• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky subreddit shut down, community erupts,

magawolaz

There were a couple more, but the amount of backlash is a bit absurd, considering what other devs have done in the past also. But yet here we are, page 2, and the "jokes" keep on coming. Was this thread created just so everyone could bash on NMS more?
I don't think it was OP's intention - even though the subreddit had already been back up for hours when he opened the thread... just Gaffers being Gaffers.

His only other comments on No Man's Sky are from an entirely different subreddit, called Writing Prompts. It's an independent community where people propose story ideas or concepts, and then others write stories around those ideas. The prompt for one story was a spin on the Last Starfighter:
"No Man's Sky is actually a secret military experiment designed to find candidates who are capable of withstanding the monotonous task of inhabiting dull and boring worlds. You are chosen because you have the most time logged in the game out of anyone else in the world -- a whopping 42 hours."

Dogesajob responds with

and

I can't believe he actually emoted spitting in someone's face.
This guy is off the deep end. Just wow

flkraven

I am getting really sick of hearing about the negative reaction when the only fib seems to be about rarely coming across other players. Almost every other point is "You can't do this but they said you could!" - "You can do that, look here" - "That's not what I imagined it would be!"

When Metal Gear Solid 4 was announced Kojima has a 15 minute video where he talks about a load of shit in the game as you watch gameplay which is unchanged from release and none of it made it in, shit happens.

Have you actually read any of the criticisms in the no man's sky threads? Or are you just wildly stabbing in the dark with your assumptions? Because I can assure you, there are TONS of legitimate concerns, one of which is that the developer directly lied when they said you could see each other at the same location.

Azoor

Well now two Redditors won't even be able to find each other on the same subreddit.

giphy.gif

akileese

Imo this is the kind of behaviour that could have been prevented if the nms dev team were more vocal with their community....most of the shit posting and mod frustrations appears to be directly related to the fact that players feel lied too/frustrated and want a response from the nms dev team (sean murray specifically), the mods are tired of dealing/hearing about these frustrations that they would likely no longer have to deal with / hear about had hello games responded to the critisims by now.

No it wouldn't. The sort of hate coming towards NMS (and I'm not talking the frustration..I'm talking the death threats, conspiracy theories, all the crazy shit) is coming from the sort of people who have made their mind up regardless of communication.

Even if we lived in an alternate world where HG was communicating with the fan base and even adding features, they still have a portion of their community that is irrational and incapable of compromise.

Hello Games massively screwed this up, but let's not forget that Sean Murray got DEATH THREATS after delaying the game. There is definitely a part of this community that cannot be reasoned with and is generally unhinged.

Wasn't it the press sneak fuck who got death threats after he reported it was getting delayed from people who really wanted the game?

The crazies are everywhere

Interesting look at behind the scenes of reddit. Years ago if the person who created the subreddit decided to make it private (I don't think you can ever "delete" a subreddit) or invite only there was nothing anyone could do except make a competing sub-reddit. My city's subreddit was taken over by trolls so a few people created a competing one and most people moved over.

Interesting now though that someone from the admin staff comes in and decides the person creating no longer has full power over the subreddit. Makes sense, its weird to just let random users "own" extremely popular sub reddits, but definitely veers far away from the original libertarian ideas.

soco

Maybe, but this is the first I've heard of a high profile game's subreddit being deleted within the first 2 months of release. Layer that on top of the complete shit storm that is NMS and the zero communication from Sean et al and it doesn't seem like just your run-of-the-mill game drama.

it might be the only one, but it doesn't mean much. it was just someone who had mod privileges on that subreddit it seems. Not an admin (so not reddit itself shutting it down). The same thing would happen here if you people could delete threads. some people just get upset and need drama in their lives.

Honestly I blame Sean for that disaster. Hello Games is doing themselves no favors by staying completely silent about the whole thing.

Geoff was right. It should have been an early access title that was like $30. They marketed and sold the game as a AAA title. The biggest gaming controversy of 2016 is No Mans Sky.

Harlequin

Nah, Sony already severed ties as soon as they could.

It's just Sean Murray's credibility, Hello Game's reputation, and No Man's Sky's long-term success that have all gone down the shitter.

But they were "touching" it for a considerable amount of time so, again, by the logic of anything that touches the game going to shit, it would also have to extend to Sony. (I'm being somewhat facetious here, obviously :p.)

Haunted

I really liked playing the game, I can understand someone who just wants to talk about the game itself being frustrated by all the hate online. Still childish of course, but I assume other subreddits will pop up quick if enough people want to talk about their experiences so this'll hardly have actual consequences outside of making the guy having the temper tantrum a laughing stock. :lol

Is this for real? I can't tell who's being genuine about this game anymore.
Ing
I'll just say that rarely coming across players is an understatement seeing as there's actually no multiplayer in the game at all.

What I'm saying is - player interaction was only ever hinted at vaguely, and the most confirmation we ever had was Sean saying something along the lines of "It could happen but its so crazy impossible it probably wont"

Thats a lie, sure. Persecute away. But Sean also did stress that was not what the game was about, and stressed it was a single player experience.

But once the ball got rolling there come all these claims about stuff like tankers or giant animals not being in the game, when they are. Then people start literally fact checking every single word Sean has ever said about the game, and some minor stuff, like naming your ship, did not make it in.

Something we all know is super common in game development. Big Sister isn't unscripted and does not hunt you through rapture. Killzone 2 footage was a target only. Mass Effect 3 ending did not change based on whether or not you hugged leonardo da vinci. Watch Dogs looked slightly worse.

Things change during development, and sometimes it is not in the best interests of a developer or publisher to hold a press conference and specify exactly what is no longer true to finite details. It might not be good practice but it is a fact of life. Luckily between pre release videos, reviews and post release discussion it is asinine to get mad at something which you easily have the power to fix.

Stop pre-ordering games based off the promises of an entity trying to make money.

soco

Interesting look at behind the scenes of reddit. Years ago if the person who created the subreddit decided to make it private (I don't think you can ever "delete" a subreddit) or invite only there was nothing anyone could do except make a competing sub-reddit. My city's subreddit was taken over by trolls so a few people created a competing one and most people moved over.

Interesting now though that someone from the admin staff comes in and decides the person creating no longer has full power over the subreddit. Makes sense, its weird to just let random users "own" extremely popular sub reddits, but definitely veers far away from the original libertarian ideas.

The article seems to suggest it was a mod, not an admin (so not reddit staff).

The reborn subreddit should show the user an animation of a bunch of posts zooming out for a minute before displaying 'new subreddit discovered' in the middle of the screen.

I am getting really sick of hearing about the negative reaction when the only fib seems to be about rarely coming across other players. Almost every other point is "You can't do this but they said you could!" - "You can do that, look here" - "That's not what I imagined it would be!"

When Metal Gear Solid 4 was announced Kojima has a 15 minute video where he talks about a load of shit in the game as you watch gameplay which is unchanged from release and none of it made it in, shit happens.

There were a couple more, but the amount of backlash is a bit absurd, considering what other devs have done in the past also. But yet here we are, page 2, and the "jokes" keep on coming. Was this thread created just so everyone could bash on NMS more?

You guys seems significantly out of the loop (or your just intentionally ignoring all the missing features in the game). Since you appear unaware of all the missing features....

https://www.vg247.com/2016/08/17/everything-missing-from-no-mans-sky-list/

planetary physics
ship classes with meaningful differentiation
faction reputation with meaningful gameplay impact
homogenous resource availability
asteroid landings
space station and fleet destruction
large fleets
traveling freighters
large scale battles the player can join
in-atmosphere battles
NPCs outside trading posts and other docks
ringed planets
sand planets
flying between stars (as opposed to warping via the Galactic interface)
complex creature behaviour including environmental interaction
rivers
points of interest such as large structures and crashed freighters
hacking locked doors
radio chatter
interaction with other players

oh yea...and its been months since we've heard anything regarding these features from Scumbag Murrary....perhaps if he had just spoken up by now, this whole thing would be behind the internet...the only person prolonging this whole thing is him imo. Either way, the credibility of Hello Games is pretty much non existent at this point and i doubt there is much that Murrary can do/say to change that.....but radio silence is potentially the worst thing he can be doing...hes allowed the internet to create its narrative about him...and that narrative suggests that he is a scumbag out for your money imo.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!

That was when MGS4 was announced, four months before release Kojima wasn't straight up lying about non-existent features that have no evidence of ever existing.

aeolist

Banned
What I'm saying is - player interaction was only ever hinted at vaguely, and the most confirmation we ever had was Sean saying something along the lines of "It could happen but its so crazy impossible it probably wont"

Thats a lie, sure. Persecute away. But Sean also did stress that was not what the game was about, and stressed it was a single player experience.

But once the ball got rolling there come all these claims about stuff like tankers or giant animals not being in the game, when they are. Then people start literally fact checking every single word Sean has ever said about the game, and some minor stuff, like naming your ship, did not make it in.

Something we all know is super common in game development. Big Sister isn't unscripted and does not hunt you through rapture. Killzone 2 footage was a target only. Mass Effect 3 ending did not change based on whether or not you hugged leonardo da vinci. Watch Dogs looked slightly worse.

Things change during development, and sometimes it is not in the best interests of a developer or publisher to hold a press conference and specify exactly what is no longer true to finite details. It might not be good practice but it is a fact of life. Luckily between pre release videos, reviews and post release discussion it is asinine to get mad at something which you easily have the power to fix.

Stop pre-ordering games based off the promises of an entity trying to make money.

you know they're still using the faked e3 2014 demo footage as advertising on their steam page right?

not to mention shit like the galaxy not actually being contiguous, stars not existing, and planets being static objects

things change and get removed during development, but hello games never let on up to and past the release of the game. everyone knew games like killzone 2, bioshock infinite, and watch dogs didn't look like the target demos when they came out because the stuff closer to release showed the games as they shipped. is that still shady and bad? sure, but pretending that your game still is some magical dream palace even as people are downloading and playing it is way worse.

wildfire

Banned
I mean considering the content on that subreddit I don't blame them. Some people were literally crazy and there was very little discussion about the actual game. Just "DAE Sean Murray should speak to us more?" followed with "I hope he dies" x10 in the comments.

Funny enough this is still Hello Games fault.

They pissed off a lot of people but only a small fraction are inclined to regular trolling.

If they actually made a good game that prevented active number of daily users to drop from 100k+ to <2000 in 3 weeks the subreddit would've had healthier discussions outweighing the negative ones.

qirex

To me this is just an excellent example of how a fairly small number of dedicated shitheads can completely destroy almost any discussion.

DataGhost

This is ridiculous. So they basically censored the community because they were saying negative things about the game itself?

No it wouldn't. The sort of hate coming towards NMS (and I'm not talking the frustration..I'm talking the death threats, conspiracy theories, all the crazy shit) is coming from the sort of people who have made their mind up regardless of communication.

Even if we lived in an alternate world where HG was communicating with the fan base and even adding features, they still have a portion of their community that is irrational and incapable of compromise.

Hello Games massively screwed this up, but let's not forget that Sean Murray got DEATH THREATS after delaying the game. There is definitely a part of this community that cannot be reasoned with and is generally unhinged.

The only death threats i remember hearing about were the ones brought forward by the NMS fan community (ie people who didnt want the game delayed and were essentially butt hurt)....in other words...hardcore NMS fans/enthusiast who could not accept the fact that the game was delayed and lashed out against those saying it was in fact delayed.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/5/29/11807840/no-mans-sky-delayed-death-threats-creator

I have not heard of or seen a single death threat related to missing features...but if you have and article referencing that this is infact happening currently to the NMS dev team on the same scale as it was when the game was delayed..then please..share....because the death threats appear to have come from the NMS fan side of the community and NOT the NMS hater side (if you want to boil it down black and white) .

Joey Ravn

Banned
To me this is just an excellent example of how a fairly small number of dedicated shitheads can completely destroy almost any discussion.

Yes, this is the normal reaction to a couple of devoted trolls trying to ruin the fun for everyone. It's not like the vast majority of the subreddit was critical of the game... oh, wait. Those "shitheads" were most of the users of the subreddit, and understandably so.

RootCause

This is ridiculous. So they basically censored the community because they were saying negative things about the game itself?
Doesn't look like that to me. More like some trolls are ruining the experience for those that still care about the game. If anyone hates what the actual NMS product turned out to be, then return it, or sell it. But going to a thread, about a game you no longer care about, to derail discussion among those who care is shitposting at its finest.

Geez, how much of a power trip do you have to be on to do this.

"You guys aren't talking about the game they way I want you too so I'm shutting everything down."

Just don't go to the subreddit anymore or step down as an admin. Simple.

KTO

I salute the mod for having the guts to pull the trigger. And I hope this gives the mod of r/gaming the courage to do the same. Most game specific subreddits are nothing but trash.

painey

I salute the mod for having the guts to pull the trigger. And I hope this gives the mod of r/gaming the courage to do the same. Most game specific subreddits are nothing but trash.

comments on the subreddit point out the mod who nuked the subreddit was a troll from The_Donald and they were just fucking with people the whole time.

DataGhost

Doesn't look like that to me. More like some trolls are ruining the experience for those that still care about the game. If anyone hates what the actual NMS product turned out to be, then return it, or sell it. But going to a thread, about a game you no longer care about, to derail discussion among those who care is shitposting at its finest.

That's true, but it could've been very easy to simply ban them instead of doing a complete wipe. Or if they were tired of that, they could've simply left. They're doing this for free after all.

Cels

Really? Oh boy. Have credit cards been charged?

at least some people have been charged for the whole amount ($150 + taxes). iam8bit gave codes to people on release so they could play the game without waiting for their boxes to ship.

some people have been able to get $90 refunds (because they got the code which is worth $60)

still pretty dumb, the latest delay email apologizes and uses the "we're a small company" excuse

Gator86

How is anyone still fighting this fight? Jesus. Thanks for being the first to point out the rigors of game development and suggest that people consider not pre-ordering games.

Jito

Banned
How is anyone still fighting this fight? Jesus. Thanks for being the first to point out the rigors of game development and suggest that people consider not pre-ordering games.

It's funny isn't it? Dude is pointing these things out like we've not heard it all before.

Yes games change during development, majority of devs don't continue to use fake game footage and act obtuse during interviews right up until release.

RootCause

That's true, but it could've been very easy to simply ban them instead of doing a complete wipe. Or if they were tired of that, they could've simply left. They're doing this for free after all.
Fair points. And there doesn't seem be a perfect solution for the entire community. Sometimes you have to put up with it, or just find a group of like-minded people, and creat a chat party.

This got me thinking. Sometimes I wonder what would happen if they had two threads, one for negative posts, and the other just for positive talk. I get the feeling the negative one, would lose activity in a couple of days.

Top Bottom