• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nomura Says Final Fantasy VII Remake & Kingdom Hearts IIIs Releases Still A Ways Off

kennyamr

It's def taking longer than expected, mostly because of the FF anniversaries this year.

There is still hope but sad if we don't see these until 2019

notaskwid

I'm waiting

Basically I'm expecting it to take long enough that they just wait the extra few months past Spring 2019 to get it on PS5, and then try to get it out in a reasonable fashion from there.

Mind, I'm not saying they will succeed at that, but I'd expect a target of them launching the first game, and then the other two episodes having a 2-3 year development cycle each, so they can try to get them out prior to PS6.
I want to laugh but you are likely correct here :/

First on PS4? Sorry, we meant just the first part 😂

sanstesy

I expect a director change for FFVIIr at the least. No way they're gonna wait for Nomura's ass, though with SE you never know.

I'm struggling to even care now about FFVII:R. After FFXV I'm figuring this will be a giant pile of vomit all over FFVII.

KH3 I have a little more faith in, but I've never cared as much about KH

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Didn't know that.

So it's free money for Disney if/when it gets released?
Yeah. It's just a licensing deal.

It's also not meaningfully tied to hit film initiatives, so there's less scheduling concern of having at least somewhat frequent content like Star Wars or Marvel.

Ydelnae

The worrying part, for me, is that they are not ready to show unnanounced worlds for KH3 yet. It's probably just PR, but if after 4 years of development they only have two worlds ready to go (and they haven't even shown characters in those worlds, neither cutscenes, just gameplay), I would assume that they are indeed having trouble with the game.

Burbeting

Banned
You mean when it was revealed and everyone thought we would be waiting years for gameplay only to be surprised at the next event? We have no idea how big the first game even is or how much can get reused for the next ones. For all we know the game could be open world.

The gameplay looked about as rough as the KH3 gameplay they showed in 2013 after e3. Battles seemed to be more or less a tech demo in a single arena, not giving that much confidence.

I'm just getting annoyed at Square, and I want to see change in how they market their games.

ethomaz

Banned
Episode One: 2018 for PS4.
Episode Two: 2020 for PS5.
Episode Three: 20.. who am I kidding? Episode Three will never launch.

pislit

Yeah. It's just a licensing deal.

It's also not meaningfully tied to hit film initiatives, so there's less scheduling concern of having at least somewhat frequent content like Star Wars or Marvel.

Licensing costs probably ain't that expensive? SE don't seem on a rush.

Ydelnae

Licensing costs probably ain't that expensive? SE don't seem on a rush.

They are releasing two console titles this year and they have a big update planned for a mobile game that generates revenue. I'm sure they can handle another year without KH3.

13ruce

Banned
"Worlds still untouched" They're not even in alpha yet? After four years? Wat. Seems like KH3 coming in 2017 ain't happening.

When's the last time Nomura did something that was worth a fuck? Maybe they should just fire him and be done with this belts and zippers fetish.

Maybe they should replace him on FF7R with Tabata again lol.

Lmao so after 4 years they don't even finished the worlds yet wtf?

DKHF

The worrying part, for me, is that they are not ready to show unnanounced worlds for KH3 yet. It's probably just PR, but if after 4 years of development they only have two worlds ready to go (and they haven't even shown characters in those worlds, neither cutscenes, just gameplay), I would assume that they are indeed having trouble with the game.
I don't think he means they aren't ready to show any unannounced worlds, just that there are still some unannounced worlds that aren't ready to be shown. I'm sure there will be multiple world announcements this year.

DKHF

"Worlds still untouched" They're not even in alpha yet? After four years? Wat. Seems like KH3 coming in 2017 ain't happening.

When's the last time Nomura did something that was worth a fuck? Maybe they should just fire him and be done with this belts and zippers fetish.

Maybe they should replace him on FF7R with Tabata again lol.
It's more likely he means untouched by PR/trailers yet not that no work has been done on them. They had decided all the worlds as of E3 2015.

Remember when we had crazy people predicting the first part of VII to be released in 2017? Good times.
its honestly pretty sad that even when they are remaking a game they cant have a clear and concise enough vision to get it into a single game, and then even when breaking it into parts cant release it in a timely manner

ar4757

i think KH3 is likely to release this year, given the fact that they are releasing II.8 and 1.5+2.5 HD so close to each other. Obviously Nomura isn't going to say that.

It does seem odd that they put them since close together and then having nothing but I believe him... if there's one thing Nomura likes, it's time

Lucreto

I still expect FFVIIR part 1 to be out this year.

I don't see the point of the event at the end of the month if that's the case.

LAA

Oh well. I was thinking KH3 could just release this year, with FFXV launching last year and both seemingly starting development at the same time, (though KH3 seemed at an earlier point).
That said we are getting ALL the KH's again this year and 2.8 so not like I won't be doing anything KH related in this time. I'm at least intrigued about the possibility of this disc case containing all the discs. Wallet is thankful for not having another collection I'd have to buy again ha ha,

FF7R I was less hopeful of it releasing this year anyway, but it could have been possible with it seemingly being episodic.

Maybe 2018 for both this time? 2019?

It's seemed they've been waiting for 2.8/and possibly 1.5/2.5 to release before releasing news on KH3, feels they've had itchy trigger fingers to release news on it, so hoping they'll blow us away with what they show next

Ydelnae

Nomura also mentions that since timing will be complicated, they won't be releasing a full collection featuring 1.5 + 2.5 + 2.8 later on. Instead, they will offer a case that can hold both collections.

There is no reason to rush 2.8 to this year (or even 2016) and then rush 1.5 +2.5 into Q2 if KH3 is not planned to come out before Q2 2018. If the timing would be complicated to re-release the collections as a full package, I believe that we're getting KH3 pretty soon in 2018.

E-Cat

Can't wait to play those games on PS5
If Remake Part III comes out in 2023 -- and this is being optimistic -- then it'd pretty much have to be a PS5 game, no?

Doing otherwise would be akin to releasing FFXV on PS3 today.

You know, I wonder how much trouble it was to go from KH3D that still held on to the "room" set of building a game(each map isn't one big thing but rather small or large rooms connected by loading screens)to massive open worlds with enemies roaming around and not just spawning upon entering a room.

Nomura also mentions that since timing will be complicated, they won't be releasing a full collection featuring 1.5 + 2.5 + 2.8 later on. Instead, they will offer a case that can hold both collections.

There is no reason to rush 2.8 to this year (or even 2016) and then rush 1.5 +2.5 into Q2 if KH3 is not planned to come out before Q2 2018. If the timing would be complicated to re-release the collections as a full package, I believe that we're getting KH3 pretty soon in 2018.

I'm thinking Q2 2018 for KH III.

Nobody should have expected these games to not have long drawn out dev cycles. Square has a serious issue producing games in a reasonable timeframe.

hichanbis

Banned
Phase 1: Nomura gives interviews "we need more time to be in a position to announce something substantial, please wait a little longer".
Phase 2: He then completely stops to communicate for a few years. Media blackout
Phase 3: Rumors of cancellation emerge
Phase 4: The game re-surfaces and the hype machine is rebooted

You know phase 2 is coming now.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I'm still a little lost as to why S-E would look at vXIII's development hell, move the director off the project, and then give him two AAA JRPG projects to manage immediately afterwards.

Top Bottom