• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD - FFXV experienced the best console launch month in franchise history

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
A lot of people are ready to play this on PC- Particularly if they can add some of these missing story pieces to flesh out the storys inconsistency.

What they should do- Why not insert parts of the movie/anime directly into the game? Seriously.

They did with Patch 1.01

Kyoufu

While I don't disagree in general, the resources for stuff like Kingsglaive, Omen, etc trailers are separate from the core game development team, it's not a 1:1 that the game would benefit. What the above would do is just add more money to the development team, and we cannot say for sure money is a problem for FFXV's development.

Time is the problem.

From the 4chan leak thread:

In my opinion, the only problem with the development process is that we didn't have time and sometimes we spent development time creating stuff that wasn't part of the actual game just for promotional material. I understand that it needs to be done for the PR team, tho

If it's not true, then fair enough, but if it's true then my point stands.

At the end of the day, they added some Kingsglaive scenes to the game. Now imagine if they had some real CG content to flesh out the story in the game, Ardyn's past, Ifrit etc. It would have done wonders.

Super happy to see this. I really don't understand why some were rooting for it to fail and pleased to see it having low numbers in Japan (though still very high for this gen). Yes, the game is flawed and we didn't get what was promised by Versus XIII trailers. It's still a good game, and as Jim Sterling says in one of his videos, they appear to be trying to improve it post release because they have artistic integrity.

Even though I'm definitely disappointed with what is clearly an unfinished back half, I'm really happy to have gotten the game; it still had really touching moments and felt like a smart, modern Final Fantasy. That it did well will ensure the franchise has a future.

Now give us that damn Pro patch, Tabata!

A lot of people are ready to play this on PC- Particularly if they can add some of these missing story pieces to flesh out the storys inconsistency.

What they should do- Why not insert parts of the movie/anime directly into the game? Seriously.

Lol, some scenes from the movie are in there. A portion of the Omen trailer is in there as well.

While I didn't enjoy the game as much as others, i'm glad it sold well. Hopefully XVI is more to my liking.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Vm2hytW.jpg

TrojanAg

Well deserved. I do have some issues with the way that the story is presented in the later chapers of the game and some of the linearity towards the end, but I am a fan of most other aspects in the game. It also has one of the best endings in the franchise. Overall, I enjoyed the game quite a bit.

Right now I just want to go and drink a cold one with Tabata.

Tabby just wants to drink a cold one (juice no doubt) with his daughter.

I don't think they were that smart. The effort put into Kingsglaive should have instead went into strengthening the game's story and events. Promotional material like the Insomnia trailer at Jump Festa, the Dawn trailer and the Omen trailer, all of which weren't in the game were just wasted resources that again, could have been used to strengthen the game's story and events while avoiding misleading consumers who think they're getting one thing but end up with something entirely different.

But yeah, I'm glad it seems to be selling OK. I want them to move on and do better with XVI on a big budget.

I generally agree with you on this. But I think they would have addressed these deficits if they were able in the time they had. The game was a giant compromise from start to finish. But I think, in general, they made the right compromises to preserve a fun and playable game. Would I have preferred a better story execution? Of course. Do I feel confident that if they'd delayed again to work in more cutscenes the story would have been way better? Not really. I don't think cinematic storytelling was their strong suite, and past a certain point you have got to make do with the assets you've put together.

ethomaz

Banned
Congrats.

Talking about sales how much it was affected by the holiday and full month???

FFXIII Mar 26 days: 1322k
FFXV Dec 33 days: 1573k (+19%)

Congrats.

Talking about sales how much it was affected by the holiday and full month???

FFXIII Mar 26 days: 1322k
FFXV Dec 33 days: 1573k (+19%)

Including digital we are seeing around 1.8-1.9 million for XV

I wonder how it would have done had it kept the September launch date

Nutter

It's what I'm hoping at least.

In regards to potential platform split... Even if the game did say, 1.5m combined and 20% of those sales were on Xbox (as about expected) it's still a good 300k there which would be good enough for 3rd on its chart. I mean 300k would be still great numbers on their own but a drop in the ocean to where the audience actually is. And will no doubt calapse far harder on Xbox too.I hope we do get a confirmed split though.
You think a game that placed 3rd in a Holday month on a platform that did 1.5 million in hardware sold 300k.

Now that is what I call silently wishing it did bad on a platform you don't own because reasons.

PeterGAF

Banned
Glad to see it did well on Xbox! This was my first FF game and I really hope the series continues to have a future on the platform! It has made a fan out of me. Wonderful game!

Final Fantasy XV experienced the best console launch month in the history of the franchise selling 19 percent more new physical units than Final Fantasy XIII in its launch month and 54% more in total dollar revenue including digital full game sales."

People are working out the 1.5 million+ from that comparison. So no it doesn't already include digital.

notaskwid

No it doesn't. The 1.5 million figure is calculated from the total of FFXIII physical sales.
"Although a Call of Duty has now topped the December sales chart for the ninth consecutive year, Final Fantasy XV was the best selling game for the PS4 during the month," said Naji. "Final Fantasy XV was the second best-selling title for December 2016... Final Fantasy XV experienced the best console launch month in the history of the franchise selling 19 percent more new physical units than Final Fantasy XIII in its launch month and 54% more in total dollar revenue including digital full game sales."

Save the thread if old.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...are-battlefield-1-lead-2016-us-game-sales-npd

Good so including digital we are indeed looking at 1.8 Mill +

This is a massive increase over FFXIII and should pass XIII LTD in no time in USA

I am really surprised, I thought the hype wasn't as high as XIII had.

Yay for FF

libregkd

I love XV, it's my 2nd favorite game of the year
But they really need to drop the Open world in the next game and make something more linear (like the old ones, not linear like XIII) and story driven

It's hard, or probably impossible, to make a game with forests, snow areas, volcanos, deserts and a bunch of cities like FF IV to IX if they try to make all of this in a open world.
I actually think open world is still do-able; all they would need to do really is mess with the scale of the world a bit. I actually think if they took something that was half the size of Lucis, added that to the current landmass of Lucis, and then separated that out over 2/3 continents, you could have enough diversity in locations while still feeling "large". Lucis itself is already a collection of quite a few different environments (Duscae was was wetlands/grassland-ish area. Leide was desert. Cleigne was a lot of rocky mountains as well as forest/lakes/rivers)

That and I think how FFXV handled cities was actually pretty great though. Most towns in previous FF were basically places to rest, heal up, buy new equipment and maybe there would be a sidequest or two. I think the collection of gas stations/rest stops in XV were a great substitution to that. They weren't full fledged cities, but they were large enough where it had all the stuff that you would find in a traditional FF town. And then there were some of the larger cities like Lestallum and Altissia though
you are immediately booted out out of Alissia almost as soon as you get there...
that fill the role of being the major hubs you get out of FF games. To be honest (spoilers because it's about the last half of the game)
if XV had a second, smaller explorable area on the Niflheim content with one large city like Tenebrae also being explorable, I think the amount the traversable world of XV would have been the perfect amount.

Also just to note FFXIII's sales were 48% higher than FFXII's launch sales

So FF12 sold around 896K in its first month

FF12 - 896K

FF13 - 1.3 Million

FF15 - 1.5 Million physical (1.8+ Million including digital)

Great numbers.

Impressive even considering the length of "development". This could have turned out to be a disaster but it still manage to garner favorable reviews and sell well commercially.

Congrats to Tabata and Co for a job well done. Now get to work on that Pro patch plz.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
It did have one eventually, like 3 or 4 years after launch.

I don't know about Xbox 360 but FFXIII never had a digital release for PS3, I just checked the web store and PSNow but it's not there.

It's entirely possible FFXV with digital did near 2 million units. That's absurdly impressive there is no way to downplay that

Also we know that SE shipped over 6 million .
So Japan and US should be near 3 million sold .
With the other 3 million+ for the rest of the world .
Should past FFXIII rather soon if not already .

Meowster

Good so including digital we are indeed looking at 1.8 Mill +

This is a massive increase over FFXIII and should pass XIII LTD in no time in USA

I am really surprised, I thought the hype wasn't as high as XIII had.

Yay for FF
The game didn't seem to have anywhere near as much promotion as XIII. That game had tons of commercials, huge billboards, and that NBA commercial with an ad campaign by Microsoft. I feel like there's been a lot of positive word of mouth for this one and that might account for some of it. But Versus XIII being the legend it was probably was promo enough for some.

It's entirely possible FFXV with digital did near 2 million units. That's absurdly impressive there is no way to downplay that
Not only possible, even likely

FF is a hardcore game, that male millennials play, because they grew up with the series.
A bigger than usual digital split is likely, imho. That demographic tends more towards digital downloads

This is not a game patents buy as christmas gift for kids, because kids these day dont really know FF.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Now as somebody who hasn't experience FF XV yet. Which do I start? The game, the movie or the anime? What's the order?

Top Bottom