• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Norm Macdonald is getting a podcast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait TBS actually turned down a Norm MacDonald show that would have followed Conan? What the fuck.

225px-Pete_Holmes_performing_at_Meltdown.jpg

Helmholtz

Dude's hilarious. I'll probably check this out. His stuff with Conan was all great: Moth joke, midget joke, andy richter the swedish German etc...

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I hope it's not about sports. I hate sports. I also hate hate how all he ever tweets about is golf. At first I thought it was him being funny, but yeah, that's all he tweets about. Golf.

I want the funny Norm. Not the sports Norm.

But I guess it'll be sports Norm.

strobogo

Banned
Ilove Norm, but can anyone explain what the fuck is up with his Safe Auto ads? Are they supposed to be intentionally awful and we're all in on it? Or is the idea that Norm is clearly screwing Safe Auto out of money by doing terrible commercials? Both of those seem like a Norm kind of thing to do, but it's the one the he's done that I just don't get.

Ilove Norm, but can anyone explain what the fuck is up with his Safe Auto ads? Are they supposed to be intentionally awful and we're all in on it? Or is the idea that Norm is clearly screwing Safe Auto out of money by doing terrible commercials? Both of those seem like a Norm kind of thing to do, but it's the one the he's done that I just don't get.

The magic of Norm

tw1164

The commercials were bad before Norm was in them. They look like a high school film project.

Tom_Cody

There better be an audio-only feed. Visual aspects rarely matter and I like to have audio for going on runs, cleaning the house, doing laundry, etc.
That, and I actually have time to listen to podcasts on my ipod. I never have 1 hour plus of free time to spend sitting in front of my computer.

Anyway, here's the itunes link:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/norm-macdonald-live/id625455951?mt=2&ign-mpt=uo=2
Maybe SlowRevolution can edit it into the opening post.

The first episode hasn't been uploaded yet but you can subscribe. The teaser says that episodes will be posted soon after the live show airs so hopefully it will be up soon.

Tom_Cody

Eh, I'm a huge Norm fan but I'm inclined to think that they're just bad. I'm sure they offered to pay him a lot of money to read their crappy scripts and he accepted.

And yes, I think the Bob Saget roast stuff is great. The Safe Auto ads are just Norm going to work to make money. No one is perfect.

pj

Banned
I don't have kids but I'd wager I am happier now than I would be at the birth of my first born

I subscribed to the podcast in my iOS Podcast app, now I'm just hoping episode 1 is up before I go for a run tonight. This would be great to listen to on my iPod. I'm a huge Norm fan too and this is great news for sure.

fritolay

Norm's sports show was very funny. I like pretty much all his comedy and with all the crap on TV that is not funny, this makes me sad.

That said I never have really used podcasts. So what do I need to do to get this on Android?

Tom_Cody

Norm's sports show was very funny. I like pretty much all his comedy and with all the crap on TV that is not funny, this makes me sad.

That said I never have really used podcasts. So what do I need to do to get this on Android?
Download a podcast app (I use iOS so I can't recommend one), then subscribe to the show's rss subscription feed. This does not seem to exist yet but presumably it will exist at some point (I don't know of any podcasts without rss subscription feeds).

Holy shit how does somebody age so poorly so fast? It's terrifying that tomorrow I could wake up looking ten years older for no fucking reason.

That, and I actually have time to listen to podcasts on my ipod. I never have 1 hour plus of free time to spend sitting in front of my computer.

Anyway, here's the itunes link:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/norm-macdonald-live/id625455951?mt=2&ign-mpt=uo=2
Maybe SlowRevolution can edit it into the opening post.

The first episode hasn't been uploaded yet but you can subscribe. The teaser says that episodes will be posted soon after the live show airs so hopefully it will be up soon.

just added it, thanks.

I haven't checked out the first episode yet and I don't think I've seen Norm on anything for maybe six months/a year, but yeah he hasn't aged well. Better than Artie Lange at least.

edit: watching now, shit he's giving Lange some competition. "I've gained 45 pounds."

I was actually a little disappointed in the show. I'm hoping it is just because they're still finding their groove. Jokes at the end were pretty fun, but overall it needs more Norm being Norm.

It's early though. Will continue to listen for awhile to see if improves.

rezuth

Pretty good for being a first show of a podcast tbh but fucking hell.... Norm just looks like a fucking wreck, that shit was depressing.

Is this the Super Dave show or the Norm show?

Any why the fuck is Super Dave so god damn angry?
I would be having more fun listening if he looked/sounded like he was having fun.

akira28

Wait TBS actually turned down a Norm MacDonald show that would have followed Conan? What the fuck.

TBS was never smart. Just in a strategically hard to reach spot. They probably went against their code when they went for Conan.

Norm making bad things legendarily bad is just one of his routines. Remember his 'note to self' gag, with the tape recorder? So bad. So good.

Tom_Cody

TBS was never smart. Just in a strategically hard to reach spot. They probably went against their code when they went for Conan.

Norm making bad things legendarily bad is just one of his routines. Remember his 'note to self' gag, with the tape recorder? So bad. So good.
Can you elaborate? This is an interesting topic.

Dali

Is "getting a podcast" really an announcement or the proper verbiage. I mean any dumb ass with a microphone can do podcast. It's not like a TV show or anything.

akira28

Can you elaborate? This is an interesting topic.

Well, recalling the TV arc of Turner Broadcasting System, they used to be a shitty cable channel that played old syndication shows and movies. Then they started showing more current re-runs, like Seinfeld instead of Gilligan's Island. They had a few unique items, but their main competition was still shitty UHF television or slightly better bad cable tv channels like TNT...also a Turner property. They always seemed to have a good channel location, as far as cable services were concerned. Either really low on the dial, or really high, so as to be closer to the Prime Time channels. And also including themselves in a lot of basic cable packages also kept them afloat.

At some point Turner decided to put some money into the channel to make it more relevant, so they got even more aggressive, buying up syndication rights to more recent shows, then they started testing the talk show market with George Lopez and eventually Conan. Both were obvious experiments, but Conan was the more successful one.

fritolay

Norm is the best person to come out of SNL in the last 20 years.

Yeah it is too bad about the who OJ incident caused harm to his career. I still don't understand how his bad luck with shows afterwards. And why not more movies? Maybe he is good in short bursts.

the chris

Yeah it is too bad about the who OJ incident caused harm to his career. I still don't understand how his bad luck with shows afterwards. And why not more movies? Maybe he is good in short bursts.

While I love Norm's comedy, it really is not everyone's cup of tea. I would imagine trying to market any starring vehicle with him is pretty hard work.

akira28

While I love Norm's comedy, it really is not everyone's cup of tea. I would imagine trying to market any starring vehicle with him is pretty hard work.

No you just have to know how to use him. Of course, coincidentally, Hollywood doesn't seem to know how to use MOST of their potential stars. Dude can do deadpan and troll comedy like few others.

I hope it's not about sports. I hate sports. I also hate hate how all he ever tweets about is golf. At first I thought it was him being funny, but yeah, that's all he tweets about. Golf.

I want the funny Norm. Not the sports Norm.

But I guess it'll be sports Norm.
I read this all in Abed's voice.

I hope this is not the first time that you got this response.

Whaaaat?

He looks like Razor Ramone.
Scott Hall is Razor Ramon.

pj

Banned
Is this the Super Dave show or the Norm show?

Any why the fuck is Super Dave so god damn angry?
I would be having more fun listening if he looked/sounded like he was having fun.

Are you joking? That's his character. Why do you think norm was cracking up every time he said something mean?

I do agree that norm is more interested in letting his friends talk than being the host of the show.

Listened to the podcast this morning. I think Norm is hysterical, and Super Dave is great on Curb and pretty funny here, but this show sorta fell flat. I'll chalk it up to them just getting their stride, but the part that worries me is there was literally 0 structure to the whole thing. I felt like the producers were just like - OK, you three sit in a room and talk about stuff, and if you run out of stuff to talk about here are some news topics to give you some ideas. If they introduced a little planning to the whole thing (just a little, Norm is best when he improvs) I think it could be much better. I'll give it a few more episodes.

Also, as funny as Super Dave is, he dominated the show in a bad way. He just never shuts up. And Norm's sidekick was terrible. Again, it could just be a case of feeling out the show, so I'll keep listening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom