• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Not even Wake-Up Club can save the Vita

They will announce a bundle with some first party game coming out this fall.

It's the PSP playbook all over again. These are the same complaints I had early on with PSP.

I want a Vita, but I'm in the minority.

Most people have no idea what it is or why they should get one.
And that is Sony's fault.

Rubius

Free, Free Fallin
ANzlE.png

I'm pretty sad that a good system would die so young. It actually had potential. They just didnt have games, and they tried to rip people off too much.
100$ for a Micro SD card?
Dont fuck with me Sony. Dont fuck with me.

People who say its like the PSP. Its not. The PSP sold well for one unique reason, emulation. If the Vita can be hacked, and get N64 and PS1 emulation pretty good, then it will start selling.

PopInnovation

Neo Member
I absolutely love my Vita so this is extremely depressing to see.

I'm still a strong believer it's far too early to say the device is dead. It's just sad that Sony really don't seem to be doing much about it - look at the way Nintendo stood behind the 3DS and managed to turn around what was originally considered a "slow start". What's going on, Sony? Do something!

We need Vita Launch 2.0.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
They will announce a bundle with some first party game coming out this fall.

It's the PSP playbook all over again. These are the same complaints I had early on with PSP.

I want a Vita, but I'm in the minority.

Most people have no idea what it is or why they should get one.
And that is Sony's fault.

Sony's marketing department is shit. They didn't air commercials for all stars until weeks after launch, and then I only saw them after 10 pm. And I havent seen a Vita commercial in months. That's pure incompetence.

Xater

E3 should be interesting. The time Sony will spend during their press conference will probably be a good indication of their future commitment. But I have a feeling that despite the PS4 being shown off PS3 might still get more stage time than the Vita.

Ryoku

E3 should be interesting. The time Sony will spend during their press conference will probably be a good indication of their future commitment. But I have a feeling that despite the PS4 being shown off PS3 might still get more stage time than the Vita.

I remember when people expected Sony to come in arms and save the Vita during last year's E3. Nope.
I think the majority of Sony's E3 press conference will be spent with talks of their new console, some PS3, and some Vita.

Xater

I remember when people expected Sony to come in arms and save the Vita during last year's E3. Nope.
I think the majority of Sony's E3 press conference will be spent with talks of their new console, some PS3, and some Vita.

That's why I am assuming this. Last year should have been a much bigger Vita push and it ended up being underwhelming. I guess this year even Sony has lost all hope.

I am amazed Sony is letting SCEA just ignore the vita.

Recently SCEA is just.... Weird. It's like they go out of there way to lose dev support and sell leads hardware. Kaz needs to tell Tretton to step up or leave before the 4 hits.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Didnt help that two of the opening game for the Vita, Wipeout and Unit 13 were litterally the last game those 2 company made before they died.
The Vita killed two companies.

Don't forget BigBig studio too, who made little deviant for the Vita.

I agree that the problems you listed haven't helped Vita's uptake. But they're relatively minor and could be overcome if the Vita were only a product that the mass market wanted. Xbox 360, with all its flaws and Microsoft's missteps, has proved this.

Yeah, you got a point with the 360. Right place, right time, and Vita was just bad timing with the current market I guess.

But I really think the memory stick killed it. The other flaws I mentioned could be minor, but not the memory.

Pachinko

The current high priced version of the vita along with it's current software library are essentially a ghost in the gaming world. It really is an amazing handheld but when there's no exclusive content worth buying the system for (over simply buying a ps3) and sony isn't trying very hard to get any of that content , why would a retailer even leave shelf space ? Sony seems unwilling to drop the price which is the only surefire way to ignite sales of any kind outside of advertising but they've done neither.

I believe there is reason for this, they wanted to keep their margins as high as possible. Same reason the ps3 got a price increase this year, sony is bleeding money like crazy for many complicated reasons but on the gaming front they are at least trying to stay profitable on hardware alone. This was likely the plan for both their 3rd quarter and 4th quarter of the 2012 fiscal year. Sales were expected to be lower then usual I'm sure but each sale is also currently making them at least some money rather then being 0 or more uneeded red ink.

Will Sony abandon the console entirely after only a year ? ehh, I don't think so. It's done fairly poor but it's still sold what , 3 million worldwide at this point? Find a way to manufacture the unit for MUCH cheaper, whatever it takes really and then sell it for 149.99 with a year of playstation plus AND start literally handing money to 3rd parties to make exclusive games for it on top of promoting the hell out of it. About a billion dollars in marketing throughout 2013, a re-branding of the device and much cheaper manufacturing could all combine to to double sales, maybe hit 10 million units sold by the end of the year. Once you hit 10 million , some amount of sales are assured for most content which SHOULD in turn lead to more software that will in turn lead to more system sales.

It's gotta start somewhere though, a huge price drop , then a re-design, then a marketing push followed by at least 2 good , exclusive games releasing every month. When I say exclusive I mean psvita only, you can't play it ANYWHERE else. Subsidize some indy games , something, anything will at least help.

Even if it does die though- I still got a portable psone player with a beautiful screen on it :p

dab0ne

I love my vita but I'm not surprised. This thing is doomed to fail for a few reasons:

1. overpriced storage
2. overpriced games
3. overpriced PSP games on PSN
4. overpriced hardware
5. lack of PS2 support (they really need to figure this out)

Razdek

Banned
They have an awful commercial running in Canada with Toronto raptor Landry Fields giving away a Vita to a stranger and it looks like it was made by film students. It's so terrible they would have been better off not making it.

I love my vita but I'm not surprised. This thing is doomed to fail for a few reasons:

1. overpriced storage
2. overpriced games
3. overpriced PSP games on PSN
4. overpriced hardware
5. lack of PS2 support (they really need to figure this out)

You could produce a similar list for the 3DS, most probably. Right now, especially outside of Japan, what is saving the 3DS seems to be the relatively cheaper price and Mario.

BearPawB

Banned
Debating trading in my vita + 3ds tomorrow and maybe picking up a 3ds xl. I have played my vita more, but that was mainly due to to Persona 4.

There aren't really any 3ds games I am absolutely yearning for, but i will definitely get the next pokemon game. And I never picked up a layton game before....

I know the trade in will not be worth what money they give me. But I don't exactly see the Vitas stock rising....

I don't know what to do... Was initially going to trade stuff in towards a wii u...but i really don't feel like doing that after being somewhat burned by being an early 3ds and vita adopter.

DjRoomba

Banned
Free, Free Fallin

I'm pretty sad that a good system would die so young. It actually had potential. They just didnt have games, and they tried to rip people off too much.
100$ for a Micro SD card?
Dont fuck with me Sony. Dont fuck with me.

People who say its like the PSP. Its not. The PSP sold well for one unique reason, emulation. If the Vita can be hacked, and get N64 and PS1 emulation pretty good, then it will start selling.

Oh please how many people are hacking their psp and emulating n64 games? The PSP sold well cos it was a different time where people still carried portable gaming systems and the idea that you could play music and watch videos on it was still a neat selling feature.

dab0ne

All of them, more or less.

Bingo! I actually read an article earlier stating the theory behind the expensive proprietary memory from Sony. They theorized it was because Sony knows the Vita will eventually be hacked and they will at least get money from the proprietary memory cards needed to store the pirated games. I think it's because Sony loves to fail.

my cousin just gave me his broke vita Im send it to sony get fixed, buy P4 and have fun. If it die it die. I dont think theres much to really do if its not appealing like it should.

Eusis

3ds sells because it sells to kids.
I do imagine it goes beyond kids... which is probably the thing actually: Nintendo's still got a solid stake in the children's market, while anyone older who likes portable gaming is probably more Nintendo leaning anyway as they have the longer, richer portable history and transitioned to the 3DS while the DS could be considered alive. It's a minority that's still willing to grab the Vita or outright prefers it, and wouldn't rather just play higher end games on consoles or use the 3DS for their portable fix.

Rorschach

The mem cards are a huge sticking point. I'm still a little salty about the 32gb prices, the lack of internal storage, and the change to new media. They got way too greedy.

All im asking from sony is a Gran Turismo Vita....im really tempted to buy a old psp just so can have GT on the go

When people talk about how Sony actually tried and is trying to put games on vita that will help it , I just refuse to agree because they havent even bothered to announce (even if they dont release within the next year) what has to be their largest two franchises on it (GOW and GT) . Frankly, new ips and niche games are nice and all and why I personally own a Vita , but it just doesn't cut it for trying to get people to buy this thing. Mind you, I'm not sure if these series would help all too much at this point, perhaps conjoined with a price cut and other agressive tactics by Sony. But I'd just feel content that they actually tried if those games came/were announced , though I personally wouldn't probably touch them or at least not GOW.

Burai

shitonmychest57

They couldn't be bothered to showcase it at E3, TGS, GDC or Gamescom last year, and that was back when they had hope thanks to CoD and Assassin's Creed.

There's no hope this year. It's a dead console.

Rubius

Oh please how many people are hacking their psp and emulating n64 games? The PSP sold well cos it was a different time where people still carried portable gaming systems and the idea that you could play music and watch videos on it was still a neat selling feature.

Flash news. Casuals are cheap. When I bought my dreamcast, I got 2 games, and 55 ripped games.
Every single time I saw a PSP, it was hacked. Hell, even my parents bought stack of pirated movies.

People are cheap. They want Flash DS cards. And they will buy them if they can.

3ds sells because it sells to kids.

Does Vita have a good camera? Went to an aquarium in Ikebukuro with my daughter and saw a ton of kids taking photos of the fish with their DS. I've already bought my daughter a camera but I imagine a lot of parents saw that and will get their kids one.

Sony should be advertising the Vita as a kids first multimedia device; games, camera, music, movies and web browsing. Smaller, easier and cheaper than iPad.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Does Vita have a good camera? Went to an aquarium in Ikebukuro with my daughter and saw a ton of kids taking photos of the fish with their DS. I've already bought my daughter a camera but I imagine a lot of parents saw that and will get their kids one.

Sony should be advertising the Vita as a kids first multimedia device; games, camera, music, movies and web browsing. Smaller, easier and cheaper than iPad.

If they were to push some kid friendly software, it would go a long way. Possibly something with a TV show.....

Then again, any advertising would help at this point.

Probably true, but thanks to that it's getting exclusive MH and DQ games!

Interesting how Square-Enix decided to go with the DS and 3DS for DQ even when the PSP was selling a lot after Monster Hunter. Wonder if Nintendo has a deal with SE or if Yuji Hori prefers Nintendo? I know DQ is enjoyed by all ages in Japan. Maybe that's why Nintendo fits better with the DQ franchise.

Just wondering because the DQ remakes were originally PS2 games and DQVII was for the PS1. SE could easily help the Vita a lot in Japan by re-releasing a DQ collection on the Vita or bring out DQVIII as well. But seeing DQVII being re-mastered for the 3DS, it looks like it'll be on Nintendo's platform from now on. We could possibly see DQVIII on the 3DS as well.

Just funny how certain games can actually save the Vita, but it's left to die at the moment.

Interesting how Square-Enix decided to go with the DS and 3DS for DQ even when the PSP was selling a lot after Monster Hunter. Wonder if Nintendo has a deal with SE or if Yuji Hori prefers Nintendo? I know DQ is enjoyed by all ages in Japan. Maybe that's why Nintendo fits better with the DQ franchise.

Just wondering because the DQ remakes were originally PS2 games and DQVII was for the PS1. SE could easily help the Vita a lot in Japan by re-releasing a DQ collection on the Vita or bring out DQVIII as well. But seeing DQVII being re-mastered for the 3DS, it looks like it'll be on Nintendo's platform from now on. We could possibly see DQVIII on the 3DS as well.

Just funny how certain games can actually save the Vita, but it's left to die at the moment.

As far as I know, the DQ series goes to the best selling system.

When I said 'especially outside of Japan' I meant it.

dab0ne

When people talk about how Sony actually tried and is trying to put games on vita that will help it , I just refuse to agree because they havent even bothered to announce (even if they dont release within the next year) what has to be their largest two franchises on it (GOW and GT) . Frankly, new ips and niche games are nice and all and why I personally own a Vita , but it just doesn't cut it for trying to get people to buy this thing. Mind you, I'm not sure if these series would help all too much at this point, perhaps conjoined with a price cut and other agressive tactics by Sony. But I'd just feel content that they actually tried if those games came/were announced , though I personally wouldn't probably touch them or at least not GOW.

Some major 3rd party wouldn't hurt either. A GTA exclusive to the Vita, a competent Call of Duty, The Walking Dead (seriously, why is this on ios and not the vita), and a Revelations type Resident Evil exclusive could be huge for the vita.

For their sakes, Sony also better announce some amazing functionality between the Vita and PS4 like the WiiU has with it's touchpad controller. If there are really good features they could bundle the two consoles together at a reasonably discounted price.

Who am I kidding? They're fucked!

Some major 3rd party wouldn't hurt either. A GTA exclusive to the Vita, a competent Call of Duty, The Walking Dead (seriously, why is this on ios and not the vita), and a Revelations type Resident Evil exclusive could be huge for the vita.

For their sakes, Sony also better announce so amazing functionality between the Vita and PS4 like the WiiU has with it's touchpad controller. If there are really good features they could bundle the two consoles together at a reasonably discounted price.

Who am I kidding? They're fucked!

Well relying on third parties imo (along with a multitude of other design and execution decisions) is part of why they are in this mess to begin with, especially if they can't be arsed to moneyhat anyone or to convince people to show support beyond a logo or letting you use their ip. If Vita gets out of this situation it has to be through Sony imo...so yea totally fucked ;_;.

Top Bottom