• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I've been playing the game since Day 1 and I still don't have enough for a freighter, but that's in part because I didn't do any exploits and didn't focus on grinding for money.

Did they make freighters cheaper in the latest update, though? I swear they cost millions when I last played (shortly after Foundation hit), but I checked again last night and got one for about 550,000.

Maybe I'm misremembering, though.

Did they make freighters cheaper in the latest update, though? I swear they cost millions when I last played (shortly after Foundation hit), but I checked again last night and got one for about 550,000.

Wait, what? They're only half a million now? Yeah, they were like 7 million in the Foundation update. Damn, I may have a freighter in my future.

Did you already own a freighter? Cause the amount of credits you get back for your old freighter is automatically subtracted from the amount it costs I believe.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Did you already own a freighter? Cause the amount of credits you get back for your old freighter is automatically subtracted from the amount it costs I believe.

Nope, never owned one.

EDIT: Okay apparently I got lucky and found a cheap one? 'Cause the one I'm looking at now is like 51 million.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Although these updates are nice I feel that they should be making adjustments to the core gameplay loop when exploring.
I fully agree with this statement. I think as far as content goes, the game is currently at a solid level. Now is the time to take a critical look at core gameplay loops. Planetary geography and POI variations is a huge one.

When street date was broken, I remember Sean expressing disappointment at early Streamers who planet-hopped, and how the game was made to encourage planet exploration. Fast forward to today, where spending more than 10-20 minutes per planet might be considered a waste of time by the majority of players.

Their procedural algorithms need some heavy tweaking.

Tigress

Wait, what? They're only half a million now? Yeah, they were like 7 million in the Foundation update. Damn, I may have a freighter in my future.

I haven't played since hte newest patch but every freighter I came across was 15 million. Never saw this mythical 7 million freighter (and hte prices never varied).

Really digging the photo mode, especially the fact that you can place the sun anywhere you want.

C9NQiGp.jpg

BizvajW.jpg

K0YiPgJ.jpg

I fully agree with this statement. I think as far as content goes, the game is currently at a solid level. Now is the time to take a critical look at core gameplay loops. Planetary geography and POI variations is a huge one.

When street date was broken, I remember Sean expressing disappointment at early Streamers who planet-hopped, and how the game was made to encourage planet exploration. Fast forward to today, where spending more than 10-20 minutes per planet might be considered a waste of time by the majority of players.

Their procedural algorithms need some heavy tweaking.

I agree that the gameplay loops need attention, but what you've mentioned is basically more content. POI and geography additions won't change the loop.

- Combat needs to be seriously improved. It's cool that they added more weapon abilities, but it's meaningless when AI creatures are braindead. Creatures should attack using their evolved abilities -- whether that's pouncing, clawing, tail whips, shooting poison spit, whatever. They should be smarter... groups of carnivores should use group tactics to take you down. Stalking animals should be able to effectively stealth from your view and track you. Some creatures should be boss-level; creatures in general should have rankings of difficulty. Ground combat should feel more like a FPS game.
- Add combat against alien NPCs, not just creatures.
- If I become a friend of the Korvax, that should have benefits and consequences. Factions should actually mean something, and participating in battles should have clear benefits for success (i.e. exclusive trading contracts, rank upgrades, etc.).
- A procedural job/mission system for cargo hauling, smuggling, fetch quests, bounty hunter jobs. This is IMO the most beneficial change they could make to the gameplay loop.
- NPCs should actually walk around, get out of their ships, mine things, drive around, attack you.
- Trading system should be more dynamic. Disrupting trade routes between systems should cause item shortages, etc.
- Pirates should be an actual org that you can join and go on raiding missions

Minamu

Factions are still pretty pointless as I was max ranked in all of them as soon as I loaded the game today. Not that I would've been happy with HG removing my progress, but still a bit disappointing that everyone loves me.

I heard Mordite/Lubricant farming is not as lucrative post this update. Say it isn't so!!!

Fingers crossed that it is.... because that might be the least fun gaming loop in the history of the medium. It was like copying data between non-adjacent cells in an Excel document on repeat forever. From what I've seen, it looks like they added some new crops that you can sell for big money anyway. And there's always Pearls.

Minamu

Lubricants now cost 50 mordite and sell for 20k. Big nerf.

My base is at 94% complexity thanks to mordite plants... :(

Lubricants now cost 50 mordite and sell for 20k. Big nerf.

My base is at 94% complexity thanks to mordite plants... :(

So instead of roughly 1,000 per unit they sell for 400 per unit. A single plant generates, what, 40 or so, every 6 minutes? That's 160,000 credits per plant per hour. So a farm of 80 plants will still net you over $12 million per hour, which isn't too bad. But yeah, used to be over $25 million.

Does the trick still work where you can plant the Mordite and then delete the hydroponic station to save on base complexity?

Undocumented changes in Path Finder (collated from Reddit)

* The range for collecting from plants in farms has been increased significantly. Now you can hold the button and collect from plants which are 3-4 rows behind your current container. Works in Freighters and planet bases.
* You can harvest some resources by shooting them from the atmosphere with your ship's photon cannons or phase beam. So far I can confirm the following can be harvested in this way: Plutonium, Iron, Carbon, resources in depots
* Color palette for new AND existing creatures has been updated, along with their textures and in some cases some minor details of the creature. (I've also noticed the procedural audio system for creatures has been updated; creatures near my home base are making different vocalizations and don't sound like anything I've heard in the game before)
* Crashed ships are no longer locked to +1/-1 slots compared to what you currently have. However, keep in mind that they have a number of damaged slots which need credits to repair. Mutitools now also vary in slots.
* You are now able to move while activating a save beacon.
* In the System Log moons are differentiated by a dashed line around the planet symbol.
* Starship weapon upgrades from the Foundation update have been removed (strange)
* Nanite clusters can be obtained not only from tech upgrade containers, but also from destroying spaceships, Sentinels, Freighter cargo containers and in some cases as distress call rewards or talking to aliens
* You can re-color decorations in base building. Previously they were one color only.

One little nice UI thing I noticed is that when you scroll up and down in the ship inventory screen, the ship will slowly shift perspective. Useless but nice little parallax visual effect.

Minamu

So instead of roughly 1,000 per unit they sell for 400 per unit. A single plant generates, what, 40 or so, every 6 minutes? That's 160,000 credits per plant per hour. So a farm of 80 plants will still net you over $12 million per hour, which isn't too bad. But yeah, used to be over $25 million.

Does the trick still work where you can plant the Mordite and then delete the hydroponic station to save on base complexity?
Seems alright, I wonder if something else has become more lucrative. I've not heard of this trick you mention, but I think the patch notes mentioned something similar as fixed. I don't mind the lower ROI but I can't really use my base for anything but farming as it stands. It's not possible to have two bases, right? One on the freighter and one planet side? I thought I read that the storage containers are linked or of a finite number back in the foundation patch? Otherwise I might move the plants there and make a fancy villa in the planet's surface.

Sidenote: I think this patch changed the coloring of my freighter? I have the star destroyer lookalike and it used to be brown/red in tone, but now it looks like bright yellow with red decals, at least in the menu.

Also, it's a bit strange that nanite clusters are both a text currency AND a physical object taking up slots :/ Just make it a string type like credits!

Seems alright, I wonder if something else has become more lucrative. I've not heard of this trick you mention, but I think the patch notes mentioned something similar as fixed. I don't mind the lower ROI but I can't really use my base for anything but farming as it stands. It's not possible to have two bases, right? One on the freighter and one planet side? I thought I read that the storage containers are linked or of a finite number back in the foundation patch? Otherwise I might move the plants there and make a fancy villa in the planet's surface.

Sidenote: I think this patch changed the coloring of my freighter? I have the star destroyer lookalike and it used to be brown/red in tone, but now it looks like bright yellow with red decals, at least in the menu.

Also, it's a bit strange that nanite clusters are both a text currency AND a physical object taking up slots :/ Just make it a string type like credits!

You can have bases on both the freighter and your home planet, and they don't share resources. HOWEVER, you can only have one of each numbered storage box (0 through 9) between the two places. You could split them evenly, you could put them all in one place, whatever. Your freighter does have built-in storage, but it could be annoying to keep running to the captain to access it.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
First time I've spent this much time messing around with a photo mode. And just in time for FW 4.50 and custom wallpaper. 🤔

Mindlog

Definitely a lot of time spent on this quick photo of my new temporary home.
The Glass Greenhouses may save on complexity.
If Mordite isn't as lucrative as it used to be then something more grow and forget would be worth growing. I'll stick to Mordite for now because my freighter farm is running at near peak.

New base.
Everything on the top floor is Skywort for now. I want enough to glass the entire base. Can't waste seaside views :]

The Landing Pad tunnel will go as that was just built for alignment purposes. Will probably scrap everything on the first floor as my base complexity is already near 80%.

They didn't fix the ladders in circular rooms bug. Very annoying especially after jetpacking up that long tunnel to my farms.

vpance

Is it just me or did they nerf the scanner recharge rate again? It must be like double the time since I last played it post Foundation.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I literally came here to bitch about the Scanner recharge nerf.

Also, where the fuck is my Antrium?! There was a cave across my base rife with them, and now they're all gone!

Edit:

I travelled to a farther cave and found enough Antrium. Crisis averted.

New crisis: frame rate in the area around my base, especially while it's raining, is choppy post-update. OG PS4.

Oozer3993

I booted this up tonight to take a quick look at the update. It has HDR support now, I can't wait to see what that lo-

Oh.

I'm sure this is my fault somehow. Does anyone know if I have some settings screwed up on my PS4 Pro or TV (LG OLED55C6P)?

They didn't fix the ladders in circular rooms bug. Very annoying especially after jetpacking up that long tunnel to my farms.

I just don't know why they haven't added elevators. Ladders have been shit in every FPS game since..I think Half-Life was the first one. Every one. They're always shit. Just give us some elevators, or Q3-style jump pads or something.

mitchman

Gold Member
I booted this up tonight to take a quick look at the update. It has HDR support now, I can't wait to see what that lo-

Oh.

I'm sure this is my fault somehow. Does anyone know if I have some settings screwed up on my PS4 Pro or TV (LG OLED55C6P)?

No, from the looks of it, HDR is broken in NMS. Too dark in many areas, and icons are over-saturated in color. This is with a LG OLED B6 65" which looks great in other games such as Horizon: Zero Dawn. It appears that made darker areas even darker, and brighter areas over saturated with color. Particularly noticeable with the icons. It's borderline unplayable now unless you disable HDR, but I can't recall an option for that.

I just bought a 70m, 35 slot freighter for only 5m. Was I given a massive discount for saving them from the pirate attack? My old freighter was only worth like 12 m.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I've only unlocked the first vehicle, but holy crap is driving a counterintuitive chore. And physics of this thing is just off.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I've only unlocked the first vehicle, but holy crap is driving a counterintuitive chore. And physics of this thing is just off.

The best use I've found for vehicles so far is the second one you get (the one that can drive on water) makes it really easy to farm Rigogen.

Otherwise, I guess the third one is nice for free storage.

neoism

Probably the same guy that mapped sprint to R3.
Sprint on r3 is infinitely better in almost every game... I haven't got any vechile a yet... I really should have farmed more I the first few months of release......

I'm just still tryna find a prefect planet to make my base....

Also wats the point of me being able to put a waypoint on a system I when to near the first of the game... Can't get there unless I warp 2k LYs at a time

Why can't I warp to systems I've found ??? 😔

Minamu

Tip of the day!

The vehicles can jump! That makes mountain slopes into ramps, at least with the water buggy. It basically becomes a space ship for a few seconds xD Complete game changer for me at least :)

Mindlog

Hold that thought!
I just don't know why they haven't added elevators. Ladders have been shit in every FPS game since..I think Half-Life was the first one. Every one. They're always shit. Just give us some elevators, or Q3-style jump pads or something.
Agreed.
The entire reason my base became more convoluted was because I was looking for ways to get around the constant ladder problems. Then I had ideas. Then I ran out of memory. Then I found out the game won't let me use my entire greenhouse because some of its planters are somehow out of bounds. So this is pretty much the finished version of my new base Mk. 1. Version 2 is going to be extremely simplified up top. The side greenhouses are still going to be up there, but I am moving them back from the boundary so I can use the whole thing.
Will probably plant Albumen pearls as the main crop besides all the other utility plants. Going to see if I can get a Lighthouse effect. Cash crop is still on my freighter.

After that the last thing left for me to do is a race track. A large part of it will be over water. I did a thing.
XKW8OFh.gif

neoism

I think I finally figured out what's happening when NPC freighters get stuck in 'red alert' mode after a battle. I was helping out some Vy'keen capital ships against an attack (as if the Vy'keen need any help) and after the battle, I was flying around slowly near the huge Vy'keen freighter. I noticed a weird sound, and realized it was the sound of its turrets turning. They were tracking a trading ship that was flying nearby, but not firing.

So my guess is this bug happens when a friendly NPC ship accidentally hits a freighter. But there must be no code path for the freighter AI to actually fire on friendly NPCs, so it gets stuck in red alert mode (tracking the target, but not able to attack) until the next battle.

This has a secondary effect of trapping NPC trading ships that try to land at the freighter, similarly to how trading ships get stuck in the circle of doom at a planetary outpost. (Am I the only one that gets annoyed at all the engines blaring overhead?) Hello really needs to add some logic that will tell the AI to give up and find another trading area if they can't land after some amount of time has passed.
Well this wasn't fixed in the new update couldn't talk to the commander after a battle

Sprint on r3 is infinitely better in almost every game... I haven't got any vechile a yet... I really should have farmed more I the first few months of release......

What? Why? The reason you don't put sprint on R3 is because the left analogue doesn't require as articulate movements. Minute adjustments on the left stick are rarely the difference between hitting your enemy and not, and having to click R3 to sprint obstructs that. That's why R3 is usually mapped to things like crouch, or as a last resort, melee.

It also makes much more sense to align the sprint button, with the movement stick as it relates to that function. Not only that but it's straight up more intuitive. L3 is sprint on 99% of the games on the market. There's no reason to be different for the sake of it.

It's not a big deal though, but it's one of the games baffling features.

After that the last thing left for me to do is a race track. A large part of it will be over water. I did a thing.
XKW8OFh.gif

Cool looking base, and nice gif!

Well this wasn't fixed in the new update couldn't talk to the commander after a battle

Well I did file a bug report for it back then. None of the bugs I've reported have been fixed. :( Though a couple feature requests were put in. I'm really surprised they haven't fixed the red alert bug though, it seems pretty common.

Considering they said they're hiring at GDC, I bet that they are still understaffed and focusing more of their efforts on new features rather than bugs right now.

Top Bottom