• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Not buying a Switch for my kid till QA impoves

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Like the OP, my left Joycon latch is chipped too, so when you push on it when it's attached to the screen, it will detach without pressing the release button. It's kinda sucks, but it's still functional.

That was totaly overblown by the press as always.Those kind of stories get more clicks because it makes people angry. If the left joyc con was so porrly designed I would not be able to use it in another room.

I had to fix mine and it's still not perfect, the flaw is building the antenna into the motherboard right next to the metal casing of the analog stick, that is not smart.

Made worse when you hold it.

Boss Man

The Nintendo Switch is very durable. It's the most durable, really. Fake news. Sad! Buy the Nintendo Switch(tm) today.

Zakalwe

Banned
I carry my Switch with me pretty much everywhere and use it very often and it's in perfect condition still.

After reading some complaints about the quality of the hardware, I was surprised at how solid and premium it actually feels (dock aside, of course).

kunonabi

Yeah, the QA issues are one of the 4 main reasons im waiting on a Switch. There is no way im buying something that ugly if there is a chance that im going to run into those sorts of QA problems too.

Some of y'all coming in here and being condescending to the OP are wild AF. I wonder if we'll hear about a new model this year, I don't necessarily mean like a slim I just mean a new model with better parts

What? The console just came out this year...why would they do this? Speaking of wild AF.

Yukinari

Just got my switch today. My only gripe is that the wifi is horrendous.

I thought I was gonna have warping issues with how often mine is docked, but nothing so far *knocks on wood*

My only gripe is the WiFi is fucking horrible. I can't even move 25 feet from the router or it drops signal. I don't have this issue on my Galaxy Note or my moms Kindle.

Yep the lag is so noticeable online its not even funny. Im right next to my router too AND using a better connection type than my Wii U was using.

Some nice, solid bait

Mmm, tasty

I kind of like these threads, this page alone has made my ignore list grow by two members. Saves a lot of hassle when I just put them on ignore, no point in arguing with trolls...

People with wifi issues, have you tried to start the Switch again? It fixes at least some wifi issues, but maybe won't help with you. I think it's the brainwashing waves that government uses that are affecting your signal...

spekkeh

Banned
Any less premium than an iPad?

I don't know what everyone is doing to their Switches because I've had absolutely no major problems with mine.
No, but I would not give a brand new iPad pro to my toddler (and then walk away). I gave him an old battered mini. Other solution is putting a large plastic case around it. That's what Switch needs probably to make it more kids proof.

brian577

Banned
Cuningas de Häme;237477918 said:
This. You shouldn't put a glass screen in a device that is used by kids. They drop shit all the time (sometimes literally).

What kind of argument is that? We can't have quality products because children are stupid?

Business

The only thing that really sucks for me is the wifi. I don't have signal 8 meters away from my router, where I have 0 issues and perfect signal with every other device.

Yep the lag is so noticeable online its not even funny. Im right next to my router too AND using a better connection type than my Wii U was using.

Wondering if the USB ethernet adapter makes it better. WiFi suuuuuuuucks for online gaming. Or even just downloading off the eShop.

JessePJ

Neo Member
The stand thing on the back of my switch is loose and won't stay closed. Any easy fix/solution for this? I only use my switch as a handheld device so it's very annoying.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
I've manhandled my Switch so much just jamming it into the dock, no issues yet. Got it a week after launch.

Neff

Not a single issue with mine, still working perfectly. No scratches, no de-syncs, no wifi disconnects. Can't complain at all.

I don't have any issues other then the shit wifi, then again I moleskinned my dock and got a glass screen protector because of all the threads on Gaf freaking me out lol.

Cuburt

the drop test video I watched says otherwise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqMgv9hHmrY

look at that shit

also it wasn't even dead when they thought it was

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSRB2XXp6h0

Yeah the thing is very durable from all the videos I've seen at launch.

For all the complaints about screen scratching, the plastic screens make it way more durable for drops than glass would ever be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJP6gERPmMk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYgeTGHKraM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBVyF0I2Ruo

How is this supposed to be fragile?

benson827

Banned
Quality of the system and the overall thickness is a plus. I mean you drop an iPad it's a goner.

Inb4 iPads arent gaming systems meant for kids. Guess this is a good thing though, not enough switches to go around as it is. Should be left to people who can take care of their systems until the eventual clamshell redesign that'll eventually pop up

My black joycons have scratches on them and I've had my Switch for barely 24 hours. No drops or anything, no idea what made them happen.

Really disappointed with the overly soft material used in the joycons. They scratch for no reason.

big_z

looking at a tear down it seems the systems wifi antenna is surrounded by metal similar to the issue with the joycons. you'd think for a system where wireless communication is a big part of the design Nintendo would have done a better job on that aspect.

I can see a silent fix being done by punching out the back plate on newer models around the antenna.

trixx

Got joy con issues (manufacturing defect) and perhaps a bent dock. Do I kinda agree.

I would get my own soon when there's a new model or manufacturing improves because my lil bros like to play portable mode. Personally I'd leave it on the dock majority of the time.

Acinixys

Actually told someone to wait as well. Love the thing but have no long term confidence after looking at their kid's 3 year old DS and countless iPad screen replacements.

They need a case like this lol...
3683394_fpx.tif

The hole at the bottom is for a dick right?

3 points of contact for maximum stability

The plastic screen is not only great for the Switch, I wouldn't mind if cell phones went to this design (something more elegant than just slapping on a protector but same idea like maybe a user replaceable "outer" screen made of glass). The combination of plastic screen and glass screen protector gives all the benefits of the glass without the drawbacks of screen cracking. It actually seems to be the superior setup.

KrawlMan

The mental gimnastics that some people do to justify that a cheap plastic screen which can get scratched by its own dock is better than a cristal one still blows my mind.

Did people make claims like this about Vita as well? Also a plastic screen, and a damn good device overall.

There are advantages to both screen types, and not having spider cracks sprawl across the screen when dropping is a big advantage of plastic. No mental gymnastics required.

How about buzzing 3.5 mm headphone jack both in and out of the dock. Just irritating that they missed the mark on so many "little things. "

Top Bottom