• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky "Path Finder" Content Update announced

Xander51

I just started playing this again, so this is surprising and good news! Looking forward to trying the new vehicle.

Harlock

They need put some form of permanent mark where you can teleport back from your base. The teleport keep the last 5 locations, but I think you can miss the most far planet you reach if start to jump to another systems.

What I wish is a way to always keep going to the center of galaxy while having the freedom to stop and go to systems close to my base.

And talking about the center of galaxy, put something cool or different there.

legacyzero

Banned
If it's just buggies, I'll be pissed. But Foundation only highlighted base building but had a lot of awesome features a tweaks too. I really need to see that list

Do people still care about the game?
Hmmm.. let me check my Tiny YouTube Channel views-

hIGiFj5.jpg

Yep
When I do a NMS video, it usually averages about 5000 views. The thirst is very real for this game, better or worse

mrlion

If it's just buggies, I'll be pissed. But Foundation only highlighted base building but had a lot of awesome features a tweaks too. I really need to see that list

hIGiFj5.jpg

Yep

You certainly do make more money on YouTube than I do...

UCBooties

I haven't played any of the previous update. I'm kind of holding off to see where things go. I hope a future update builds out the crafting and tech tree to be more like what they were targeting before release. Of course I'd really like to see them commit to adding things to make exploration itself more worth it, like unique architecture, or downed capital ships, faction interplay, all of the things that they demoed but didn't deliver. I may jump in when this update goes live to see how close they are getting to their original vision/pitch.

eliochip

hIGiFj5.jpg

Yep
When I do a NMS video, it usually averages about 5000 views. The thirst is very real for this game, better or worse

Look at mr. moneybags over here

border

It's funny how they sold this game as "There's a whole infinite universe to explore!"

And now they have done a total 180. "Actually, you should just build a base on a single planet and explore that one."

paulogy

It's funny how they sold this game as "There's a whole infinite universe to explore!"

And now they have done a total 180. "Actually, you should just build a base on a single planet and explore that one."

Depth and breadth. Some people want to vacillate between both :). Actually with the Foundation update you are forced to go to adjacent systems to get materials you can't find readily in your own.

It makes sense that they had focused on breadth at launch as that was the more awe-inspiring aspect of the game. It's a shame it didn't have both at launch, but it's getting there.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
This is a great addition. The game desperately needed vehicle for exploration. However, I hop e the release more quality additions/changes. It's been a while since Foundation.

Having said that, they better not nerf Mordite farming. If anything I hope it's easier.

It only seemed substantial because of how barebones the game shipped. Who knows how much of that they were working on but couldn't finish before release too.

"A new vehicle" is not what I want to read in an announcement for the next update.

I guess I'll wait to see the actual list but I don't have patience for teases from them.

Well it's coming out this week, so you won't have to be teased for long.

It's strange how you say this is "marketing bs", but then also infer that many features they're releasing now were started before release. Why would that be BS then?

Sean said during his recent GDC talk that Hello was running out of money during development, which I assume to mean they shoved NMS out the door because they were broke. So my guess is Foundation was what they wanted to release for day 1 (minus the multiplayer features, though they did add messages). Path Finder will likely be the first batch of features that are really a "path forward".

I do hope there's much more than just a focus on land exploration in this update, but lets give them some benefit of the doubt. It will likely be as big as Foundation, given the similar dev times.

border

Depth and breadth. Some people want to vacillate between both :). Actually with the Foundation update you are forced to go to adjacent galaxies to get materials you can't find readily in your own.

It makes sense that they had focused on breadth at launch as that was the more awe-inspiring aspect of the game. It's a shame it didn't have both at launch, but it's getting there.

What depth do people get from narrowing their focus to a single planet and its outlying systems? It seems to me like the game's macro-level problems are unfixable, so they have decided to build a survival micro-game within. But I'm not sure what's really going to be interesting or compelling on a single planet, given the relatively limited scope of what their procedural generation produces.

UCBooties

I honestly don't think it'll get PSVR support. Game is 30 locked on PS4 junior. Would love to see a PS4Bro patch tho

There were hints for it on Twitter

I've long given up on NMS VR, unfortunately. FOV seems to be limited by hardware, I honestly don't know if it could run VR at over single digit FPS.

Blam

People will definitely be modding the fuck out of this wen it comes in. Would love to see what could be generated in terms of vehicles.

Hell yes. This will be a welcome addition. I'm still trying to locate a home planet that is good enough to build my first base. Hopefully I'll come across one before this drops.

Been a fan of this game since before launch, and I still enjoy the hell out of it after 35+ hours. I'm nowhere near being remotely close to beating any part of it too. Very happy to hear about the continued support.

ChouGoku

I think the only thing that would pull me back in would be if VR support was added.

Basically, unless they add a lot of shit, I'm holding out for VR. I enjoyed my time with the game but I need that space VR. That is something I think they would announce at something big like at E3.

Xadjim

Banned
I don't understand comments like this. Why are you even posting in this thread?

At least I had something to say about the topic... You on the other hand only ranted about how you dont understand why I have valid complains about this game. If you really just dont understood what I meant: They need to make the game, they initially announced in order to get me back on their side. Well, at least they do something but the game is not there yet, where it should have been at release

What depth do people get from narrowing their focus to a single planet and its outlying systems? It seems to me like the game's macro-level problems are unfixable, so they have decided to build a survival micro-game within. But I'm not sure what's really going to be interesting or compelling on a single planet, given the relatively limited scope of what their procedural generation produces.

The macro-level problems are definitely not "unfixable". The game needs a dynamic job system to give players short-term goals; tasks like cargo hauling (illegal and otherwise), bounty hunting, item recovery, etc. Also restoring factions to what they were supposed to be -- ongoing conflicts that you take sides -- would provide political motivations. Now that we have freighters, they could add NPC ships for hire, to help protect you or automate farming tasks. All these things are doable, with time, should they choose to.

I definitely agree though that if they're going to double-down on planetary bases and local exploration, they need to really overhaul the creatures, both in diversity, AI, and animations. Sean said during GDC that they've been continuing to work on the proc gen algorithms, so maybe that'll be part of that.

TimFL

Basically, unless they add a lot of shit, I'm holding out for VR. I enjoyed my time with the game but I need that space VR. That is something I think they would announce at something big like at E3.

I only see VR, if at all, happening on the PC. They'll never get the frame rates to acceptable VR levels on the PS4, not even the Pro.

In terms of price, how long has NMS had a price cut to 39€ on the PS Store?

Skyzard

Banned
Well it's coming out this week, so you won't have to be teased for long.

It's strange how you say this is "marketing bs", but then also infer that many features they're releasing now were started before release. Why would that be BS then?

Sean said during his recent GDC talk that Hello was running out of money during development, which I assume to mean they shoved NMS out the door because they were broke. So my guess is Foundation was what they wanted to release for day 1 (minus the multiplayer features, though they did add messages). Path Finder will likely be the first batch of features that are really a "path forward".

I do hope there's much more than just a focus on land exploration in this update, but lets give them some benefit of the doubt. It will likely be as big as Foundation, given the similar dev times.

Why? Isn't that what got people screwed last time. That's exactly what I'm not going to do. They need to be pumping out big quality updates at a much faster pace. They aren't broke now but still haven't delivered on initial claims.

Please accept these changes...we'll have an end-game sometime...we're working on it! *What about the multipl--* what's that? Gotta go back into hiding. Stay tuned!

Danneee

I don't know, I've played about 15 hours and feel like I've seen everything the game has to offer. And I don't get why they'd add a ground vehicle, I mean that's good for getting around and exploring but there doesn't seem to be much variety on each planet.

Please accept these changes...we'll have an end-game sometime...we're working on it! What about the multipl-- what's that? Gotta go back into hiding. Stay tuned!

Jesus Christ, what is it always with this reasoning. Yes, you can be mad that you can't see other players like was promised, sure.

It won't make the game much different or better if you can though ffs

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"

That's not how it works. You can build a base *and* continue to explore a whole infinite universe. Explore a new star system, establish a link back to your base from the teleporter on the space station in the new system. Rinse and repeat. Should you find a planet that you like even better than the one you left your base on, you can relocate. The setup continues to emphasize exploration.

Xadijm said:
They need to make the game, they initially announced in order to get me back on their side.
You mean the game that everyone claimed not to know what you do in it, when it was initially announced?

Why? Isn't that what got people screwed last time. That's exactly what I'm not going to do. They need to be pumping out big quality updates at a much faster pace. They aren't broke now but still haven't delivered on initial claims.

Please accept these changes...we'll have an end-game sometime...we're working on it! *What about the multipl--* what's that? Gotta go back into hiding. Stay tuned!

I feel like if someone is going to say they haven't delivered on initial claims at this point, they should break out a checklist of features they think are still missing.

Here's the stuff I can think of
[ ] being able to see other players
[ ] true factions you can side with
[ ] planets orbit their stars, moons orbit planets (probably never happen at this point)
[ ] portals that work

I still haven't made it to the center of the galaxy so I can't speak to that (people say it's underwhelming), but this was never a game with a strong narrative focus. Is it actually a big deal to see some cutscene? Who cares? The narrative that exists doesn't really support some grand wrap-up. There's plenty of lore around to read, but the idea is you make your own narrative.

Ducktail

I certainly don't, unless they add multiplayer.

I know, I know, I was one of the people who said they didn't care whether the game had MP or not, but the core gameplay just got too tiresome for me, even with the last update.

Playing it with a friend would be a way to jump in again. Otherwise, I won't bother.

That's why you have to explore other planets to get materials to build your base and why you can explore and go back to your fixed planet from anywhere in the same galaxy.

i don't get what's "unfixable" If anything they have proved that the game rules are quite open for use and abuse by the devs and the players.

So no you're not bound by your planet. Base building is actually the opposite of that.

I would play the crap out of this game IF it was like the original videos which are likely still on the steam store page. Once they hopefully get their true Vision out I will definitely go back to it. The tech was there the execution however was not at all as advertised.

Skeletron

At least I had something to say about the topic... You on the other hand only ranted about how you dont understand why I have valid complains about this game. If you really just dont understood what I meant: They need to make the game, they initially announced in order to get me back on their side. Well, at least they do something but the game is not there yet, where it should have been at release
I posted with content on the first page bro.

Sorry, I didn't mean to target you personally. I'm just tired of drive-by threadshits in every NMS thread from people who have no intention of playing the game. I understand there are valid complaints.

bitbydeath

Aside from 'multiplayer' what's missing?

paulogy

The Foundation update added some depth. Hopefully more is coming in this next release. Otherwise what's the point of having a vehicle with nowhere to go? ;-)

Skyzard

Banned
I feel like if someone is going to say they haven't delivered on initial claims at this point, they should break out a checklist of features they think are still missing.

Here's the stuff I can think of
[ ] being able to see other players
[ ] true factions you can side with
[ ] planets orbit their stars, moons orbit planets (probably never happen at this point)
[ ] portals that work

I still haven't made it to the center of the galaxy so I can't speak to that (people say it's underwhelming), but this was never a game with a strong narrative focus. Is it actually a big deal to see some cutscene? Who cares? The narrative that exists doesn't really support some grand wrap-up. There's plenty of lore around to read, but the idea is you make your own narrative.

They made the center of the galaxy sound really special - I thought that's where at least the multiplayer aspect would come in since if everyone is too separated to start off with, working towards the center you're more likely to see players there ...

I don't want to spoil things, but just take your time with the game if you're enjoying the moment to moment stuff. Hopefully they'll have something more and at a faster rate than they've been working at so far, but I'm not convinced it's coming tbh.

It's a unique game in that a short period any your start it very quickly becomes a worse game the more you play.

It retroactively ruins moments from your earlier gameplay and memory.

It's kinda fascinating.

Top Bottom