• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD August 2011 Sales Results [Update 4: OoT 3D]

fernoca

pramath said:
It's sold more than a million copies. More. Than. A. Million. Copies.
This is its third month at retail, the fact that it still managed to chart is impressive, in fact, it is indicative that the game might go on to become another one of Nintendo's evergreen titles like Mario Kart.
The million-copies number is worldwide though.

pramath

Banned
fernoca said:
The million-copies number is worldwide though.
I know, but it is important to keep things in perspective, especially since Ocarina's 84k numbers are evidently proof of the game 'bombing.'
Man, the Nintendo haters are out in full force lately.

[Nintex]

pramath said:
I know, but it is important to keep things in perspective, especially since Ocarina's 84k numbers are evidently proof of the game 'bombing.'
Man, the Nintendo haters are out in full force lately.

The point is that this is the 3DS 'relaunch' so to speak. And OOT is currently the most popular title for the system. So if they sold 235k 3DS's and 84k Zelda's, what did the other 100k+ new 3DS owners buy? There's not much else out there and if they hunted for some Ubisoft bargains the 3DS will get the same 'shrug' response as it got when the first adaptors bought it.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
[Nintex] said:

The point is that this is the 3DS 'relaunch' so to speak. And OOT is currently the most popular title for the system. So if they sold 235k 3DS's and 84k Zelda's, what did the other 100k+ new 3DS owners buy? There's not much else out there and if they hunted for some Ubisoft bargains the 3DS will get the same 'shrug' response as it got when the first adaptors bought it.
Obviously everyone is playing Face Raiders.

Kusagari

[Nintex] said:

DS games.

firelink

Banned
NPD doesn't track used game sales.

If things don't add up, there are other reasons than people simply buying a 3DS with no software.

jman2050

[Nintex] said:

Top 10 = all software?

Kusagari

Cheech said:
I don't think DX will chart in September; the legs on that game are almost going to be exclusively PC DD.

That said, none of the games you listed are going to do impressive numbers except for Gears and Madden.

For September, I can see Gears #1, Madden #2, a bunch of weird casual crap, Black Ops still hanging around, and maybe Resistance 3 and Dead Island will squeak in at #9 and #10.

The real fun doesn't begin until October's NPDs, which will feature tons of people crying about Dark Souls not charting, and Batman/BF3 blowing the doors off. And Gears and Madden hanging around.

If Resistance 3 barely makes the chart in September it would be Sony's biggest bomb this gen.

fernoca

[Nintex] said:

Well, a few stores were doing deals with said Ubisoft games. :p (Buy a 3DS get one of those free)

While others reduced prices of the games for a week (Street Fighter, Resident Evil, Dead or Alive, etc.). [SSFIV did under 95k at launch and was the top selling 3DS game to under 400k hardware; so there might be some interest still out there]

Pilotwings, Nintendogs+cats are games that hasn't been in any of the NPDs; yet doubt the games are bombing that badly too. :p

Guess we'll see next month with September's NPD. New color, over a month of the new price and Star Fox released along the new color.

Kusagari said:
If Resistance 3 barely makes the chart in September it would be Sony's biggest bomb this gen.

resistance 2 was a terrible game and depending on how turned off people are by it; it might be a bomb. Visually r3 looks quite good but personally due to R2...; its a bargain bin wonder for me. I'm going to wait.

1-D_FTW

OldJadedGamer said:
The problem for Sony is that they needed to drop the price by $100 in the US but keep the price the same in Europe because it's selling well over there. But they can't do that so the compromise was to drop by $50 worldwide.

Exactly. I was among those saying it was a worthless move. 50 bucks wasn't going to move the sales barometer a whole lot and was only going to reduce their revenue by 50 dollars on the people who were already pegged to purchase one. Should have stayed where there were or gone 100 dollars. Dumb move.

909er

Karma said:
The Bravia deal was open to everyone. The laptop deal was students only.

Does anyone believe that these deals really make a big difference?

Probably not in America, but it can. In Australia, as of last May, 1 in 6 PS3's sold were from the Bravia give away deal.

"Sony has announced that Australian PS3 sales stand at 850,000 units...also confirming that 150,000 of the PS3 sales came from consoles given away with Sony Bravia TV deals."

http://www.next-gen.biz/news/australia-ps3-hits-850000-sales-pspgo-under-25000

[Nintex]

jman2050 said:
Top 10 = all software?
No, but if number 9 is 84k, you can imagine that everything below 10 is lower than 50k. Remember that all game sales have taken a beating these past few months. 250k for number 1 is just a really really bad month.

fernoca said:
Guess we'll see next month with September's NPD. New color, over a month of the new price and Star Fox released along the new color.
The new color will be interesting to watch, Star Fox? That's a certain bomb.

[Nintex]

Opus Angelorum said:
I agree.

If the drop wasn't going to be $100 they should not have moved at all and waited until the holidays.
I don't know what Sony was thinking it seems to somewhat work in Europe, maybe that was the plan all along?

Mooreberg

-Pyromaniac- said:
for a lot of people it's one of the only games they ever get. Mainstream people I mean.
It is at least safe to say that is precisely the case when it comes to shooters. It seems like all of shooters released in that March logjam went down in price relatively fast. Same for subsequent releases. At this point people feel like the map packs are a safer purchase than another $60 game. Battlefield 3 is really screwed when it comes to head to head sales against MW3, even if it ends up being much better. Should be a good boost over BC2 though which didn't even do one million on 360 in its first month.

Anyway, does anyone know what BioShock's second month sales were like? Very similar position to Deus Ex - late August release, just before some more heavily marketed games were coming out (particularly Halo 3). I think it sold something like 430K just on Xbox 360 (and no Walmart being counted) so I'm wondering if DX really does have a shot at improving its sales next month.

It guess it is inevitable that Madden will top September since the other big games are platform exclusive. zzzz.

Kusagari

Pachterballs said:
resistance 2 was a terrible game and depending on how turned off people are by it; it might be a bomb. Visually r3 looks quite good but personally due to R2...; its a bargain bin wonder for me. I'm going to wait.

I'm not expecting the numbers of R2 but there's nothing really in September, that will sell well, except Gears and Madden. R3 should easily be able to make the top 5 with 200-250k.

Kazerei

Banned
Wow, I can't believe the people trying to spin OOT's sales into a negative light. The game's been successful, just admit it.

jcm

1-D_FTW said:
Exactly. I was among those saying it was a worthless move. 50 bucks wasn't going to move the sales barometer a whole lot and was only going to reduce their revenue by 50 dollars on the people who were already pegged to purchase one. Should have stayed where there were or gone 100 dollars. Dumb move.

I don't think it was supposed to move the barometer a ton. Their forecast this FY is flat. It seems to have goosed sales a bit in the US and Japan, anyway. They clearly have no stomach for the losses that would come from $200. So the question is, does the marginal increase in users at $250 outweigh the $50 lost revenue?

We don't have the data to reach a particularly informed conclusion, but $50 is probably somewhere around 4 games/accessories. The longer someone owns a console, the more they spend on games/accessories. In other words, there's value to Sony in selling you a machine today, rather than a machine for the same price next year.

Luckyman

Banned
Opus Angelorum said:
I agree.

If the drop wasn't going to be $100 they should not have moved at all and waited until the holidays.

IMO it´s not clear what the effect is with just ~1/3 of the month tracked with the cut. Wii outsold PS3 by 42k in july and it stayed flat in august.

-Pyromaniac- said:
for a lot of people it's one of the only games they ever get. Mainstream people I mean.

Oh for sure. There are tons of people that will buy a console just for that game.

But there are also people who feel like 'hey, an Xbox 360 is pretty cheap now, maybe I'll buy one. What game should I get with it? Well, Black Ops of course!'

Concept17 said:
I just realized how terrible the 360 lineup is this fall, first party-wise. Yuck.

And yet it will still outsell the PS3 in hardware and software, simply because it's identified as the 'online' or 'shooter' console.

I'm buying all my multiplatform games on Xbow 360, simply because it's what most of my friends play on.

Kusagari

Concept17 said:
I just realized how terrible the 360 lineup is this fall, first party-wise. Yuck.

Gears 3 trumps every single thing the PS3 has combined to the mainstream. That's all that matters.

OoT's sales are very good. It has maintained a roughly 40% attach rate with hardware since its launch.

Very few games have ever managed that kind of feat (not even Halo 3 managed to get more than a 30% attach rate when it came out)

Concept17 said:

Mainstream consumers guide sales at this point... not us. These companies are going to push what sells and if games that you feel are "yuck" brings them more sales then that is what they are going to do.

Kasumi1970

my name is Ted
I have not seen any commercial from Sony talking about the new PS3 price on TV. Maybe a lot everyday people in the US don’t know about the price. I think only the internet people knows about it.

Concept17 said:

Same, besides Gears 3 coming out I'm not sure why I even still have my 360. Haven't turned it on in months

Ken Masters said:
Same, besides Gears 3 coming out I'm not sure why I even still have my 360. Haven't turned it on in months

dance central stills gets playtime.

can't wait for gears 3.

and afterwards... dance central 2.

;)

Kasumi1970 said:
I have not seen any commercial from Sony talking about the new PS3 price on TV. Maybe a lot everyday people in the US don’t know about the price. I think only the internet people knows about it.

What is weird is that in the Best Buy weekly ad this week they are advertising the new low price of the Move bundle at $350 and not the $250 model but it does say "new low price".

Ken Masters said:

It's not connected to the internet? Wow, you've missed out on some really good XBLA games.

Mooreberg

Concept17 said:
I think a lot of people realized this six months ago when Gears 3 was delayed out of April for "marketing reasons." Microsoft just isn't a very good publisher anymore, but they don't need to be with the third party support they are getting.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
[Nintex] said:
I expected more from OOT but I think Nintendo really pissed on their Zelda fanbase with Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks.
With the userbase as small as the 3DS's did you really expect it to do much more?

ElNino

Concept17 said:
And yet, I still have more 360 exclusive games to buy this fall than ones for PS3.

Revolver

Kasumi1970 said:

I haven't seen any either. It's almost like Sony doesn't think it's worth talking about.

BurntPork

Banned
firelink said:
NPD doesn't track used game sales.

If things don't add up, there are other reasons than people simply buying a 3DS with no software.
Maybe Sun was right. Perhaps it's just that a ton were traded in and everyone ended up buying used units.

SoulClap

Concept17 said:

Agreed. Pretty awful. SMH at those PS3 sales. At this point Sony has pretty much given up on N.A. right?

LosDaddie

Banned
OldJadedGamer said:
It's not connected to the internet? Wow, you've missed out on some really good XBLA games.

And apparently, X360 doesn't play 3rd party games either. :lol

At this point in the generation, I doubt exclusives drive that much in hardware sales. Chances are that if you care about Sony/MS/Nintendo exclusives, then you already own the console(s). What's left are the mainstream gamers who are going to be more than happy with CoD/BF, Batman, ASsCreed, Madden/NBA 2k.... or whatever quality 3rd party games that are coming out.

Jadedx said:
Compared the ps3 I say it is way better. 360 has game I actually want to play.

Both are equal to me since I already have Gears 3 and Uncharted 3 paid off. But I'm interested in more 3rd party games than 1st party

Stumpokapow said:
Shipments, worldwide.

This thread is sales, US.

I find it kinda funny that the article used as reference is from a site he/she writes on though there was an original link i.e Eurogamer in the article.

Both systems have something interesting for next month plus multiplatform stuff.

[Nintex] said:

Anecdotally speaking, I bought it on day 1 of the price drop, and have yet to buy any 3DS games. I was in the middle of Pokemon Black anyway, so I'm just finishing that for now, and playing a few things from the eshop. I'm thinking about grabbing Starfox later today. If not, I plan to get it at some point for sure, as well as Zelda and Pilotwings.

Top Bottom