• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Not even Wake-Up Club can save the Vita

Rootbeer

Banned
Vita devotee till the bitter end :( I will be getting Sly (PS3 cross-buy), soul sacrifice, dragon's crown, tearaway, gods eater 2 and anything else remotely good that they release. if they'd release tales of innocence r, Ys and legend of heroes i'd buy those too! it's hard being a vita owner if you only speak english >.<

I also love my 3DS XL; for me it's not a problem to own and carry around both since I have to carry a messenger bag everywhere to begin with.

I wonder if it's possible for them to release a cheaper hardware revision that eschews the proprietary memory in favor of SDHC cards? The game library is good and growing, and has a huge library of older stuff. They just need the right combination of hardware and pricing to get people to jump on.

Subtle

All that and you don't wanna count PSP/PS1/Mini/Digital Only Vita games? Bye

Sorry, I haven't paid attention to the Vita's digital exclusives, but I'm confident it has a healthy dose of Minis and Playstation/PSP games. If you'd like, you could list them.

Kyon

Banned
Sorry, I haven't paid attention to the Vita's digital exclusives, but I'm confident it has a healthy dose of Minis and Playstation/PSP games. If you'd like, you could list them.

I shall do no such thing O__O

Also don't apologize :eek:

WalkMan

Banned
Vita is honestly fine, it'll fulfill the new market gap once PS3 leaves. So PS2-era developers without the budget for next-gen can just develop on Vita/3DS.

Marco1

I think it obvious that vita is dead but kudos to Sony for trying to keep it alive. MS would have killed it months ago.

QaaQer

never understand why people say this, no one is happy. People are just stating the facts....

srsly. you don't see all the LOL!!! kill it now!!! blah blah comments? Face it, there are lots of console fanatics that enjoy seeing the competition die. Just like there are lots of republicans who'd like the USA to be a one party state.

Subtle

Vita is honestly fine, it'll fulfill the new market gap once PS3 leaves. So PS2-era developers without the budget for next-gen can just develop on Vita/3DS.

The hardware gap is too large for multiplatform games. Besides, the handheld scene revolves around exclusives.

Somnid

I think they'll just go 3DS if they're in Japan, maybe Wii U. In the West they'll just slow die out transition to iOS and make an impassioned plea to Kickstarter before going up in a puff of smoke. Or at least that seems to be how it's going.

Kyon

Banned
Restocking those empty shelves with extra copies from his own Vita collection. If Sony won't support the Vita, Skyward will.

Now waiT...

Jdiabksjadjbs

ibhfzaXoKCW9rV.gif
ibhfzaXoKCW9rV.gif
ibhfzaXoKCW9rV.gif

It's always funny to see the fanboys react with shock when the most expensive console/handheld doesn't end up "winning." It only happens every generation.

But I'm not happy to see the Vita failing. Competition is good for everyone. I don't know what Sony is thinking.

Can we have Shenmue HD collection now then? :3

No. Sega hates us.

Ryoku

I thought that the whole handheld war was going to play out similarly to that of NDS vs PSP, but to a lesser degree due to smartphones and tablets.
When we found out about 3DS' price drop a few months after PSV's price was announced, and that those rip-off memory cards were required, I began to question myself. Even more so when I realized that Sony themselves stated that PSV is selling for a loss, but would be profitable three years after launch. Yes, the memory cards may make up for the price, but what this also entails is that a price drop is unlikely unless Sony wants to suffer huge losses.

It ended up being worse than NDS vs PSP.

Kyon

Banned
Yeah those MC prices LORD a mess. @Sony GORL if you are reading this fix that shit. You is a goddamn mess. How you gonna let your baby lay there getting dropped on its damn head? SMH

Ratrat

I'll buy one if Sony drops the price. Regardless of it becoming a niche platform I see several interesting releases this year.

Wii U has taken over the Vita space in my Aeon in Japan, while Vita has been moved to a few shelves at the end of an aisle, facing the wall. I asked and they said once that stock is gone, they won't be restocking. :(

Eusis

So you're happy with two games you can get on other platforms.
I might be happy just to get Celceta (I actually sorta wonder if they're considering a PS3 port and getting both in the US that way though...) but I'd really rather the system were healthy to insure a solid stream of games coming in, and for them to be localized.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I might be happy just to get Celceta (I actually sorta wonder if they're considering a PS3 port and getting both in the US that way though...) but I'd really rather the system were healthy to insure a solid stream of games coming in, and for them to be localized.

More games are almost always better than no games, though SE is stressing this theory to the very limit right now.

Tizoc

It's times like these I imagine someone do the Mudokon Possession Chant on some Sony heads and they announce a sale where they slash the prices of PSN Vita and PSP content by 50-90%.
...and then the Vita gets its most profitable income in months @3@.

Zeal

Banned
It's so depressing that Sony has practically given up on what is possibly the best designed handheld ever. I mean, this is a serious piece of hardware and it has bean forced to die a silent death long before its time. There's zero killer apps and Sony wants to pretend the system was never made in the first place.

It saddens me that the 3DS can actually do so well even though everything on it is rehashed, gimmicky garbage. So depressing.

trinest

I just realised the only PSV game I'm even remotely interested which isn't multiplatform (that I have somewhere else or could get elsewhere) is New Little King Story.

I was thinking of buying one, but now I know that. Wow.

Even the PS3 has a pile of games which interest my obscure gaming habits.

It's so depressing that Sony has practically given up on what is possibly the best designed handheld ever. I mean, this is a serious piece of hardware and it has bean forced to die a silent death long before its time. There's zero killer apps and Sony wants to pretend the system was never made in the first place.

It saddens me that the 3DS can actually do so well even though everything on it is rehashed, gimmicky garbage. So depressing.

Hardware hasn't been desirable for a long time, it is, but its not going to sell it just by been powerful like it once did.

Software wise the main issue seems to stem it has the basic type of games you would expect on the system. Which for the most part are multiplatform. There hasn't been any wow games yet which would sell the system to gamers outside of loyalist Sony fans, even then they barely attach to the system.

The 3DS has going for it, software wise its the lesser of the two evils. While its got crap all, its got a horizion of games coming out which people can look forward to and pick up. With many of the games been highly antisiptated IPs which grow the system. As well as titles in the pipe line like Monster Hunter which are money hatted and spur interest.

In general Nintendo is doing just enough to keep it more afloat then Sony is with the PSV.

BlackJace

The salt.

Also, what if I told you that hardware doesn't mean jack shit if people don't care for its games?

Any examples of the rehashed gimmicky garbage?

73V3N

Banned

Not sure if serious.

Kyon

Banned
I'll buy one if Sony drops the price. Regardless of it becoming a niche platform I see several interesting releases this year.

iSNR9XfLlNrSW.gif

Thank you for your future purchase. Make sure to pick up P4G.

/End Promo

yabye.gif

Let me leave before it gets ratchet

It's so depressing that Sony has practically given up on what is possibly the best designed handheld ever.

Not really: can't replace the battery, proprietary memory cards that cost a arm and a leg, useless 3G feature that requires a monthly payment, price...

...in my opinion, it's these flaws that were parasitic to the Vita's viability.

These could've been a non-issue. Sony can easily remedy all this with a second revised model, if the Vita lasts that long: cut the 3G feature and replace it with internal storage with memory sticks as optional (old Vita users can re-use their current memory cards), have a longer battery that's replaceable somehow, and announce the new model with a lower price! Add a few games and a year of PS Plus.

Vita can be saved. But whether it happens or not is the big question.

While there are quite a few more Vita games that I haven't purchased, after I buy those the Vita games situation is going to be terribad.

Luckily, since I did not own a PSP and homebrewed it, I'm gonna have games for days. Even if this thing is a $200 emulation + PSP machine, I'll have got my money's worth.

Rubius

Didnt help that two of the opening game for the Vita, Wipeout and Unit 13 were litterally the last game those 2 company made before they died.
The Vita killed two companies.

GavinGT

Banned
Not really: can't replace the battery, proprietary memory cards that cost a arm and a leg, useless 3G feature that requires a monthly payment, price...

...in my opinion, it's these flaws that were parasitic to the Vita's viability.

These could've been a non-issue. Sony can easily remedy all this with a second revised model, if the Vita lasts that long: cut the 3G feature and replace it with internal storage with memory sticks as optional (old Vita users can re-use their current memory cards), have a longer battery that's replaceable somehow, and announce the new model with a lower price! Add a few games and a year of PS Plus.

Vita can be saved. But whether it happens or not is the big question.

I agree that the problems you listed haven't helped Vita's uptake. But they're relatively minor and could be overcome if the Vita were only a product that the mass market wanted. Xbox 360, with all its flaws and Microsoft's missteps, has proved this.

Top Bottom