• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

November 2015 NPD (U.S. Hardware) Predictions - Closes December 8th

RexNovis

Banned
Wii U 800k (Black Friday boost)

You truly believe that WiiU is going to see a 320+% boost over last year? Why? What is happening this year that would lead to such a massive YoY boost? To say this is unlikely would be an understatement of epic proportions. I am incredibly curious to hear your reasoning.

Boke1879

Currently there are two XB1 sku's in Amazons top 20, but the Uncharted bundle sits at #1. This will be a interesting month indeed.

But dont' forget the potential preorders from previous months of the COD and SW bundles. That might be the difference.

RK128

You truly believe that WiiU is going to see a 320+% boost over last year? Why? What is happening this year that would lead to such a massive YoY boost? To say this is unlikely would be an understatement of epic proportions. I am incredibly curious to hear your reasoning.

I guess the great Splatoon x Smash Bundle was going to really spike system sales....but your right, the system is likely only going to get a slight boost (500k). Will edit my post.

But dont' forget the potential preorders from previous months of the COD and SW bundles. That might be the difference.

I mean there has to be people wiser in historic sales trends than me, but those two bundles alone being tallied for this month has to be something like (being low ball and conservative here) +100k - +200k units, right?

What is happening this year that would lead to such a massive YoY boost?
giphy.gif

Covering for Tolu. :p

RexNovis

Banned
I guess the great Splatoon x Smash Bundle was going to really spike system sales....but your right, the system is likely only going to get a slight boost (500k). Will edit my post.

500k is still more than double its sales last year... A single bundle with two games in limited quantities is incredibly unlikely to provide a boost that large if that's really your only reasoning.

TaterTots

Banned

That is true. Also, the BF bundle is sitting right outside of the top 20. This will be a close month, but I believe the PS4 will come out on top.

I think since he was looking at all the gaf members talking about wii u actually selling for once.
Thats where he got it.
Itll depend on shipments though.

RexNovis

Banned
I think since he was looking at all the gaf members talking about wii u actually selling for once.
Thats where he got it.
Itll depend on shipments though.

Even if it's selling better than expected there's the matter of stock. It happens to be a pretty severe limitation for any success WiiU might see this holiday season. The stock levels for those bundles by all accounts are minuscule compared to the Uncharted and Gears bundles their competitors are offering. Not trying to be a downer but let's try to keep things in the realm of reasonable expectations.

allan-bh

Where does it say that? It literally lists Xbox twice, once as one of the Top 5 sellers (along with PS4) and the other time as one of the "Top Products and Inventory" for Thanksgiving day. I assume he is getting that out of the title? Seems weird to say it is a "Top Seller" in the title, then the actual article really doesn't go into that at all.

Supposedly the products are listed in order of sales, so Xbox One is the 3rd best seller in electronics and PS4 the 5th.

Even if it's selling better than expected there's the matter of stock. It happens to be a pretty severe limitation for any success WiiU might see this holiday season. The stock levels for those bundles by all accounts are minuscule compared to the Uncharted and Gears bundles their competitors are offering. Not trying to be a downer but let's try to keep things in the realm of reasonable expectations.
I know thats why I said it depends on shipments.
I agree full heatedly with your point though.

RexNovis

Banned
As far as I remember for npd ps4 and x1 are tracking well below of 360

No. The PS4 is not.

Your hell isn't needed especially as I feel your wrong.

Uhh... What?

Past consoles were having 400k months while this year it was common for ps4 and x1 to be well below 300k. Sales were not great this year npd. I admit maybe i read the numbers wrong. But I'm pretty sure this is right.

If by past consoles you mean Wii or PS2 then yes. But I'd hardly say something is a failure or cause for worry if it isn't trending as well as the two fastest selling consoles ever. That's like saying somebody failed because they got an A instead of an A+.

And it may be the Ps2 I was thinking of. But a gaffer had a nice comparison to show how the current systems were not doing ps2 levels anymore. Sorry, forgot the thread . I also forgot the year for the high 360 sales.

Yes it was PS2. Which happens to be the best selling console of all time. But the US and Japan are the only markets where PS4 is tracking below PS2. WW it's actually tracking ahead and that's even with the PS2 numbers all being factory shipments and the PS4 figures being sold through to consumers. It's not exactly a 1:1 comparison given the release schedule and tracking metrics available for both consoles.

I know thats why I said it depends on shipments.
I agree full heatedly with your point though.

Yes I understood. No worries. I was using your post to further clarify on why it was unlikely we would see those sorts of numbers.

Ryng_tolu

Banned

The Smash Bros + Splatoon bundle for $249 is a very, very good deal.
...Of course this doesn't mean Wii U will increase so much in sales, you can already see here what is my prediction.

exactly. :p

RexNovis

Banned
Supposedly the products are listed in order of sales, so Xbox One is the 3rd best seller in electronics and PS4 the 5th.

It's worth mentioning that their full report (available strictly to subscribers) states that they are projecting the PS4 to sell the most units during the holiday period (Nov 1 - Dec 31st).

Source - please look at the whole conversation for all details.

N.Domixis

Banned
It's worth mentioning that their full report (available strictly to subscribers) states that they are projecting the PS4 to sell the most units during the holiday period (Nov 1 - Dec 31st).

How much for subscription? Is it's NPD expensive?

RexNovis

Banned
The Smash Bros + Splatoon bundle for $249 is a very, very good deal.
...Of course this doesn't mean Wii U will increase so much in sales, you can already see here what is my prediction.

Oh I have no doubt it will be up YoY for sure. You'll get no argument from me about that. However I don't think anything >50% increase YoY is feasible at all. Your prediction is certainly within the realm of possibility.

How much for subscription? Is it's NPD expensive?

Good question. I have absolutely no idea. Haha

allan-bh

For november + december I have no doubt that PS4 will sell more. On Black Friday we need more information but is not out of question that Xbox One sold a little more, or the inverse.

Maybe InfoScout will release data again. In 2014 some people doubted their data but the big lead pointed for Xbox One was consistent with NPD, plus it's a company with several important clients.

No. The PS4 is not.

Uhh... What?

If by past consoles you mean Wii or PS2 then yes. But I'd hardly say something is a failure or cause fit worry if it isn't trending as well as the two fastest selling consoles ever. That's like saying somebody failed because they got an A instead of an A+.

Yes it was PS2. Which halo end to be the best selling console of all time. But the US and Japan are the only markets where PS4 is tracking below PS2. WW it's actually tracking ahead and that's even with the PS2 numbers all being factory shipments and the PS4 figures being sold through to consumers. It's not exactly a 1:1 comparison given the release schedule and tracking metrics available for both consoles.

Yes I understood. No worries. I was using your post to further clarify on why it was unlikely we would see those sorts of numbers.
My bad, sorry for the misconception.

Yes it was PS2. Which halo end to be the best selling console of all time. But the US and Japan are the only markets where PS4 is tracking below PS2. WW it's actually tracking ahead and that's even with the PS2 numbers all being factory shipments and the PS4 figures being sold through to consumers. It's not exactly a 1:1 comparison given the release schedule and tracking metrics available for both consoles.

Well you see according to stuff by experts like people Middle East, South Africa, Brazil, Eastern Europe, Indonesia...those markets don't mean shit you see.

If it isn't beasting in US, UK and Japan then it's in trouble yeah.

I think the "interesting" comparison is whether or not Xbone will be up year on year. PS4 has to be or else the alarm bells should start ringing.

Is there a story/meme behind the quotation marks around the word "interesting" in sales threads? I've been seeing it a lot, feel like there's some inside joke that I'm missing...

I don't think you can attribute an individual ps4 sku as being "ps4 sold more than xbox"

it's just that the uncharted bundle was the top selling sku for consoles

as for the whole target wii u thing, it was only for online purchases

also the added possibility that anyone would buy online from target after the credit card hack is a possible consideration

As far as I know BB accounts for 10-15% of US retail sales. That's quite a good sample. That said, Walmart & Co. hat different offers (e.g. gift cards), so calling a BF winner seems to be premature.

I'm sure X1 won at Target. I would be floored if Wii U sold the most at any retailer outside of Nintendo.com.

What makes you so sure? Please don't tell me 9 of your friends bought their XBOX One there -.-.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Wow, That seems to be the first official data, on who won Black Friday, even if Best Buy only accounts for a small portion of sales, a PS4 November win seems more likely now as well

The first official data of who won Black Friday is Wii U which won on Target online... i know this seem more like a joke, but tecnically that is. :p

Boke1879

I don't think you can attribute an individual ps4 sku as being "ps4 sold more than xbox"

it's just that the uncharted bundle was the top selling sku for consoles

Well that stat claims the PS4 grossed more money at Best Buy. Which I assume we can say it means it sold more. Seeing as both consoles were available for $299

Tratorn

Well; it would have been a suprise for me if PS4 would have lost at BB. It seems there is a bigger PS4 audience shopping there. Did the PS4 win there last year as well? Would be nice to know.

Abdiel's monthly posts are also more PS4-driven most of the time, even if both consoles are close at NPD or if XBox even wins the month.

On the other hand Target seems to be more XBox oriented.

OlgerO

Neo Member
The first official data of who won Black Friday is Wii U which won on Target online... i know this seem more like a joke, but tecnically that is. :p

I still find that hard to believe, would be great if the Wii U sees a big upward trend ofcourse.

Top Bottom