• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nomura Interview on FINAL FANTASY Versus XIII [Development Clarification]

StuBurns

Banned
funkystudent said:
whats its been what.... 6 years?

Square Enix really needs to get there shit sorted.
It started in '03.

Personally I don't think there's anything wrong with spending ten years in pre-production, but it would have been nice if they'd have held off announcing it till it was only a year or two out.

Adr1an

Pre production you got to be kidding me. What the hell have they been doing this whole time, might as well have this game come out with the next generation of consoles with the rate this game is moving at.

Kyoufu

StuBurns said:
It started in '03.

Personally I don't think there's anything wrong with spending ten years in pre-production, but it would have been nice if they'd have held off announcing it till it was only a year or two out.

notsureifserious.jpg

MechaX

Sallokin said:
I honestly wouldn't be shocked if this underwent a name change from Versus XIII to just plain old FF 15 or 16.

To be honest, if they're not even past the pre-production phase at this point, this is actually quite possible later on down the road.

This is absolutely ridiculous. We might have the Second Duke Nukem Forever, guys!

Edit: Thinking about it... This game got announced when I was a senior in high school. I would be lucky to get this game before I finish grad school at this rate.

jimmypython

from finalfantasy.net
This week’s issue of Famitsu makes it official. Final Fantasy XI is currently in the works to be on the PlayStation Vita portable gaming system. Director Hiromichi Tanaka made the announcement, noting that they are assembling staff to work on these projects currently.

original Japanese from FF-reunion:
FF11:田中弘道氏「FF11をPSVへの単純な移植は検討しているが現時点で具体的な計画はない、PS3への移植はハードの特性を生かすような移植は基本的に難しい」

my Japanese is not good,

but

is this real?

NeededSleep

Kagari said:
Nomura replied with an aside that you can take pictures in the game. Noctus has a cell phone, and you can take pics wherever you like.

Game-Breaking-Breakthrough-Breaking-Technology! Screw mentioning other game related information people want to know about taking in game pictures!

Fucking SE i just dont understand this company anymore.

Was there a title change, because the we're still in pre-production was the thing that caught my eye first reading the OP?

Did they like announce the game after someone scribbled the title on a napkin or something? I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

odhiex

bla bla bla... Only Three Screenshots and still in Pre-production... bla bla bla

That's all I need to know...

F U Nomura...

RPGCrazied

Lol. This game is never coming out. It's really a shame, cause its holding back other soon to be projects or so I hope. I want to play it just as much as you guys do, but I also would like to see Kingdom Hearts III before I hit 40. I'm already 34, so I'm guessing that's a no.

Wilsongt

Their first mistake was making a compilation of FFVII. Their next mistake was trying to replicate that same thing with Final Fantasy XIII. Don't announce bullshit like this until you are well into getting close to a semblance of a real project. Fucking Square-Enix.

StuBurns

Banned
At this point, I think 2014 is absolutely likely, which makes me wonder if that team are passing on KH3, the pressure to get that out the door must be immense.

jk-mox

Neo Member
AgentChris said:
Sometimes it seems like Final Fantasy Versus XIII is a big troll.
It certainly feels that way. They'll string us along until they feel like they can't any longer, then reveal the elaborate hoax, and we'll all have a good cry laugh.

Lebron

This is what happens when you give Nomura too much power. His ass needs to be back strictly doing character designs. But noooooooooooooo

KyteTron

Banned
StuBurns said:
At this point, I think 2014 is absolutely likely, which makes me wonder if that team are passing on KH3, the pressure to get that out the door must be immense.

Waste time on a Vita version as well?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
This game was way too high profile to be treated like your typical vaporware.

Very seldom does anything with gestation periods this long live up to expectations, see e.g., Chinese Democracy, Duke Nukem Forever, L.A. Noire, etc. etc.

I'm not even sure how this game relates to XIII.

I'm getting pretty sick of this "Versus Started Development in 2003" meme. One guy says something on GAF and suddenly everyone starts repeating it as fact.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_Versus_XIII#Development

Tetsuya Nomura stated in May 2006 that absolutely nothing had been done on the actual scenario and that the team had yet to start actual work on the game's story. However, he also said that he had the plot worked out for some time in his mind and he was in the process of discussing the plot and concept with his staff.

Source

Perhaps there was some similar project that preceded FFVXIII but it certainly didn't involve Nomura back then according to this quote and wasn't anything more than a rough concept. As of May 2006 all the game had was a protagonist character model, a few spells, and a random enemy design. Moreover from some interviews we also found out that the game didn't begin real development until after 13 was released so begrudging the team for these delays which aren't really delays seems pretty damn unfair. The game has been in development for maybe 2 years at best, not 8.....

List of things Square need to hire more of:

- writers, to make their stories not awful
- editors, to cut out all the shit
- producers, to make sure the projects get done in under 5 years
- budgeters, to make sure they don't take $50 million to make
- artists who aren't Nomura

Averon

In pre-production?! PRE-PRODUCTION!!

Holy hell, SE. Might as well cancel this on the PS3 and move it as a PS4 launch title.

KyteTron

Banned
airmangataosenai said:
I'm getting pretty sick of this "Versus Started Development in 2003" meme. One guy says something on GAF and suddenly everyone starts repeating it as fact.

Perhaps there was some similar project that preceded FFVXIII but it certainly didn't involve Nomura back then according to this quote and wasn't anything more than a rough concept. As of May 2006 all the game had was a protagonist character model, a few spells, and a random enemy design. Moreover from some interviews we also found out that the game didn't begin real development until after 13 was released so begrudging the team for these delays which aren't really delays seems pretty damn unfair. The game has been in development for maybe 2 years at best, not 8.....

It was announced in 2006 and still hasn't entered full production...?

Foffy

Banned
airmangataosenai said:

They shouldn't have announced it when they did then. The timeframe from 2006 to 2011 only to know the game is in pre-production is absolutely infuriating. They shouldn't have bothered to announce it until they had some notable progress on the game.

StuBurns

Banned
airmangataosenai said:

The project began in 2003, if it took them three years to produce a logo, a minute of CG and a pretty song or not. You either take it from when the project began, or you ignore the point of time completely because anything between is a logic free grey area.

daegan

unfathomable. just ignore it ever happened and start plugging it in 18 months under a new name. avoid all the ridiculous expectation that has been shouldered onto the title.

but of course you won't do that. this thing is never going to make a dime.

edit: why do I still open threads about this game? :/

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I am absolutely shocked that the game is still in pre-production. How much money do you think they'll have spent on this game by the time it's done?

MechaX

airmangataosenai said:
oreover from some interviews we also found out that the game didn't begin real development until after 13 was released so begrudging the team for these delays which aren't really delays seems pretty damn unfair. The game has been in development for maybe 2 years at best, not 8.....

Then maybe they should not have announced the game 4+ years before the concept was even barely workable, let alone try to string up the fanbase by showing new trailers and new lengthy "gameplay" trailers before the game had even gone past the full production phase.

Top Bottom