• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

North American Nintendo Switch Lineup

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
This! ^

People forget so easily.

Not to say I disagree, but...should we treat the Switch's launch in a vacuum just because they're Nintendo?

They've had little to no WiiU output in the last 3-6 months, if not longer, and the hope was that they were prepping...well, more than this.

Zelda's great, sure, probably the killer app the Switch needed to not be DoA (and probably part of why it was delayed, tbh), but you need more than one game to sell to anyone who's not a diehard.

And Ninty have been losing diehards throughout the Wii and WiiU's lifespan.

Opa-Pa

Not the strongest lineup indeed, but hey I thought the Wii U was terrible too so I wasn't expecting much. No way I'll afford one anytime soon and there are many future games I want so I'm okay with this.

wildfire

Banned
What a garbage lineup. I was always getting Zelda at launch but I can't believe the launch is this poor for any platform. Without counting LoZ, even the Ouya was slightly more compelling than this.

PS4 and XBone lineups were weak too. Although we may not have heard everything yet.

PS4 and Bone marked the start of a new generation. Switch is launching 3 years later.

It's not fair to Nintendo to compare the Switch launch lineup with the current PS4/Bone libraries after 3 years but that's the comparison actual shoppers will be making when they are picking a console to buy. And Nintendo is going to get reamed in any such comparison.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Ps4's launch titles were shit as well but at the very least they had two first party titles that were pretty hype before release (Knack and Shadow Falls, Resogun as well but I won't count it). This literally only has has 1, 2 Switch cause Zelda is also a Wii U title.

Presentation talked shit all about downloadable/indies/virtual console.

Shit means a lot especially in the West. Tons of people play download only titles on all platforms. Hell you could argue Resogun was the best PS4 launch game.

Yet we got jack info wise on this front so far.

Software lineups mean fuck all without including downloadables these days.

Reallink

When you consider Zelda isn't really a launch game (not exclusive, long announced, oft delayed Wii U game they've been sitting on to port to move new hardware) this is arguably the worst major console or portable launch line up of all time.

ViciousDS

Banned
PS4 and XB1 also had BF4, CoD: Ghosts, Madden 25, NBA 2k14, FIFA 14, AC: Black Flag off the top of my head. Also PS4 had Killzone and Knack. XB1 also had Killer Instinct and Forxa 5. Those were pretty good launch titles.

X1 also had ryse, and dead rising 3.

The WiiUs launch overall wasn't even this bad. It had great variety and stuff despite the ports.

This time they barely even have ports let alone launch exclusives. 1,2 switch is the only exclusive on that list really.

I'll die if WiiU Zelda sells more than the switch

Switch launch lineup is arguably one of the worst in the history of gaming.......N64 with just pilot wings and Mario was infinitely better. It's pathetic

Zelda Wii U is gonna be about $300 better.
Unless Zelda herself comes out of the TV and gives me a blowjob it isn't worth $300 more.
I wonder how many people realize WiiU isn't getting Zelda in March and by the time it does we will have the second wave of first party NIntendo releases like Mario Kart and ARMS.
Arms doesn't appeal to me and I can play Mario Kart 8 and the superior Mario Kart 64 on my WiiU right now for no additional cost than what I have already given Nintendo.

v1lla21

Zelda only which is okay. I normally just buy one game for every console at launch. Zelda is enough to hold me until arms comes out

They couldn't even get their own game Arms ready for launch?!

E3 with just Zelda only worked because we expected a lot more of those game things in the future, Nintendo.

UberTag

This! ^

People forget so easily.
We all remember PS4's paltry launch lineup. Thing is... they didn't need a good one given they had already won the mindshare battle with the public and third-parties.

Nintendo has neither of these going for it.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Really disappointed Mario Kart won't be out till the end of April. Oh well.

Also, for people saying this is the worst launch line up, they do realize the N64 launched with only 2 games total, right?

Poona

Rayman Legends on launch? What?

Thought there was another Rayman/Mario/Rabbids game that was coming out soon instead.

For me:

- The Legend of Zelda: BotW
- Just Dance 2017
- Super Bomberman R
- Disgaea 5 Complete
- Rayman Legends

Maaaaaaaaaaybe Has Been Heroes, Steep and Puyo Puyo Tetris at a later date.

Boke1879

I mean the Switch will sell out at launch. Your scalpers and your die hard fans will buy it.

But right now I can see it on twitter and even here among Nintendo fans. Perception right now isn't good. And I'm still not sold on the 3rd party support. EA is only committing to FIFA. No Mass Effect, no Battlefield etc. like someone said. Not even a sports title at launch.

Why in the hell is Skyrim launching in the fall? This is why you shouldn't be stingy with dev kits. This is why you don't announce so soon because no one is ready. 3 months isn't any time at all.

Lynd7

Thats just day 1. I imagine they are planning a slow but steady supply of titles for the whole year. Also, I assume more third party games will trickle out as well.

I am expecting Yooka-Laylee for one.

Bishop89

Looks like a weak lineup to me honestly.

I would imagine the AUS lineup would be way worse.

If I were to get it, it would be during holiday period when some heavy hitters release
(Zelda means nothing to me)

Mory Dunz

So where's Mario Rabbids?

and who is developing Arms.

Japan site has Xenoblade listed as 2017 for them which I don't believe.

What is Retro doing. (hopefully not arms)

Wonder if montster hunter XX will come.

Zelda GOTY

these are my thoughts.

I was honestly stunned to see they expect you to buy 1, 2 Switch separately. Game has pack-in written all over it; it's Wii Sports/Nintendo Land all over again.

AgeEighty

We all remember PS4's paltry launch lineup. Thing is... they didn't need a good one given they had already won the mindshare battle with the public and third-parties.

Nintendo has neither of these going for it.

I agree that Sony coasted on their reputation and that they had that luxury. That doesn't mean Nintendo can just wave a wand and have more games ready at launch.

Anyway, I thought the third party showing was actually better than I was expecting and I'm thinking they'll win some more appeal on that score.

As excited as I am for the Switch.....that day one lineup aint all that hot, I gotta' admit.

Still, I see three or four games there I'll buy at launch. I'm much more excited for the games coming later.

Arzehn

Damn, pretty sure every game there is on another system except 1, 2 Switch... and maybe Bomberman?

Disappointing for sure, probably not buying anytime soon.

daTRUballin

Really disappointed Mario Kart won't be out till the end of April. Oh well.

Also, for people saying this is the worst launch line up, they do realize the N64 launched with only 2 games total, right?

This.

I don't understand all the hyperbole. There have been worse Nintendo console launches.

Megatron

That's an ABYSMAL launch lineup.

I'd argue every single other Nintendo system has had a better launch.

You'd be wrong. N64 was just Mario and pilot wings.

Wiiu was just awful.
3ds was Nintendo game and pilot wings and steel divers.
Do was just a port of Mario 64.

Sapientas

Cross posting from the Japanese Line Up thread:

If the Switch is supposed to be a hybrid and combine Nintendo's portable and console systems, why is it being treated like just another console? Why is this launch line-up so horrible? It's just like the Wii U.... old ports of niche games with Zelda in there.

How can they not have more games ready for this? At the very least they should had Arms and Mario Kart 8 at launch. Where are the "portable" games that should migrate the 3DS userbase?

vivekTO

I think the pricing is right atleast for the launch window , People wil buy it in droves and this will be sellout for the rest of the year.
Also don't know why some of you are upset with launch lineup. It is releasing with Goty(Almost certain) and is far better than 10 superficial games and content filler. Looking forward to the holiday this year.

Top Bottom