• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD - FFXV experienced the best console launch month in franchise history

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Now as somebody who hasn't experience FF XV yet. Which do I start? The game, the movie or the anime? What's the order?

Movie -> Anime -> Game

LordKasual

Banned
Ditto. Even the most diehard fans could have not predicted this.

I did NOT expect this game to actually sell this well. I was expecting a moderately good launch, average reviews. But it actually reviewed decently and sold better than any other game in the franchise.

I doubt even Square Enix expected this game to sell this well. I recall Tabata having a plan for DLC, and then expanded it shortly after they found out that people actually bought the game.

This is a wonderful win for Square and a better win for the franchise. Lets just hope the DLC isn't as mediocre as the FFXIII-2 DLC was.

notacat

Great news to me, I really enjoyed it.

Hope this means Square's going to keep whoever they have that made the game so much fun.

I was a bit scared since GAF voted it as top 5 worst game of 2016, but this news is great, liked the game despite all its flaws.

Wha? It was voted top 5 worst game of 2016? WTF? Kinda blows my mind. I really enjoyed it (clocked in over 100 hours). It's not perfect, but still... lol

Well-deserved. My favorite game of all time. I can't wait for the Carnival to open. Haven't had much time to play the past couple of weeks, but I'll be relentless with the self-photographing feature.

Jeels

Damn, congrats to the team. I still haven't played it because I'm waiting for all the story improvements to be implemented but well deserved for the world ambition. I loved what I played up to chapter 3.

renzolama

Congratulations! What's really impressive is how they've been so quick to make good on their promises regarding performance patches and new content. You can really tell how grateful they are to all the players who purchased the game at launch. That PS4 Pro patch was amazing.

Pleasantly surprised in a bit of a mixed way. Not very fond of the game and nor am I very fond of the prospective direction SE may take for FFXVI after this, especially with Japan consigned further to apathy. But much respect to Tabata and team. I have choice words to say about the game's failings in my eyes, but the man stepped up to the plate, did the near impossible, has sustained and perhaps helped galvanise the franchise and it's paid off in the long run. He and Yoshi-P probably deserve their high pedestals.

Well-deserved. My favorite game of all time. I can't wait for the Carnival to open. Haven't had much time to play the past couple of weeks, but I'll be relentless with the self-photographing feature.
I forgot the carnival opens this upcoming Tuesday. Bah I'll have to put kh down for a couple hours

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Now as somebody who hasn't experience FF XV yet. Which do I start? The game, the movie or the anime? What's the order?

As a note, if you haven't started yet, you may wish to wait until they finished patching in all the additional features they're adding.

Great. Can we get a Steam release now?

And while you are at it, SE, can you make the older games like FFIII thru FFVIII available on Japanese Steam? :/

Halabane

Crap game, but never doubted it selling 5mil+ copies.

not so much crap as unfinished and boring. so little story, so many unimportant and unrelated side quests that made you drive or use the one button combat mash. the marketing department deserves full credit to have pushed that many units. good job marketing team. like an idiot I bought the season pass but unless something really amazing happens I am done. only thing I can defend myself with is I had a 20 buck coupon to burn before it expired.

heathen

Hopefully having VIIR as an action series for the next 10 years (lol) will still give XVI enough cover to do its own thing and not be crammed into a western AAA mold.

KoopaTheCasual

Question, as someone who has only played until the end of chapter 9 and had to stop, should i wait for the patch that's supposedly coming, or will that also add content before the point i'm at already?

Zesh

I'm conflicted about this. I'm happy that FF is doing well, but I don't like the direction they took with FFXV, and I don't want to see that being the template for the series going forward. Time will tell, I suppose.

HeelPower

When I reflect back on my experience,I realize it was really dreadful.I don't even know how I've put nearly 40 hours into.

The driving is so bad,quests and world navigation are tedium personified,terrible story and lore,brain dead waste of a combat system ,and yet I actually pre-ordered this thing.
This what attachment to the past & Nostalgia does to you,blinds your judgement.

AND YET,I am happy it did decent.Maybe the money it brings can help sustain development at SE so better games can be made.

120v

I'm conflicted about this. I'm happy that FF is doing well, but I don't like the direction they took with FFXV, and I don't want to see that being the template for the series going forward. Time will tell, I suppose.

it'll probably influence the series in a broad sense, like veering more towards a western market. but every game is so drastically different, i don't think there'll ever be a similar "approach"

Nameless

Yeaah. The last fucking thing I want to see is FFXV-2 , but that might just be the next FF after VIIR.

kswiston

That's pretty good. Judging from the large increase in revenue when they include digital as well, I think we might be looking at something close to 1.8-2 million in the first month?

I get the same range.

It seems like Square-Enix managed a pretty good sellthrough rate of those 6M shipped units. Actual sales in the US + Japan + UK + Germany already account for over half of that total.

Eh. Pretty mediocre game. Sales seem about right considering how much money they invested in marketing and promotional material.

I mean, taste is subjective, but either you have a narrow sampling of the generation or you are a crazy fanboy.

I could accept it as someone's game of the year, but game of the generation??

Edit: that was a jerky coment. Sorry Vinny. You do you.

For what it's worth, I play virtually every major title, and most of the more talked-about indie titles every year. So I've got a wide breadth of experience.

But yes, I absolutely am a fanboy. FF is my favorite series ever, and with XV, I just let myself soak in it. I didn't fast travel, I tried to make camp regularly, and played the game as it felt like it was meant to be played. I loved virtually every moment of it, and at least for me, when my main complaint is "I want more", that's a high mark.

As for the rest of the generation, Witcher 3 and Fallout 4 were big for me in 2015, but I liked this more than either of those. Dragon Age 3 was my GOTY in 2014, but again, I liked FFXV more. I can't recall much of note from PS4 in 2013.

Honestly the biggest surprise is FFXV outselling Gears 4 on Xbox one for December

LOL just how?
A lot of complaints I've read about Gears 4 was that it was more of the same. Though, to be fair, a lot of praise was essentially the same argument.

FFXV, on the other hand, changed quite a lot of the typical FF formula.

On topic, though. Glad to hear this did well for SE. I really enjoyed the game and I'm excited to see how they expand the story through expansions.

Tyaren

Honestly the biggest surprise is FFXV outselling Gears 4 on Xbox one for December

LOL just how?

My biggest suprise is it actually outselling Uncharted 4 on PS4.
Acording to the NPD statistics FFXV is among the top ten best selling games of 2016, while UC4 is not. FFXV sold more copies in 1 month than UC4 in 8. @__@

Full Year:
1) Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare (Activision Blizzard)
2) Battlefield 1 (EA)
3) Tom Clancy's The Division (Ubisoft)
4) NBA 2K17 (Take-Two)
5) Madden NFL 17 (EA)
6) Grand Theft Auto V (Take-Two)
7) Overwatch (Activision Blizzard)
8) Call of Duty: Black Ops III (Activision Blizzard)
9) FIFA 17 (EA)
10) Final Fantasy XV (Square Enix)

I hope this means Square Enix will not abandon the Xbox One ship, maybe we could actually get that 1.5+2.5 Remix Kingdom Hearts pack?
pls

kswiston

I hope this means Square Enix will abandon the Xbox One ship, maybe we could actually get that 1.5+2.5 Remix Kingdom Hearts pack?
pls

20-30% of 1.5M physical copies is a pretty large number of copies, and well worth a port.

20% of 200k copies probably isn't.

My biggest suprise is it actually outselling Uncharted 4 on PS4.
Acording to the NPD statistics FFXV is among the top ten best selling games of 2016, while UC4 is not. FFXV sold more copies in 1 month than UC4 in 8. @__@

Full Year:
1) Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare (Activision Blizzard)
2) Battlefield 1 (EA)
3) Tom Clancy’s The Division (Ubisoft)
4) NBA 2K17 (Take-Two)
5) Madden NFL 17 (EA)
6) Grand Theft Auto V (Take-Two)
7) Overwatch (Activision Blizzard)
8) Call of Duty: Black Ops III (Activision Blizzard)
9) FIFA 17 (EA)
10) Final Fantasy XV (Square Enix)

As said in the next thread .
UC4 does not have bundle or DD data.
Plus that list is by revenue not unit sales.

kswiston

As said in the next thread .
UC4 does not have bundle or DD data.
Plus that list is by revenue not unit sales.

UC4 bundle sales shouldn't be included with the software total. Especially through the holidays where nearly all of the PS4s were coming with UC4 in North America.

20-30% of 1.5M physical copies is a pretty large number of copies, and well worth a port.

20% of 200k copies probably isn't.

If we go by a 70\30 split in the US it would be around 450k so a okay number .
XB1 version most likely will be around 15% to 20% of that 6 million so well worth the port .

UC4 bundle sales shouldn't be included with the software total. Especially through the holidays where nearly all of the PS4s were coming with UC4 in North America.

True but i was just pointing that out in case.

+ that list ist multiplatform and includes xbox one sales

Multiplatform games outselling exclusives is rather normal.

Well as matt answer that question in the next thread .
So it's a moot point .

Also i know that multiplatform games outselling exclusives.
Still that chart for revenue and it would have none of UC4 DD money .

Either way FFXV did really good so everyone should be happy that main line FF will still be on consoles.

I am happy to hear that the game did well. It is on its pace to be the top 3 best selling FF behind VII and X. Impressive all things considered.

I am also glad we are finally going to see a brand new FF :D

kswiston

So we might as well not include bundles at all then.

NPD doesn't in their charts for that reason.

I can see a case made during launch month for big games. 8 months later when the bundle is the default SKU? No. Uncharted is not Wii Sports.

If we go by a 70\30 split in the US it would be around 450k so a okay number .
XB1 version most likely will be around 15% to 20% of that 6 million so well worth the port .

True but i was just pointing that out in case.

I meant the hypothetical Kingdom Hearts collection. 20-30% of that in the US (and less everywhere else) is probably not worth a port.

Loudninja

NPD doesn't in their charts for that reason.

I can see a case made during launch month for big games. 8 months later when the bundle is the default SKU? No. Uncharted is not Wii Sports.

I meant the hypothetical Kingdom Hearts collection. 20-30% of that in the US (and less everywhere else) is probably not worth a port.
Sorry bro read your post wrong :p

Top Bottom