• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky "Path Finder" Content Update announced

HowZatOZ

Banned
I feel like Astroneer is doing a far better job at the space exploration genre right now but it is good that Hello Games hasn't completely abandoned the game. It has a long way to go before I personally would consider it as worthy of a repurchase, especially with how repetitive the game can be and the controversial ending.

Xadjim

Banned
I posted with content on the first page bro.

Sorry, I didn't mean to target you personally. I'm just tired of drive-by threadshits in every NMS thread from people who have no intention of playing the game. I understand there are valid complaints.

I think most people, including me, do this because we want to show them where they went too far with their "marketing" talks. Its not okay to promise things, that dont make it into the game.
I already said what I was expecting from this and how it turned out to be. I know, most of my expectations probably havent been communicated exactly like that BUT they showed trailers that have been mostly kind of promising content, that never made it into the game like a big world where you play with your friends, random epic events occur, many things to do, big boss battles etc.

EDIT: I never meant to just hate again. Just wanted to say that I will be on board as soon as they add multiplayer with many different things you can explore.

I'm guessing the buggy will stay in a garage inside your base, that's why they're wording it that way, since you'll only be able to use the vehicle on the planet with the garage. Would be nice to actually be able to call in a drop from your freighter though (since you can teleport it to your current system anyway).

What I'm hoping for though is that the Path Finder update might add in reasons to actually explore with the buggy, generating gameplay-important points of interest that are a bit more different in nature (not just resource gathering and word learning), to encourage exploration. That would however require more substantial changes to the core gameplay, so I don't know, we'll see. They've certainly made a decent chunk of stuff from release to the Foundation update, so after these 3 or so months maybe we can expect some fundamental changes to at least what's there to do on planets. Otherwise, even though driving a buggy on those planets sounds pretty cool and fun for a while, it's really not enough. Sean's mentioned some stuff about the terrain generation and how they're still working on that as well, so it will be nice to see some changes and potential variety in there as well, since the Foundation update actually made the terrain even more interesting than it was before.

In any case, it's good that they're still working on the game, would've liked more communication from their side, and hopefully one day they'll make into something pretty great. I was actually thinking of booting up the game again after a longer while, so it's cool that they'll be something more to do.

MADGAME

Haven't played since before the foundation update. Think I'll reinstall after this one and explore a bit. As disappointing as the game was at launch, I enjoyed he atmosphere and 70s sci-fi ship designs.

Plus, I never figured out those large tower structure gate things that seemed like they were super important.

rexor0717

I hope they revamp their planet generator to allow for multibiome planets. Exploring isn't too fun when it all looks the same no matter where you go.

YESSS! I absolutely adore this game, I have a save file in Creative mode with a 48 slot exosuit, 48 slot ship, and a 48 slot freighter full of rare materials! I'm currently working on my weapon and the idea of a vehicle to explore your planet sounds very cool! Very relaxing game.

Also this game has one of the best space music soundtracks I've heard in my entire life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PL3d6JVeEHacii-_N4QGhSzT78ZmaKQszC&v=7ENONSZ8IQA

Still no apology and no explanation. That's all I'm looking for, and they refuse to offer it.

dglXMwp.jpg

Nameless

I jump on once of twice a month to look for a home planet, still haven't found one I want to lay down roots on. If only you could set a waypoint back to previously discovered planets.

The game is still sitting around here since launch, I played 2-3 hours max. I think I'll give it another shot when content updates are finished.

bitbydeath

like a big world where you play with your friends

Multiplayer will likely ruin the survival aspect of the game, imagine trying to gather resources on a planet with few available, that would suck even with just two people playing at once.

random epic events occur

Like what exactly, in terms of what was promised?

many things to do

There already are many things to do, got any specifics on what was promised here that wasn't delivered?

big boss battles etc.

That was obviously never promised and would make no sense in this game.

Oh a land vehicle would be ace. NMS has become the game my nephew loves to play when he visits-- in part because of how hand-holdy the ship controls are-- but a buggy he can cruise around a planet with would be great. Even better if they don't make it a pain to refuel. Cliff jumping with a land vehicle could be epic on a lot of the planets I've discovered.

Cels

yea there were two ways for them to deal with the launch outrage:

silence
or
a full-blown apology in the immediate aftermath of the release

we know which one they chose. an apology now would only draw attention to their botched release and remind people of how badly they fucked up. there will never be an apology.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I'm all for new content and new modes of transport but there HAS to be a motive other than going through the motions of attaining the blue prints, amassing the ingredients and building said transport. At the end of the day it all comes down to the planet/galaxy/universe procedural generation.

We need unique, one off features on planets that are only found rarely
We need more variety of creatures with a bigger variety of behaviours
We need far more types of flora, some of which (again) only appear once in a blue moon
We need new features for caves like ice, lava, pitch darkness, more dangers
We need cave specific content to give us a reason to investigate them thoroughly
We need creatures that protect very rare caches of rare materials
We need villages and camps populated by different tribes, some bad, some good.
We need themed planets: Gothic, fantasy, mysterious etc.

There are many things they could add that would make exploration interesting. Although all of the above seem to suggest they're playing to the idea of staying in one place, I don't think that would be the case. I would be landing on every planet and exploring every solar system if I knew there were unique things to be found and experienced. As it stands at the moment I often just fly over a planet and immediately know what to expect. Give me the unexpected.

And don't just give us the blue prints randomly, make us have to work for them through quests and the such.

I think, at this point in time, they should stop spending money on a game that's never going to turn back in public perception and start working on a new project.

If they are sorry they lied and want to make it up to us, they could give us NMS owners a discount in their next game.

Multiplayer will likely ruin the survival aspect of the game, imagine trying to gather resources on a planet with few available, that would suck even with just two people playing at once.
That's probably because Hello Games already knew the game was never going to have multiplayer when they made that design decision.

giphy.gif

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I think, at this point in time, they should stop spending money on a game that's never going to turn back in public perception and start working on a new project.

If they are sorry they lied and want to make it up to us, they could give us NMS owners a discount in their next game.

Do you people get a kick out of repeating the same thing in every NMS thead? We get it. You don't like it. Now move on and let those of us who enjoy the game enjoy the thread.

Being able to see someone if you happen to be in the same place as them...that's not multiplayer. Can we stop acting like we've been deprived of 1 million vs 1 million team deathmatch.

MrBS

Can I get an update to significantly increase the warp distance so I could get to the centre of the universe quicker? I'd like to 'beat' the game without pouring in any more time. Actually better yet don't and I'll just put this behind me.

Nerix

Great news, just started the game a few weeks ago. Hopefully they'll release the pro latch alongside with the update.

Still a bit annoyed about the Atlas path though. I reached the final interface with just 8 stones and am not able to finish it anymore.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Great news, just started the game a few weeks ago. Hopefully they'll release the pro latch alongside with the update.

Still a bit annoyed about the Atlas path though. I reached the final interface with just 8 stones and am not able to finish it anymore.

Did you sell them? I don't think you can get to the final interface without first gathering the 10 atlas stones. Either way, you can buy them from merchants. They're rare but they can be bought.

HeeHo

Same thing happened to me and I was able to backtrack and get them again somehow. Are you certain you're screwed?

I hope they revamp their planet generator to allow for multibiome planets. Exploring isn't too fun when it all looks the same no matter where you go.

That will never happen because the design was supposed to evoke Star Wars single-biome planets like Tatooine and Hoth. The Foundation update eliminated much of the samey feel of the biomes -- geological features are very complex and unique to each planet now, though I do hope they add more features like running water and flowing lava.

The major shortcoming on planets left for them to tackle is the lack of creature diversity. Greatly increasing the amount of base parts and changing the procgen so creatures look like they evolved to live on each planet would go a long way.

Scoobie

I like NMS for the technology and the beautiful art and the fact it's nice to chill out to now again.

However i just feel like it feels more like a tech demo more than a game. They really need to find a compelling gameplay loop, and they would be on to something big.

With the foundation update it was a case of, "ok, played with the building creation tech, that's me done with that", and i fear it will be the same with the buggy. Unless they add some gameplay and compelling reasons to explore i can't see myself ever spending a lot more time in this game apart from dipping in every update to sample the new tech.

Nerix

Same thing happened to me and I was able to backtrack and get them again somehow. Are you certain you're screwed?
I think so. I didn't sell any of them, but when I encountered the last interface the option with the ten stones was greyed out. So I had to choose the other option.

When I encounter the interface again, I can't interact with it in any way. Also the Atlas path option is gone in the dialogue with Nada.

I have no clue why I have only eight stones but encountered the final interface. Eventually I warped into 2 systems with interfaces without flying to them. But that shouldn't lock you out in finishing the mission. Others report the same problem, even after buying stones to get to ten.

When you encountered the last interface dialogue with less than ten stones, you're screwed.

dab0ne

I went from team preordered to team wait and see. I'll gladly keep waiting because the more fleshed out this game becomes the better my first experience will be. I would imagine that there are more people like myself who are interested but waiting.

I'm one. Its sitting on my shelf waiting for updates.

JoeBoy101

This! My thoughts exactly.

I'm getting sick of this shit. Their first and only announcement of the Foundation patch was on Twitter and on here it was: Base Building.

The actual list of patch changes? MORE than base building.

If they only have a vehicle in the patch than this half-assed tomato throwing is reasonable, but how about people hold fire until we SEE what is actually in the patch instead of trying to infer it from his quick message. Fuck's sake, its coming out this week. Not like we got to wait a while.

Minamu

This is great :D Too bad my home base is a water planet, and my base is on a tiny island :lol If it's not an amphibious vehicle, I'm pretty SOL, haha.

This is great :D Too bad my home base is a water planet, and my base is on a tiny island :lol If it's not an amphibious vehicle, I'm pretty SOL, haha.

On the flipside, if it is amphibious, Rigogen farming will no longer be the bane of my existence. Run through every resource you own to keep from drowning for 1,000 units over a half hour, if you're lucky... yay!

I'm hoping for something like Jinpei's buggy from Gatchaman, which was amphibious, and could also hover.
52fa52f687e33385433b9f3bb8b3a08a.jpg

When they released the Foundation Update, the game saw a pretty sharp uptick in users, so I'd say, yes, people care about it once they have new stuff to do in it. The lack of content was always the limiting factor.
Pretty much ever open world "survival" game is the same. Users usually tick up for major patches and updates then level off till the next one. It's certainly not dead.

The post-launch updates to this game are genuinely interesting, but I too can't quite get over that Murray talked about something as significant as multiplayer on talk shows, then did not so much as acknowledge it when the game released without supporting it.

The funny part is, I don't even want multiplayer in the game. I'd play solo anyway, and that never affected my purchase decision. I just can't get over the combination of lying and then being silent about it.

I like NMS for the technology and the beautiful art and the fact it's nice to chill out to now again.

However i just feel like it feels more like a tech demo more than a game. They really need to find a compelling gameplay loop, and they would be on to something big.

With the foundation update it was a case of, "ok, played with the building creation tech, that's me done with that", and i fear it will be the same with the buggy. Unless they add some gameplay and compelling reasons to explore i can't see myself ever spending a lot more time in this game apart from dipping in every update to sample the new tech.

I hope they're currently playtesting new game mechanics, but I don't have that much confidence.

I'm happy with survival mode as that is what I thought the game would be from the beginning (I was very disappointed with how easy it was).

But I want a better system for trading. I'd have preferred a bartering system, but I'd settle for at least a way of buying things by the thousand rather than 3 dozen and a way of tracking high profit items.

They really need the "trade, explore, fight" or whatever from their promotion to be divergent systems.

Top Bottom