• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Winds of Winter in 2017. Most likely 2018.

Moff

what if he finished ADOS first because he wants to finish the Saga before the show, and releases TWOW 10 years later

carlsojo

ADWD has a good book in there, buried under a lot of excess. Plus it introduces Penny, my least favorite character in the series.

If Winds of Winter ever comes out I am actually dreading how bad it's going to be in terms of it being too long and needing drastic cuts.

I can easily see the books being drastically different in conclusion to the way the show ends up. There are so many other sub plots and characters in the books that are totally absent in the show and so many characters act and have totally different fates than in the books as well. Not only that but I'm sure things have probably been changing in GRRM's head compared to what he gave to D and D. I'm sure the big stuff will turn out the same but a lot of how it gets to that point will be different.

I think the best comparison will be Fullmetal Alchemist and the differences between the manga and the first anime. I think GoT will end up with a mostly separate ending than what ASoIaF finishes with. There are tons of differences already, and quite a few of them seem important enough to change various endings.

The show is unbearable, though.
For one, I can't keep watching Emilia Clarke and Harrington keep trying to do what they call "acting." And the way they keep butchering characters for unfathomable reasons is intolerable.

Would prefer to never get the ending than to see the "ending" they come up with on the show.

Yeah, I've seen most of the show, and it made me retroactively hate Jon and Dany. The former because Kit is an awful actor, the latter because the show gets Dany's character completely wrong (she's portrayed as a lovable princess out to help people when in the books she's a raging noble who punishes disrespect like a dictator while ruling like a hypocrite; in the books, she's only just now maybe figuring out how shitty she is).

duckroll

Anyone who really thinks that inefficient typing is in any way a factor in holding the books back is probably as delusional as GRRM is of his books ever finishing.

The powers that be better make sure Brandon Sanderson has the Martin's notes in case he croaks. At this rate it's going to go that route.

George doesn't take notes, his lack of physical note taking and outlining is one of the reasons why the series is in this mess.

I'm pretty sure he's got it in writing at this point that the series won't continue without him.

Anyone who really thinks that inefficient typing is in any way a factor in holding the books back is probably as delusional as GRRM is of his books ever finishing.
Seriously. He's been typing this way for decades and was able to knock out CoK in 2.5 years and SoS in 1.5 years. It may be a bit faster if he were more efficient, but I think we'd still be where we are today if that were so.

Not

Banned
You guys will care. The book will come out, and it'll do amazing, and it'll be an event, and everyone will read it.

Tsundere-ass motherfuckers

Maengun1

Martin is a great storyteller, but as a professional writer he has virtually every single bad habit you can have, as bad as you could possibly have it. He's also in denial about his faults and super stubborn and constantly doubles down ("I finally figured out my problem! All downhill from here!" *another 4 years passes with the least amount of progress yet*
KuGsj.gif
LLShC.gif
)

Idk though, it sucks but I also find myself more in the "he doesn't really owe us anything" camp. Not angry, just.....disappointed. I think following the saga of his inability to publish these novels is really interesting and often funny in and of itself, lol. If the damn book EVER comes out it will be like the end of an era. A milestone event in human history.

I really do want to read the damn book though, especially as someone who once considered the show to be a fantastic adaptation but has completely soured on it (since it diverged from and past the books
KuGsj.gif
)

Top Bottom