• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No, Sony is not abusing open source and FreeBSD?

winjer

Gold Member
Sony uses FreeBSD on their consoles. Which is an open source operating system.
So the question one could have is if Sony is just free loading on the work of open source community.

The TLDR is no. Sony does contribute to the FreeBSD development, but takes great care not to be credited for it. probably for security reasons.

Drew1440

I wonder why they went with FreeBSD instead of a Linux kernel? Is FreeBSD more flexable for embedded designs?

Mahavastu

interesting is, that LLVM was mentioned as where Sonys does its biggest contribution.
But then it is understandable: they probably add PS5 specific optimizations and those automaticly improve all games using their SDK

Hudo

I wonder why they went with FreeBSD instead of a Linux kernel? Is FreeBSD more flexable for embedded designs?
because FreeBSD (and many other BSDs) is released under the BSD license, which essentially says that you can do whatever the fuck you want with and you can keep your modifications private but no upstream support is provided. Whereas the Linux kernel is released under GPLv2, which is essentially the same as the BSD license except that everthing you modify or add to the code you took, you have to contribute publicly to open source as well (so others can take your shit, too).

Also, the BSD kernel is arguably closer to Unix or "purer", if you will, than the Linux kernel.

To this day, there is a lively discussion among the neckbeards about which is the freer license; it's quite hilarious.

tumblr_mrncxp6QCK1ss7y5io1_400.gif

Honestly don't see the issue. I'd do the same and use FreeBSD if building my own OS

Last edited:

ReyBrujo

Besides the license, BSD has better security record. If you want extensibility you use Linux, if you want security you use BSD.

Honestly don't see the issue. I'd do the same and use FreeBSD if building my own OS
There's none, just another clickbait YouTube video. Next, "Is Nintendo making our children more stupid by creating games so good they can't stop playing?"

Last edited:

Hudo

Besides the license, BSD has better security record. If you want extensibility you use Linux, if you want security you use BSD.
Good point. Especially OpenBSD is probably one of the most secure OSs there is (but that comes at a price, where they sacrifice performance of basic system calls for security).

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Bumping this but I find it interesting that Sony has contributed to the development of LLVM which is incidentally used to translate the Power PC code of the PS3. This is then converted to x86.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
The core Unix OS of Mac/iOS, Darwin is also derived from FreeBSD and NeXTSTEP(which is derived from BSD).
If they went with Linux, they would have to open source their OS.

Crayon

The core Unix OS of Mac/iOS, Darwin is also derived from FreeBSD and NeXTSTEP(which is derived from BSD).

^^^ That's right it's more to do with the license than the capability. The bsd license is not asking much compared to the one used for linux.

RoboFu

One of the green rats

OSX has moved so far betond bsd that you can't even say they are the same anymore, but yes the initial osx was built off of it.

DinoD

OSX has moved so far betond bsd that you can't even say they are the same anymore, but yes the initial osx was built off of it.
I'd rather put it this way. Its core/kernel is still based on BSD (Networking TCP/IP stack, File System).

ReBurn

Gold Member
I can't imagine anyone legitimately being upset about Sony using FreeBSD. As long as they honor the terms of the license then who cares? Certainly nobody who understands open source.

Open source doesn't necessarily mean developed for free by struggling underpaid independent developers trying to help save the world. Tons of wildly successful and widely used open source projects are owned, developed and/or supported by corporations.

Top Bottom