• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD July 2011 Sales Results [Update 4: Wii And PS3 Hardware, 3DS/DS Relatives]

Xilium

statham said:
the fact these two are even compared tho, and in the US I say angry birds wins.
Maybe in game sales (which isn't hard to do when one is significantly cheaper than the other) but they aren't remotely comparable when it comes to merchandise and alternative media. I also doubt anyone will care about Angry Birds 5 years from now (and that's being generous).

jeremy1456

statham said:
if Vita is a dud as much as 3DS then cheech could be right. You guys hating on him, but andriod/Iphones has made a huge impact on gaming. pretend it hasn't but it has. look at angry birds for proof.

Different market, yo.

It's like saying "Free flash games are the future... look at how many people play them! PC gaming is going to die"

Amir0x

Banned
I do really hope that the tide of ever more shallow cheaptard games driven by the iOS' contemptible userbase dies at some point - that'd be the most painful way to see the game industry destroyed. Slowing torturing the game industry to death. Shooting its legs, arms, missing all vital organs. Grotesque. At least give the game industry the honor of a quick death.

DasRaven

2 comments:

1. Go Mortal Kombat!
2. I'm starting to feel like "the weird guy" for never playing Black Ops. Maybe I'll give it a try.

jeremy1456

Xilium said:
Maybe in game sales (which isn't hard to do when one is significantly cheaper than the other) but they aren't remotely comparable when it comes to merchandise and alternative media. I also doubt anyone will care about Angry Birds 5 years from now (and that's being generous).

Yeah, because they'll be playing the millionth re-packaged version of Angry Birds by then :p

But seriously, anyone who thinks mobile gaming is going to overtake handhelds is in for a serious wake up call in the coming months with the 3DS price drop and Mario Kart.

I can't imagine any person who routinely buys video game consoles/handhelds saying "I just downloaded 'insert generic mobile game here' now there's no reason to buy Mario!"

Erethian

Amir0x said:
I do really hope that the tide of ever more shallow cheaptard games driven by the iOS' contemptible userbase dies at some point - that'd be the most painful way to see the game industry destroyed. Slowing torturing the game industry to death. Shooting its legs, arms, missing all vital organs. Grotesque. At least give the game industry the honor of a quick death.

I don't think it's going to die, necessarily.

But for how long smartphone gaming has been around (not long) it still has a lot of change to go through.

BurntPork

Banned
DasRaven said:
2 comments:

1. Go Mortal Kombat!
2. I'm starting to feel like "the weird guy" for never playing Black Ops. Maybe I'll give it a try.
I don't recommend it. I almost never regret buying games, but that's an exception. Only get it if you can get it for less than $30; otherwise, wait for MW3.

So, we have hardware sales for everything except 3DS and PSP now, right? (And I still protest not putting DS sales there because of something Sony did four years ago.)

Amir0x said:
Looks like the PS3 really needs a price drop

To be fair, they were up YoY for a good chunk of this year so far. This is the first real sign of serious trouble for Sony. And I'm assuming a price drop has been in the works anyway.

DasRaven said:
2 comments:

1. Go Mortal Kombat!

It's not that weird. I haven't bought a COD game ever, and I haven't played one since the first Modern Warfare. If it's not for you, it's not for you.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Hey, wait a minute. Catherine came out on the 26th. That's 78K in 5 days. We can't call it bomba yet.

I'm a idiot.

jeremy1456

Amir0x said:

It won't happen until Apple loses the blindly loyal fanbase that it has which would rather die than accept that Apple has failed to make a proper gaming device and Google loses the "well I hate Apple so I will spite them by buying an Android phone and act like an Apple fan in pretending it's a legitimate game platform' groups.

Gravijah

BY2K said:
Hey, wait a minute. Catherine came out on the 26th. That's 78K in 5 days. We can't call it bomba yet.

I'm a idiot.

It's a niche game. I wouldn't call it a bomba even if it barely did more than that.

Frankfurt

Banned
Special J said:
well you have to remember that xbox numbers are inflated by the laptop promotion, but the no exclusives is just false and dumb. if you wanna say you dont like the games that are exclusive that's fine.

You get a PS3 when you buy a Vaio. You get another PS3 when you buy a Bravia.

radcliff

Wasn't the PC promotion that bolstered 360's sales in last month's NPD period also still in effect for at least part of this reporting period? If so, I wonder if the 3 consoles would have been really close without the effect of the promotion.

Road

jvm said:
Oh, I'm braindead. Thanks.
Note to self: Don't try to do this while the kids are still awake and running amok in my work area.

So installed base increased 34% and peripheral sales were up 18%. Did I get it right this time?
I think you did!

It happens to the best of us.

Curufinwe

Amir0x said:
Looks like the PS3 really needs a price drop

I think they need a $100 price drop to really galvanize sales, but how much money would Sony lose by selling PS3s in America for $200, only a pitiful 15,000 Yen at today's exchange rate?

jeremy1456 said:
I can't imagine any person who routinely buys video game consoles/handhelds saying "I just downloaded 'insert generic mobile game here' now there's no reason to buy Mario!"

This. I only know one smartphone owner who repeatedly buys iphone game. He's the only dude I know who has bought a 3ds. the people I know who are content with smartphones and do spend money on them were not buying consoles anyway. Unless we see a drastic change in the style of content provided on smartphones, they're not going to fill the same need as regular handhelds. If the 3ds never gets worthwhile content then it won't ever sell very well but it won't be smartphones' fault.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
PS3 am sad :-(

It really needs a $100 drop, $50 really isn't going to do much imo, still, pretty poor all round this month.

see5harp

Curufinwe said:
I think they need a $100 price drop to really galvanize sales, but how much money would Sony lose by selling PS3s in America for $200, only a pitiful 15,000 Yen at today's exchange rate?

I think you are probably right but I can't see them stomaching a loss on hardware this late in the game (unless we've got years before the next console cycle).

nickcv

well i guess this is the swan song for the DS family.

crazy leg for NSMB... i cannot wait to see how much will sell SMB3DL

and whoever thinks that iOS gaming will take over the industry is completely crazy.

watershed

Banned
What's causing the low ps3 sales? Is it just that Kinect has revitalized 360 sales while move hasn't been as much of a factor for the ps3? Is the ps3 just experiencing the natural decline of the console cycle like the wii?

Xilium

jeremy1456 said:
But seriously, anyone who thinks mobile gaming is going to overtake handhelds is in for a serious wake up call in the coming months with the 3DS price drop and Mario Kart.

I actually wouldn't be too surprised if we lost the Brain Age and Nintendogs crowd. I would expect the casuals that were brought in by Nintendo last/this gen with the Wii and DS to jump ship to smartphone gaming as those games are essentially what they want at a very low price. That's the crowd looking for "5 minute time-wasters".

At worst, I think we'll go back to Gameboy Advance/SP sales figures on handhelds. I highly doubt it will be that much of a drop though.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
allan-bh said:
$50 price cut really help PS3?
I think they need to go a full $100 and then start moving on quickly.

They're pretty much out of room to drop at that point given the types of parts they used.

nickcv

Xilium said:
I actually wouldn't be too surprised if we lost the Brain Age and Nintendogs crowd. I would expect the casuals that were brought in by Nintendo last/this gen with the Wii and DS to jump ship to smartphone gaming as those games are essentially what they want at a very low price. That's the crowd looking for "5 minute time-wasters".

At worst, I think we'll go back to Gameboy Advance/SP sales figures on handhelds. I highly doubt it will be that much of a drop though.

that could totally happen but it's way far from killing handhelds devices... people who think so are just delusional.

Gravijah

Nirolak said:
I think they need to go a full $100 and then start moving on quickly.

They're pretty much out of room to drop at that point given the types of parts they used.

No, damn it. I want a 99 dollar PS3. I don't want to spend 200-300 replacing my 80GB in the future! ;(

see5harp

Well on the bright side there are a ton of big name games coming out soon for both PS3 and 360. Sales can't really get any lower than this.

Xilium said:

Broaden your horizon, though. For every "brain age" player that now might be satisfied by their phone/iPad, you may have a brand new player who never really had regular access to a dedicated gaming system and is now perhaps a valid potential audience member for new games. My 57 year old mother is now a Drop 7 addict on her iPad, and if Nintendo comes out with a baller new puzzle game, she very well might be able to be sold on something. It's not all downside, especially when the whole pie gets bigger.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Isn't Sony also phasing out all the older models?

For that new power reduced version

Not trying to sound like an apologist

My friend called 7 Best Buys in the Boston area, all were "sold out" due to shipment of the new PS3's

This was like 2 weeks ago

Maybe that had a part in it?

kswiston

velvet_nitemare said:
Hopefully Catherine does better, need me some more HD Atlus games.

Europe will put the game over 500k (shipped) even if Catherine never sells through that initial 200k in North America. I am sure that Atlus is more than happy with 500k sales on a new IP. It's not like Catherine had a 20M budget.

Top Bottom