• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Winds of Winter in 2017. Most likely 2018.

ADWD had some really good stuff, but with a few less Snow, Tyrion and Dany chapters he could have put in the book's climax and had a much better work.
Dany has a lot of chapters that retread the same water. And while I like Jon and Tyrion's chapters each could have been restructured to cut two chapters. Not sure where else I'd cut; those three characters dominate the book.

bionic77

People still think he is going to finish this series?

The only way it ends is if he gets someone to finish it like Jordan did with Wheel of Time.

tumblr_n8j26lbebW1spd5tjo1_500.jpg

TheXbox

ADWD came out after season 1, tbf.
He finished his manuscript before S1 aired.

Think about it. Think about how unbelievably insane this is. He hasn't written a book. No chance for 2017. Seven years. Eight seasons of television. NOTHING.

HBO could foreseeable launch their successor GOT program before Martin has even written the next ASOIAF book -- let alone finish the series.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
It still pains me to see ADWD labeled as trash in this thread. ADWD contains some of the best material in the entire series. That book's problems start and end with his approach to the Meereenese Knot and his lack of editing. And the former problem primarily affected AFFC. If ADWD had been trimmed by a good editor and given an actual resolution, it would be right up there with the first three books.

I have to deal with my favorite show being labeled trash in every ASOIAF/GoT thread. I think no matter anyone's position on the universe, unless they're talking about ACoK, ASoS, or 2x09 "Blackwater", someone is gonna chime in that it's trash, heh.

People who swore, when the show started, that they'd wait until all the books released before watching, are seriously about to see the whole show both 1) start and 2) end before one of the last books released.

Just watch the show, yall deserve to know how the story ends and it flat-out is not being published by that guy in his or your lifetime.
I am this person.

I've held out for so long and managed to avoid a shitiload of spoilers, but I don't know if I can do it anymore. This is just bullocks. My neighbors have em all in blu ray. MIght have to go knock on their door.

I've written three books in the time it's taken Martin to maybe write one, and I work a full-time job and do a bunch of other hobbyshit too.

zethren

Banned
He finished his manuscript before S1 aired.

Think about it. Think about how unbelievably insane this is. He hasn't written a book. No chance for 2017. Seven years. Eight seasons of television. NOTHING.

HBO could foreseeable launch their successor GOT program before Martin has even written the next ASOIAF book -- let alone finish the series.

I mean, he IS writing the book. It's just possible he won't RELEASE the next book before the end of the series.

Who can say at this point. Only GRRM.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
This is getting a bit absurd
R. Scott Bakker was also five years late with the sixth book of The Second Apocalypse but after it was released last July he promised book 7 will be out by July 2017. And he delivered.

This one flew under my radar

Steejee

Well so are books 4 and 5.

I found them much better when read back to back in quick succession. Martin definitely needs an editor who can take a hatchet to his work, like the show has done.

As for WoW and ADoS, I've reached the point, like many others, that the show is basically the definitive version of Song of Ice and Fire. I'd like to read the conclusions to all the book storylines that are different/missing from the show, but I'm not holding my breath anymore.

On Martin's work style - his choice of software is weird, but in the end if it puts text to a usable format, then that's fine. Lots of content creators have their eccentricities, and and old word processor wouldn't be that weird and probably wouldn't even slow him down any. One finger typing though, yeesh. Neither are really the reason he's had so much trouble finishing the series though. He pumped the first three books out and has written tons of other random crap with that method.

I found them much better when read back to back in quick succession. Martin definitely needs an editor who can take a hatchet to his work, like the show has done.

As for WoW and ADoS, I've reached the point, like many others, that the show is basically the definitive version of Song of Ice and Fire. I'd like to read the conclusions to all the book storylines that are different/missing from the show, but I'm not holding my breath anymore.

On Martin's work style - his choice of software is weird, but in the end if it puts text to a usable format, then that's fine. Lots of content creators have their eccentricities, and and old word processor wouldn't be that weird and probably wouldn't even slow him down any. One finger typing though, yeesh. Neither are really the reason he's had so much trouble finishing the series though. He pumped the first three books out and has written tons of other random crap with that method.

One finger typying is the wierdest thing i have ever heard for an author. Cant imagine why he hasnt ever taken the time to learn how to keyboard properly. It would drive me insane to write a book out like that.

If he isnt going to allow another writer to finish his work, he could at least hire an intern to type for him as he dictates. Would save so much time.

It still pains me to see ADWD labeled as trash in this thread. ADWD contains some of the best material in the entire series. That book's problems start and end with his approach to the Meereenese Knot and his lack of editing. And the former problem primarily affected AFFC. If ADWD had been trimmed by a good editor and given an actual resolution, it would be right up there with the first three books.

GRRM has a great editor. He just ignores all her advice now.

randome

This is disappointing. Read the books a couple years ago (maybe 3-4 now?) and said I wouldn't watch the show until the books are done. It doesn't seem like the next book, let alone the other one(s), will be out anytime soon so I'll probably just wait until the show is done and watch it since it's getting tough to avoid spoilers. I don't really care about it anymore though. :/

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member

It was a bad choice to go beat by beat rather than do some time skips when nothing was happening. Could have easily summarized half of the Dany and Jon chapters in "and they continued to sit around doing the same shit they did the chapter before, but with different characters".

Tyion's journey could have been cut for time constraints but I really enjoyed the world building stuff offered there so he gets a pass.

AFOC is worse though. I loved watching the slow trainwreck of Cersei but god damn was Dorne a slog and the "young maiden, fair, with auburn hair" quest we all knew would fail because she was looking in the wrong goddamned place.

I don't even care at this point, really. I'll just finish up with the show and call that an ending. Thank you, Martin.

This.

At this point I'm just fucking pissed at him for selling the rights to his life's work and having someone else tell the ending. And on top of it dragging his ass with TWOW when he could of had that shit done years ago instead of fucking around. Fuck him.

/rant.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
This.

At this point I'm just fucking pissed at him for selling the rights to his life's work and having someone else tell the ending. And on top of it dragging his ass with TWOW when he could of had that shit done years ago instead of fucking around. Fuck him.

/rant.

Would have been totally fine with GRRM being open and saying "Look, guys, I really REALLY prefer working in Television and writing novels has become nearly impossible for me now, so I'll be co-writing the last two novels with my trusted friend _______ to ensure my fans get a satisfying conclusion to the adventure they've followed for nearly two decades."

Calion

I bet if GRRM does more interviews, blogposts, fan signings, and world traveling he'll get the book done faster 🙃

Well so are books 4 and 5.

5 is so good. The Northern politics stuff in book 5 is some of the best stuff in the series (Manderly, Frey, Bolton, Umber, etc). The north remebers speech, the frey pies, the blizzard at winterfell, the murders, stannis's army beating the drum outside the wall's of winterfell. The show bungled such good material. Smh

Would have been totally fine with GRRM being open and saying "Look, guys, I really REALLY prefer working in Television and writing novels has become nearly impossible for me now, so I'll be co-writing the last two novels with my trusted friend _______ to ensure my fans get a satisfying conclusion to the adventure they've followed for nearly two decades."

I don't think he can do that at this point. His pride won't allow it. And last I checked he was adamant that if he died all his notes would be destroyed so no one else can finish it (thought at this point I'm staring to believe he has no notes, but thats another issue).

Its really hard for some writers to admit their work is flawed and they need help. Don't believe me? Go to any novel writing workshop. I guarantee that by the third meeting half the people will have left because they could not stand seeing their work critiqued, even if it was all helpful and constructive.

Ravager61

What is this Fire and Blood bullshit? Why is he writing that too? As if he needed more distractions to take away from writing time, he's got 2 other books he's writing. No one asked for that shit Martin! This fucking guy.

Well obviously no WoW in 2017. I'd be surprised if it drops in 2018.

I think the series being finished at all is 50/50.

It's absurd to be that I started reading the series when AFFC came out, because BArnes and Noble had a lot of hype for it, and I followed the hype with the AFFC delays from fan communities online. So, I figured, this is great, I'm jumping into the series when he's finished the book he's had so much trouble with and then the next one will come out right away. Well, here we are 11 years later.

Damn u guys need to show some respect. I don't see u guys doing any world crafting to the scale of asoiaf

Release it when it's ready, grrm

GRRM regularly complains about the New England Patriots and especially Tom Brady, yet something tells me he ain't winning 5 Super Bowls anytime soon. He still has a right to complain and criticize.

jfkgoblue

Well obviously no WoW in 2017. I'd be surprised if it drops in 2018.

I think the series being finished at all is 50/50.

It's absurd to be that I started reading the series when AFFC came out, because BArnes and Noble had a lot of hype for it, and I followed the hype with the AFFC delays from fan communities online. So, I figured, this is great, I'm jumping into the series when he's finished the book he's had so much trouble with and then the next one will come out right away. Well, here we are 11 years later.
You're an optimist if you think it's 50/50.

What do you think he means by "some days are good, some days are bad"

Does he mean his motivation? Does he not give a shit anymore.

Or does he mean sometimes he writes stuff and it's total shit and he scraps it?

How crazy is it that between dance with dragons releasing and winds of winter there will have been at least 6 seasons of the show out which have now surpassed dance in some plotlines. Lol

What is this Fire and Blood bullshit? Why is he writing that too? As if he needed more distractions to take away from writing time, he's got 2 other books he's writing. No one asked for that shit Martin! This fucking guy.

Well the material for the first one is apparently from the time when he wrote a (huge) novel's worth of fake history for The World of Ice and Fire (instead of the short columns he was supposed to...). It's already written, and his publishers are probably desperate for anything he's finished, so he might as well release it...

That second volume though...

The second volume, which will carry the history from Aegon III up to Robert's Rebellion, is largely unwritten, so that one will be a few more years in coming.

I've defended GRRM a lot, and I don't mind the fake history stuff, from his blog posts and the speed in which he pumped the Dance of the Dragons stuff out it seemed like it really rekindled his love of Westeros

But if this comes out before TWOW... A man breaks

cyba89

People who swore, when the show started, that they'd wait until all the books released before watching, are seriously about to see the whole show both 1) start and 2) end before one of the last books released.

Just watch the show, yall deserve to know how the story ends and it flat-out is not being published by that guy in his or your lifetime.

Game Of Thrones *NO SHOW DISCUSSION* |OT| Winds Of Winter
*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL TV SEASONS* Game Of Thrones |OT| Winds Of Winter

M.Bluth

This is deeply frustrating. I bet he'd benefit from listening to his editor and not waste so much time writing stuff that don't move the plot. He did enough world building at this point...

The show is unbearable, though.
For one, I can't keep watching Emilia Clarke and Harrington keep trying to do what they call "acting." And the way they keep butchering characters for unfathomable reasons is intolerable.

Would prefer to never get the ending than to see the "ending" they come up with on the show.

TheXbox

Well the material for the first one is apparently from the time when he wrote a (huge) novel's worth of fake history for The World of Ice and Fire (instead of the short columns he was supposed to...). It's already written, and his publishers are probably desperate for anything he's finished, so he might as well release it...

That second volume though...

I've defended GRRM a lot, and I don't mind the fake history stuff, from his blog posts and the speed in which he pumped the Dance of the Dragons stuff out it seemed like it really rekindled his love of Westeros

But if this comes out before TWOW... A man breaks
Perhaps it's worth pointing out that he still wrote all the AWOIAF material after ADWD. That's 250,000 words (written by Martin himself, not Elio/Linda), or nearly the length of AGOT, if anyone's counting.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
People still think he is going to finish this series?

The only way it ends is if he gets someone to finish it like Jordan did with Wheel of Time.

Pretty sure he mentioned in the past that he doesn't want anyone else to work on his books in the event he passes away before they're done, which is pretty fucked imo

Valhelm

contribute something
Cool. I stopped biting my nails for TWOW a few years ago, once I realized that the quality of GRRM's storytelling is much more important than when I get to read it. While I wish that he'd write his supplementary material after finishing the series, I'm excited to learn more about Westeros before the Baratheons.

Fjordson

I'm actually really interested in the Fire & Blood material and any other Westeros stuff. I love the universe.

But yeah, with the current situation on the main series, it's a bit strange to see something like that coming out.

5 is so good. The Northern politics stuff in book 5 is some of the best stuff in the series (Manderly, Frey, Bolton, Umber, etc). The north remebers speech, the frey pies, the blizzard at winterfell, the murders, stannis's army beating the drum outside the wall's of winterfell. The show bungled such good material. Smh

Compared to what's in the first 3 books, little of that is good material. There is a clear drop-off in quality once you finish book 3.

Biske

At that point, the series probably ain't going to get finished.

Even if he lives till like 100 he doesn't seemed focused on actually finishing it. And frankly I can't really blame him.

Top Bottom