• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Not even Wake-Up Club can save the Vita

Eric C

OK this made me laugh

"The Most Insane Handheld
Gaming Experience Ever."

8fABqgG.png

But, don't die yet Vita.

I still want to buy a Vita someday, if I didn't spend my money on a Wii U this past holiday season I would've got a Vita instead.

I've been waiting to buy a Vita, kind of hoping Sony would eventually release 64, and 128 GB memory cards at drastically reduced prices, or at least make a new model of Vita that supported SD cards. Or more realistically a new revision that has TV output, and PS3 controller support... at least PS3 controller support for PS1 and PSP games.

Celine

While a factual statement, the sales of such games would be similar on either system. The size of an installed base is not a limiting factor when you're aiming to sell around 50k or less to a very specific audience.
No, sales will be depend on the size of the active userbase that is interested in a specific niche.
Looks how psp wasn't a viable platform for many years in us prior to vita release.
A big game like type-0 didn't even got localized.

Seeing how vita is tanking and interest in it is low is unlikely that publisher, even focused on a niche like xseed, will support the platform after the Sony will discontinue it.

Also xseed localize japanese games, vita isnt exactly getting many games from japanese developers.

zroid

Banned
If Wake Up Club had a retail release, it totally would have saved the Vita

No, sales will be depend on the size of the active userbase that is interested in a specific niche.
Looks how psp wasn't a viable platform for many years in us prior to vita release.
A big game like type-0 didn't even got localized.

Seeing how vita is tanking and interest in it is low is unlikely that publisher, even focused on a niche like xseed, will support the platform after the Sony will discontinue it.

Right but Type-0 is a much more expensive game to localize and publish by Square Enix than a different game might be by, for example, Xseed. Sony won't keep the platform alive solely for tiny publishers (obviously!), but I think my original point is that the existing (highly dedicated) userbase of the Vita is enough to support games that super-niche publishers can release.

They will continue to release whatever games they can till the day Sony cuts the thread.

After reading this entire thread I don't know what to say. I have both a 3ds and vita. Both have their uses and games. I would hate to see the Vita die so soon as it has so much potential. I was a bit confused after E3 last year where the vita got snubbed from the spotlight for things like wonder book.

Kyon

Banned
After reading this entire thread I don't know what to say. I have both a 3ds and vita. Both have their uses and games. I would hate to see the Vita die so soon as it has so much potential. I was a bit confused after E3 last year where the vita got snubbed from the spotlight for things like wonder book.

All true. But when's the last time E3 MATTERED. Gamescom and TGS was always where it's at. ;) both those conferences showed Sony know the Vita exists somewhere in this planet RIP.

All true. But when's the last time E3 MATTERED. Gamescom and TGS was always where it's at. ;) both those conferences showed Sony know the Vita exists somewhere in this planet RIP.

I thought TGS was embarrassing for the Vita as well. The support amounted to a God Eater port and a Gundam game that made the camera man fall asleep. Gamescom was impressive and unexpected for me. Tearaway looks like a killer app if they don't market it like PSASBR.

TGS has been a non event in the past few years and last year's sony tgs vita conf. was terrible

bon

What an amazingly considered comparison.

The Lynx was very impressive tech compared to the Gameboy and it had a lot of potential, but sold poorly due to its high price and lack of compelling software.

Would you prefer "the 21st century's version of the Game Gear?" That might be too generous since the GG managed to sell 11 million.

Part of that has to do w/ SCEA just isn't as big as pushing handhelds compared to SCEJ/SCEE. I pretty much guarantee they know that finding a way to sell Vita in NA is harder (due to smartphones and the only market who really buys them at mass market are the younger audience). However, since SCEJ released it, they had to release it in the states.

I agree. As a long time gamers I hate to admit it but I have never followered Gamescom and TGS all that much.

I am praying to all of the gamegods that Pokemon will be the miracle cure for the 3DS in the West. Two Mario games and a series of "casual" games have already failed to really ignite the system's popularity outside Japan. If Pokemon can't do it, I think we can officially hammer that final nail in.

Also: I might need to start seriously thinking about learning Japanese.
Isn't the 3DS performing roughly on par with the GBA in the west?

leroidys

Vita's abysmal hardware numbers aside...

I bet most of the existing vita owners are hardcore gamers, who are either going to A) buy a lot of games digitally or B) get the vast majority of their games cheaper online. Compounded with the low install base, I'm sure vita software does really, really poorly in places like walmart and target.

Isn't the 3DS performing roughly on par with the GBA in the west?

Well they killed the GBA after three years in the west. And what a glorious three years they were :(

Moonlight

Banned
Gamescom, I could understand (although there was only one Vita title announced there I'm looking forward to), but TGS? I don't even think they made a single actual Vita announcement there. If they did, it certainly wasn't anything worthwhile, otherwise I'd have recalled.

Kyon

Banned
Gamescom, I could understand (although there was only one Vita title announced there I'm looking forward to), but TGS? I don't even think they made a single actual Vita announcement there. If they did, it certainly wasn't anything worthwhile, otherwise I'd have recalled.

LOL it's ok tho ill list them

Muramasa
Valhalla Knights 3
Senran Kagura
God Eater 2
Toukiden
Gundam

Just listing the vita announcements you can judge on your own.

The gaming section at Wal-Mart isn't properly managed. My local store is still trying to pass off some GameCube games for $40ish. It isn't really the place to buy games.

Target on the other hand has a very good selection of vita games and they at least seem to be selling.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
A person from Naughty Dog once posted in GAF that his studio isn't interested in making anything for VITA, and this in response to a statement from Sony where it stated that its own developers are working hard for the platform.

Now, if the situation already to the point where your own 1st party developer admitting as well as refuting its own parent's company statements in public, then you know you have a problem. I mean, for your own 1st party developer to nonchalantly rebuke stuff in that kind of way? What kind of culture Sony is trying to cultivate across its developers?

No wonder VITA is in trouble.

Kyon

Banned
Naughty Dog have better things to do like focus on PS4 lol don't really think ppl should expect anything from them. Also i cant wait to see what Media Molecule has done with Tearaway :3

Moonlight

Banned
LOL it's ok tho ill list them

Muramasa
Valhalla Knights 3
Senran Kagura
God Eater 2
Toukiden
Gundam

Just listing the vita announcements you can judge on your own.
Oburomuramasa is an up-port with a low chance for localization, Valhalla Knights has an aggressively mediocre reputation, Senran Kagura is... well, uh. It speaks for itself, and it's not the sort of game I would be interested in. I'm sure it has its' audience, though. God Eater 2 and Toukiden are both going to be available on PSP as well (thus cannibalize potential sales on Vita), and they literally turned the screen off when they showed off Gundam. I don't think there could possibly be a less exciting way to unveil a title.

To be honest, I wouldn't call any of these real proof that Sony is being proactive about the Vita's software line-up. And none of them scream 'major system seller' to me. I just think Sony needs to take software on the Vita more seriously.

All I really want is a Project Diva localization.

Hanmik

So know we have seen US and Japan store photos.. any one from Europe that can take some pictures in the biggest stores in Europe..? Europe is known to be Sony land, but somehow I doubt that Vita games are in the stores ..

My local Tesco in Northern Ireland still has some PSP games mixed in with PSVita. And I counted less than 10 games the last time I looked. 10 physical games, not different titles.

And this is a huge Tesco, not some local express store.

deim0s

Interesting tidbit, from the-magicbox:

Famitsu has released the result of a recent poll, about what systems people plan to buy in Japan this year, participant can pick multiple systems; the result shows that 64% of Japanese plans to buy PS Vita this year, followed by 48% for 3DS and 33.8% for Wii U; 10% of people also picked smartphone (other than iPhone). 75.6% of participants were male and 24.4% were female.

PS Vita - 64.0%
3DS - 48.2%
Wii U - 33.8%
PS3 - 25.2%
PC - 14.4%
Xbox 360 - 10.6%
Smartphone - 10.0%
PSP - 9.6%
Wii - 9.0%
iPad - 7.0%
DSi/DSiLL - 5.2%
iPhone - 5.0%
iPod Touch - 4.0%
Other - 2.4%

fritolay

The gaming section at Wal-Mart isn't properly managed. My local store is still trying to pass off some GameCube games for $40ish. It isn't really the place to buy games.

Target on the other hand has a very good selection of vita games and they at least seem to be selling.

That doesn't matter. Wal-Mart moves a ton of volume. If Vita is getting kicked out of shelf space and maybe even stores it is not good for Sony.

flawfuls

Well they "plan" to buy but on what condition? Do they plan to buy it anyay, or if this particular game go out, or ...

It's difficult to analyze this kind of poll but, it gives hope anyway.

There is no information whatsoever you can extrapolate from this poll. I love how people always take some random poll from a Japanese website or magazine and pretend it somehow represents the entire country in some way, but statistics doesn't work that way. I think most people know this, but some people clearly don't and it kills me every time I see them make that assumption.

Also see: that final fantasy character popularity poll thread

madmackem

Im starting to wish i jumped on the prices this holiday in the uk £150 with a game and memory card was a good deal given its nowt back up to £217. Drop the price sony.

Im starting to wish i jumped on the prices this holiday in the uk £150 with a game and memory card was a good deal given its nowt back up to £217. Drop the price sony.

Yeah this is rather stupid - they had great prices on holidays which finally moved some units and now they are back to day 1 pricing with 1 game bundled.

Bumhead

Banned

I'm 100% certain you'll get an even cheaper deal at some point in the next 11 months.

dan2026

So know we have seen US and Japan store photos.. any one from Europe that can take some pictures in the biggest stores in Europe..? Europe is known to be Sony land, but somehow I doubt that Vita games are in the stores ..

They aren't at least here in the UK.
Vita gets sweet fuck all shelf space.

3DS gets loads

QaaQer

That doesn't matter. Wal-Mart moves a ton of volume. If Vita is getting kicked out of shelf space and maybe even stores it is not good for Sony.

Not every demo buys everything from wally. For gaming stuff, on the surface it looks bad.

But Walmart doesnt sell PC games or Steam cards, but that segment seems to be doing OK.

Despite the 100%-I-Know-I-AM-Right posters on Gaf, the only people who know EXACTLY how the vita is doing, are the people making the vita games and the vita hardware. And they aren't talking.

It is possible that the Vita is worth it for Sony now, because all the R&D has been done, and the marketing dollars spent. So as long as the hardware is being sold at or near profit, there is no reason to not keep making it. As far as games go, it is also possible that the install base of the Vita is a very very desirable one for game makers: the enthusiast audience that doesn't mind spending $40 on a game.

As consumers, all we know is the price of the unit, the games available, and what has been announced for the future. But of course that wont stop the peanut gallery cat calls of "It's dead, LOL!!!!' 'Haha, sony, You stupid fucks!!!!' etc.

PS Vita was awesome when I had it, the games though man, they were too fucking expensive thus I never bought any, and then returned it on 29 days for a full refund.

That and the locked up OS Sony had on there turned me off big time.

Really like Wipeout though.

QaaQer

Those are some pretty fucking grim graphs, dude.

Yikes.

I know, right.

The big problem is Japan doesn't welcome immigrants. Immigrants, despite what David Cameron and Paul Ryan say, are vital for mature post industrial economies whose birth rates are falling.

the other problem with Japan is they are so sexist, they have excluded most women from full participation in the workforce.

So not only are their demographics bad, they have reduced their potential workforce for no reason beyond prejudice. Not only do fewer women per capita work in Japan than most other OECD countries, 61% of those who do are in clerical positions. And I forget the stat, but the majority of women are also relegated to temp work.

But whatever, if as a culture, they don't want foreigners and want to keep their women quiet and in the kitchen, if nothing else, it will provide a useful lesson for the rest of the world.

M-PG71C

Besides Ragnarok Odyssey, Lumines, Wipeout, and Ridge Racer, there's not much I could want on the system. Right now, I'm watching those games and buying them when they get cheap/reasonable. And when the system finally drops in price/dies in retail, I'll buy one then.

Pretty harsh strategy I admit but when its not doing well, its only a matter of time. Till then, I'll be buying games for it on the cheap end and waiting for the hardware to drop.

I did see this at Walmart though. The games are being clearance out, I thought about picking up Dynasty Warriors for $20. No systems though, and they said they won't be restocking.

But that's purely anecdotal though.

Top Bottom