• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Analyst: Switch US retail SW on pace to be biggest Nintendo launch year on record

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Shocking development!

6-7 months of Switch software sales is greater than that of:

6 weeks of WiiU sales
6 weeks of Wii sales
6 weeks of Gamecube sales
6 weeks of Nintendo DS sales
3 months of Nintendo 64 sales
4 and a half months of Virtual Boy sales
6 and a half months of Gameboy Advanced sales
9 months of Nintendo 3DS sales

The title of this thread makes it seem like the Switch has done something phenomenal when in reality the only impressive thing it's done is beat the 3DS, yet people are losing their minds. The Switch will do fine but it's going to be second this generation and will be lucky to beat the Wii's numbers all while Nintendo sacrificed their dedicated handheld market to achieve it. Wii+DS>Switch, WiiU+3DS~Switch.
Guys, remember this post when Nintendo posts financials. #NotEnoughCrows

Shocking development!

6 weeks of WiiU sales
6 weeks of Wii sales

The title of this thread makes it seem like the Switch has done something phenomenal when in reality the only impressive thing it's done is beat the 3DS, yet people are losing their minds. The Switch will do fine but it's going to be second this generation and will be lucky to beat the Wii's numbers all while Nintendo sacrificed their dedicated handheld market to achieve it. Wii+DS>Switch, WiiU+3DS~Switch.

There is no significant dedicated handheld market. Hasn't been one for some time. Mobile will more than make up for any gap.

But hey, I appreciate and encourage skepticism.

doicare

Guys, remember this post when Nintendo posts financials. #NotEnoughCrows
I look forward to the day Nintendo announces they've sold over 250 million Switch's because that is what it would take to beat the Wii and DS sales.
There is no significant dedicated handheld market. Hasn't been one for some time. Mobile will more than make up for any gap.

But hey, I appreciate and encourage skepticism.
Let me know when Nintendo's mobile phone sales beat that of the DS.

asagami_

Banned
Shocking development!
The title of this thread makes it seem like the Switch has done something phenomenal when in reality the only impressive thing it's done is beat the 3DS, yet people are losing their minds. The Switch will do fine but it's going to be second this generation and will be lucky to beat the Wii's numbers all while Nintendo sacrificed their dedicated handheld market to achieve it . Wii+DS>Switch, WiiU+3DS~Switch.

raw-3_8.gif

Zedark

Shocking development!

6 weeks of WiiU sales
6 weeks of Wii sales

Mat clarified that Switch is keeping up with the best launch aligned, so that is impressive.

I look forward to the day Nintendo announces they've sold over 250 million Switch's because that is what it would take to beat the Wii and DS sales.

Talk about Nintendo getting in your head 😂

Crazyorloco

I definitely believe it. Also, 9 out of 10 top selling games on the eshop are third party/indie.

Edit* doicare are you ok? The switch is doing well. Accept it.

Damnnn...lolololol

You have a lot of work guys...
D8sxR1.gif

doicare

I'm loving all these incredibly in depth replies i'm getting with meme gifs and flippant replies, they've sure proved wrong all the facts i've posted.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member

Why are you looking an expectation of units sold when this thread is clearly talking about sales (aka dollars)?

I'm loving all these incredibly in depth replies i'm getting with meme gifs and flippant replies, they've sure proved wrong all the facts i've posted.
Well... is a fact too, that is going to be to be biggest Nintendo launch year on record. Simple as that.

doicare

Why are you looking an expectation of units sold when this thread is clearly talking about sales (aka dollars)?
Because 250million+ units of hardware is going to shift a hell of a lot more units of software and $$$/£££/€€€ than 100million~ units of Switch.

Shocking development!

6 weeks of WiiU sales
6 weeks of Wii sales

Last gen Nintendo went from selling 250 million pieces of HW to closer to 80 million pieces of HW (the SW looks even worse by comparison). If the switch is able to seek close to wii level numbers that would mean Nintendo has managed to stop the decline and even bounce back somewhat. Also because switch SW is selling at console prices and the HW and accessories are quite profitable the switch will be bringing in far more revenue than the 3DS (which made up the bulk of sales last gen). So you're right they won't match their highest ever peak but let's face it no one is ever going to come close to that ever again. They're looking set to move as much or more HW and significantly more SW at a higher price. The switch is a massive step up over the 3DS and wii U combined.

Lucky to beat wii numbers is hardly an insult, it's one of the all time best selling consoles.

doicare

Well... is a fact too, that is going to be to be biggest Nintendo launch year on record. Simple as that.
Which is a pretty meaningless fact when comparing half a years worth of sales to the majority of the other Nintendo consoles that only had a few weeks or few months of sales.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Because 250million+ units of hardware is going to shift a hell of a lot more units of software and $$$/£££/€€€ than 100million~ units of Switch.
Ok. You’ve added a layer of complexity to your argument that doesn’t well serve you. Your assessment of unit sold can be true and false. Since this thread was started on the basis of Switch SW dollars in launch year, let’s look at dollars in launch year. Not 250 million units that could lead to billions of dollars at some time other than launch year.

Zedark

Which is a pretty meaningless fact when comparing half a years worth of sales to the majority of the other Nintendo consoles that only had a few weeks or few months of sales.
See Mat's reply in this thread:
But the comparison I'm making does include the Wii... "on pace"

Consumer spend. Units don't mean much due to pricing variability these days.

I'm fairly confident even time aligned Switch will be right up there with or exceed the other platforms. And this is just physical. Add digital and I'm very confident. Time will tell I guess.

For you... maybe... For Nintendo and the stock holders + the media and general.... Is a big fact. Simple.

Also

But the comparison I'm making does include the Wii... "on pace"

Consumer spend. Units don't mean much due to pricing variability these days.

I'm fairly confident even time aligned Switch will be right up there with or exceed the other platforms. And this is just physical. Add digital and I'm very confident. Time will tell I guess.

Shocking development!

6 weeks of WiiU sales
6 weeks of Wii sales

"Dont get too happy guys"

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
A thriving Nintendo and a thriving Sony is great for gaming. Glad to hear this and funny that people were counting Nintendo out back before its unveiling! :p

Tarrin

Congrats Nintendo.

I'll say the Switch is the first Nintendo console I've liked since the N64. They've done a good job on the hardware and software.

...yikes (to this page).

Anyway, yeah software price is a good interesting point when comparing this to previous handhelds. So far we've seen that the console is selling at a handheld pace with console prices, and it seems like the opposite is true for software, in that it's selling at a console pace (aka higher attach rate) at console prices.

That's basically the best case scenario Nintendo could be hoping for with a hybrid product.

jwhit28

That is amazing considering the Switch price point and the fact that retail has to compete with digital downloads. Well deserved though, look at that launch year 1st party lineup. It hasn't even had a holiday season yet.

I have bought over 40 games for Switch.

The fuck are you talking about?

The whole "starving for games" line has become a meme of sorts. Basically the first time an indie developer came out and said their game did well on Switch some folk said that it was because Switch owners are starving for games.

I helped digitally today! Bought Golf Story and NBA 2K. First time buying an NBA game too.

I can see the goalposts moving now.

Where's western third party?

Rockstar announces LA Noire for Switch.

lol old port, where's GTA5 at least?

Rockstar announces GTA5 for Switch.

lol cross gen old game? enjoy no RDR2.

Rockstar announces RDR2 for Switch.

lol late port I already beat it.

This has been my experience in real life and what I read here on Gaf from time to time concerning the Switch. I wonder what they'll say when the Switch gets the 3rd party on the same day and date as the other consoles.

jwhit28

This has been my experience in real life and what I read here on Gaf from time to time concerning the Switch. I wonder what they'll say when the Switch gets the 3rd party on the same day and date as the other consoles.

Enjoy your 720p/30fps lol

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
You have to give them big credit. They euthanised the Wii U to ensure that the Switch had a full year of AAA software ready to go from launch. Let's hope it continues.

Wait, I'm confused? Switch is on track to match or outsell PS4/Xbox One US retail software sales in 2017? How is that possible?

Top Bottom