• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

Well, going by what he's now said, I'm surprised they didn't go under instantly. That they've released a major update and are still working on it is a miracle. With one person working on half a million crash reports, it's hardly surprising that they haven't said much. If it was me, I would never speak again.

With what he's now said? Did I miss a new interview?

Hmm, encountered the last Atlas Interface with just eight stones and now I can't finish the Atlas path anymore... Quite annoyed about that. I didn't sell any of the stones, so wondering where I should have missed two of them.

At the end of the Atlas path I am appr. 170k light years away from the center - how long does it take to get there? With black holes a few jumps?

The Atlas interfaces will continue to show up if you stay on the paths; whether they'll give you more stones, I don't know.

The black holes jump you, but not necessarily in the direction of the center. I've only used a black hole once, but it moved me perpendicular to the center. The direction might be random?

http://www.pcgamer.com/sean-murray-...ent-to-a-rocketship-being-fired-into-the-sun/

“Then we showed it, we showed the first trailer, and from then on it was like we were building a rocketship on the way up to the sun, being fired into the sun with the skin burning from our faces, right? It was like, it was a bit of a rollercoaster ride from then on. But at the start it was genuinely just a hobby and something super enjoyable.”

Note - I cut out some of the times he said "like". Luckily, you can't fly into the sun :D

"I think loads has been written about the game," Murray told me, "so I think in terms of us chatting, when I think there's something new to add, when the time is right, I think we'll do a bunch of press then and we'll make sure to be in touch."

https://arstechnica.co.uk/gaming/20...abs-will-incubate-more-procedural-tech-games/

For starters: Murray and his team made an astonishingly low-ball prediction about how many players would boot the game on its first day. As in, less than 14,000. The team considered that number a high-end estimate of concurrent players, because staffers saw that number attached to recent Steam-use data for the game Far Cry: Primal, which launched shortly before No Man's Sky. "It's a huge game, obviously," Murray said. "That [number] made us a little bit nervous about servers, and the sheer number of people booting the game up day one." (The team was tempted to estimate even lower, at around the 3,000-player count of indie game Inside, but staffers at Sony warned Murray to estimate something befitting "a triple-A product.")

Turns out, the game wound up with 500,000 concurrent players on day one, and 250,000 of those were playing on a wide range of PCs. The total number overwhelmed the staff's "networking team," which Murray said consisted of solely one staffer ("and that was only one of his jobs... and we had half a billion discoveries uploaded [by players]"). Also, of those quarter-million PC players, roughly one percent had crash dump data reporting back to Hello Games. "It was on par with games I'd launched before, like Burnout, but we were just operating at a different scale," Murray said. "It was far beyond what I'd experienced before, in terms of people playing a game."

My mistake on the half a million crash reports.

Interesting, thanks for the links. Considering what a dumpster fire their networking was for the first few weeks, I'm not surprised (though how could they estimate that low??), but I am surprised Sony didn't give them more concrete estimates. Also, one guy doing networking is so sadly typical for the game industry. Did they learn nothing from DriveClub?

While describing the company's history, Murray admitted that Hello Games was "running out of money" while making No Man's Sky, all while juggling the challenge of "trying to finish something you care about really creatively."

This is something I suspected. It certainly adds weight to the theory that the NMS we got on Day 1 was something they pushed out the door quickly because they had no money left. I bet Foundation was more like what they wanted to release as the Day 1.

Hello would've been better off doing a Kickstarter after the office flood, like his colleagues tried to persuade him to.

I'm not sure how I feel about the Hello Labs deal. Is this going to split the focus of Sean and Hello? Or is this just a VC funding type of situation? Are they really still committed to many further updates of NMS? I really don't know anymore because Sean doesn't want to talk to anyone.

This week Hello Games will be releasing the next content update for No Man's Sky. We're calling it the Path Finder Update; it introduces a new vehicle that will aid home planet exploration, building on the Foundation Update to hint at a path ahead for the future.

I sure hope they don't mean by the new buggy "hinting at a path ahead" that they plan to focus their energy on people who want to stay at their base. Maybe it's just a poorly-constructed sentence and they mean the Path Finder Update itself will hint at the future? Anyway, it's great to hear there's another update coming! I hope it's as big as the last one.

NotSelf

Cool but I wonder how the vehicle will work for a water planet my home base is mostly water hopefully the buggy will just transform into submarine instead of having multiple vehicles.

Will this also include the updated galactic map talked about before release? To be able to highlight your star systems easily is a must.

c0Zm1c

Cool but I wonder how the vehicle will work for a water planet my home base is mostly water hopefully the buggy will just transform into submarine instead of having multiple vehicles.

Perhaps we'll be able to craft a suitable vehicle for the planet we choose as home.

dubq

I'm gonna wager that the buggy is just like the ship, covered, but travels on land.. and once you go into water, it just rolls on the ground underneath.

The notes from this last patch update sound nice! Here are the standout improvements to me:

-You can now own and store multiple ships in the same freighter.
-Separate ship classes/roles now exist: fighter, trader, explorer (but it is unknown if the ships will start out unspecialized and you can then modify them later or if you have to seek out the type of ship you want).
-Three types of vehicles - one for exploring, one for mining (complete with a mining laser), and it looks like one built for speed (the hover one)?
-PS4 Pro support
-They said in the video that in survival mode that damaged ships will crashland onto planets (!?!?!)
-Permadeath mode

All sorts of other improvements in this patch to graphics, tweaks to the different difficulty modes, etc.

Link for those who haven't seen it yet: http://www.no-mans-sky.com/pathfinder-update/

-Separate ship classes/roles now exist: fighter, trader, explorer (but it is unknown if the ships will start out unspecialized and you can then modify them later or if you have to seek out the type of ship you want).

Based on the fact that the ships look visibly more like what they should be, and the fact that ships are split into ranks now, I'm going to guess that the ship roles and quality level are all pre-defined. Having a sleek fighter with 40 cargo slots always bugged me from a role-playing POV, so I'm glad to see they've finally implemented this. One more thing off the list of "missing features".

No idea how our current vehicles will be treated though?

-Three types of vehicles - one for exploring, one for mining (complete with a mining laser), and it looks like one built for speed (the hover one)?

The hover one is the only one that can cross water, so it seems more like a scouting vehicle. Or your only vehicle, if you put your base on a water planet. ;)

Some of the smaller updates I'm happy about:

Finally! Hopefully this means trading should be more efficient:
NPC interaction text now appears faster, and can now be skipped.

hmmm...does this mean what I hope it means?
Atmospheric low-flight has been adjusted and improved

Finally I can name my ships after obscure guitars
Ships, weapons, vehicles, freighters and bases can now all be renamed.

Oh, the lack of visible rain from indoors bugged me. Glad to see this fixed!
More detailed rain system, including room dependent and indoor window rain

It'll be nice to get a bit more variation in the music
Our favorite band 65daysofstatic has been back in the studio recording 8 new soundscapes for in-game, as well as lots of new loading music.

Mindlog

OK more base options and base sharing of some sort. That's cool. I had already torn apart large sections of my current base. Might be time to start a new one on my Rigogen planet.

Did not notice that we can now own multiple ships and that each ship now has a specialty :eek:
Apparently my current ship is an explorer.
And a rifle multi-tool.

Lots more changes than I had first anticipated.

Previously visited planets can be marked with Waypoints, simplifying return navigation

Mindlog

Is the update out now?

Also, it sounds amazing. Can't wait to try out the vehicles and the photo mode.
Now live on both platforms.
Bases can be shared between PC and PS4.

This is a much bigger update than I had anticipated. Nice!

Did not notice that we can now own multiple ships and that each ship now has a specialty :eek:
Apparently my current ship is an explorer.

You may not remember, but does your ship's handling feel different than before? Wondering if ship specializations have also changed their handling/speed.

Shaneus

Big frame rate increase on the pro at 1080p here guys.
Oh, that's awesome! I hope the vanilla PS4 gets a performance boost too. Is just framerate improved or is there better/less noticeable pop-in as well?

Edit: Just read through the update notes. Jesus christ, they've been hard at work! Dare I put down Yakuza 0 to give this another bash?

WeTeHa

Looks like a good update. Might check it out on the weekend.

It's a shame the base building limit on ps4 is so low though. Can't build a proper base, let alone decorate it with stuff. The new options look cool, but i need more space!

The lack of communication between updates is still a bummer though. Why not talk more? Show of a screenshot every other week what they're working on to keep people interested and so on... I don't get it.

Tigress

Damnit, is the patch out already?! I'm too busy playing Horizon to check it out but I just saw the trailer and it sounds great! I like that they are still working on rebalancing survival mode (it was a good start but yes it needs some work still... it still gets too easy after a while). And multiple ships (I missed that, a comment on the subreddit brought that to my attention)! And renaming them! And I like the other stuff too but I think that's what I'm most excited for. Oh, yeah, and ships now being able to be customized more for different purposes (like the original promise).

Crackachu sticker in the official NMS patch video. Hello Games is on Gaf?

WYh3rqih.jpg

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
It's been a while since I played this, but the weapon stats UI —even for preexisting upgrades— are vastly improved.

These Nanite clusters though? I smell microtransactions.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
nice update i guess... i dont know what im looking for them to improve in this game. i think i need more of a reason to explore planets and find cool shit.

A few notes after a bit of playing...

1) They didn't fix the teleporter bug where it shows the original system name instead of the name you gave it. Why!!! I have no idea what systems these are in my teleporter list. This has gotta be a simple fix, I even filed a bug report. Bah.

2) I'm not completely sold on the new look, but Vintage doesn't seem exactly like the old look, either. Maybe it's due to the other graphics updates they made. Also, what's the point of having a filter on/off toggle if the Default Filter is the same as Off? Or is it slightly different?

3) You can definitely fly lower now, but I haven't found a planet with donut holes yet to test if you can fly through them now.

4) The pearl quest for my farmer is still broken

5) They seem to have made changes to the procedural creature sounds. The creatures around my home base are definitely making different sounds than they used to, and different than I've heard a NMS creature make before.

6) They seem to have also changed some of the procgen items on planets. There are some buildings near my home base that weren't there before. Also, there are mineral rocks that I can only mine with a vehicle laser. Deterium I think?

Holy moly, what have they done to the PC version? I was at a stable 60fps at 1080p before, but now I fluctuate between 30-50 even with all the graphics settings turned down and disabled.

Afterburner is freaking out and reporting memory usage at over 4 million MBs while the game is running... I think they made a whoopsie...

A few notes after a bit of playing...

1) They didn't fix the teleporter bug where it shows the original system name instead of the name you gave it. Why!!! I have no idea what systems these are in my teleporter list. This has gotta be a simple fix, I even filed a bug report. Bah.

2) I'm not completely sold on the new look, but Vintage doesn't seem exactly like the old look, either. Maybe it's due to the other graphics updates they made. Also, what's the point of having a filter on/off toggle if the Default Filter is the same as Off? Or is it slightly different?

3) You can definitely fly lower now, but I haven't found a planet with donut holes yet to test if you can fly through them now.

4) The pearl quest for my farmer is still broken

5) They seem to have made changes to the procedural creature sounds. The creatures around my home base are definitely making different sounds than they used to, and different than I've heard a NMS creature make before.

6) They seem to have also changed some of the procgen items on planets. There are some buildings near my home base that weren't there before. Also, there are mineral rocks that I can only mine with a vehicle laser. Deterium I think?

I've noticed these things as well, and some of them are just painful to see still being there. I'm not really feeling the changes to the visuals, I'm getting some very overblown colors, the HBAO looks pretty ass and on top of that I'm getting some weird issue with the textures where a lot of them (but not all of them it seems) are very low res, regardless of the settings (even completely deleted the caches folders (shaders and textures in the appdata folder) and the problem still persists (AMD 380X 4GB graphics). Performance seems to be a bit worse as well, but there are some new visual changes (light shafts, HBAO etc.) so I'll tweak that with the hopes of a better framerate.

The galactic map also doesn't seem to have any QOL improvements aside from a shortcut to find your home base planet, and alongside unchanged teleporters, it's a shame to see exploration and orientation in space still being the same.
EDIT: One thing I hadn't noticed though is that you can now select a planet from your journey log and add a waypoint to it which will appear in the galactic map. It's still kinda cumbersome but it's definitely an improvement so those systems aren't lost forever.

There's also an annoying bug where I've apparently left a message terminal outside the base, but it's not hovering inside a wall and wherever I go around the base I see the message pop up over and over again. :p

One thing they did change thankfully is that dialog menus/prompts are faster now, as in the slow animation can be skipped/fast forwarded when you click anywhere on screen. There's still the animation there, but at least the whole process is shortened a bit, so it feels a bit less frustrating.

Also renaming your stuff is a very welcome addition and something that should've been there from the start.

Haven't had the time to try and figure out any of the new systems, so I hope I'll get some time to build a vehicle, hope it's fun to drive. :)

Hey guys, I figure this is as good a place as any to ask a few newcomer questions; as a bit of introduction, I picked the game up and played it for a few hours and got bored and stopped back during 1.0, and decided to come back after foundation and pathfinder had both already dropped, and after a bout of frustration I ended up restarting my normal save file.

So...I have maybe an hour logged into the game with my current save, and I have questions about the game post-foundation, such as: where. the FUCK. is all the plutonium? Like, I get that they reconfigured things a bit, but plutonium is incredibly scarce for me now. Part of the reason I stopped my earlier save is because I was running out because I had to recharge my takeoff/landing thrusters constantly, and part of it is because I felt like maybe my quest progress was bugged, because I still hadn't gotten an AtlasPass v1. I now realize it was because I hadn't properly crafted a warp cell yet for the quest to progress (yes, that's how early on I was) but even in this new game with this other set of planets, plutonium seems to be extremely scarce compared to how it used to be. Is the only viable way to get the stuff to get lucky with caves? Most of the caves I go into are just full of Iron.

Also, is there any way to upgrade my inventory other than buying new ships? I never upgraded anything in my old save but my multitool, and I was (and am) constantly running out of space, and remembering why I stopped playing before.

I'm getting some weird issue with the textures where a lot of them (but not all of them it seems) are very low res, regardless of the settings (even completely deleted the caches folders (shaders and textures in the appdata folder) and the problem still persists (AMD 380X 4GB graphics). Performance seems to be a bit worse as well, but there are some new visual changes (light shafts, HBAO etc.) so I'll tweak that with the hopes of a better framerate.

I have no idea what's going on with textures in the PC version. If I play with them on High or Ultra then Afterburner reports the game trying to access over 4 million MBs of RAM and my game is a stuttering mess. Lowering them to medium fixes that, but then I'm stuck with blurry textures. I've also noticed that shallow water isn't see-through anymore so the edges of oceans and lakes all look like ice. Something must have gone wrong somewhere, because there's no way all of this is intentional, especially the performance downgrade when the console version saw an improvement.

So...I have maybe an hour logged into the game with my current save, and I have questions about the game post-foundation, such as: where. the FUCK. is all the plutonium? Like, I get that they reconfigured things a bit, but plutonium is incredibly scarce for me now. Part of the reason I stopped my earlier save is because I was running out because I had to recharge my takeoff/landing thrusters constantly, and part of it is because I felt like maybe my quest progress was bugged, because I still hadn't gotten an AtlasPass v1. I now realize it was because I hadn't properly crafted a warp cell yet for the quest to progress (yes, that's how early on I was) but even in this new game with this other set of planets, plutonium seems to be extremely scarce compared to how it used to be. Is the only viable way to get the stuff to get lucky with caves? Most of the caves I go into are just full of Iron.

Also, is there any way to upgrade my inventory other than buying new ships? I never upgraded anything in my old save but my multitool, and I was (and am) constantly running out of space, and remembering why I stopped playing before.

Are you doing scans (the cooldown pulse that highlights nearby resources) when you're on foot? That will highlight plutonium crystals as red "Pu" symbols, with loads above ground (though on some planets it's rarer than on others). You should also be able to find multiple small red boxes of it around every modern building you come across, as a reliable supply.

Regarding storage, you can find Exosuit upgrade stations while exploring planets (one of the many green ? sites) which are small floating pods with a holographic suit image inside. Each one you find will offer to add an extra storage slot to your suit for 10k, increasing by 10k for each subsequent upgrade. Ships can either be bought at stations and trade hubs, or you can repair crashed ships you find on planets, which not only tend to have more storage slots than your suit but each slot can hold at least twice as many items (250 iron per slot in your suit, 500 iron per slot in your ship for example). You can also build storage containers at your base fairly early on in the base-building string of quests, but by far the best storage option is to purchase a freighter, the colossal ships you see in space sometimes. More storage slots than your ship, and double quantity per slot again compared to your ship (so 1000 iron per slot). They are damn expensive in the early game though. Sometimes you'll warp into a new star system and see a freighter being attacked by pirates - help defend the freighter and you'll be allowed to dock with it and meet the captain, who will offer you a material reward or the option to buy his freighter.

Are you doing scans (the cooldown pulse that highlights nearby resources) when you're on foot? That will highlight plutonium crystals as red "Pu" symbols, with loads above ground (though on some planets it's rarer than on others). You should also be able to find multiple small red boxes of it around every modern building you come across, as a reliable supply.

Regarding storage, you can find Exosuit upgrade stations while exploring planets (one of the many green ? sites) which are small floating pods with a holographic suit image inside. Each one you find will offer to add an extra storage slot to your suit for 10k, increasing by 10k for each subsequent upgrade. Ships can either be bought at stations and trade hubs, or you can repair crashed ships you find on planets, which not only tend to have more storage slots than your suit but each slot can hold at least twice as many items (250 iron per slot in your suit, 500 iron per slot in your ship for example). You can also build storage containers at your base fairly early on in the base-building string of quests, but by far the best storage option is to purchase a freighter, the colossal ships you see in space sometimes. More storage slots than your ship, and double quantity per slot again compared to your ship (so 1000 iron per slot). They are damn expensive in the early game though. Sometimes you'll warp into a new star system and see a freighter being attacked by pirates - help defend the freighter and you'll be allowed to dock with it and meet the captain, who will offer you a material reward or the option to buy his freighter.

Thanks for the tips. Yeah, I've been scanning, but running into loads of just about everything *but* plutonium. I think I just need to check different planets. Thanks for all the tips, I'm hoping this attempt isn't as aborted as the last, because I really didn't have any idea what I was doing last time I started and I think as a result I probably shot myself in the foot. I just found out with some googling that apparently taking off from an outpost doesn't wear out your engine thrusters, so that's pretty neat.

I'll keep these things in mind as far as keeping an eye out for crashed ships, though. I think that's going to be my best bet. I remember seeing ships for sale and them being way too rich for my blood.

Kalentan

Hey guys so what is the best way to make money? I feel like everything is so expensive but then I have no way to actually make any money cause I feel like I'm running out of space constantly as well...

Really want to buy a Freighter.

Minamu

Is it just me or did they nerf the lunricant prices? You get just over 20k a piece now. Wasn't it around 30k before? I must be tricking myself, did you need 50 mordites and not 40 before?

It's been quite some time since I last played and I can't seem to remember how to board a freighter after rescuing them from an attack.

The only prompt I got was to board the lead freighter.

Is it just me or did they nerf the lunricant prices? You get just over 20k a piece now. Wasn't it around 30k before? I must be tricking myself, did you need 50 mordites and not 40 before?

It was 40 Mordite to make a Lubricant, which sold for 40,000. Haven't tried the update yet, but it makes sense they would lower the price on that, as farming it was by far the fastest way to make money. Seemed exploitative.

Hey guys so what is the best way to make money? I feel like everything is so expensive but then I have no way to actually make any money cause I feel like I'm running out of space constantly as well...

Get a base and start a farm. Sounds like they halved the ROI on Lubricant, but it's still a wildly fast (and dreadfully dull) way to make money. Plant as many Mordite plants as you possibly can, harvest them, craft lubricant and sell it. With a sales terminal in your base (to cut down on travel time between stations) you can earn $10 million or more per hour. It's a boring crafting loop, but it gets you rich.

If you want to spend more time exploring, you can also invest in cash crops like Albumen Pearls, which grow a lot slower than Mordite, but which require no crafting in between harvest and sale. Set your plants, go run around for half an hour, come back and harvest/sell everything, go off and explore for another half hour.

What's the verdict on the PC patch? Sounds like a lot of people are having serious issues with it. Anyone running the GOG version?

Although these updates are nice I feel that they should be making adjustments to the core gameplay loop when exploring. The issue I have is that despite all of these additions, the player is still only able to find 8 or so different types of outpost, and this hasn't changed with the updates.

For new or returning players this means that the game lacks any significant meaningful changes. Returning to the game with a fresh save, I feel like I'm playing the same thing I became bored of before, with only the end-game prospect of owning bases, frieghters and vehicles pushing me forward.

I think adding additional structures like dungeons (or rather, dangerous places to explore), a larger variety of alien structures, and similar, would help make the exploration experience feel more varied and enjoyable.

Also it would be nice to be able to access a local map of each planet, so that I can explore on foot and get a good baring of the land, especially on planets I like. Most of these expansions have moved the game away from the pursuit of constantly moving forward through space, and provide lots of tools for the player to enjoy a single planet (base building) so it would make sense to allow for people to generate some sort of map for their region.

Multiple bases and making the base building system more accessible from the outset would also be an obvious way forward. It's not as though we're short on space here.

Gross. I got so fed up with the vehicle quest bug I had that I restarted the game, and now I'm back to a solid 60fps with a pretty lush starting planet. This doesn't sound like a nice solution for everyone struggling with poor fps...

I think adding additional structures like dungeons (or rather, dangerous places to explore), a larger variety of alien structures, and similar, would help make the exploration experience feel more varied and enjoyable.

Also it would be nice to be able to access a local map of each planet, so that I can explore on foot and get a good baring of the land, especially on planets I like. Most of these expansions have moved the game away from the pursuit of constantly moving forward through space, and provide lots of tools for the player to enjoy a single planet (base building) so it would make sense to allow for people to generate some sort of map for their region.

Multiple bases and making the base building system more accessible from the outset would also be an obvious way forward. It's not as though we're short on space here.

Yeah I agree with all of that, especially dungeons. They have a good structure in place for that with caves. I wish barren planets were far less likely to have ruins and modern buildings, but highly likely to have rare resources deep underground. They could even add a tunnelling vehicle! Lush planets could be the place to find ruins, some of them sprawling and towering like Gormenghast, with loads of Nanite Clusters and new tech blueprints within.

I like that they're providing the tools to focus on individual planet exploration, but they definitely all feel the same and way too repetitive with regards to their content.

I've been playing the game since Day 1 and I still don't have enough for a freighter, but that's in part because I didn't do any exploits and didn't focus on grinding for money.

As someone else said, the farming stuff at your base is tedious but can make a lot of money. Since my farming questline is broken, I've been mining on planets for elements that fetch a good price. Elements like Rubium are good for that. If you find a good planet to mine on, you can save it in your base teleporter list and then just make quick jumps to that system, mine a bunch of stuff, sell it, and repeat.

If you're running out of space, definitely work on upgrading your suit slots first, and look out for new ships to bump your slots. For mining, upgrading your suit is most important though.

Top Bottom