• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD December 2011 Sales Results [Up5: Star Wars: The Old Republic Sales]

jvm

Gamasutra.
What's the recommended image hosting site currently? I have three graphs I'm not going to use in my columns that I wanted to drop in here.
Still no 3DS numbers... :/
Look back a few posts. That's about as official as it's going to get. Is it really that important to have the third digit correct, when we're talking about millions?

jvm

Gamasutra.
^ minus.com is pretty good
Thanks. I ended up looking at the FAQ forum and EviLore's post suggests imgur. Will check out minus next time, though.

qSLMt.png

I find this one to be pretty interesting. The handheld revenue went up dramatically (about 50% growth), and then fell back below the level it had back in 2005. By comparison the console market grew by over 90% but has seen far less erosion of that growth (still at 60% growth over 2005).

9CPRe.png

Same as in article today, but with percentages instead of raw units.

S4rQX.png

Nintendo basically grew its own market, but that growth is gone now. Sony appears to have lost share while Microsoft has grown it (with one system, basically).

I find this one to be pretty interesting. The handheld revenue went up dramatically (about 50% growth), and then fell back below the level it had back in 2005. By comparison the console market grew by over 90% but has seen far less erosion of that growth (still at 60% growth over 2005).
Isn't that to be expected though, because the console revenue total reflects two overlapping cycles, the Wii rise and decline with the Xbox 360 later rise, and the handheld chart just represents the DS cycle? (realistically) It's probably better analyzed as a two hump camel where the humps are impossibly close together? Unless of course we don't expect the 360 to cycle down in the near future.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Isn't that to be expected though, because the console revenue total reflects two overlapping cycles, the Wii rise and decline with the Xbox 360 later rise, and the handheld chart just represents the DS cycle? (realistically) It's probably better analyzed as a two hump camel where the humps are impossibly close together? Unless of course we don't expect the 360 to cycle down in the near future.
Sure, but I think this is a good indication of how competition in the console market has helped keep it healthier while the handheld market (traditional market, not tablet/phone) has been dominated by a single player.

Hero

Thanks. I ended up looking at the FAQ forum and EviLore's post suggests imgur. Will check out minus next time, though.

qSLMt.png

9CPRe.png

S4rQX.png

Nintendo basically grew its own market, but that growth is gone now. Sony appears to have lost share while Microsoft has grown it (with one system, basically).

Very interesting, most notably the first one.

Sure, but I think this is a good indication of how competition in the console market has helped keep it healthier while the handheld market (traditional market, not tablet/phone) has been dominated by a single player.

No question! I bet if the PSP had gotten itself together and seen a japan-style second life we'd see a similar curve. I like that second layer of analysis.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Due to Gamasutra's SOPA/PIPA blackout, the second part of my column will go up on Thursday.

If you haven't already, and you live in the U.S., take the time to email your representative and senators. I did.

qSLMt.png

It puts the growth of this gen into perspective as well. Even with the slight downturn it still dwarfs what we saw last gen. I think some of the doom and gloom is unwarranted.

I'm not exactly sure what you are asking but if the average selling price is over $300 then there aren't more $200 models sold than anything else. In fact, it's likely that would be the least popular model. (And I'm pretty sure it is.)

That wasn't the case for November. The 4GB standalone SKU led all hardware SKUs in that month. Not sure for December, though. That may have changed.

Maybe I'm getting my wires crossed here but if the 4GB led all hardware SKUs wouldn't that make it the most popular model ie. of all models available the cheapest was the biggest selling model?

Maybe I'm getting my wires crossed here but if the 4GB led all hardware SKUs wouldn't that make it the most popular model ie. of all models available the cheapest was the biggest selling model?
That sounds true in theory, but it could work out being irrelevant in practice. You could have a situation like this:

4gb: 250k sales
4gb + Kinect: 200k sales
250gb: 230k sales
250gb + Kinect: 240k sales

Whilst the standalone 4gb sold most, the average price would be much, much higher because of the others.

Edit - I just realised that's not what you were talking about. No matter. :)

I was wrong about that(wasn't really thinking about all the consoles sold prior to BF) but my overall point about the ASP being well above $140 doesn't change since the 4gb comprised a minority of sales. (600K vs 1 million for everything else.)

Cygnus X-1

qSLMt.png

9CPRe.png

S4rQX.png

Very interesting figures. Thanks for sharing.

Kind of crazy that the 360 tie ratio jumped up again, it had stayed flat for a while and hardware is better than ever. Here's what it's been at the end of each quarter, going as far back as they have data for on MS investor relations site.
7.0(Dec 07)
8.1(Dec 08)
8.8(Dec 09)
8.9(Dec 10)
9.1(Dec 11)

Road

With those tie ratios total Wii and Xbox 360 software sales are within a (very) few million of each other. Depending on the actual numbers, the 360 may already be on top (although as someone said Microsoft would probably boast about it). Anyway, it is probably happening very soon if it hasn't yet.

Thanks for the work as usual, jvm.

donny2112

With those tie ratios total Wii and Xbox 360 software sales are within a (very) few million of each other. Depending on the actual numbers, the 360 may already be on top (although as someone said Microsoft would probably boast about it). Anyway, it is probably happening very soon if it hasn't yet.

Yep. Wii software has been losing heavy ground to 360 in the U.S. since around mid-2010. ~December 2010/January 2011 software sales pushed Wii back up again, but otherwise, it's seemed to be all downhill for Wii since Summer 2010.

I have:

360: 30.93m
PS3: 19.04m
Wii: 37.67m

That's wrong. Wii should be 38.71 and 360 32.64. Dont have PS3 offhand.

Which points out the low December sales set back the 360's lifetime overtaking of the Wii. I was expected it to pick up as much as 1.5m in Dec, instead with the low sales it only gained 640k.

I'll be pretty interested in January npd now, see if the hardware sales apocalypse is truly upon us.

Which points out the low December sales set back the 360's lifetime overtaking of the Wii. I was expected it to pick up as much as 1.5m in Dec, instead with the low sales it only gained 640k.

I'll be pretty interested in January npd now, see if the hardware sales apocalypse is truly upon us.

Oh, heck, those are without December's figures from this thread! Here's plus the figures from the OP:

360: 32.63m
PS3: 19.98m
Wii: 38.73m

Brashnir

It puts the growth of this gen into perspective as well. Even with the slight downturn it still dwarfs what we saw last gen. I think some of the doom and gloom is unwarranted.

Especially when you consider that these software numbers are retail-only. With the growth in the digital download market, the distance between this and last gen is even more dramatic.

Miles X

6m eh? I think the 360 can still do it. Holiday sales didn't really decline for the HD consoles this year, it was just more frontloaded if you like, so the disappointing Dec sales are kind of misleading.

Pretty sure even with a price cut the Wii is going through the floor this year in the US. Price cut early last year did little and still came 3rd most months, a price cut without SW is a weak one. Even if they cut again this spring, with little to no decent SW coming (and that includes decent casual SW) I see it, at best, sustaining YoY. But likely still down.

360 really needs a price cut though, I think they should have had a temporary $50 cut throughout December to spur on sales, I for sure think if 50m in the US, overtaking the PS2 and the Wii is within MS's grasp, they'll go for it tooth and nail.

Top Bottom