)

Yeah, I found a YT video of someone trying to fly into the sun. Flew for real-time hours and eventually everything started glitching, but the star never got bigger. I guess it's the same in any direction you fly. Really disappointing they turned star systems into a box you can't get out of except by warping to (aka loading) a new system.

Prurient

Banned
Could someone tell me the most efficient way I can look for Iridium? Any way to tell if a planet has any without landing? It's gone way past the point of fun for me now.

Kaiken

Banned
Yeah, systems requiring Theta Reactor still say that I need Theta Reactor. All of them. Even when I have it installed. Will gather materials and build previous two tiers to see if that helps.

I went through the exact same thing. Did a little search and found out that I needed a Tau along with my Sigma and Theta. Once all was installed, I can go anywhere.

JackHerer

I don't mean to derail, but I've been kind of underwhelmed by NMS, and heard about Elite Dangerous. Thought of giving it a try... How does it stack up to this?

I'm not crazy about overly complex flight sims but I do love a rich vast world with combat and exploration. I was hoping NMS would be a bit more deep and rather than bump an ancient ED thread, thought I'd ask here from NMS players whove played both.

(Note: I'll more than likely will continue NMS, but I now have an itch I need to scratch, you know?)

I haven't played a ton of ED but I can say the ship flight mechanics and battles are much better and more complex.

ogbg

Could someone tell me the most efficient way I can look for Iridium? Any way to tell if a planet has any without landing? It's gone way past the point of fun for me now.

You can recognise it from the air by its appearance. Its deposits are red and arch shaped.

Generally I find that searching for rare metals is a recipe for frustration. Once you have more storage you can start keeping small reserves of each.

Has there ever been mention if No Man's Sky would ever be in VR? Even with all it's shortcomings, I could see myself spending a lot of time in VR with it.

I have not played Horizons, as I didn't feel like paying again for an expansion to a game I'd already stopped playing and didn't really feel the need to return to, so take this with a big grain of salt. Vanilla Elite is indeed vast, but "rich" is not how I would characterize its worlds. Exploration in particular seemed really underwhelming to me. If you're just in it for the space combat/flying, though, Elite will work fine.

Sean Murray said it was possible in an interview but yeah it's not. You don't actually go anywhere in warp, it just hides a different system loading up.

panda-zebra

You can mine with the laser, melee, plasma grenades, and I believe the railgun adapter tech for the boltcaster. No idea what the bit about better returns meant though :)

Try it. Find a blob of something like Gold or Emeril, save your game and mine it with your tool and mine it by hand - you might only gain 2 units per manual hit, but I find the total mined will be more, but it takes loads longer so might not be worth it.

dLMN8R

Is there any chance that once you get a warp drive, you get the ability to visit more interesting planets and systems?

I just got the recipe but haven't been able to craft it yet, but I'm intrigued by the idea that there could be a whole lot of variation I haven't even begun to explore yet with different warp reactors.

Why can't we all agree that No Man's Sky is the ultimate space/Science-Fiction game and that it's possibilities are endless. In the near future, it could possibly have anything and everything that anybody could ever want in the game.

The vanilla game is amazing enough for me and I can't wait to see where they take it through updates!

Moon rovers, more alien races, ship naming/customization, player customization, being able to arrange inventory and rotating planets, please!

It hurts to be at work, not playing this game.

I need to take a sick day I think.

Also why does this OT have the same name as the other one? I like when new ones have different titles :(

chogidogs

Found a planet that has Vortex Cubes, pleasant weather, and barely any sentinels. I've made 11M so far. How much more do I need to get the best ship and how do I buy it? Just wait at a station?

After 15 hours I've found my first ship, and it's worse than my current one with 1 less slot. At this point I've got enough money to buy one from a trader I think, to FINALLY replace my starting ship!

In the meantime, I've got one more RECORD location to find on a planet, and 1 more animal, a bird. I can't seem to scan those, so have been trying to shoot them down to see if that works.

Finding the last location is a pain in the ass, any tips on this?

Venuspower

I found Iridium on every Ice/Snow planet I visited during the last days.
You can also find it in some asteroids.

Muzicfreq

Banned
You can mine with the laser, melee, plasma grenades, and I believe the railgun adapter tech for the boltcaster. No idea what the bit about better returns meant though :)
Railshot is horribly worded. It more essentially adds actual impact damage to the mining laser. I think the other stuff might be not working, bugged, or just flat out not really good.

To test this I went to a locked door, mining laser didn't work to break it
Added railshot and it started taking damage

HeeHo

I had a really good planet that had venom sacs literally everywhere. I made 5 mil and thought 'i should move on'.

Took me a while but I found a new planet with pearls every now and then on the surface AND vortex cubes in the caves. I'm in heaven cause the planet is a lot better looking than my last money making planet. Although that last one had green exclamation marks everywhere(venom sacs) and I could make money ridiculously fast but you gotta take what you can get once you move on.

Mael

Damn it 1 post before the OT is closed!

So as I was saying

They really need to make a validation system for naming stuffs.
My home planet is called Su.
My second planet is not much better.
Who the fuck thought this was a good idea to just provide 1 name, no validation and no correcting mistakes?

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
I found a great solar system. One planet is a forest world that is mostly water, with tons of gold.
Another is a jungle world with beautiful multi colored grass. (it stuck out because in one of the pre-threads, some guy made a big deal about how all the grass on each planet was just going to be one color.)
Then there's the desert world with dinosaurs. It also has tons of emeril.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Man the crashing I'm getting is carzy, at 1st it was only when I warp now it happens all the time at random, losing tons of progress because you only save when you get out of you ship.

Think I'm done

Nafai1123

Banned
Is there any chance that once you get a warp drive, you get the ability to visit more interesting planets and systems?

I just got the recipe but haven't been able to craft it yet, but I'm intrigued by the idea that there could be a whole lot of variation I haven't even begun to explore yet with different warp reactors.

Once you start upgrading your warp drive you get the ability to warp to red/blue/green star systems which have higher chance of weird shit and rarer resources.

Oh god this hurts, lol XD

A collection of planets that orbit a star is a star system
A collection of nearby star systems (and other stuff) that are bound to each other by gravity is a galaxy
A universe is everything that we are able to perceive in our entire reality
Damn.. Lol. I shot that out real quick on my phone while getting ready for work. I understand how the hierarchy works. You left out local clusters within Galaxies, though...

Epcott

I haven't played a ton of ED but I can say the ship flight mechanics and battles are much better and more complex.

Thanks! That sounds promising.

I have not played Horizons, as I didn't feel like paying again for an expansion to a game I'd already stopped playing and didn't really feel the need to return to, so take this with a big grain of salt. Vanilla Elite is indeed vast, but "rich" is not how I would characterize its worlds. Exploration in particular seemed really underwhelming to me. If you're just in it for the space combat/flying, though, Elite will work fine.

Yeah, I saw that in a review. Long stretches of travel without anything interesting is a bit of a turn off. I suppose that's the good thing about NMS, space travel can get tedious but at least the planets in a system are relatively close. I guess I'll stick with NMS a bit longer before picking up ED on Xbox One.

Unicorn

I have 22$ on steam from selling trading cards now. Maybe by the time I have the money it'll have 4 or 5 updates under its belt.

Thanks! That sounds promising.

Yeah, I saw that in a review. Long stretches of travel without anything interesting is a bit of a turn off. I suppose that's the good thing about NMS, space travel can get tedious but at least the planets in a system are relatively close. I guess I'll stick with NMS a bit longer before picking up ED on Xbox One.

The updates of Horizon effect Vanilla for everyone - you just cant participate in moon/planet landing or the new crafting system with engineers. But tons of mission overhaul content has taken place to where I was able to play 50+ hours and have a good time whereas last year I put in 13ish and felt miserable after it. Community goals were implemented that make it far easier to earn millions of credits in just a few days, thus opening more options to the player for varying their playstyle. Exploration is still dull, but I found a beautiful system I bookmarked for the eventual update that adds atmospheric planet exploration and gas giant exploration. Truly stunning and original solar system I didn't think would have been generated.

edit: holy fuck my friend just gifted me NMS. like fuck.

Turn AF off ingame and force it through GPU, it's a huge fps gain!

I did actually. It's at 1 in the game and 16 in NCP. If it wasn't for water I get locked 60fps everywhere else.

I'm gonna try dropping it to 8 though as the other poster suggested. Never thought AF would ever be a culprit for frame rate lol

Edit:. Oh has anyone else found swamps yet? Found one earlier today. Wet and squishy and green.

Alebrije

Well, it only took me 122 planets, but I found something wiht a neat shoreline that kinda resembles the original trailer (though blue)

This worries me , on my first solar system at the begining of the game have two planets like the one you show , plenty of flora and water..hope next ones are not boring

Top Bottom