• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD July 2011 Sales Results [Update 4: Wii And PS3 Hardware, 3DS/DS Relatives]

statham said:
if Vita is a dud as much as 3DS then cheech could be right. You guys hating on him, but andriod/Iphones has made a huge impact on gaming. pretend it hasn't but it has. look at angry birds for proof.

I don't see too many gamers than took out from gaming to play Angry Birds.

What I see is a lot of people that 5 years ago were making sudokus or reading a book (or, maybe, Brain Training) playing Angry Birds.

Angry Birds sales (and don't forget that we're talking about a free Android game and a 0'99$ iPhone game) has the same impact in the game industry as Windows Solitaire and Minesweeper.

Huff

Banned
statham said:
if Vita is a dud as much as 3DS then cheech could be right. You guys hating on him, but andriod/Iphones has made a huge impact on gaming. pretend it hasn't but it has. look at angry birds for proof.

I think it was the Sony is doomed part that everyone found crazy. Not that iOS/andriod games haven't affected the market or that the Vita might not do that great.

statham

chubigans said:
Cheech is obviously joking, and I hope for your sake you are too.
for my sake? Am I going to die or something?!?! I think phones will kill portables. is that a crazy thought?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
statham said:
for my sake? Am I going to die or something?!?! I think phones will kill portables. is that a crazy thought?
"look at angry birds for proof." is a little crazy, yes.

Xilium

ZZMitch said:
Kind of late here, but there is no way Steam was worse, seeing as there was a crazy Steam Sale in July
That's kind of my issue with DD, is that everything is always on sale (or at least, that's when people actually buy stuff). Sure that leads to high numbers of purchases but it really begs the question of how much in profits are actually being made.

iOS is the same deal. Outside of the major million sellers like Angry Birds and the like (whom I feel are actually getting the bulk of their money from merchandising), are developers even making reasonable profits on the iOS store? I just can't see that market surviving on 99cent game sales.

Curufinwe

DangerousDave said:
And, about the revenue, a first party game get more money than a third party one, because there is no "console cut". For each copy that Capcom sell on PS3, they get less benefits than the ones that Sony get for a first party game. Because Capcom has to pay Sony for each game sold..

Remember when 1st party titles cost $10 less?

mxgt

Banned
statham said:
portables are dieing, android/iphone/Ipad/tablets is the future. don't be left behind, embrace the future.
Portable gaming without buttons is the future?

Do not want

Jomjom

Banned
statham said:
portables are dieing, android/iphone/Ipad/tablets is the future. don't be left behind, embrace the future.

Eww... ADD gaming, no thanks. That's fine for some people, but I still want full game experiences.

statham said:

There's a compelling logic there, anyone would admit, but how does that jive with the DS topping the charts?

statham

chubigans said:
"look at angry birds for proof." is a little crazy, yes.
looks at sales of angry birds. looks at clothing line, TV show, lunch boxes, notebooks.... yhea, not seeing a MGS lunch box recently, times have changed and these phone games are killing it. I'm in JC Penny of all places and they have angry bird shirts and key rings.

Magnus

Catherine's sales sadly don't surprise me at all. How do you even begin to describe the game to a customer that knows nothing about it without losing their interest in 5 seconds?

I mean, it's premise is fascinating to me (got a sale outta me), but it's just sooo niche. :(

Eusis

statham said:
looks at sales of angry birds. looks at clothing line, TV show, lunch boxes, notebooks.... yhea, not seeing a MGS lunch box recently, times have changed and these phone games are killing it.
... When was the last time you saw a lunch box for Inception? You'd probably stumble upon Toy Story ones easily enough.

At first I thought NSMB DS sales came from 3DS owners looking for something to play, but I guess when a seven-year-old Nintendo console is still selling ~300k units a month most of those new owners will default to a Mario title.

I noticed the red packaging a while ago but didn't figure it would amount to much. Bravo, Nintendo.

Wonder if they'll repackage SMG1/2 in a similar fashion.

Off-topic: Has anyone played SM64DS on a 3DS? How do the analog-thing controls work?

Leondexter said:
There's a compelling logic there, anyone would admit, but how does that jive with the DS topping the charts?
Hardware sales are only a small part of the picture. There was 700 million in total revenue and the 360 platform had 250 million of that. Pretty likely that was more than all of the portable revenue combined.

statham said:

Portable consoles will suffer, because they will probably lose part of their more casual market (the one that bough a DS for Brain Training, or a PSP for Invizimals) but there will be always a target for portables, if portable consoles keeps the buttons.

looks at sales of angry birds. looks at clothing line, TV show, lunch boxes, notebooks.... yhea, not seeing a MGS lunch box recently, times have changed and these phone games are killing it. I'm in JC Penny of all places and they have angry bird shirts and key rings.

One of the most played game of the 90's was Minesweeper. And Windows 95 didn't kill the console sales. There will be always people who won't change their Zelda or Killzone for Angry Birds.

I actually wouldn't put it past Sony to do a major price drop ($100) effective the beginning of September and then make a big holiday bundle with Uncharted 3 at roughly the same price. At the very least, $250. Numbers for the 360 are pretty good for a slower month...

I am comfortable with the Catherine numbers; pretty good for a very niche game. Mortal Kombat still holding in there is great to see... and Black Ops seriously just needs to die. If a game like that continues to sell gangbusters, than I think it will start to stifle creativity in the first person shooter genre (it has already begun, actually) because everyone is going to try and emulate the formula to replicate the success.

Tough to see the industry go through such a rough month... hopefully August can pick up. I know September, October, November and December will be great months, but August needs to start the momentum.

statham

Eusis said:
... When was the last time you saw a lunch box for Inception? You'd probably stumble upon Toy Story ones easily enough.
lunchbox_black_whitedotremoved_large_grande.jpg

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
jling84 said:
Eww... ADD gaming, no thanks. That's fine for some people, but I still want full game experiences.
There's no reason that we won't start to get those full game experiences on phones and tablets in the near future, but for me, the controls are still the issue.

Eusis

statham said:
No, my point is that MGS (assuming Metal Gear Solid) isn't the kind of property you make lunch boxes for, nor is merchandising essential to be successful. If you were to use that as a criteria then pretty much all mature movies are failures and things of the past, and that's clearly not the case.

Xilium

statham said:
That's only one game and Pokemon alone blows angry birds out of the water on all those fronts.

Jomjom

Banned
vatstep said:
There's no reason that we won't start to get those full game experiences on phones and tablets in the near future, but for me, the controls are still the issue.

When everyone is conditioned to expect $.99 pricing, I find it hard to believe we'll get a full game experience, say on the level of a full fledged Mario game, Final Fantasy, etc.

And yes I do want to play these kind of games on a handheld because I'm not always at home to play on my PS3 or PC.

kswiston

statham said:

Mario merchandising is a lot more ubiquitous than Angry birds will ever hope to be. Yet you seem to think people will stop buying Mario games in favour of 99 cent apps (of which the vast majority don't even make 6 digit dollar sales).

I agree that Vita will likely be Sony's last traditional handheld. However, they are already offering a 3G model. Its functionality could end up being very similar to a tablet. Just smaller.

Barrett2

Leondexter said:
Well, people kept buying VHS tapes for a few years after DVDs were on the market. For devices this pervasive, the trends take years to manifest in hard numbers, even though the writing is on the wall well in advance.

statham

Xilium said:
That's only one game and Pokemon alone blows angry birds out of the water on all those fronts.
the fact these two are even compared tho, and in the US I say angry birds wins.

Enosh said:
this won't drop out of the top 10 until november will it?
Maybe in october if continued sales of Gears, madden + forza, BF3, Rage, JD3, fifa,F1,Dark Soul, Batman, Nba, ReCollections, and maybe some 3ds title after price cut do some magic and kick it out of the charts

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
OuterWorldVoice said:
Stumpakapow's numbers on Reach are way off.

Good to hear. NPD numbers are hard to come by and I don't have a whole lot from 2010/2011, but I had it around 4.7ml LTD (4.4 million give or take by end of 2010, link is public top SKU ranking for 2010, September and October numbers are available in NPD threads). I guess a lot of sales this summer?

Or are you thinking worldwide shipments, which are obviously way above 5 million?

Horsemama1956 said:

Not even close (both around 3 million). This is US sales not worldwide shipments.

Danny 117 said:
Have MGS4/GT5 not crossed the 5m mark yet? I'd be surprised if they haven't.

MGS4 isn't at the 2 million mark (I have ~1.3 million circa end of 2009 and I don't think it's been in print, at least not heavily since then). Again US sales not WW shipments. GT5, similarly, isn't at the 2 million mark in the US.

Top Bottom