• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No need for Troy Baker, Laura Bailey, Liam O'Brien, etc... etc.. (The "typical" VAs)

Stiler

I don't know why video games (not all mind you, just some) seem to stick with video-game voice actors.

Why don't more games make use of the ample variety of cartoon voice actors?

I mean , Maurice LaMarche, Rob Paulsen, Jim Cummings, etc.

I'd love to hear these guys in video games more often, but video game developers seem content with just tapping the same well of VA's that stuck to video games mainly.

Neoxon

I don't know why video games (not all mind you, just some) seem to stick with video-game voice actors.

Why don't more games make use of the ample variety of cartoon voice actors?

I mean , Maurice LaMarche, Rob Paulsen, Jim Cummings, etc.

I'd love to hear these guys in video games more often, but video game developers seem content with just tapping the same well of VA's that stuck to video games mainly.
I'm not sure if they do video game gigs that often, though that would be a nice way to diversify things. That being said, there have been instances where cartoon voice actors came in for games from time-to-time (Cree Summers in Kid Icarus: Uprising, for example).

dorikyasu

I don't mind hearing "proven voice talents" in many games.
Matter of the fact, I'd love to see a game that Nolan North voices every single character (including narrator/announcer).

Zafir

It's not the voice actors who are the problem. I mean I'm absolutely sick of Troy Baker, Laura Bailey et al when they do the voice their known for. It's totally on the voice direction though. I mean there are games where they can do some great voices, it's just often they don't get chance.

Nolan North is a good example because you can find videos of how many voices he can actually do (one example - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DB-Fw6yxAcE). Everyone just knows him as Nathan Drake though, and not for any of the varied voices he does in Dota 2 or whatever else.

Why would want to get rid of Laura Bailey? Shes a great voice actress, especially on Gears 4 which im going through right now.

Nolan North is a legend so he is untouchable, but yeah more variety in voice actors could be needed for the biggest roles. Or more Keith David...that mans voice is like angels singing.

I'm not too fond of Troy Baker. His Ocelot was bad,

Liam o Brien is good but always the same, let it be the Pope from DMC4, or the book from Nier, War or Caius.

worst ocelot by far.

about Liam: going from valkyrie profile 2 villain to the pope in devil may cry 4 was one of the most hype deflating moments. you would immediately recognize it was him.

Phased

I thought Troy Baker did a good job as Joker in Arkham Origins. He was mostly imitating Mark Hamill but I felt he pulled it off.

When he totally transforms himself like he did for The Last Of Us he's great. Unfortunately in a lot of games he tends to do the same voice. Protagonist from Shadow of Mordor sounds just like Drake's brother, sounds just like Snow from FF13, sounds just like Two Face from Arkham Knight.

I think a lot of people hire him because of how distinct his voice is, but when he actually branches out he does good stuff.

Muffdraul

I was starting to get really sick of Troy Baker a long time ago, but then he somehow won me over. It was probably after TLOU, I thought "Actually, this guy should probably do MORE games than he already does."

I feel similarly about Laura Bailey, I think it was earlier this year that I realized how many games she's been in for years, I had no idea it was the same actress because she has such good range.

I agree.
They do excellent jobs sometimes, but in others they are really recognizable and it's tiring to hear them over and over and over.

We need charles martinet in more roles thought ¿?

Totbjorn

Neo Member
A bit off topic but with all the love for certain voice actors in this thread I feel I need to push some people to Critical Role.

Mathew Mercer, Liam O'Brian, Laura Baily, Travis Willingham Ashley Johnsson and other great voice actors play DnD live on Geek&Sundry twitch channel every thursday at 7 pacific time.
Next episode will be episode 72 of a campaign that has been going for several years.
Mercer is the DM and really shows of his range by voicing every NPC as well as being an amazing story teller. The rest plays their own characters but since they have played them for so long they feel very real, to the point of them crying real genuine tears when one of them risk permanent death.

The first episodes have some issues with sound and general production quality but it gets better as it goes on.

I find CR amazing and rivals any TV show for drama and there isn't really anything like it out there.
There are other long running DnD games out there but the incredible talents of these actors take it to a whole other leve.

Those in the OP have a ton of range but I'm really sick of most of their 'default voice', especially Laura Bailey's which really stands out.

KorrZ

The benefit of voice acting is that these high quality actors like Nolan can use their range in a way that you have no idea it's them. Look at Nolan in the Last of Us. How many people picked out that it was him voicing David immediately until it became common knowledge?

The problem comes in when they're directed to sound like a past performance "Do your voice like Drake" .

IzzyF3

The VA that I absolutely can't stand is Steve Blum. I've only been able to tolerate him in Shadows of the Damned, but other than that... he stands out like a sore thumb. He usually puts on the tough guy voice and speaks his roles.

Troy Baker, Nolan North, Laura Bailey, Jennifer Hale and the like are great actors/actresses don't get me wrong, and I don't mind hearing their voices all the time, but I can pick them out easily at this point even with their broad range. For games like Xenoblade Chronicles where the English version was never intended for USA audience, the voices felt very fresh. While I don't need all voices to be different, I do need the main cast to be less common from time to time.

Games like Alien Isolation, Bioshock 2 and Infinite has been using uncommon female leads and that has worked well.

joms5

I'm all for more variety in voice acting.

Sometimes it's hard to picture a character as anyone else but someone they've played in another game.

I'm looking at you Lambert.

StarHammer

Neo Member
This thread is particularly onerous considering the current actors' strike.

Odds that OP is a stealthy publisher trying to devalue the value of talent?

pashmilla

Banned
I'm sick of Troy Baker and Nolan North but I could listen to Laura Bailey's Saints Row voice all day every day for the rest of my life and not get tired of it. She is da queen.

suzu

New blood is nice, but if known VAs are good at their job then they should be getting work.

Having the same voice actors in a bunch of games doesn't bother me, as long as it's good acting.

Top Bottom