• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

What time last night? I literally found a planet last night where everything but the planet had been uploaded and just uploaded the default name. Your name isn't PhilD2001 is it?
Nope! My PSN name is WordAssassin :)

I guess I'm not actually pissed I'm just kinda frustrated and disappointed, I was wandering around the planet scanning things and uploading them and then the planet itself suddenly was named by someone else and not a single other thing was uploaded by that player. I 100%ed the planet but didn't get to name it, I don't think they even actually landed on it.

Your discoveries are not part of the database until you upload them. Before uploading them (whether or not you name them), it's basically the equivalent of playing in offline mode- where multiple people could "discover" the same thing. If you're offline I assume you can still "name and upload" things, but this isn't actually doing anything- if someone online went to the same planet obviously that stuff would be undiscovered.

Yesterday in the thread someone said they realized they were on the same planet as someone else and they were seeing discoveries pop up on the page from the other player, so essentially they were racing each to discover and upload stuff in real time, which I actually found kinda cool.
Ah interesting. So if the servers were down and two people were scanning things and uploading them for credits, basically whoever connected to the server first would claim the discoveries? Huh. Honestly I guess I can't think of a better way to do it. Just was a huge bummer to 100% the planet but not get to name it myself, seems the other person just did a flyby claim. ):

LqKkcad.jpg

Man, this fucking game.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Ah interesting. So if the servers were down and two people were scanning things and uploading them for credits, basically whoever connected to the server first would claim the discoveries? Huh. Honestly I guess I can't think of a better way to do it. Just was a huge bummer to 100% the planet but not get to name it myself, seems the other person just did a flyby claim. ):
Yes, and at the same time if your internet connection went out, your game wouldn't stop you from uploading it and if someone else named it before you reconnected you wouldn't then get to rename it. Everything is in favor of you not being interrupted/singleplayer friendly except for the Discoveries network.

But yeah, it sucks to have the name of the planet snatched from you, honestly it's crazy to think that that happened. After you landed on it but before you left, someone else flew by and claimed it. What.

I have seen a wing near me that was all discovered by someone a whole bunch of systems, not that far. I am very curious if people who are finding each other generally happened to be on
the same atlas path

mokeyjoe

Finished the Atlas path, and decided there wasn't much left to do but burn rubber to the centre. 10k light years in and I'm definitely seeing some different stuff. Just small things like different monoliths and number puzzles. Also found my first planet with super aggressive animals. Horrid little spider things that attacked me 5 at a time. Bastard things were everywhere.

Also picked up a neat biological looking multitool. It's all chitinous and looks just like a Warhammer 40k Tyranid weapon. Saw a multitool that was pure gold too.

Really wish the game had lightning and thunder. Would be cool as well to see lightning flashing when in orbit of a planet on occasion. Oh and are the cloud patterns same while on each planet? Certainly looks that way.

Right now extreme weather warnings consist of some very light precipitation and some wind.

I haven't heard thunder, but the Extreme planet I was on last night has storms that kick things up to a cozy 285ºC, and I could see flashes of lightning in the sky through the heavy dust. Not lightning bolts as far as I could tell, but the kind that illuminates the sky way up. I don't think you can see those from space though, as even when flying up a bit into the atmosphere the dusty winds disappear.

So I've got two icons floating on my screen when flying around a planet. One says trading post and another says abandon building. My objective is telling some technology is available at the building. But I cannot reach it. It has some 30 minute estimate, so I pulse drive and get it down to about a minute and I can't progress any further to get closer.

Is this a glitch or am I just missing something ? It's always out of reach.

So I've got two icons floating on my screen when flying around a planet. One says trading post and another says abandon building. My objective is telling some technology is available at the building. But I cannot reach it. It has some 30 minute estimate, so I pulse drive and get it down to about a minute and I can't progress any further to get closer.

Is this a glitch or am I just missing something ? It's always out of reach.

It's a weird way they show it on the other side of the planet. Easiest way is to boost up into orbit then use your jump drive to go to the other side and boost back down.

qcf x2

Have you guys ever seen (visible) weather effects like this? When I first landed on this moon, I thought I was going to immediately leave because the weather is the worst I've ever seen in this game (and I've been to toxic, radioactive & extreme cold worlds). However, I was amused by the amount of wildlife that had no problem with temperatures that would likely make them melt into goo, so I stuck around for a bit. It's now probably my favorite or 2nd favorite world I've discovered so far. Despite the difficulty factor, it's absolutely stunning to take in. Also, the giant crab actually shakes the ground around it, first time I've encountered a creature that does that.

ISee

Have you guys ever seen (visible) weather effects like this? When I first landed on this moon, I thought I was going to immediately leave because the weather is the worst I've ever seen in this game (and I've been to toxic, radioactive & extreme cold worlds). However, I was amused by the amount of wildlife that had no problem with temperatures that would likely make them melt into goo, so I stuck around for a bit. It's now probably my favorite or 2nd favorite world I've discovered so far. Despite the difficulty factor, it's absolutely stunning to take in. Also, the giant crab actually shakes the ground around it, first time I've encountered a creature that does that.

Just a 'normal' storm.

Yeah, that's the normal extreme storm effect. Here's the same thing, but for the ice version https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFMdHh0OGPo

molnizzle

Can someone help/spoil me with something? I'm getting a bit bored playing because I feel like I'm not making any progress:

I'm doing the path of the Atlas. I got to the giant floating Atlas place, it gives me an Atlas Stone and a waypoint, then I warp a few systems over, find the Polo and whatever dude, and I tell them I'll continue going to the Atlas, and they show me where the next one is, and I eventually get there and I get an Atlas Stone and a waypoint...

I don't understand the point of what I'm doing. Game hasn't explained what these Atlas Stones are doing. It all feels so pointless. Should I just ask for the blackhole thing next time I see Polo?

It is pointless, but so is getting to the center of the galaxy. The game is what you make of it. It's definitely not for everybody.

But to spoil you, at the end of the Atlas path (after 10 of those red space stations) you can put your 10 Atlas Stones inside of the orb. It will spawn a new solar system which will contain a new player's starter planet. You just have to take the game's word for it. After that you will also be able to see black holes on the map without talking to Polo.

mokeyjoe

Yeah, the really big ones shake the ground :)

I've just been to a snow planet with particularly nasty storms. Couldn't see more than about 10 or 20 feet. It was even worse at night when everything turned purple.

mokeyjoe

Just finished the Atlas path, didn't know about that last thing. I guess I hadn't really been looking before and just thought they were always there. Helps that my warp drive is now a Theta too I guess.

DjRalford

One of my moons I found last night is a beautiful snowy forest moon.

Will see if I can get my screenshots off the PlayStation later, there's trees everywhere.

pip77

Tonight I tried out the ship progression guide that HalfBakedProphet posted in the OT. I'm up to a 42 slot ship now.
6k9gW8ql.png

I also got the max slots on my exosuit
Gi6Z2Qbl.png

A 'first' I encountered was a drop pod and crashed ship in the same space:
ia0o4Prl.png

Muzicfreq

Banned
So further upgrading my mining laser....
Coolant is A MUST on all things like weapon systems in ship and mining laser

Found out that it doesn't reduce the cooldown from overheating. Instead it increases their durations.

Cannons on the Little Ducky (My ship) last a really REALLY long time before I need to reset.

Added a couple coolants to my mining laser... SHEEESH it's practically a laser sword

Also looking to replace my ship with a fighter. I feel like there is a subtle difference. more with how the camera works.

I'm not seeing anyone mention it but I got the latest patch on PS4 (1.03) and I'm never sensitive to various performance issues but I feel like my FPS and the pop in got really really bad with the latest update. Am I delusional or is anyone else having this issue?

Trojan

Reposting for new page...hope someone can help with out with this question, not sure what I should do regarding my path:

OK, so I've got 3 Atlus stones so far and I've basically spent a bunch of time messing around and upgrading my ship. I've now got 3 warp drives - Sigma, Tau, and Theta - all connecting so I'm getting the bonus. I think my warp drive is about top level or near that.

My question is: can I just bee-line to the center of the Galaxy, or do I still need to collect Atlus Stones? At this point I'd probably rather just head straight there and stop and random systems to refuel and sight-see, but I don't want to ignore Atlus Stations or Space Anomolies if I need to be getting materials there.

Have you guys ever seen (visible) weather effects like this? When I first landed on this moon, I thought I was going to immediately leave because the weather is the worst I've ever seen in this game (and I've been to toxic, radioactive & extreme cold worlds).

As I mentioned above I was on an Extreme heat planet last night, but my storm temperature level was about double yours (285C), and visually the "storminess" of the winds looked far more intense, almost like a hurricane, in addition to lightning. It may be the severity of the storm is linked to the severity of the environmental hazard.

edit: I just went back to that planet and when a storm appears, it says "EXTREME STORM" as opposed to just "STORM". Melts my shielding like butter, even with heat protection.

Also looking to replace my ship with a fighter. I feel like there is a subtle difference. more with how the camera works.

It does seem that there are certain hull types which favor certain upgrade paths. Some have all adjacent upgrade squares in ship inventory blocked except shields and pulse engine, some have only offensive weapons unblocked, some have only engines unblocked. I've been wondering if this is part of the ship class differences that were toned down.

Really love the planet I'm on. Besides some thermal cold it's a gorgeous planet with friendly animals and nice sentinels . Tons of resources everywhere but none that valuable . Still I will be sad to leave it go , it's by far the best planet I have been on.

Ironically there is a shithole planet in the sky and it has graviton balls everywhere .

EVO

Is it possible to locate monoliths that you've visited? I found one last night with a gorgeous view, but I didn't get a screenshot. I'd love to go back there.

r1chard

Have I made a horrible mistake
selling the Atlas stones
because I ran out of inventory space and they seemed pointless?

Is it possible to locate monoliths that you've visited? I found one last night with a gorgeous view, but I didn't get a screenshot. I'd love to go back there.
You can leave yourself "waypoints" by using the scanner and looking at buildings, though I've not tried that with a monolith.

IvanJ

Banned
Reposting for new page...hope someone can help with out with this question, not sure what I should do regarding my path:

OK, so I've got 3 Atlus stones so far and I've basically spent a bunch of time messing around and upgrading my ship. I've now got 3 warp drives - Sigma, Tau, and Theta - all connecting so I'm getting the bonus. I think my warp drive is about top level or near that.

My question is: can I just bee-line to the center of the Galaxy, or do I still need to collect Atlus Stones? At this point I'd probably rather just head straight there and stop and random systems to refuel and sight-see, but I don't want to ignore Atlus Stations or Space Anomolies if I need to be getting materials there.
Atlas Path is sort of a side-quest, so you can ignore it if you wish.
My suggestion is to visit one space anomaly, so you can get Atlas Pass V1, that helps you unlock those canisters, and they contain warp drive fuel.

I did do Atlas Path first, so I don't know what skipping it does to usage of Black Holes, my first BH was found when completing Atlas Path.

molnizzle

The center of the galaxy is so far away that you might as well just get your 10 Atlas stones first. It's on the way anyway, you're just sacrificing inventory space until you offload all 10 of them at the end. After that you'll be able to see black holes on the map without talking to Polo which can be quite helpful in reaching the center.

Out 1

I'm thinking of picking this up for PC since my PS4 copy from Amazon got delayed. How well my 6700K/970/16gb rig will handle this in 1440p? I know this is not a good PC port, so the performance might be lacking even on systems with 1080.

molnizzle

Have I made a horrible mistake
selling the Atlas stones
because I ran out of inventory space and they seemed pointless?

Yes. Dupe them back while you still can.

I'm thinking of picking this up for PC since my PS4 copy from Amazon got delayed. How well my 6700K/970/16gb rig will handle this in 1440p? I know this is not a good PC port, so the performance might be lacking even on systems with 1080.

1440p? Not well. Definitely gonna be dipping under 60fps more than you're hitting it. With a 970 I still dip quite a bit at 1080p.

Razgreez

The fighter style ships definitely feel more maneuverable. Although, the old 29 slot fighter i had felt better than the current 48 slot one. Could just be my imagination. Cargo, scout, fighter types definitely do feel discernibly different though

molnizzle

The fighter style ships definitely feel more maneuverable. Although, the old 29 slot fighter i had felt better than the current 48 slot one. Could just be my imagination. Cargo, scout, fighter types definitely do feel discernibly different though

I'm pretty sure that all ahi ps handle exactly the same. Those other ones probably felt better because they had upgrades installed.

lt519

Was about to post that the game was running extremely well tonight with my internet connection turned off and it just hard locked my PS4. I had to actually unplug it.

I really really like the game but there are just some unbelievably frustrating aspects to it. Beyond the crashing it always seems that I get a planet down to one or two unknown species and they are absolutely nowhere to be found. The planets I did complete one just randomly spawns after a few hours of exploring in a random spot. I check caves, oceans, etc.

I also am in free explore mode and I aim myself directly at the bright star everytime and a 700+ light year jump only results in a distance that is 200-300 light years closer. So confusing. Without the Theta upgrade it'd take me 200 jumps to get to the center but with it only counting a third of the light years it'd be something like 600 jumps which is just absurd.

Razgreez

I'm pretty sure that all ahi ps handle exactly the same. Those other ones probably felt better because they had upgrades installed.

Could be that. I've not been paying attention to the upgrades at the moment. Not actually been doing anything specific just wandering aimlessly come to think of it

How do you stop yourself from endlessly grind farming plentiful planets? It's sort of ruining the game for me but I can't stop myself, first it was mining emeril and now it's grav balls. I'm only in my third system as well....

Yep, it's why I'm not bothering with really any upgrades until I get my 48 slot

That's what I did. Bought a 33 slot ship yesterday, then did the crashed ship grind to a 48 slot today. Installed all my upgrades and now have nothing left to do as my multi-tool and exosuit are maxed out as well. B-Lined it to the end of the atlas line.

Guess I am done for now :-(

lt519

I really hope they make this attainable while being fun in a future patch. I refuse to spend 8 hours on one planet in extreme temperatures.

And people say there aren't large animals (excuse the poor screenshot). Check out the size of that dude in the distance. They were massive up close (and docile).

molnizzle

I really hope they make this attainable while being fun in a future patch. I refuse to spend 8 hours on one planet in extreme temperatures.

How did you get all the zoology milestones? I've yet to get even a single planet fully charted.

For extreme conditions though you can handle it in different sessions. Also still counts if you're hanging in a cave, protected from the elements. It's not so bad really.

lt519

How did you get all the zoology milestones? I've yet to get even a single planet fully charted.

For extreme conditions though you can handle it in different sessions. Also still counts if you're hanging in a cave, protected from the elements. It's not so bad really.

I only did 3 legit, left two or three at one or two species left. But yeah if you find a desolate planet you can upload it automatically.

Can you do it on different planets? I've spent time on different extremes and never see it go past the 1.0 Sol so I assumed you need to do it on one planet in one go.

Top Bottom