• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky "Path Finder" Content Update announced

TimFL

UPDATE 5: Update is out on PC/Steam.
UPDATE 4: Update seems to be out on PS4. Have to manually check for it.

UPDATE 3: The website is live again with the patch notes: http://www.no-mans-sky.com/pathfinder-update/

UPDATE 2: The trailer for the update is out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDNtbosTCvo

UPDATE: Their website is down for maintenance http://www.no-mans-sky.com/

From their steam community hub.
Hello,

This week Hello Games will be releasing the next content update for No Man's Sky. We're calling it the Path Finder Update; it introduces a new vehicle that will aid home planet exploration, building on the Foundation Update to hint at a path ahead for the future.

Detailed patch notes will be released when the update goes live.

Shortly after we launched the Foundation Update, we released a number of patches to address issues reported by players before beginning work on the Path Finder update. We were surprised and excited by the response to Foundation, and we have been listening carefully to community feedback since then.

To those of you who have spent time sharing feedback, whether positive or negative, we are listening.

This is the next step in our journey. It shows the path forward. We hope you'll join us.

Thank you,
Hello Games

I guess land vehicles confirmed?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Do people still care about the game?
Absolutely. I havent played in quite a while, but I am VERY looking forward to them expanding it. The peaceful exploration is still a super unique aspect.

I made a prototype game named Pathfinders recently, guess I'm not the only game developer looking forward to Mass Effect Andromeda.

On topic, glad to see they are still supporting the game with more free content.

Dunkley

Interesting, I wonder if this means improved structure generation as well to encourage staying on one planet for longer since right now I wouldn't see a huge point otherwise if you can just zip around the planet with your ship.

jennetics

Regardless of whether Hello Games decided to update NMS or not, they would've gotten flak for it. I'm glad that they're updating it, even if the content doesn't really interest me.

Sethista

they need to do 2 things to earn players back, constant support, which they seem to be doing, and communication, which they are not.

I dont get why they dont communicate more, other than saying they are listening.

Skyzard

Banned
Just a damn vehicle?

Putting that money to good use (elsewhere) I'm sure.

And a path to what? The amazing center of the galaxy?

Step it up.

mrlion

Once I played it for a bit, I came to the conclusion that it would likely be the kind of game I pick up whenever there's some big patch just to check it out. I do the same thing with Minecraft these days.

I guess when people spent 60 dollars on the game that's the very least they can do...

Hopefully a tad more than just a land vehicle, which in my eyes should have been at launch, or close to it with planet exploration.

The game is what it is, I wanna go back but hoping for a couple more large updates to it.

Can't wait, sunk like 50 hours into the base game, loved the Foundation update and hopefully there's more good stuff in this one. I'm glad they've kept their heads up and continued to work on this unique game.

SomTervo

Just a damn vehicle?

Putting that money to good use (elsewhere) I'm sure.

And a path to what? The amazing center of the galaxy?

Step it up.

Holy jumping to conclusions, Batman

I look forward to the full patch notes. Might download this thing and boot the game back up over the weekend.

Skyzard

Banned
Holy jumping to conclusions, Batman

I look forward to the full patch notes. Might download this thing and boot the game back up over the weekend.

Just reads like marketing bs for the next sale to me.

Call me skeptical but it's been 7 months and they've got a shit lot of work to go if they want to deliver on the game's promise, which I don't believe they intend to.

Any mention of the multiplayer "issues" either? Nope.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...

Call me skeptical but it's been 7 months.

You did realize that the last update was pretty substantial right? I feel like amidst all the toxicity they at least earned a bit of that trust back.

SomTervo

Call me skeptical but it's been 7 months.

You're ignoring the Foundations update? Which came out 3-4 months in and added a ton of content to the game. A robust on-planet construction system, freighter purchasing and exploration, two difficulty modes, etc.

It's been roughly the same timeframe since Vanilla > Foundation for Foundation > Path Finder so I'm guessing Path Finder will have a lore more than just 'a buggy'.

I'm not the biggest fan of the game, I'm just telling you the facts.

In hindsight, these updates should've been included with the game day one.

I'll get around to checking out this update, but it'll be a while before I do. Too many other games have my attention now to be drawn away by a more convenient method of traversing planets. I'm sure there will be other interesting things included with the update, but even with the foundation update, I grew bored with the game after a few hours.

Once I found out what the prize was for reaching the center, my goal became to find a paradise planet to call my own and build a base on it. I've done that. I've also explored it on foot, so while a vehicle to traverse it will be nice, it ultimately won't really give me any more of a reason to play. The last time I played it, I felt no real desire to trek out and explore other planets any longer.

Skeletron

I spent hours exploring and having fun with the game when it was first released. Traveling by foot was always pretty clunky, even with the punch-jetpack maneuver. Dune buggy would be great. I'll definitely hop back in to play again. I'm glad to see these updates. I don't understand why this game gets shit on in every thread. Does no one remember how similarly sparse year 1 Destiny was in content and the extent to which it grew with each update?

Teeth

Despite scathing reviews, NMS still sells really well during Steam sales. There's obviously a lot of people still curious about it.

mrlion

You did realize that the last update was pretty substantial right? I feel like amidst all the toxicity they at least earned a bit of that trust back.

Eh I don't believe that. It made some changes and the addition of building a base (which they didn't want to do to begin with) but I wouldn't say its substantial, the same issues present on release are still there.

Stiler

I wish they'd tinker with the planets, let them have different biomes and more variety so actually exploring them is fun since one area doesn't look like the entire rest of the planet with no sense of discovery.

Oooh excellent! Looking forward to it. I haven't had the time to really dig into the game since the last update so maybe I'll check it out if I have time.

Fisty

These updates sound pretty good, I'm looking forward to coming back to a much more feature-packed game one of these days. Had a great time at launch, and I'm glad the devs are sticking around to fulfill the massive potential in NMS

Xadjim

Banned
once upon a time, I was super hyped for this game.... luckily it changed as things started smelling fishy the closer they came to release... thank god I never bought it.

I think I will only touch it, if they add mmorpg level multiplayer where you can travel with friends on planets, meet new people and battle dangerous foes together

Top Bottom