• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

North West Studio (England, VR, probably UE4) - Sony's new 1st Party Studio

GeoramA

Good news. Pixel Opus came out of nowhere last year just before E3, now this studio.

Dedicated studios + indies will ensure Morpheus has a nice long life span.

ChuckNyce

tumblr_mtrty9S2y31rue873o1_500.png

First thing that popped into my head

I really hope it's this. It makes sense being back in Liverpool and WipEout is perfect for VR. They managed (dynamic) 1080p 60fps on PS3 in the early days, PS4 doing 1080 at 120hz native for Morpheus would be I think one of the killer apps for VR

Keep your expectations in check. There's no way Sony can make a PS4 game run in VR on the Morpheus at 120fps at high IQ.

There's also nothing to indicate this new studio is working on WipeOut. If they are, that's great, but dreaming of a 120fps Morpheus PS4 WipeOut game is setting yourself up for a huge disappointment.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
So they closed down vita studios and open up studio for morpheus games...nice strategy.

I thought Sony was broke and had terrible credit. Was not expecting a new studio being opened up so suddenly. Good shit.

To be truthful, I'd rather something out-the-box for their new VR add-on. I'd rather Evo scale DC down and repurpose it rather then get another high-profile racer, even if that does mean waiting longer for Wipeouts return.

Would not surprise me if this is where Studio Liverpool used to be. I think the XDEV studio is still in that building IIRC.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking as well. They still have a campus in Liverpool, as that's where XDEV, their cert team and a few other teams are based.

Keep your expectations in check. There's no way Sony can make a PS4 game run in VR on the Morpheus at 120fps at high IQ.
Of course they can. It's all about using the available power appropriately. Simplify the graphics and it's no problem, especially given with VR, presence is the name of the game.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I think North West is just another name for the amalgamation of Evolution/Liverpool/BigBig etc. that are/were up there. I don't think it's a new thing.

Oooo, interesting.

FWIW this is probably not a Liverpool thing. I would have heard about it. It might well be something in Cheshire or Manchester, though.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Assuming you are right, have they ever made anything since the amalgamation?

Drive Club? I mean Evo still has its name, Evo, but in job ads or whether I think I've seen theirs filed under 'North West'. BigBig was merged into Evo, and then the remains of Liverpool and Evo seem to be managed as one collective, this one.

Fake edit - from an article about Studio Liverpool:

n 2010, Sony announced that the group would be forced to close down certain projects to focus on more profitable ventures. 'It has been decided that production on a number of projects within Studio Liverpool will cease immediately due to project prioritisation' the company announced in January 2010. 'This decision will have no impact of the role that the North West Studio Group will play in the future of all PlayStation platforms.'

It's just the name for the group of studios/departments located up there. SCE Xdev (management of external development, 'second party' stuff) is up there too I think.

From that ad I think it could be pretty reasonable to conclude that Evolution is working on a VR title. Which wouldn't be a huge surprise, given that a department within Evo was quite heavily involved in VR & Morpheus research for SCE.

Cool that this is a separate studio now. They've said Sony UK teams have been experimenting with VR quite a bit in London. They must have broken it off into it's own thing.
I have a chum working at Sony London and he said that's basically all they've been doing for a few years now (before that he worked on Wonderbook and before that EyePet so I think they're sort of the "new gimmick" studio.)

thelastword

Banned
The more studios working on games the better. It seems Sony isn't leaving any tables unturned for it's Morpheus launch. It's one of the events I'm looking forward to most in 2016.

void_if_removed

Neo Member
From that ad I think it could be pretty reasonable to conclude that Evolution is working on a VR title. Which wouldn't be a huge surprise, given that a department within Evo was quite heavily involved in VR & Morpheus research for SCE.

The surprise would be in advertising new positions straight after making half the studio redundant.

Javin98

Banned
Can't wait for some VR magic from this studio. Hopefully, Project Morpheus will have some amazing games next year.

Of course they can. It's all about using the available power appropriately. Simplify the graphics and it's no problem, especially given with VR, presence is the name of the game.

That's what I meant by "good IQ."

The way people bitch about how games look on the PS4 and XB1 already and you think they'll be happy with a simpler looking game?

I think North West is just another name for the amalgamation of Evolution/Liverpool/BigBig etc. that are/were up there. I don't think it's a new thing.
Then why does it say "An exciting and rar opportunity to join an ambitious new studio" in the job posting?

Javin98

Banned

The way people bitch about how games look on the PS4 and XB1 already and you think they'll be happy with a simpler looking game?
I don't care if I have to play a game with PS3 level visuals on Project Morpheus (but with good AA, jaggies will ruin the experience). The experience of VR alone is enough to keep me interested.

Once they've tried vr I think most people will be happy with ps3 level visuals. Vr is more about the feeling of being in a 3d space than quality of graphics.

Danlord

There's also nothing to indicate this new studio is working on WipeOut. If they are, that's great, but dreaming of a 120fps Morpheus PS4 WipeOut game is setting yourself up for a huge disappointment.

It's a possibility if they keep similar level of detail they had with WipEout HD on PS3. Swap in some modern rendering tech like PBR to enhance the overall look of everything with minimal hit to performance, and getting that at 120 would not be too far fetched. Even still, they could be using Sony's reprojection technology to improve to 120hz from the solid 60. I'd be happy with that.

Once they've tried vr I think most people will be happy with ps3 level visuals. Vr is more about the feeling of being in a 3d space than quality of graphics.

That's my thought pattern too, VR is a different type of experience that even with moderate graphics and aesthetic design it would be incredibly enjoyable. It might not work as well with lower quality visuals if played traditionally on a large screen TV, but the immersive quality of VR alone will be enough for many.

EvB

I have a chum working at Sony London and he said that's basically all they've been doing for a few years now (before that he worked on Wonderbook and before that EyePet so I think they're sort of the "new gimmick" studio.)

Yeah that's exactly what they do, hence why they designed eyetoy, singstar before going on to do Eyepet, Wonderbook and The Playroom.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Then why does it say "An exciting and rar opportunity to join an ambitious new studio" in the job posting?

Ah, I missed that bit! Then yes, it rather sounds like something new/distinct, although I imagine they'll be called something different from 'North West Studio', while falling under that umbrella group.

Alo0oy

Banned

I don't think anybody in his right mind would bitch about how inFamous, Killzone, & DriveClub look, they look as good as any high end PC game, people are bitching about the third party games that don't look that good & still have terrible framerate & IQ (& sometimes not even hit 1080p for some reason).

Top Bottom