• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD - FFXV experienced the best console launch month in franchise history

duckroll

What explains the large boost in "total dollar revenue"? Is that purely from the various collector's editions?

A mix of stuff. It sold 19% more total physical units than FFXIII at launch right? FFXIII had 0 digital sales at launch. FFXV probably has a decent % of digital sales, which would further inflate the dollar revenue increase at launch. CEs add to that too, sure, but I think a good chunk of it is probably full price digital sales. I wonder if they include Season Pass sales too.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Open world FF here to stay .
FFVIIR might not be but i expect FFXVI to be open world .
The west makes up to much of FF sales numbers now .

FF pretty much changes all throughout each release.

X was linear, XII was semi-open world/MMO-ish zoned world, XIII was very linear, XV was open world.

120v

game was a pleasant holiday surprise for me. honestly expected hot garbage, or best case scenario something i'd play a bit and come back to months later... but it brought me back to the good ol' days. most fun i've had with FF since the ps1

game has issues sure but it's fun so whatever. well deserved

Exactly. I'm pretty sure FFXVI will be nothing like FFXV. This is not how FF has ever worked, and we should be happy about it. Always something fresh and unexpected to look forward to, which is a rare thing in the AAA space.

Probably the #1 reason why Final Fantasy has stayed relevant for 30 years, each entry is different and keeps things fresh. Hard to get burned out when every game is different.

I don't know what's more surprising FF doing well on Xbox, or that a spin off Forza title makes the top 10 and a brand new Gears doesn't, do we have any numbers on how Gears 4 did? Seems like a massive disappointment saleswise. Hopefully the devs can go back to that spy game or something new.

Yeah Gears fell off really hard it seems. Damn.

bigjig

Colin and Greg were theorizing it would sell pretty close to FFXV. That was pretty hilarious.

Colin in particular has had a weird hard on against FFXV, TLG and Gravity Rush 2 for months now lol. Leads you to come up with some fairly crazy predictions I guess.

FF pretty much changes all throughout each release.

X was linear, XII was semi-open world/MMO-ish zoned world, XIII was very linear, XV was open world.

True but the west like open world games and Japanese sales becoming less and less.
Still i guess only time will tell.

I've Platinum'd 9 trophies since ps3. 2 of which are walking undead, free trophies. I actually got the Platinum for this game. I love FFXV. Congrats to the team!

Congratulations

Tabata, the team, SE

maxresdefault.jpg

See you guys at the celebration party later this month.

Tikkan

Neo Member
I'm confused. For XIII, are they adding Japan and the rest of the world's respective launches together, or are they comparing XV's launch to XIII's first month released at all (Japan Only)?

So... were 90% of the sales on PS4, or was a port of a psp game a bad gauge for how well this was going to sell on the Bone?

this is maybe just me, but i believe the retail split is still close to 80:20 or something
I do think digital is where most of FF xbox sales come from.

the slips for the last games were retail only and now the rankings include digital sales
the game was heavily featured on the xbox one dashboard

Is that a joke thread? So ridiculous lol..

Congrats, now get us FFXVI.

16 votes, tho

Game is fantastic and deserves the sales.
Just don't be surprised when future entries build off the FFXV formula of open world with an action type battle system.

Toki767

this is maybe just me, but i believe the retail split is still close to 80:20 or something
I do think digital is where most of FF xbox sales come from.

the slips for the last games were retail only and now the rankings include digital sales
the game was heavily featured on the xbox one dashboard

16 votes, tho
There's no reason to think digital sales of FFXV aren't just as strong on PSN than they are on Xbox Live though.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Colin in particular has had a weird hard on against FFXV, TLG and Gravity Rush 2 for months now lol. Leads you to come up with some fairly crazy predictions I guess.

Collin is passionate but he really lets that get in the way of thinking clearly on a lot of things and in all honesty he can be an outright moron at times.

There's no reason to think digital sales of FFXV aren't just as strong on PSN than they are on Xbox Live though.

ofc they are.
this is my explanation why the game charted at #3 on xbox one ahead of Madden or other games

not that the overall sales ratio for ps4 and xb1 would be screwed towards something like 70:30 only thanks to digital
but maybe slightly

btw here are are the top PSN sales 2016 in the US
1 Rocket League
2 Battlefield 1
3 Minecraft: PlayStation 4 Edition
4 Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
5 Tom Clancy's The Division
6 Grand Theft Auto V
7 Overwatch: Origins Edition
8 Battlefield 4
9 No Man's Sky
10 EA SPORTS FIFA 17
11 NBA 2K17
12 Need for Speed
13 Star Wars Battlefront
14 TOM CLANCY'S RAINBOW SIX SIEGE
15 Battlefield Hardline
16 Madden NFL 17
17 The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition
18 UNCHARTED 4: A Thief's End
19 The Last Of Us Remastered
20 FINAL FANTASY XV

for December only FF was second behind ARK: Survivor Pack

ofc they are.
this is my explanation why the game charted at #3 on the xbox one ahead of Madden or other games

not that the overall sales ratio for ps4 and xb1 would be screwed towards something like 70:30 only thanks to digital

Of which we don't know how much those games sold digitally either. This is nothing more than an empty assertion.

Loudninja

PSN top sellers for December
PS4 Games
1 ARK: Survivor’s Pack
2 FINAL FANTASY XV
3 Need for Speed
4 Grand Theft Auto V
5 Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
6 Battlefield 1
7 Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3
8 Watch Dogs 2
9 Star Wars Battlefront
10 Rocket League
11 Titanfall 2
12 EA SPORTS FIFA 17
13 Minecraft: PlayStation 4 Edition
14 Bloodborne
15 TOM CLANCY’S RAINBOW SIX SIEGE
16 EA SPORTS UFC 2
17 Overwatch: Origins Edition
18 Madden NFL 17
19 NBA 2K17
20 Until Dawn
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/01/06/playstation-stores-top-downloads-of-2016/

Floody

ofc they are.
this is my explanation why the game charted at #3 on the xbox one ahead of Madden or other games

but maybe slightly

btw here are are the top PSN sales 2016 in the US
1 Rocket League
2 Battlefield 1
3 Minecraft: PlayStation 4 Edition
4 Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
5 Tom Clancy’s The Division
6 Grand Theft Auto V
7 Overwatch: Origins Edition
8 Battlefield 4
9 No Man’s Sky
10 EA SPORTS FIFA 17
11 NBA 2K17
12 Need for Speed
13 Star Wars Battlefront
14 TOM CLANCY’S RAINBOW SIX SIEGE
15 Battlefield Hardline
16 Madden NFL 17
17 The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition
18 UNCHARTED 4: A Thief’s End
19 The Last Of Us Remastered
20 FINAL FANTASY XV

Really surprised Rocket League is number 1. Though I guess pretty much everyone who missed it with Plus buys it because their friends have it. What an incredible success story.

Mashing

I enjoyed my time with the game, but as I get further divorced from playing it I find that I feel it was incredibly lacking. Half baked is the word I'd use. I loved the bro's and it was a drop dead gorgeous game, I just wanted more substance (story and side quests).

Top Bottom