• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NoA's Wii release list: no sign of Xenoblade or The Last Story

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Bel Marduk said:
Yet with bringing over games like DQ and Fortune Street, they sure aren't following those "priorities" very closely...

Also I don't really see that much of a market for Fortune Street. It's a Monopoly type game with DQ and Mario characters...the target market is very niche. They're not targeting Mario platforming fans or DQ RPG fans.
Yup. And Dragon Quest isn't being promoted in the west because the market really demands it.... DQIX was heavily promoted in the west pretty much due to personal relationships between Nintendo/Enix in Japan.

If they can attempt to hammer DQIX into the minds of western gamers, they sure as hell can hammer through marketing for Xenoblade/Last Story.

daffy

Banned
Lard said:
Likely. It fucking annoys me that I have to..
Interesting. Aren't you glad that it was localized at all? It could've remained a JP only release you know!

Its time to get hype baby.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Bel Marduk said:
Also the weird thing is that someone emailed them recently and they still say the game's been announced, just with no release.

It's the generic email we've been getting but I wonder if the same info still applies.

What you have to realize is that no one, ever, not in the history of the company, has learned a new piece of factual information from emailing support. That includes cancellations and announcements.

Lard

Banned
FTH said:
Interesting. Aren't you glad that it was localized at all? It could've remained a JP only release you know!

Its time to get hype baby.

It annoys me that Nintendo continually denies me the games I want to buy for their system, and makes me jump through hoops to play it. That's not entitlement, it's called giving your customers a reason to buy your product.

sphinx

the piano man
stump, can I open a thread to mourn and whine about the absence of pikmin now? I'd really like to talk about that :'-(

Codeblue said:
I just realized Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem wasn't there either. God damn it.

If they don't make Fire Emblems with Western audience in mind, perhaps we'll get more games in line with Thracia 776. That's fine by me.

Diffense

This has put a damper on the whole thing for me.
Wii U is a year away who cares about that.
I have a Wii that has sedimentary rock layers above it now.
And Nintendo, who's committed to the hardcore, fails to even mention Xenoblade after teasing us with it in 2009.
Very Fail.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Amir0x said:
like anyone should be surprised :mad:

Euroland release for Xenoblade scremed guaranteed US release for me.

Hopeful maybe something will be said before shows end, It's niche enough that I didn't expect it at the conference.

I can't help but feel a bit ignored so I'll do it this way. Its just I get a peeved off when people give bad advice after I give good advice.
Lard said:
PlayAsia is probably going to be the most reliable.
Wait, seriously? You are suggesting that to import a game from Europe to America you should use a retailer in Hong Kong?

This is after I suggest a perfectly good UK retailer who will ship to America. Why create a needless middleman? Plus its not like Play-Asia stocked the EU version of Disaster or Another Code:R. Last Window is only EU release they stocked from what I can gather.

daffy

Banned
Lard said:
It annoys me that Nintendo continually denies me the games I want to buy for their system, and makes me jump through hoops to play it. That's not entitlement, it's called giving your customers a reason to buy your product.
Nooo that doesn't work, but ok I see what you mean. I hope you enjoy both games when you buy them :D

Starwolf_UK said:
I can't help but feel a bit ignored so I'll do it this way. Its just I get a peeved off when people give bad advice after I give good advice.

Wait, seriously? You are suggesting that to import a game from Europe to America you should use a retailer in Hong Kong?

This is after I suggest a perfectly good UK retailer who will ship to America. Why create a needless middleman? Plus its not like Play-Asia stocked the EU version of Disaster or Another Code:R. Last Window is only EU release they stocked from what I can gather.

You said the game should be £44.95 (with shipping) to buy. How much is that in US dollars (they do accept US credit cards right?)? Also, will the game get price drops?

Diffense

DrForester said:

Hopeful maybe something will be said before shows end, It's niche enough that I didn't expect it at the conference.

Yeah, I didn't expect them to showcase it at the conference either.
I was hoping it oulwd be on the show floor. I'd even settle for confirmation that its coming.
Or, god forbid, confirmation that its not so I can resolve to get the EU version.
And evaluate whether to bother with Nintendo when they're failing to deliver their own games to the people who've been buying their crap for a decade or more.

Newsflash Reggie: Wii "is a box" too. We need games.

thefro

BocoDragon said:
Yup. And Dragon Quest isn't being promoted in the west because the market really demands it.... DQIX was heavily promoted in the west pretty much due to personal relationships between Nintendo/Enix in Japan.

If they can attempt to hammer DQIX into the minds of western gamers, they sure as hell can hammer through marketing for Xenoblade/Last Story.

The Last Story was specifically made to appeal to the West... heck it's more like Gears of War than Final Fantasy in a lot of ways.

jjasper

DrForester said:

Why? There have been plenty of games that have come out in Europe but not the US for the Wii. NOA sucks and it isn't coming from them.
Carl said:
Great reason to buy a WiiU - they'll leave it to die after 5 years like they've done with Wii

They have done this with every console since the N64.

Foffy

Banned
Carl said:
Great reason to buy a WiiU - they'll leave it to die after 5 years like they've done with Wii

...Welcome to the average lifespan of most platforms? When did you get on board?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
So skipping past the obvious "fuck Nintendo" reaction to this, I'm thinking about importing a European wii... But would I run into issues with the pal standard? Not sure if Wii games work on NTSC tvs like a lot of dreamcast games did.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Chacranajxy said:
So skipping past the obvious "fuck Nintendo" reaction to this, I'm thinking about importing a European wii... But would I run into issues with the pal standard? Not sure if Wii games work on NTSC tvs like a lot of dreamcast games did.

Why do you want to import a European Wii?

Aexact

Seda said:
The Last Story was rumored to go to EU.

Wait what.

Okay, I've dug through the news threads and it's something about some Nintendo rep saying it's coming over (or rather, a guy who runs a 3DS fansite said he asked that question to a rep that said it was coming over) and Sakaguchi himself giving cryptic comments on Twitter?

Danny Dudekisser

Stumpokapow said:
Why do you want to import a European Wii?

It's usually the easiest way to play games from another region. I guess I'm not familiar with Wii homebrew stuff, but I'm assuming there's something that makes it a pain in the ass... There usually is with importing for just about any system.

TheBaldEmperor said:
I just don't understand what the hell Wii owners are supposed to be playing while we wait for Zelda.
Its in the OP. Wii Play 2, Mystery Case, Kirby and Fortune Street (if you can figure out what the last one is). Europe is the same just swap out Kirby with Xenoblade (Kirby games sell terribly here so they get low priority in release schedules...though Epic Yarn seems to be doing okay so maybe its the start of a new era) I guess. Though we don't have Mystery Case of Fortune Street confirmed either but I'm just guessing really (NOE like to keep their cards close too).

jjasper said:
Why? There have been plenty of games that have come out in Europe but not the US for the Wii. NOA sucks and it isn't coming from them.
I think the fact that money is going into this localisation (full voice acting is not cheap) would make you think Nintendo would want to get the most out of it (i.e. releasing the game in America).

To give NOA a reason (they can't be that random). All I can think is the dreadful sales of Bomba of Heracles have given NOA cold feet (why does NOA like to give 8-4 cursed projects anyway?) or made the puppet masters at NCL say "no NOA we can not allow you to do this, you have proven that the RPG genre is dead in America unless it is Dragon Quest in which thou must" (if you believe the whole NCL control everything NOE and NOA release line) when they forget nobody asked for that game, had poor Japanese impressions hence why it sold like crap (IIRC either 8-4 or NOA said it was a release schedule filler and nothing more). Here, we've got everybody asking for this game (even its a "I want cos Europe has it") and shining Japanese impressions so I hope they would re-think their decision. But I admit critical acclaim has never equaled sales.

Bel Marduk said:
You said the game should be £44.95 (with shipping) to buy. How much is that in US dollars (they do accept US credit cards right?)? Also, will the game get price drops?
It might be (its a worst case scenario guess, first party Wii games tend to be anywhere from £35-£40). Hard to say how much that'll be in $s due to exchange rates, they take money from the account when they dispatch order for instance today it would be around $75 but say on September 13th 2010 it would have been around $69. Plus your credit card might charge a small premium for currency conversions (either a few % of the total or like a $5 fee). The cards they accept are "VISA, MasterCard credit cards as well as Maestro, Solo and Delta debit cards" and I assume you have those in America.

As for price drops. First party Nintendo titles tend to be immune to them if they are popular but if they are not popular they can drop quickly. The issue is sometimes they also have a fairly low print run as well so it can be hard to catch the price drop before its gone completely. Its a gamble basically. That said I remember Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon seemed to have low print run for UK (retail didn't bother with it...okay GAME like had one copy per store in their bigger stores) and its always been around the £20-£25 range new. So hard to tell I'd say. If moneys an issue and its anything like Another Code R, I'm sure a gaffer (or someone on eBay) will be happy to buy the game off you upon completion.

jjasper

Chacranajxy said:
It's usually the easiest way to play games from another reason. I guess I'm not familiar with Wii homebrew stuff, but I'm assuming there's something that makes it a pain in the ass... There usually is with importing for just about any system.

Not really it takes 5 mins.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Chacranajxy said:
It's usually the easiest way to play games from another reason. I guess I'm not familiar with Wii homebrew stuff, but I'm assuming there's something that makes it a pain in the ass... There usually is with importing for just about any system.

Nothing makes Wii Homebrew a pain in the ass. It takes 15 minutes and after that point you can play out of region games with no configuration required. There is essentially no way to spend more than $200 worth of your time setting up home brew in order to justify importing a foreign system.

Aexact said:
Wait what.

Okay, I've dug through the news threads and it's something about some Nintendo rep saying it's coming over (or rather, a guy who runs a 3DS fansite said he asked that question to a rep that said it was coming over) and Sakaguchi himself giving cryptic comments on Twitter?

livewii.fr apparently interviewed Sakaguchi when he was in Paris and he confirmed a EU release.

Danny Dudekisser

Stumpokapow said:
Nothing makes Wii Homebrew a pain in the ass. It takes 15 minutes and after that point you can play out of region games with no configuration required. There is essentially no way to spend more than $200 worth of your time setting up home brew in order to justify importing a foreign system.

Kinda surprising... Thanks for saving me hella cash.

Aaron Strife said:
It already has a goddamn localization

REGGIE
That means squat to NoA, they'd rather do nothing. (See: Another Code R, Last Window, Day of Disaster, Tingle, Jam with the Band, Pikmin 2 NPC, etc.)

Nintendo games getting announced for Europe before North America is now the death knell for those titles.

M-PG71C

@ StarWolf UK

Thanks for answering my question! So GAME will ship it Stateside? That's fine by me, I'm use to paying money out the ass for imports but I've always imported Japanese games. Never had a reason to import European games, well till now anyway.

Come September, I'll buy it, pay the fees, and have shipped via UPS or the like and pay my $100 "Fuck you NOA, thank you NOE" fee. May have to do that with Solartorobo as welll.

See, I like Nintendo, and I'm really starting to like NCL/NOE branches because they actually, you know, RELEASE MOTHERFUCKING GAMES every once in a while. Keep people busy.

Diffense

I'm passing on everything else for Wii.
Importing Xenoblade, buying Zelda:SS, maybe Virtua Tennis, that's it.
And I'm definitely in wait and see mode as far as Wii U is concerned.
Yesterday's web browser is the most action my 3DS has seen in a month.

So.. it's not even coming here? Shit I thought the deal was the name change to Monondo for localization, but instead they're only localizing europe and no USA? So I have to import this? Does it mean I have to mod my Wii>

M-PG71C

DownLikeBCPowder said:
So.. it's not even coming here? Shit I thought the deal was the name change to Monondo for localization, but instead they're only localizing europe and no USA? So I have to import this? Does it mean I have to mod my Wii>

It's not hard to mod it. If a retard like me can do it (Believe me, I'm a retard. I'm still trying to learn how to work MS Excel and I'm a healthcare adminstrator. I'm full of fail) anybody can do it.

I think GAF actually has a good thread on it, but really its all over the internet. :D I had to mod mine to play Zangeki no Regeliv, and before it, Tatsunoko V.S. Capcom back when everyone thought no chance in hell coming Stateside.

linkboy

DownLikeBCPowder said:

Yep, but its so simple a caveman could do it (don't sue me Gieco).

Codeblue said:
I just realized Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem wasn't there either. God damn it.
Damn, I had forgotten about that. Neither NoE nor NoA seems interested in it. Well, it will eventually get a fan translation.

Speaking of missing RPGs, if Wii U rolls out next year, where does DQX fit?

Palette Swap said:
Damn, I had forgotten about that. Neither NoE nor NoA seems interested in it. Well, it will eventually get a fan translation.

Speaking of missing RPGs, if Wii U rolls out next year, where does DQX fit?

Same case as DQMJ2.

Top Bottom