• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

sugarless

Tried making a panorama by stitching screenshots together. Not the best environment for it but hope to have more to come!

Z4ooGTv.png

I love my ship, the Sushibets, but the cockpit is so high up that any time I jump out on downward sloping ground I hurt myself…

magawolaz

Tried making a panorama by stitching screenshots together. Not the best environment for it but hope to have more to come!
Nice! But you should show more of the environment (imho)

I love panoramas. Have a whole album on Flickr for them (all pre-1.1)
Now with the HUD toggle they should be even easier to do.

sugarless

Nice! But you should show more of the environment (imho)

I love panoramas. Have a whole album on Flickr for them (all pre-1.1)
Now with the HUD toggle they should be even easier to do.

Yeah, it was only once they were stitched that it became clear that to crop straight edges, much of what I thought I was taking photos of was being lost. Will be trying for a better view of a planet next time!

Your album is great btw!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
baadeon.png

Oooh awesome.

Can't wait to get back into the skies :>

edit: Dang, no suit upgrade pods in space stations anymore? That is going to make a new save considerably harder...

Well I finally put 10-12 hours into SURVIVAL MODE over the last few nights. There's a nugget of fun in a more brutal, demanding NMS, but unfortunately the limitations of the inventory system, or possibly the punishment for movement, cut that fun off at the knees.

Survival mode makes resource management a much more important task. Which is fine, it's what you expect in a mode dedicated around "survival". Unfortunately, because life support drains so quickly (ESPECIALLY with movement), and because it can be so hit-or-miss whether you'll find the resources to replenish that life support, it actually severely limits exploration in the game. Your ship becomes your safe space, and the radius you can reasonably explore from there is a fairly limited without a full inventory of replenishment items (this is doubly so on extreme environment planets). NMS is all about exploration, but the limitations in Survival mode are so severe, going more than 1km from your ship is near suicide without an Exosuit already full of Thamium and Plutonium (or being on a planet just littered with those elements). Add on top of that the harsh limitation of one launch per 200 plutonium, and it makes most exploration a chore.

What would fix this? Well, no one thing would really make this better, but better stacking would certainly help a lot. The fact that we STILL cannot stack consumables on our person, when we can stack more "value" in the raw materials that make those consumables, just drives me insane. I'm not even looking for a lot of stacking (could be as low as 3 per stack in your exosuit), but crafting items should give you MORE value per slot, not less. Especially when there is no downside to using raw materials to accomplish the same function as consumable. I've also found it rare to be on a planet with plentiful Plutonium, but scarce in Thamium, making the transitive properties of the Power Gel of little consequence. In fact the only place where Thamium is typically scarce but Plutonium is plentiful is in caves, but caves are also usually devoid of Carbon, making that trade-off no better than just returning to the surface to hunt for Thamium.

"But wouldn't Exosuit consumable stacking make Survival mode easier?" you ask? In one way, sort of (it certainly reduces the tedium), but Survival should be more than just active resource management. NMS needs more environmental hazards. Even in survival, not enough of the creatures are aggressive, and on Aggressive Sentinel planets, Sentinels are just a constant, unavoidable annoyance that makes exploring those planets not really worth the trouble. Sure, large falls can kill you, but those are easily mitigated. There are still only a few plants that are dangerous, and caves are too safe, even if resources in them are scarce. No lava, no deadly gaseous clouds, no dangerous caves, too few dangerous plants or animals, too reliant on the unrelenting Sentinel army for "challenge", and too reliant on random resource placement for survival.

I hope they tweak it a bit and add more things to the world to improve Survival mode (and the inventory system) so it feels more like I'm surviving, and less like I'm just fighting an ever present, incessantly ticking clock.

So, here are some thoughts - I bought a cheap freighter (cost:
7mil
) and I was at first thinking that I should have built my first terminal on my actual planet-side base instead of on my freighter but I'm now thinking that it might be to my favor in having my terminals and staff in my freighter rather than inside my base.

1) I don't have to go back to my base to have them do stuff - it's easy to just summon the freighter.
2) I encountered a bug with a base quest where I couldn't get inside an underwater base to get an item. To fix it I just simply jumped to another system, summoned my freighter and reacquired the quest from the builder terminal and he gave me a new quest marker in that new system. Quest fixed.
3) I decided to start a new base so it was easy to dismantle my old planet-side base without having to worry about losing terminals and staff.

Yeah. Just some thoughts I had on base building certain components within freighters. Think I'll add the extra storage cargo modules inside my freighter too (once I build them). So glad that you can have base elements within your freighter in addition to a planet-side base.

What are other people's thoughts on what I said above?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I appreciate that analysis. After more thought I might stick with my Normal save and continue on. I wanted the elements and hazards to count more than they did previously, but I also never really wanted NMS to be a stressful experience. I think the slightly refreshed difficulty of Normal with the resources and tech changes will be fine. Plus I really love my ship. :p

Maybe I will see if there's any hope of traveling back to my starter system to check it out or if it's long-lost.
So, here are some thoughts - I bought a cheap freighter (cost:
7mil
) and I was at first thinking that I should have built my first terminal on my actual planet-side base instead of on my freighter but I'm now thinking that it might be to my favor in having my terminals and staff in my freighter rather than inside my base.

1) I don't have to go back to my base to have them do stuff - it's easy to just summon the freighter.
2) I encountered a bug with a base quest where I couldn't get inside an underwater base to get an item. To fix it I just simply jumped to another system, summoned my freighter and reacquired the quest from the builder terminal and he gave me a new quest marker in that new system. Quest fixed.
3) I decided to start a new base so it was easy to dismantle my old planet-side base without having to worry about losing terminals and staff.

Yeah. Just some thoughts I had on base building certain components within freighters. Think I'll add the extra storage cargo modules inside my freighter too (once I build them). So glad that you can have base elements within your freighter in addition to a planet-side base.

What are other people's thoughts on what I said above?
I am much, much more interested in getting a freighter and really building it up than establishing an extensive base (although knowing about the teleportation, I am somewhat interested as opposed to not at all interested like I was prior). I think it makes perfect sense to have your most convenient resources and tools in your freighter that can follow you around the galaxy

LeBart

My botanist is asking me to go find something in a ruin (it's his 3rd quest, after the sac venom and gravitino balls), says he marked the place on the map, but when I exit the conversation there is no marker.
Is that a bug ?

Sorry for the auto-quote, but this is just too funny. I spent an hour finding a good spot for a new base (as someone suggested), took the time to build most of my base the way it was because SURELY the same thing wouldn't happen twice. Finally got back to my botanist and this fucker sent me on the ocean floor, where I suppose the game thinks there's a ruin but instead there's nothing except a stupid looking fish looking at me funny.
This game hates me.

Sorry for the auto-quote, but this is just too funny. I spent an hour finding a good spot for a new base (as someone suggested), took the time to build most of my base the way it was because SURELY the same thing wouldn't happen twice. Finally got back to my botanist and this fucker sent me on the ocean floor, where I suppose the game thinks there's a ruin but instead there's nothing except a stupid looking fish looking at me funny.
This game hates me.

Please file a bug report so this can get fixed: https://hellogames.zendesk.com/hc/en-us

I'm surprised they still haven't fixed putting POIs underwater yet.

This game hates me.

If I may make a recommendation: Anyone having problems with quest markers may want to try the following:
1) If their staff is on a base in their freighter (like mine are) then just warp to a new system and go back and talk to the quest-giver - they should give you a new marker in the new system (which this time hopefully will work).
2) If your quest-giver is on a planet-side base then you may want to try quitting out and getting back into your game. I don't think this helps but it might (I'm not sure).
3) If all else fails, you may want to jump to another system, save and quit, and then when you get back into your game, try going back to your base (teleporter is probably fastest and it doesn't waste a warp cell) and then seeing if the quest-giver might give you a new location for the quest. EDIT: Saving and quitting may not even be necessary here but it wouldn't hurt.

I think that markers in the game are only kept by the game for the system you currently are in between game saves. I *think* (but not sure) that markers from quests and system scans are forgotten about when you change systems.

Nameless

Haven't started building yet but I've been having a lot of fun coming home, throwing on Spotify, and searching for a home world for an hour or so a night. This game still fondles my inner space nerd something serious.

Tigress

Well I finally put 10-12 hours into SURVIVAL MODE over the last few nights. There's a nugget of fun in a more brutal, demanding NMS, but unfortunately the limitations of the inventory system, or possibly the punishment for movement, cut that fun off at the knees.

Survival mode makes resource management a much more important task. Which is fine, it's what you expect in a mode dedicated around "survival". Unfortunately, because life support drains so quickly (ESPECIALLY with movement), and because it can be so hit-or-miss whether you'll find the resources to replenish that life support, it actually severely limits exploration in the game. Your ship becomes your safe space, and the radius you can reasonably explore from there is a fairly limited without a full inventory of replenishment items (this is doubly so on extreme environment planets). NMS is all about exploration, but the limitations in Survival mode are so severe, going more than 1km from your ship is near suicide without an Exosuit already full of Thamium and Plutonium (or being on a planet just littered with those elements). Add on top of that the harsh limitation of one launch per 200 plutonium, and it makes most exploration a chore.

What would fix this? Well, no one thing would really make this better, but better stacking would certainly help a lot. The fact that we STILL cannot stack consumables on our person, when we can stack more "value" in the raw materials that make those consumables, just drives me insane. I'm not even looking for a lot of stacking (could be as low as 3 per stack in your exosuit), but crafting items should give you MORE value per slot, not less. Especially when there is no downside to using raw materials to accomplish the same function as consumable. I've also found it rare to be on a planet with plentiful Plutonium, but scarce in Thamium, making the transitive properties of the Power Gel of little consequence. In fact the only place where Thamium is typically scarce but Plutonium is plentiful is in caves, but caves are also usually devoid of Carbon, making that trade-off no better than just returning to the surface to hunt for Thamium.

"But wouldn't Exosuit consumable stacking make Survival mode easier?" you ask? In one way, sort of (it certainly reduces the tedium), but Survival should be more than just active resource management. NMS needs more environmental hazards. Even in survival, not enough of the creatures are aggressive, and on Aggressive Sentinel planets, Sentinels are just a constant, unavoidable annoyance that makes exploring those planets not really worth the trouble. Sure, large falls can kill you, but those are easily mitigated. There are still only a few plants that are dangerous, and caves are too safe, even if resources in them are scarce. No lava, no deadly gaseous clouds, no dangerous caves, too few dangerous plants or animals, too reliant on the unrelenting Sentinel army for "challenge", and too reliant on random resource placement for survival.

I hope they tweak it a bit and add more things to the world to improve Survival mode (and the inventory system) so it feels more like I'm surviving, and less like I'm just fighting an ever present, incessantly ticking clock.

I will simply say getting a grenade launcher makes walking around much more easy and I don't stay too close to my ship unless I don't want a large walk back. Also, keep around some platinum and you can mine iron and get shielding shards that will replenish your hazard protection. Even better if you have a shield against that element. Charge that with a shielding charge instead and your hazard protection will recharge (arrows will claim it's not but if you watch the line goes up) while the shield is up making that shard last longer.

mokeyjoe

I'm about as far as you and I sort of agree and sort of disagree. For me, while it limits the 'amount' of exploration, it also makes it a more rewarding endeavor, and in fact less of a 'chore'. When you need certain items you're forced to explore, and you have to prepare for it. You have to figure risk against reward, and it makes the successes more hard won and significant. It also makes the things you actually find mean something. Sheer cliffs and ravines are real obstacles, and when you're near to death finding a cave or stumbling across a shelter can be a massive relief. It makes things meaningful, and gives the things you find value, as opposed to being something you just pass by.

To be honest I really feel like land vehicles would make a big difference in survival, saving your life support and letting you explore a wider area. Signs are that they're on the way.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Question, I'm kind of trapped on a desolate low-resource planet with no plutonium to launch my ship, is there a way to get out of this situation easily? There just doesn't seem to be an ounce of plutonium on this planet.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
So this a silly question considering how many hours I've already sunk into this game, but how do I verify whether I accepted the Atlas path or not?

I started this game on launch day, then dropped it only to pick it back up multiple times. And I *thought* I accepted it at my first planet, but now I'm not sure anymore.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Make walking and running a little faster and just raise those plutonium spawns too. Survival mode is almost there but hard is great, frustrating is not.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So this a silly question considering how many hours I've already sunk into this game, but how do I verify whether I accepted the Atlas path or not?

I started this game on launch day, then dropped it only to pick it back up multiple times. And I *thought* I accepted it at my first planet, but now I'm not sure anymore.
If you go to your galactic map and press L1/R1 to switch between paths, you should have an "Atlas path" if you did indeed accept it and complete the initial mission.
Make walking and running a little faster and just raise those plutonium spawns too. Survival mode is almost there but hard is great, frustrating is not.
You are boost dashing around right? Forward -> melee -> jetpack?

I'm still torn about Survival. I generally think of NMS as a relaxing experience. But then again I really love the feeling of accomplishment and relief when overcoming terrible odds in survival games.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
If you go to your galactic map and press L1/R1 to switch between paths, you should have an "Atlas path" if you did indeed accept it and complete the initial mission.

You are boost dashing around right? Forward -> melee -> jetpack?

I'm still torn about Survival. I generally think of NMS as a relaxing experience. But then again I really love the feeling of accomplishment and relief when overcoming terrible odds in survival games.

Running and walking should still be a tad faster. Give Survival mode a go and you'll understand why those three simple requests will make all the difference.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Ah fuck. Definitely not on the path. Out of curiosity, what was the first Atlas mission?

Either way, it seems there's still a way to join the path. So I'll seek it out.

I'm about as far as you and I sort of agree and sort of disagree. For me, while it limits the 'amount' of exploration, it also makes it a more rewarding endeavor, and in fact less of a 'chore'. When you need certain items you're forced to explore, and you have to prepare for it. You have to figure risk against reward, and it makes the successes more hard won and significant. It also makes the things you actually find mean something. Sheer cliffs and ravines are real obstacles, and when you're near to death finding a cave or stumbling across a shelter can be a massive relief. It makes things meaningful, and gives the things you find value, as opposed to being something you just pass by.

To be honest I really feel like land vehicles would make a big difference in survival, saving your life support and letting you explore a wider area. Signs are that they're on the way.

I hear you, and I definitely get the rewarding part. Thing is, I still got that feeling to a certain degree in the vanilla game, just on very extreme environment planets early on when I would go on long treks to hunt for wildlife and resources. Here, I can't ever imagine going on anything I would even remotely consider a "trek" in Survival mode, unless it's the most benign planet and I can be assured every 50 feet I'll be tripping over Plutonium and Thamium to keep from choking to death because I dared to run a little. It just seems overly punitive and doesn't feel like it adds "challenge" to the game, just tedium. I'd probably mind this whole grind less if moving your ship (landing pads excluded) didn't take so much resources every time.

And agreed, a land vehicle would help things immensely given Survival's limitations. But given how Survival is currently tuned, you'd probably have to pump that thing full of plutonium every 3 minutes just to keep it mobile.

I'm also of a mind that the save system should be more restrictive in Survival (like a single save system). But that might not be smart considering the game can probably still be a bit buggy. Perhaps a good compromise would be a 2 save system, a rolling save, and one save whenever you dock at a space station. That way it limits save scumming, but prevents the possibility of single save corruption.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Running and walking should still be a tad faster. Give Survival mode a go and you'll understand why those three simple requests will make all the difference.
I don't want to walk anywhere. Walking is nice for looking around/sightseeing but for actually accomplishing anything or getting from A to B I only ever boost dash. If this is less efficient than walking to actually get around in Survival because of the life support drain, I'm definitely out.
Ah fuck. Definitely not on the path. Out of curiosity, what was the first Atlas mission?

Either way, it seems there's still a way to join the path. So I'll seek it out.
It directs you to a monolith and gives you some cryptic lore, then puts the path to the first Atlas station on your galactic map.

mokeyjoe

I hear you, and I definitely get the rewarding part. Thing is, I still got that feeling to a certain degree in the vanilla game, just on very extreme environment planets early on when I would go on long treks to hunt for wildlife and resources. Here, I can't ever imagine going on anything I would even remotely consider a "trek" in Survival mode, unless it's the most benign planet and I can be assured every 50 feet I'll be tripping over Plutonium and Thamium to keep from choking to death because I dared to run a little. It just seems overly punitive and doesn't feel like it adds "challenge" to the game, just tedium. I'd probably mind this whole grind less if moving your ship (landing pads excluded) didn't take so much resources every time.

And agreed, a land vehicle would help things immensely given Survival's limitations. But given how Survival is currently tuned, you'd probably have to pump that thing full of plutonium every 3 minutes just to keep it mobile.

I'm also of a mind that the save system should be more restrictive in Survival (like a single save system). But that might not be smart considering the game can probably still be a bit buggy. Perhaps a good compromise would be a 2 save system, a rolling save, and one save whenever you dock at a space station. That way it limits save scumming, but prevents the possibility of single save corruption.

I'm fine with the save system, it got me out of being permanently stranded on a nuclear hellhole and having to start over, lol.

The thing is I'm still fairly early in the game, on survival, and I'm not sure how much of a difference getting some of the upgrades will make to my level of mobility.

The launch fuel thing is strange, because is some ways I like it and in some ways it's frustrating. The thing is it's coincided with a huge drop in the number of landing pads on planets. Find a landing pad and you're fine, also, you can summon your ship. I wonder what the rationale for not being able to scan for trading posts is. I mean, you have to land to set up a signal booster, it's not like it would eliminate risk. I suppose they want the risk of heading back to the space station with a hold full of stuff.

I think, like flying your ship around in the atmosphere, vehicles shouldn't require fuel. Otherwise it would be easier to fly your ship (in normal), and discourage vehicle use. A buggy would make a massive difference in survival though, because you could move without losing life support. I'm not sure whether it should afford environmental pprotection though. I'm imagining an open top type thing, like a dune buggy or ATV.

I don't want to walk anywhere. Walking is nice for looking around/sightseeing but for actually accomplishing anything or getting from A to B I only ever boost dash. If this is less efficient than walking to actually get around in Survival because of the life support drain, I'm definitely out.

Lol, overusing the jetpack will kill you in a minute. I nearly died trying to climb a cliff yesterday as it took all my life support. It was either try that or freeze to death. I made it back to shelter with a sliver of LS left. It was the right choice.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Ahh thx, not for me at present then. the basic movement speed on planets is dreadful, boosting around makes the game way way way more fun.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital

It directs you to a monolith and gives you some cryptic lore, then puts the path to the first Atlas station on your galactic map.

Running and jetpacking drains your life support rapidly in Survivor mode, and just because you don't want to 'walk', some of us do from time to time to take in the planets.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Running and jetpacking drains your life support rapidly in Survivor mode, and just because you don't want to 'walk', some of us do from time to time to take in the planets.
but that was like the...
I mean... he literally said that "walking is nice for looking around/sightseeing.
yeah. :p

And the originally complaint was precisely that the walking/running speed is too slow for actually traveling around, which I completely agree with, but is of no concern because I can boost around. The speed is just fine for "taking in the planets," I do so all the time, hell when I did this survey I spent almost the whole time slowly meandering after establishing a few waypoints. I would describe it as a very relaxing speed, which I would imagine contrasts pretty dramatically with the needs of Survival mode. For actual traversal it's kinda god-awful, but the boost is super fun in contrast and actually takes some finesse to use to its fullest potential. I love it.

Not being able to use the jetpack boost to get from place to place is a total dealbreaker for me unfortunately. I get that using the jetpack to climb out of a precarious situation (say, the infinite fuel you get on a vertical surface) should be completely draining in Survival, but if it's not the most efficient means of traveling around then I won't be able to enjoy the mode.

If it's just a matter of needing to fortify your technologies over time to be able to use it regularly again (via Life Support and Jetpack Upgrades I'd imagine) then that's a different story and I might enjoy the initial hardship, but if it's just a requisite of the mode, then bummer.

c0Zm1c

This isn't true. The materials will stay in the containers, not go to the base cache. That's why they're numbered.

If you put 500 rigogen in container #1 and then change bases, all 500 rigogen will still be in container #1 when you rebuild it.

I've just found this out for myself and came to the thread to correct what I said.

Built my new base, and added some containers and yeah, the stuff I put in them previously is still there. That was a nice surprise. :D

I love my ship, the Sushibets, but the cockpit is so high up that any time I jump out on downward sloping ground I hurt myself…

My current ship is like that too and it's why I want a new one!

I don't know, I think it's great that there's three modes now -- Survival for the hardcore people who want a roguelike experience where sometimes RNG (in this case proc gen) will just screw you no matter what, Normal for the goldilocks zone which is more challenging now, and Creative mode if you just want to chill.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Okay. I found a green planet with excellent resources and now I want to move my base to it. My base is currently no more than a few rooms and a construction worker. Will this worker be transferred? If not, am I supposed to find a new one and repeat some of his missions?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Didn't get an answer, but I think I might be stuck on a desolate low-resource planet with no plutonium to launch my ship, is there a way to get out of this situation easily? There just doesn't seem to be an ounce of plutonium on this planet.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I don't know, I think it's great that there's three modes now -- Survival for the hardcore people who want a roguelike experience where sometimes RNG (in this case proc gen) will just screw you no matter what, Normal for the goldilocks zone which is more challenging now, and Creative mode if you just want to chill.
Sorry, I didn't mean to say I was torn on whether or not it's a good thing- just one whether or not I'd make it my main mode of play. It's definitely awesome that there are three modes now.

Generally I really like harsh/roguelike stuff and the satisfaction that comes from progressing within them, so it does appeal to me, but on the other hand I have never considered NMS that type of game, so I might not want to try and force it. For the moment I'm continuing on with my Normal save and pretty happy about it.

--

Played for 90 minutes and hehe this is great. Everything looks awesome... the motion blur is really well done, the quick menu is a total godsend, scanning for elements from space rocks, multiple aliens in buildings makes them feel so much more complete, seeing that inactive portal in the space station made me hanker for a base even though it's not a priority for me... seriously good stuff.

Went out mining in the asteroid fields (the system I'm in is full of gold crystals in them) which is quite relaxing for me. Noticed Nada and Polo were in the system so I wnet to say hi and got a couple new blueprints. Distress signal popped up, pirates attacking a freighter nearby. Went to try and help and accidentally hit a sentinel.. got roasted by the combo.

Was sad, got my corpse and went back to mining and boom the pirates attack again. Yeyeah redemption! Extra careful with my aim this time and I wipe them out. Commander invites me on board, offers me a reward but these are the Korvax and they are my most bro-ist of bros so I refuse, and my already glowing standing with them increases :D

I check out the freighter and he'll sell it for 7 mil, which is right in my price range (and I've got some Callium stockpiled so I won't be completely broke after), but it's a pretty ugly thing. Plus I don't want to save a guy's ship just to take it from him. I leave and notice another freighter over yonder, also 7ish mil but not too attractive. Looks like I can shop around for a while though.

Freighter interiors look great, definitely give me hope for the kind of building interiors I hope to see on certain planets in the future. After this little jaunt I'm glad I'm not starting over, I don't want to lose my ship. It's just such a sweet ride.
Still wish I could name it though. I hope they do add that.

Haven't even set down on a planet yet. :) Think I want to do a couple upgrades via trading and secure a freighter before I hit dirt again.

Honestly even if NMS becomes a game I play only every now and again when:

1) I feel like chilling and exploring the galaxy
2) There's an update and new stuff to aim for

I'll still be pretty satisfied with what it has to offer.

8byte

Banned
Cross post from the other thread:

So I have a mission where I'm supposed to investigate an ancient ruin for Albumen Pearls...but it won't pop up on my map. He keeps saying he marked it, but it never shows up.

Any ideas?

Mathieran

Banned
Booted the game up a few minutes ago for the first time since August, and I am impressed! I enjoyed it before, but they really did some great stuff. Most importantly the two planets I visited were beautiful, they must have done some work with the proc generator. Game just seems smoother too.

Looking forward to stepping back in sometime in the future.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Spaking of resources: Do Vortex Cubes register on scans? If so, what's their icon?

Okay. I found a green planet with excellent resources and now I want to move my base to it. My base is currently no more than a few rooms and a construction worker. Will this worker be transferred? If not, am I supposed to find a new one and repeat some of his missions?

Sorry, I didn't mean to say I was torn on whether or not it's a good thing- just one whether or not I'd make it my main mode of play. It's definitely awesome that there are three modes now.

Cool, yeah I actually haven't had time to try Survival either so I may end up hating it, but I appreciate that they tried to make them somewhat separate experiences instead of just easy/normal/hard.

Cross post from the other thread:

So I have a mission where I'm supposed to investigate an ancient ruin for Albumen Pearls...but it won't pop up on my map. He keeps saying he marked it, but it never shows up.

I'm not that far in building quests, but maybe try getting the Pearls somewhere else? Sometimes I see them for sale by traders/marketplace. If worse comes to worse you could move your base to another spot or planet and ask the crew again.

mokeyjoe

I still find Survival pretty relaxing. You mostly just need to be prepared.

Although I did get trapped in a tiny cave today during a firestorm with a nasty little crab. He was too small and quick to shoot and I couldn't run away because of the the weather. He bit me a couple of times and killed me. It was sort of comedy and sort of horrifying, lol.

dogpowerd

Banned
I'm liking survival mode quite a bit I did use a mod for the launch thruster though. Having to refill it every time you take off was a bridge too far for me.

Haven't even set down on a planet yet. :) Think I want to do a couple upgrades via trading and secure a freighter before I hit dirt again.

Honestly even if NMS becomes a game I play only every now and again when:

1) I feel like chilling and exploring the galaxy
2) There's an update and new stuff to aim for

I'll still be pretty satisfied with what it has to offer.

I wonder how well you can play as a space farer after this update

Before it was harder to play the game and like, never land on a planet. With freighters though and their increased presence...wonder how easier it is to just be a space explorer and never land.

Although I did get trapped in a tiny cave today during a firestorm with a nasty little crab. He was too small and quick to shoot and I couldn't run away because of the the weather. He bit me a couple of times and killed me. It was sort of comedy and sort of horrifying, lol.

thumbnail_10335.jpg

8byte

Banned
Cool, yeah I actually haven't had time to try Survival either so I may end up hating it, but I appreciate that they tried to make them somewhat separate experiences instead of just easy/normal/hard.

I'm not that far in building quests, but maybe try getting the Pearls somewhere else? Sometimes I see them for sale by traders/marketplace. If worse comes to worse you could move your base to another spot or planet and ask the crew again.

I have a ton of them...still nothing :(

So I built a X-junction room onto my base, thinking I could attach three storage containers to it and have the interface part face indoors. But I guess those junctions are only to attach hallways to or something? It won't let me rotate the storage container to face inwards.

c0Zm1c

So I built a X-junction room onto my base, thinking I could attach three storage containers to it and have the interface part face indoors. But I guess those junctions are only to attach hallways to or something? It won't let me rotate the storage container to face inwards.

I tried to do something similar with the containers and it wouldn't let me. I guess you have to design around not being able to rotate them.

I tried to do something similar with the containers and it wouldn't let me. I guess you have to design around not being able to rotate them.

Hm...I tried rotating them because somme said you could face the interfaces inside the base, but I can't seem to find a room I can do that from. I must be missing something.

Top Bottom