• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

Trojan

Question about the paths to the center of the Galaxy:

OK, so I've got 3 Atlus stones so far and I've basically spent a bunch of time messing around and upgrading my ship. I've now got 3 warp drives - Sigma, Tau, and Theta - all connecting so I'm getting the bonus. I think my warp drive is about top level or near that.

My question is: can I just bee-line to the center of the Galaxy, or do I still need to collect Atlus Stones? At this point I'd probably rather just head straight there and stop and random systems to refuel and sight-see, but I don't want to ignore Atlus Stations or Space Anomolies if I need to be getting materials there.

jax

Banned
Ugh. Steam Cloud saving worked so flawlessly until now. I can't get my Laptop save back into the desktop. I keep trying to Turn off steam cloud, delete the save file, boot up save on laptop, save, and turn cloud back on but it keeps resetting my game to 0.

Really wish there was a way to backup the save without the cloud. Putting the folder on a USB doesnt work. :(

Spyware

got hit with that 100% complete bug, curses. hope that's in the next line of fixes.
Oh noo, not you too! I got it right after I finished the survival thing. I went back to the other planets in that system, spent 30 mins looking for the last creature on a planet, found it and realised I had the bug :(

And here I was thinking the original OT2 title was a clever riff on the stigma of having the same thing procedurally generated.

:(

Arozay

So for some reason I'm not getting the extra shooting reticle when I fight other ships, so it makes them impossible to hit so I just run... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So for some reason I'm not getting the extra shooting reticle when I fight other ships, so it makes them impossible to hit so I just run... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Are you using the mining beam? If not, well, lame! Had some weird experiences while flying where the reticle was just a dark dot for some reason.

I just found a space station where I can sell Bypass Chips for 7k a pop.. lol

That happened to me last night also, but it was with a ship trader in a station. It had chips gold-starred, so I backed out and set up a chip factory right there heh.

One nice QoL bit with the station ships is that if you're next to them, they won't take off, so you can transfer inventory or craft stuff without worrying about them leaving.

BizzyBum

That happened to me last night also, but it was with a ship trader in a station. It had chips gold-starred, so I backed out and set up a chip factory right there heh.

One nice QoL bit with the station ships is that if you're next to them, they won't take off, so you can transfer inventory or craft stuff without worrying about them leaving.

Yeah, I was thinking about it, but I'm probably still better off finding a planet with pearls or something near a portable GTT.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
My leading reticule sometimes disappears. I haven't figured out whether it has anything to do with the type of enemy ships.

So I got up to around 40 slots on my ship doing one ship per transmission tower, but for the last stretch I decided to take advantage of the Gek tower bug. A few interesting things to note is that while you can get multiple crashed ships from one planet, there appear to be limited crash locations and only one ship will spawn per location. I did 5 locations at a time, after the first set the tower would send me a few times to locations I'd already been. If I took the ship the first time, it'd be empty, and if I didn't, the prior ship with the same slots as before was there. Once I noticed this I took a sub-orbital flight to another area of the planet and got all new sites... but the second set I started to get the same repeats.

I'm at my 47 slot ship and trying to find a good looking 48 slot one, and the last 3 ships I found look exactly the same as my current one. Hopefully, I'll have better luck tonight, although I may have to take off to another planet to do it.

Meliora

I found my comfiest planet so far. It's a lot of water with islands, weather is mild with the occasional storm. I think I can see 4 or 5 different planets in the sky (6 in total in this system).

Zghwsuw.jpg
vTA6R0P.jpg

wCMhSbR.png
qxuYbC6.jpg

9gUcaXn.png
YcOmA7j.png

Everything looks peaceful, but beware! For the long grass is full of angry little rhino men, and they really hate people! They are so tiny so you can't really see them in the grass which actually makes the a bit dangerous. They'll knock you off cliffs and stuff.. Look at this guy!

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Man, when you warp for the first time and enter into that new star system. Best feels of this generation. The first system I started out on was black, the second was this pretty diffused blue. Also the planets were more vegetative and way more water based. This game. It may be janky but its doing things that makes these linear shooters or rpgs feel antiquated.

RedSwirl

Honestly the "real" soler system model would actually break one of Sean's other things he mentioned.

He wanted to have the planets closer than they really would be to mimic the artistic science fiction covers and movies where you would see multiple moons or planets on the horizon

If they had actual star system properties you would lose much of this effect

Also I could potentially see it as a confusing task as to where you are with planetary rotation built into that as well.

One of the other issues I could see is you see the trade route lines in the areas in which those would have to follow the roations and AI would need far more programming.

So at some point there had to be a trade off and my guess they wanted to have artistic vision over programming

I don't think so. And I'm not asking for a realistic solar system model -- Sean actually originally wanted realistic planet distances but the artists overrode him on this because of the images you posted, I'd just like to see a model in this game where planets and moons rotate and orbit. You'd see them shift and you might not get planets in the sky ALL the time, but you'd still get them. Another good way would probably be to put more moons in the sky.

Space Engine is supposed to be a realistic simulation of space, and you can get picturesque skies with planets, moons, and multiple suns surprisingly often. This is what I was afraid if when wondering what balance NMS would take between science and fun, because what we currently know about astronomy theoretically makes some really cool stuff possible in our real universe.

Planets with three or four suns and moons looming large in the sky are theoretically possible. Astronomers theorize the existence of tidally locked planets where one side is hot and the other side is an eternal glacier. I saw one such planet in Space Engine today where the dark side is occasionally lit by a massive moon that orbits the planet. Every time it comes around the day side it creates a gigantic eclipse. I'm not even getting into theories about ice volcanoes, subglacial oceans, titanic chunks of diamond, or oceans of methane.

All I'm saying is, real science can contribute cool things to a sci-fi artistic vision.

As for navigation, if they did this it would probably be best to give the game a map screen for each system like Elite does. Frontier: Elite II way back in 1993 had two kinds of maps for solar systems: one that just laid out the planets and moons on a 2D diagram, and another that was a scale model orrery showing the system as it is with orbits and such. And while flying in Elite Dangerous you can turn on orbit lines to orient yourself. I was hoping NMS would do all of this, just with planets closer to each other than they would be in real life.

Edit: Example of a picturesque sky in Space Engine. This is supposed to be possible in our real universe.

hynnoIq.png

py7ZTk8.png

Muzicfreq

Banned
I don't think so. And I'm not asking for a realistic solar system model -- Sean actually originally wanted realistic planet distances but the artists overrode him on this because of the images you posted, I'd just like to see a model in this game where planets and moons rotate and orbit. You'd see them shift and you might not get planets in the sky ALL the time, but you'd still get them. Another good way would probably be to put more moons in the sky.

Spaceexperiencessupposed to be a realistic simulation of space, and you can get picturesque skies with planets, moons, and multiple suns surprisingly often. This is what I was afraid if when wondering what balance NMS would take between science and fun, because what we currently know about astronomy theoretically makes some really cool stuff possible in our real universe.

Planets with three or four suns and moons looming large in the sky are theoretically possible. Astronomers theorize the existence of tidally locked planets where one side is hot and the other side is an eternal glacier. I saw one such planet in Space Engine today where the dark side is occasionally lit by a massive moon that orbits the planet. Every time it comes around the day side it creates a gigantic eclipse. I'm not even getting into theories about ice volcanoes, subglacial oceans, titanic chunks of diamond, or oceans of methane.

All I'm saying is, real science can contribute cool things to a sci-fi artistic vision.

As for navigation, if they did this it would probably be best to give the game a map screen for each system like Elite does. Frontier: Elite II way back in 1993 had two kinds of maps for solar systems: one that just laid out the planets and moons on a 2D diagram, and another that was a scale model orrery showing the system as it is with orbits and such. And while flying in Elite Dangerous you can turn on orbit lines to orient yourself. I was hoping NMS would do all of this, just with planets closer to each other than they would be in real life.
Well there you go. Three different games if you want those types of experiences. Does one game have to cover everything?

theWB27

Has anyone else come across the faction ship in the trailers that had the big ring on the under side? I ran into it earlier today.

Zafir

Anyone else getting the game crashing a lot? I'm taking a break for the night because of the crashing

I got some crashing on the PC version when looting the little pods sentinels drop. I stopped looting them as much, and haven't had a crash since.

Everything looks peaceful, but beware! For the long grass is full of angry little rhino men, and they really hate people! They are so tiny so you can't really see them in the grass which actually makes the a bit dangerous. They'll knock you off cliffs and stuff.. Look at this guy!

121194-139402-rhino.png

I love it! I'd probably fall off a cliff just from laughter if those things came after me.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
I see the life support as a way to filter to air that is in the atmosphere and the oxygen bar underwater as a oxygen source underwater ( when the current air can't be filtered ) make sense since all planets have an atmosphere.
Also, whe you land on a planet with little atmosphere it says the life support has to work harder. So it's using more power to collect and filter air. Underwater it's using reserves. Unless you have the aeration membrane.

Honestly the "real" soler system model would actually break one of Sean's other things he mentioned.

He wanted to have the planets closer than they really would be to mimic the artistic science fiction covers and movies where you would see multiple moons or planets on the horizon

If they had actual star system properties you would lose much of this effect

Also I could potentially see it as a confusing task as to where you are with planetary rotation built into that as well.

One of the other issues I could see is you see the trade route lines in the areas in which those would have to follow the roations and AI would need far more programming.

So at some point there had to be a trade off and my guess they wanted to have artistic vision over programming

I don't necessarily want the planets to be orbiting the sun, as that would separate the planets, making navigation just take too long - although I guess that could be sped up.

I just want planets to rotate on their axis, and their day-night cycle to depend on that rotation. I think it should be unrealistically fast also, because I want to be able to see it easily.

RedSwirl

Well there you go. Three different games if you want those types of experiences. Does one game have to cover everything?

All I'm saying is, having some kind of model for orbit and rotation wouldn't kill the vision suggested in those sci-fi images. In fact there are things people have learned about real space that might enhance that artistic vision.

RedSwirl

Well shit. Not a single vendor in my starting system is selling Antimatter (I didn't take the Atlas story path).

So o just want to confirm, if I'm searching for an element such as Iridium, I'm pretty much fucked right? I have to just keep walking until I'm right next to something g and hope it's the right one?

It seems weird that when I do a scan it picks up zinc or platinum or plutonium specifically with a scan, but something like Iridium is just a crap shoot.

Muzicfreq

Banned
Well the center of the galaxy is literally the center. Old Atlas marker was aimed at the front of me for so long having taken a black hole... Now it is behind me again. This map is ginormous

So o just want to confirm, if I'm searching for an element such as Iridium, I'm pretty much fucked right? I have to just keep walking until I'm right next to something g and hope it's the right one?

It seems weird that when I do a scan it picks up zinc or platinum or plutonium specifically with a scan, but something like Iridium is just a crap shoot.

The larger asteroids can be made of iridium. How common iridium asteroids varies per system. On planets, it looks dark grey with red-orange lines running through it, and I've seen it shaped either like a tall rectangular pillar or a shorter half-circle. You can just fly around and spot it from the sky.

Xenthar

So in case most people does'nt know this, if you have a hard time completing the journey milestone for discovering every creature on a planet or finding that one last motherfucker on a planet, heres a pro tips :

Just find a planet with no life and upload by pressing X ( PS4 ) where it usually says get 300 000 or whatever units for uploading discover. I actually discovered that on a system with 2 planet and 2 moon, While none of them had life.

Now give me some pro tips to get that extreme survival milestones 8 hours bull shit =( I'm on a good planet for that, about 2hours in, planet is so empty, so boring. Beautiful freezing ocean tho.

megalowho

The larger asteroids can be made of iridium. How common iridium asteroids varies per system. On planets, it looks dark grey with red-orange lines running through it, and I've seen it shaped either like a tall rectangular pillar or a shorter half-circle. You can just fly around and spot it from the sky.
Yeah, when it comes to Iridium, Copper, Nickel or Aluminum asteroid mining is the way to go. With some upgrades you melt through the bigger rocks.

So in case most people does'nt know this, if you have a hard time completing the journey milestone for discovering every creature on a planet or finding that one last motherfucker on a planet, heres a pro tips :

Just find a planet with no life and upload by pressing X ( PS4 ) where it usually says get 300 000 or whatever units for uploading discover. I actually discovered that on a system with 2 planet and 2 moon, While none of them had life.

Now give me some pro tips to get that extreme survival milestones 8 hours bull shit =( I'm on a good planet for that, about 2hours in, planet is so empty, so boring. Beautiful freezing ocean tho.

I'm just gonna do that this weekend. Play a game on my PC and hang out on an extreme planet for 8 hours, recharging my life support when needed

lt519

Extreme Sentinel planets count, don't have to deal with the elements and it actually can be fun scouring the planet for rare items and fighting sentinels versus being boring and hiding out in a shelter.

So I keep continually getting upgrades that I already have learned from every upgrade acquisition option: wrecks, containers, dialogue, terminals, etc. Have I learned all the ones in the game already? I still only have one Omega level upgrade, do the different trees stop in different places?

I'm still loving the game but I'd be pretty bummed if I'd learned every recipe there was to learn or if I've got some game-breaking bug going on.

Extreme Sentinel planets count, don't have to deal with the elements and it actually can be fun scouring the planet for rare items and fighting sentinels versus being boring and hiding out in a shelter.

This is probably the most manageable of all. Good idea.

Beaulieu

finally found all species on a planet. 7 animals. uploaded them all. says 100%. trophy doesnt pop, in the journey tracker is says I still have 0 planet where I found all species, didnt get the milestone, etc.

anything Im supposed to do ??

edit : nm it wasnt clear I had to press X on the message.

lt519

This is probably the most manageable of all. Good idea.

Found one a long time ago and reached one sol before I left, I have too much ADD about staying on planets for long. In retrospect it would have been great to save up some cash and get the achievement. Not sure I'll go for it unless I find another Extreme Sentinel planet.

tchocky

finally found all species on a planet. 7 animals. uploaded them all. says 100%. trophy doesnt pop, in the journey tracker is says I still have 0 planet where I found all species, didnt get the milestone, etc.

anything Im supposed to do ??

I think you are supposed to click where it says 100%.

edit: nevermind saw your edit.

Jonbo298

I found Bob's....sibling? Was already scanned under Bob. The stuff of nightmares.

It was difficult getting myself on top of one of the rocks to get a picture of how intense these look at dusk. By the time I got on it, dusk was ending so the colors muted a little. The little things are still amazing in their own way.

Can someone help/spoil me with something? I'm getting a bit bored playing because I feel like I'm not making any progress:

I'm doing the path of the Atlas. I got to the giant floating Atlas place, it gives me an Atlas Stone and a waypoint, then I warp a few systems over, find the Polo and whatever dude, and I tell them I'll continue going to the Atlas, and they show me where the next one is, and I eventually get there and I get an Atlas Stone and a waypoint...

I don't understand the point of what I'm doing. Game hasn't explained what these Atlas Stones are doing. It all feels so pointless. Should I just ask for the blackhole thing next time I see Polo?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Got back over to the system with the planet I had waypointed before, to make some cash. It's the Emerald Hills system, which is just named after the Emerald Hill Zone in Sonic the Hedgehog. If you ever happen to come across it, there's money to be made right next to the space station.

Sacvenom Dunes is an incredibly weird and incredibly lucrative planet. It's a desert with floating eels and fish in the sky.
And these of course.

I ran around a bunch before I started farming to find a trading bot, took forever but there was one. I named the waypoint appropriately.

Went from 1.5 to 10mil, I believe I'll now spend 5 or 6 of that on a new ship and start a lazy cruise toward the center. Also grabbed 3 more atlas stones on the way in, not a bad night's work. I need to cut myself off a little earlier tonight as I'm going to die from lack of sleep. Honestly I have no desire to be progressing any faster than I am so far.

I did have my first crash on PC and get the 100% bug on this planet, though. Hoping those are ironed out in one of these two patches coming up.

OuterLimits

Really wish the game had lightning and thunder. Would be cool as well to see lightning flashing when in orbit of a planet on occasion. Oh and are the cloud patterns same while on each planet? Certainly looks that way.

Right now extreme weather warnings consist of some very light precipitation and some wind.

krae_man

Okay I don't know what the hell's going on.

I finally started playing the game tonight and I'm going around figuring out how things work and collecting all the different elements etc and I get Plutonium or whatever the the final element I needed to leave the planet and I look at my resources and decide to get some more carbon before I leave and all of a sudden I start uncontrolably meleeing constantly. Even if my controller is just sitting on the table not being touched my dude is elbowing air non stop.

I give up trying to collect resources and try to leave the planet and it's telling me how to leave the planet in the bottom corner but I can't do it because I'm now uncontrollably barrel rolling non stop.

Did my controller shit the bed or did I trigger a weird bug?

I remember playing watch dogs a couple months ago and having menus scroll without me doing anything a couple times but nothing this bad and constant.

Has anyone had their ship randomly lock onto groups of ships off planet? I'd just got to a new planet as was about to land when I saw that my ship had locked onto to something in deep space. I boosted my way there and discovered it was a group of three ships just flying in the middle of nowhere. I had locked onto all 3. Any idea what or who they are?

Okay I don't know what the hell's going on.

I finally started playing the game tonight and I'm going around figuring out how things work and collecting all the different elements etc and I get Plutonium or whatever the the final element I needed to leave the planet and I look at my resources and decide to get some more carbon before I leave and all of a sudden I start uncontrolably meleeing constantly. Even if my controller is just sitting on the table not being touched my dude is elbowing air non stop.

I give up trying to collect resources and try to leave the planet and it's telling me how to leave the planet in the bottom corner but I can't do it because I'm now uncontrollably barrel rolling non stop.

Did my controller shit the bed or did I trigger a weird bug?

I remember playing watch dogs a couple months ago and having menus scroll without me doing anything a couple times but nothing this bad and constant.

Did you try turning off your controller and turning it back on ?

E92 M3

Really happy: Scored a 33 slot ship for 7.xx mil. Went from a 20!

Left me with about 5 mil to play with and save. 33 should last me for a while.

OuterLimits

Wasn't aware some ships being sold had less slots than starter ship. The ship looked huge as well but only had 12 slots for a cheap 36,000 units.

My current ship has 19 slots and needs to be retired. Time to go planet exploring and fix one up I guess

Top Bottom