• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Not only are handhelds done for, CNET writer doesn't think Vita will come out in NA

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
I don't take buzz out loud too seriously but I did cancel my vita preorder. I cannot see myself carrying an iPhone, iPad and vita around. I'll get a vita eventually but not at launch.

Gamers still want dedicated handhelds, and the level of game quality that comes with them, but the mainstream is moving past them.

With a smartphone you only have to carry one thing. People don't care if the games are shallow, they just want casual amusement during downtime.

Coolwhip

Banned
I don't take buzz out loud too seriously but I did cancel my vita preorder. I cannot see myself carrying an iPhone, iPad and vita around. I'll get a vita eventually but not at launch.

Get a manpurse. Why do you want to carry those 3 things around in the future though? If you don't want to now.

Shai-Tan

Banned
Gamers still want dedicated handhelds, and the level of game quality that comes with them, but the mainstream is moving past them.

With a smartphone you only have to carry one thing. People don't care if the games are shallow, they just want casual amusement during downtime.

current top selling iphone games:

angry birds
fruit ninja
words with friends
where's my water
cut the rope
tiny wings
madden nfl 12
doodle jump
bejeweled
angry birds season
real racing 2
tetris
the game of life
plants vs zombies
scribblenaughts remix
the sims 3
monopoly
fifa soccer 12
where's waldo
angry birds rio
cut the rope experiments
sonic the hedgehog
scrabble
uno
grand theft auto 3
zombieville usa
battlefield bad company 2
the sims 3 ambitions
nba jam
fruit ninja puss in boots

seems like people are buying "hardcore" games even when they control terrible. i didn't even bold borderline games that have casual appeal but are as involving as any of the hardcore indy games out there like the sims or plants vs zombies. people do discover some of those bolded games are not that fun to play and some are probably satisfied with touch but it seems like people do want to play those types of games

also:

http://image.gamespotcdn.net/gamespot/images/2011/40/IMG_0419_75959_screen.jpg

ref:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/mobile-gaming-myths-debunked-6298519
http://www.g4tv.com/videos/51368/dice-2011-myths-of-the-app-store-presentation/

Coolwhip

Banned
Probably because they want to try the games out on their phone. I honestly doubt anyone puts more than an hour into playing them with those horrid controls. Makes me wonder if that will ever get adressed by Apple.

I did play quite a bit of android games when I was spending about an hour daily in the tube. Since I moved closer to where I work and commuting by cycling, I stop playing these games except when I'm waiting for something.

test_account

XP-39C²
It wasn't an opinion based on facts. They came to a conclusion that in a post iOS Game Centre world that dedicated handhelds have no place in the market. This includes the Vita (which they say was 2 years too late) and the 3DS.
Oh ok, i see, thanks :) I just thought it was strange that he didnt think that the Vita would come out now when it is less than 2 months away from launch.

AzaK

Love how everyone thinks iOS is just Words with Friends and Angry Birds. Their's more good titles on iOS than 3DS and Vita combined.
I'm being serious here - could you list them? There has been a grand total of 1 iOS game apart from my own of course, that I have played for more than an hour or two. Super Stickman Golf. I just find iOS games lacking in the flair I usually get from something like a Nintendo game.

bob page

I'm being serious here - could you list them? There has been a grand total of 1 iOS game apart from my own of course, that I have played for more than an hour or two. Super Stickman Golf. I just find iOS games lacking in the flair I usually get from something like a Nintendo game.

These are just the ones that I have on my iPhone right now, but they've all captivated me for multiple hours and can easily match the quality found on DS/PSP:

Sword & Sworcery
Drop7
Dungeon Raid
Anomaly Warzone
Monsters Ate My Condo
Solipskier
Groove Coaster
League of Evil
Jetpack Joyride
Game Dev Story
Gravity Hook
Tilt to Live
Radballs
Real Racing 2
Osmos HD
Contre Jour HD

Shai-Tan

Banned
EA games don't count. They're inherently shit. They put 0 effort into them.

Look up Infinity Blade and Superbrothers: Swords & Sorcery EP instead. both legit hardcore titles in my book.

it's true the EA games are shit. bit of a false advertising/trading on their brand for people who go into it expecting the game to be like the other versions. iirc dead space is a port job though

orioto

Good Art™
As usual, i think it's not really about what the phone market is right now... If The Vita needs as long as the psp, or maybe several years at least to gain some momentum.. its survival will depend on the evolution of the phone gaming market.

For me, the phone market needs two things to really exist for gamer.
_One of the major actors (samsung or apple) releasing a xperia like sku (Apple wouldn't give buttons to the iphone, but there is nothing stoping them to market an other iphone sku for an other market, let's say an igphone or something. And Samsung well, Samsung just has the market at its foot if you want my opinion. They just have to pick it on the ground...

_But for that they need this second thing. Which is to create a secondary gaming store, which would have more value, with console games and higher prices. That way you would have the mainstream games and something more dedicated with more value for gamers. On this market, of course, every major editors would release its biggest titles.

And in this context, you have microsoft who doesn't have a portable console, and is just waiting nicely, with the whole power of their xbl... And they could find some partners...

Nintedno may have a Mario card that will always give them some strengh, but the vita.. I think Sony basically jumped in a mine field with his eyes closed!

LayLa

just listened to the Tech News Today predictions show (TWiT daily podcast hosted by ex Buzz Out Louders)
apparently Nintendo and Sony are going to go 3rd Party and start developing for iOS. lol.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
These doomsayers aren't considering people like me in their prognosticating... you know, people who aren't normally handheld gamers, but are going to buy Vita because it appeals to their need to play any good, console-type games.

I see Vita appealing to a nontraditional audience.

Berordn

These doomsayers aren't considering people like me in their prognosticating... you know, people who aren't normally handheld gamers, but are going to buy Vita because it appeals to their need to play any good, console-type games.

I see Vita appealing to a nontraditional audience.

To be fair though, this is exactly what the PSP did and it backfired horribly, fizzling out after the first few months. This time they did make a point to include a decent launch lineup and the screen and battery are acceptable, but history tells us it won't achieve any long-term success.

Though everything depends on your metric for console-type games. Isn't Mario Kart a console game, even though it's on handhelds as well?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
To be fair though, this is exactly what the PSP did and it backfired horribly, fizzling out after the first few months. This time they did make a point to include a decent launch lineup and the screen and battery are acceptable, but history tells us it won't achieve any long-term success.

Though everything depends on your metric for console-type games. Isn't Mario Kart a console game, even though it's on handhelds as well?

I don't think the PSP is an accurate comparison... not wholly. I bought a PSP, but it was disappointing.

Vita is a real gaming machine. (by my metric) Two sticks. All the functionality to straight-port a console shooter onto the system.

You can and will play a real CoD on Vita.

That might not have the same appeal for CoD'ers that the console version will have... but they'll get a percentage. And there will be other console-lite games that are only on the Vita.

This is why I'm buying it. And I don't generally buy handhelds. Not very scientific, but I know there will be a percentage of folks like me. How many? I have no freakin clue.

My main gripe here is that for all the talk of a shrinking market, it seems like no one is acknowledging the consumers like me. We are out there.

Shai-Tan

Banned
As usual, i think it's not really about what the phone market is right now... If The Vita needs as long as the psp, or maybe several years at least to gain some momentum.. its survival will depend on the evolution of the phone gaming market.

For me, the phone market needs two things to really exist for gamer.
_One of the major actors (samsung or apple) releasing a xperia like sku (Apple wouldn't give buttons to the iphone, but there is nothing stoping them to market an other iphone sku for an other market, let's say an igphone or something. And Samsung well, Samsung just has the market at its foot if you want my opinion. They just have to pick it on the ground...

but without an industry standard or a strong software platform with third party support it's dead in the water. samsung isn't positioned the make a game platform. apple though could be very successful but it's questionable to me if they would dilute their brand to make a model for games specificaly even though the highest selling software on the app store is all games

_But for that they need this second thing. Which is to create a secondary gaming store, which would have more value, with console games and higher prices. That way you would have the mainstream games and something more dedicated with more value for gamers. On this market, of course, every major editors would release its biggest titles.

yeah, to support higher price points it would be necessary to have a separate store or section where games wouldn't get lost . the app store is terrible for discovery of anything outside of the games that are already on charts. if they were actually good games then we would see a critical mass of reviews of games that would also allow for browsing by metacritic/gamerankings scores or whatever

And in this context, you have microsoft who doesn't have a portable console, and is just waiting nicely, with the whole power of their xbl... And they could find some partners...

Nintedno may have a Mario card that will always give them some strengh, but the vita.. I think Sony basically jumped in a mine field with his eyes closed!

right there are other players who could perfect what the next form factor of the vita really should be aiming at. nintendo has the same problem as sony though in weak software and worse online so it seems questionable to me unless they partnered with someone which they probably dont want to do for business reasons

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Probably because they want to try the games out on their phone. I honestly doubt anyone puts more than an hour into playing them with those horrid controls. Makes me wonder if that will ever get adressed by Apple.

I've put in hours into many iOS games. I'm sure as fuck not a casual gamer.

orioto

Good Art™
but without an industry standard or a strong software platform with third party support it's dead in the water. samsung isn't positioned the make a game platform. apple though could be very successful but it's questionable to me if they would dilute their brand to make a model for games specificaly even though the highest selling software on the app store is all games

yeah i don't really know but i think samsung is number two in phone market and everyone love the galaxy S. I guess a lot of people here, gamers and geeks, could buy a legit good android smartphone dedicaced to gaming.

Aaron

I think he meant games like GTA with wonky virtual controls or other controls that don't quite work
I think people forget that shooting in the PS2 GTA3 was also shit and blame it on IOS. Go back to GTA3 and you'll find it controls way worse than you remember.

Shai-Tan

Banned
I've put in many hours into GTA3 and the controls are not wonky. I am doing a 100% run too cause I know it's possible.

iirc GTA3 has lock on shooting which I guess could make it ok. i found the top down chinatown wars unbearable though. some have different standards for controls I guess BUT I think we can ask what people would do if they had a legitimate choice when we discuss where the market is going

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm not sure why Apple aren't more aggressive in the gaming space.

Assuming they come out with a quad-core processor in the iPad 3, and a GPU similar to the Vita, then they'll be close in computing power and probably ram (they might go to 1GB for the next one?). But there will still be the same issue of not knowing how much CPU or RAM you can use for your games - look at infinity blade issues.

I think there could be a case for are more 'controlled' environment for games on apple devices, which would be good for developers and for us.

eg let some games request 'full control', and iOS will give it e.g full access to 2-3 of the CPU cores (keeping one for basic background tasks), and 512MB of the 1GB RAM. It'd shut down background tasks if necessary to do this.

you'd then have something similar to how the Vita is structured - 'big' games having access to a fixed, large portion of the power, but still reserving some for smaller games/apps. And when not running a big game, all that power/ram can of course be used for other things.

Then the only thing missing is buttons and although I much, much prefer buttons, I think Apple can manage without. Look at Vita - they're adding touch/tilt controls already. Minna no golf could probably work touch-only, uncharted climbing is already touch compatible and I think virtual sticks + motion aiming would work ok, Katamari is touch only (optional but its there)

Cipherr

I know you're joking but if the next Xbox and Playstation don't release in 2012 (doubt it) then I'd consider Wii U like in between this gen and next-gen based on its rumored hardware specs. That's just me.

There is no in between for generations. Its the next hardware iteration, its the next generation of consoles. 360 released a year before PS3, and I have never seen anyone call the 360 and 'inbetween' console. The specs have nothing to do with 'generation', that word is about Time, not the fucking hardware.

itsgreen

There is no in between for generations. Its the next hardware iteration, its the next generation of consoles. 360 released a year before PS3, and I have never seen anyone call the 360 and 'inbetween' console. The specs have nothing to do with 'generation', that word is about Time, not the fucking hardware.

Also Wii launched after 360... and yet doesn't come close...

LCfiner

Well, Sony tried to do this, by calling the 360 the xbox 1.5 around the time of the PS3 launch.

some forum members took up that torch but it soon became clear it was a ridiculous stance.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Bad argument, as most people are going to pay for a cell phone anyway for, you know, the phone function. It's a cost most people look at the same as rent/utilities/gas/internet.. part of life you just have to pay.
They don't have to get an iPhone for phone function, and it people are arguing that the iOS devices will replace gaming devices, one might as well see what one's actually paying for their ticket to ride.

(Given I went with $79 a month, I was being fairly conservative too.)

They don't have to get an iPhone for phone function, and it people are arguing that the iOS devices will replace gaming devices, one might as well see what one's actually paying for their ticket to ride.

You can buy an iPod Touch and not pay a phone contract.

And that's giving credit to your argument, which I don't really anyway. The only up charge for a smartphone is the data plan. The phone contract is something you'll have anyway. And the data plan for most people is far more useful for utility usage than downloading games.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.

You're assuming they'd go with a non-data phone. Most are buying smartphones these days, so that $79-$100 is going to be paid regardless of the platform.. be it Android or iPhone or Windows. Doesn't matter, any saying iOS gaming is really just saying smartphone gaming.

I got my iPhone 4 awhile back for $49 + contract. I needed the phone + data for work anyhow. I'm reimbursed for my plan, so I was out $50, and I have quite a few iOS games, which I play daily.. sometimes for a minute or 2, sometimes an hour.. usually just a few minutes though.

I don't play for the stretches I do on my PSP or DS, but I don't have near the games for those either.. and to be honest I've played just as many duds on those platforms as I have on iOS.. the thing is the duds in iOS didn't cost me much.

Handheld gaming probably is dead. Particularly in the U.S., but everywhere eventually. I know six year olds that got iPhones for Christmas. Do you honestly think that their parents are going to turn around, even a year or two from now, and buy them a 3DS or a Vita? Not going to happen. Not to mention that human psychology has been affected. People are being raised to want fast paced, short bursts of entertainment. Hardly no one has the patience for a five hour game anymore.

I don't think the PSP is an accurate comparison... not wholly. I bought a PSP, but it was disappointing.

Vita is a real gaming machine. (by my metric) Two sticks. All the functionality to straight-port a console shooter onto the system.

You can and will play a real CoD on Vita.

That might not have the same appeal for CoD'ers that the console version will have... but they'll get a percentage. And there will be other console-lite games that are only on the Vita.

This is why I'm buying it. And I don't generally buy handhelds. Not very scientific, but I know there will be a percentage of folks like me. How many? I have no freakin clue.

My main gripe here is that for all the talk of a shrinking market, it seems like no one is acknowledging the consumers like me. We are out there.
nobody's going to play real cod on vita. and by nobody i mean "about as many people as play COD on Wii" and not absolute zero.

Bear in mind I was responding to someone who was saying, "iPhones aren't that much. $200 with a contract!"

I was following the whole convo that started with people comparing the cost of entry with the cost of entry of PCs.

iPods negate that entirely, and the phone contract prices are a bad analogy as I noted above. The data plan can be considered, but even that is for most being used far more for phone/internet functions. =)

RSLAEV

Now see, if the Vita had a TV-out function, it could have created it's own little niche of being 'a console in your pocket' Come home from work, plug your Vita into your entertainment system and play console games. On the Go? put it in your pocket and take the console experience with you. When it comes to something being a handheld device *only* I think simplicity is more important than horsepower.

But this is only a personal wish of mine. In reality there's lots of other factors in play here that have already been mentioned (pricing, memory cards, must-have franchises...)

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
I was following the whole convo that started with people comparing the cost of entry with the cost of entry of PCs.

iPods negate that entirely, and the phone contract prices are a bad analogy as I noted above. The data plan can be considered, but even that is for most being used far more for phone/internet functions. =)

Sounds like Apple needs an iGamer.

Top Bottom