• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

ul4kFoP.jpg

M3OGepp.jpg

4kjd6Rj.jpg

QvUNPgF.jpg

NotSelf

Is anyone trying to 100% NMS? It took me 3 hours last night just to get off the first planet in survival can't imagine the madness perma is.

neoism

ok so i played this for a good 100 hours at launch and got max suit, ship, and tool, but havent played in a lnnng time... so after this new update today i have been playing for like a week fucking trying to find a awesome planet to start a base because i really didnt play any once that came out..

well i just started and im seeing the annoy fucking termial quests...

did they fix it for someone like me that played alot in the past?

i have an construction and vechile termial!but not a scientist and weapons...
how do i get the spadonium without the gauntlet??

i reaaalllyy fucking hate updates that takes away me being able to do things i could before

so is it possible or bugged or is the only way to get them is to start over.... i shouldnt be punished for playing this day one?

��

dubq

When I'm changing the colour of some base items I notice an option for "material" and it has a few different coloured crates.. I can't tell what it does though as I see no visible difference. Anyone know?

Mindlog

The update said something about being able to change the textures of materials. Haven't seen any in-game results of that though.

Crashed ships are as expensive as regular ships now right? Seems to me the price of freighters and ships are a little out of wack given the existing economy.

Side-note: That feeling when you gather supplies and prepare to venture into an old system to recover vast quantities of Rigogen... Only to discover your current home planet is covered in Rigogen. Yeah!

i reaaalllyy fucking hate updates that takes away me being able to do things i could before

so is it possible or bugged or is the only way to get them is to start over.... i shouldnt be punished for playing this day one?

It's better if you think of the launch version as Early Access. Yes, they've gated some resources behind new equipment, and removed some exploits, but I think it's ultimately made the game balance better. I mean the fetch quests are not exciting, but at least they're easy to complete.

Crashed ships are as expensive as regular ships now right? Seems to me the price of freighters and ships are a little out of wack given the existing economy.

The freighters are indeed still massively expensive and I feel like you should get more cargo storage for that price, but I imagine they plan to either introduce more farming automation or activities which bring in bigger profits. I was disappointed when I saved a freighter from pirates last night and the captain still wanted 15 mil for the freighter. So much for the theory that helping out with pirates gets you a discount.

Not all ships have crazy prices though. Last night I saw an S-class Explorer type ship that was only 700k more than my modest 22-slot ship. It had one less slot though. I think the prices make more sense if we buy multiple ships and concentrate on class ranking and usage. For instance, if you have multiple ships designed for different roles, you only really need many slots for a Hauler ship, so a Fighter or Shuttle ship would be more reasonably priced because you could manage with an 18-slot fighter or something.

Mindlog

Patch 1.22 is out now!
Same as the experimental, but just to recap.
Exocraft Geobays can now be crafted on any planet - this means vehicles can be summoned anywhere (whereas previously, vehicles could only be summoned on your home planet).
HUD markers have been added to allow you to easily navigate back to an Exocraft Geobay
Fixed a bug that caused vehicle weapons and mining lasers not to drain charge
Fixed an issue which could cause the Starship cockpit to vanish when exiting
Fixed some freighter door texture issues
Fixed a rare crash when scanning from a vehicle
Fixed a rare crash when feeding creatures
Fixed an issue which caused weapons to miss-fire when using Plasma Launcher
During warp the quick menu now hides properly as intended
Fixed an issue that prevented base material editing from working on PS4

E92 M3

Quick questions:

- I now noticed that the mining laser is shit. How do I upgrade it?

- Do vehicle terminals have to be built inside bases?

Quick questions:

- I now noticed that the mining laser is shit. How do I upgrade it?

- Do vehicle terminals have to be built inside bases?

One of the aliens staffing your base gives you a quest, whose reward is a blueprint for the laser upgrade. I think it's one of the early quests you get from them.

Yeah, all of the terminals you can build have to be built inside a base.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
4 gig patch today? Fucking huge for bug fixes! It didn't take longer than 10+ minutes for me, but still, damn. That's big!

I've been loving this update, but I think they need to add some HDR toggles in the Settings menu, instead of me constantly having to enable/disable it whenever I pop in No Man's Sky. For some reason, the HDR in NMS makes things too dark and saturated. When I play Horizon, for example, it looks amazing. I usually have to go into the PS4 menu to shut it off when playing NMS. Hopefully they tweak it more in the future.

mitchman

Gold Member
4 gig patch today? Fucking huge for bug fixes! It didn't take longer than 10+ minutes for me, but still, damn. That's big!

I've been loving this update, but I think they need to add some HDR toggles in the Settings menu, instead of me constantly having to enable/disable it whenever I pop in No Man's Sky. For some reason, the HDR in NMS makes things too dark and saturated. When I play Horizon, for example, it looks amazing. I usually have to go into the PS4 menu to shut it off when playing NMS. Hopefully they tweak it more in the future.

Yeah, same here. HDR is not looking good at all on my LG OLED B6. Horizon looks amazing, so it's not the TV or the settings.

E92 M3

One of the aliens staffing your base gives you a quest, whose reward is a blueprint for the laser upgrade. I think it's one of the early quests you get from them.

Yeah, all of the terminals you can build have to be built inside a base.

Didn't get any quests like that...also did they increase the price of freighters? I lost my save with the freighter and now they're super expensive.

Also, how do I make voltaic cells? Feels like I have no tools lol.

Sarcasm

Didn't get any quests like that...also did they increase the price of freighters? I lost my save with the freighter and now they're super expensive.

Also, how do I make voltaic cells? Feels like I have no tools lol.

Well its kind of a tiered quest system. Can't do much without doing the builder ones. You can make two other staff rooms, but can't do anything until you make voltaic cells. Which you need the science staff thing. Which you can't get until you do some builder stuff. ETCETC

E92 M3

Well its kind of a tiered quest system. Can't do much without doing the builder ones. You can make two other staff rooms, but can't do anything until you make voltaic cells. Which you need the science staff thing. Which you can't get until you do some builder stuff. ETCETC

Any tips to get myself started? I can't even mine exotic stuff now :(

Sean's GDC talk: http://gdcvault.com/play/1024514/Building-Worlds-Using

Innes McKendrick's GDC talk: http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1024265/Continuous-World-Generation-in-No (haven't watched it yet, but his previous talks have been interesting)

My takeaways from Sean's talk..

- He basically admitted they ran out of money, so this seems to be the primary reason NMS went out the door in the unfinished state it was in. Trying to do all the dev with Joe Danger money and bank loans seemed to have been a bad idea considering the negative rep they got, but hindsight is easier. I hoped this admission would at least stop the "Sean is a liar" contingent, but of course it didn't. Foundation, or maybe even Path Finder sure seems like something more along the lines of what they wanted to release on Day 1, had they not run out of money.

- In terms of Sean's progression of terrain gen techniques, it seems like the iteration before the "Uber gen" was what we got at launch. Not much variation, no huge mountains, and you could kind of see the algorithms at work. The Foundation update seems like the "Uber" way, as it really made things look more natural, varied, and complex.

- Sean said they're committed to continuing to improve the terrain, so don't get too attached to your home planet. ;)

This is hype as fuck for me. Glad they're going to keep working on that because I wasn't sure they would because of reasons relating to the bolded.

Yeah, I like that Hello is not afraid to break some things to make the game better. Although I am not liking the amount of bugs and crashes in the latest update. :O They need a bigger QA team, or not release stuff quite as quickly. But yeah, I'm excited to see what kind of terrain improvements they can make.

I just watched Innes's talk, very interesting, loads of detail, most of which went over my head.

One bit that caught my attention was that he said he'd like to move water from the current polygonal representation to a shader. Hopefully that means we can get reflections of surrounding geography and more realistic waves.

Blablurn

starter question:

In No Mans Sky, is it normal that the gun is losing power so quickly? Are u really supposed to digg minerals manually? Because its suuupeeer slow.

starter question:

In No Mans Sky, is it normal that the gun is losing power so quickly? Are u really supposed to digg minerals manually? Because its suuupeeer slow.

There's many upgrades to the multi-tool that increase the power of the mining laser, as well as reducing how quickly it overheats. After a while it's like melting butter with a hot knife and you can make short work of one of those mineral pillars.

You can of course buy resources from traders, but they only offer small amounts for sale at a time.

Blablurn

One more stupid question! When does the game usually save? I just lost around 30 min because it didnt save my progress. Im back at having a destroyed ship.

Minamu

Thanks Minamu! I will keep this in mind :D
No problem :) If you're far from your ship, you can always create a save station, I think it's like 100 iron + 50 platinum. Create one with up on the d-pad, save, and then destroy it and you'll get all resources back :)

dubq

Speaking of destroying base pieces.. do you always get 100% of the resources used to create them back? Or just a fraction? I want to move some stuff around but am not sure I want to take that approach yet or not..

No problem :) If you're far from your ship, you can always create a save station, I think it's like 100 iron + 50 platinum. Create one with up on the d-pad, save, and then destroy it and you'll get all resources back :)
Actually, they put an end to that. You just lose it now.

Oh man, this game is really getting itself together.

As soon as I finish Horizon I'll be spending time with NMS and FFXV (of course Mass Effect comes later this month...).

Actually, they put an end to that. You just lose it now.

Just for save stations or for everything you build? Getting resources back when you scrapped something was basically a necessity since the game had issues with crafting not always working correctly. At least if something went wrong, you could undo it and get your supplies back.

Top Bottom