• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD March 2011 Sales Results [Update 2: Super Street Fighter IV 3D]

Rated-Rsuperstar said:

"Now that we're reporting on games at the title rather than SKU level, it's important to note several that sold well and would have made the top 10 on a SKU unit sales ranking basis. Those include Just Dance 2 on Wii, Killzone 3 on PS3, and Zumba Fitness on Wii."

Gotcha thanks, who reads the fine print in these reads? It's all about the top ten list! =P

3DS launch doesn't exist in a vacuum. Like the PS3, it's going to be compared to its massively popular predecessor. As long as it lags behind, it will be considered a relative sales disappointment. Saying there are "few games and a high price" isn't really an excuse, as these are two things that Nintendo had control over when launching the hardware.

Poimandres said:
So why exactly is the 360 selling so well?

I'm curious. Is it left over Kinect buzz? The price?

It plays Crysis, Call of Duty, Dragon Age, Lego Star Wars, NBA 2k, and Homefront I hear. Oh, and the price and Kinect.

Mrbob

MikeE21286 said:
Man, 3DS hardware I thought would have sold better. To me it shows pure apathy to the 3DS outside of the hardcore demographic
|

I dunno, 3DS seems to have a lot of apathy towards it within the hardcore demographic. Look at all the posts you read on gaf about the 3DS launch lineup being terrible.

zomgbbqftw said:
DS had nowhere near the hype of 3DS. It was seen largely as a spoiler for PSP.

The successor the most successful handheld of all time has failed to reach expectations.
From the OP press release: "The 3DS generated greater revenues than did the DS in its launch month in November 2004"

Elios83

So PS3 outsold Wii for the month. Luckily for them a Wii price cut is incoming.
But the claim that 3DS was their best launch in NA.........was a lie?

Kusagari

I think the biggest thing about the 3DS is what a gimmick it really is. Whether you like Kinect, Wii, etc or not the games all use there 'gimmicks' to the fullest. The 3D is worthless in everything but the AR Games and Face Raiders and Nintendo has admitted they won't be making 3D only games because some people can't handle the 3D.

Mrbob said:
I dunno, 3DS seems to have a lot of apathy towards it within the hardcore demographic. Look at all the posts you read on gaf about the 3DS launch lineup being terrible.

Yeah, it's coming from both sides.

Lots of people seem to be buying the console and finding out that it's not as good as they had hoped for (in terms of software and/or design/build)

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Elios83 said:
So PS3 outsold Wii for the month. Luckily for them a Wii price cut is incoming.
But the claim that 3DS was their best launch in NA.........was a lie?
Best Nintendo handheld launch day

Am I missing something here? ~400,000 sales in a 7 day period in march is bad? Some serious mental derangement going on in this thread.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
BlazingDarkness said:
I can't believe how fast Wii has fallen, it had so much momentum and it's just fallen from a great hight
I did the math once, approximately one in three households in the US owns a Wii. They may just be nearing the saturation point.

jman2050

Also I have no opinion on 3DS sales because it's one week.

I won't have any real idea what to think of it until near the end of this year.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Meant to post this here:

They release a new handheld while the previous one is stll killing the charts, but the Wii is slowly sinking and Super Wii is late 2012 (basically two years away)?

Nintendo is going to be fine either way, after all 290k is still a decent amount for March. ut after looking at Media Create and NPD, it seems like they should of been releasing a new home console last month instead of a new handheld.

NateDrake

Really want to see the sales figure for SSFIV 3DS. If 400k in hardware was sold I'm guessing at least 150k SFIV 3D were sold.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Igor Antunov said:
Am I missing something here? ~400,000 sales in a 7 day period in march is bad? Some serious mental derangement going on in this thread.

Expectations.

People expected it to sell better.

Mrbob

Kusagari said:
I think the biggest thing about the 3DS is what a gimmick it really is. Whether you like Kinect, Wii, etc or not the games all use there 'gimmicks' to the fullest. The 3D is worthless in everything but the AR Games and Face Raiders and Nintendo has admitted they won't be making 3D only games because some people can't handle the 3D.

I guess you can call it a gimmick, but I like the added depth the 3D brings. Sure it doesn't change the experience but it does enhance it.

If anything the AR stuff in the package is garbage (tried the cards once). I'll never use it again. But I'll pick up some more 3DS games in the future because the device gives me something I can't recreate on my HDTV or PC right now.

Elios83 said:
Oh launch DAY, thanks didn't know, I thought it was launch month.
Also keep in mind the revenue aspect. Selling 500K units of something at $150 in a week is great. Selling 400K of something at $250 is better.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Igor Antunov said:
With an initial shipment at least 1.5M it is bad. You'll see Iwata apologizing to investors in a few days.

rosjos44

zomgbbqftw said:
DS had nowhere near the hype of 3DS. It was seen largely as a spoiler for PSP.

The successor the most successful handheld of all time has failed to reach expectations.

First off no matter how successful it is, the money spending season is in november / december. You think Kids parents are going to purchase a 3DS in march with limited funds? Seriously people =/

Elios83

MattyGrovesOrMe said:
Also keep in mind the revenue aspect. Selling 500K units of something at $150 in a week is great. Selling 400K of something at $250 is better.

Fact is Iwata is in trouble if they shipped 1.5m units in the US at launch........next quarter will be really tough for them, explaining a big drop off in 3DS shipments to investors.
The launch was really bad compared to Nintendo's expectations.........basically they thought they could sell millions at launch at 250$ because of the DS name........deja vu XD

Dabanton said:
No wonder Nintendo leaked that Wii follow up story.

I called it!

MattyGrovesOrMe said:

Once you've added a single game it's pretty close, and you have 20% more userbase...

antonz

Elios83 said:
Fact is Iwata is in trouble if they shipped 1.5m units in the US at launch........next quarter will be really tough for them, explaining a big drop off in 3DS shipments to investors.
The launch was really bad compared to Nintendo's expectations.........basically they thought they could sell millions at launch at 250$ because of the DS name........deja vu XD
Next Quarter the games start coming out. Half of gaf who is dying for a 3DS refuses to buy it until things like Zelda etc come out. Not to mention the 3DS hasnt even been given a proper launch in the NA region yet. Nintendo basically sent it out and put it on shelves for average joe to stumble on.

Graphics Horse said:
I called it!

Once you've added a single game it's pretty close, and you have 20% more userbase...
They already stated the 3DS moved more software than the DS did at launch while selling less hardware

360 is certainly doing well, as Kinect and constant game releases keep both sides of the spectrum buying.

Wii is faltering because nothing is releasing on the system. DKCR did not have the staying power of NSMBWii. Definitely would be good for Nintendo to drop the Wii pricing in May, just before releasing Wii Play: Motion. That still leaves a poor April in its wake.

3DS succeeded to get Nintendo more profit this month than the DS, but matching DS will be a bit of a struggle. Without holiday sales and without Mario to push it further, it will probably be a bumpy road until the holiday season. By then, DS players will know that 3DS is NOT a new iteration of the DS.

Meanwhile, Pokemon sold gangbusters, and that definitely helped the DS sales.

I think that Nintendo may have done itself some harm releasing Pokemon within a month of 3DS's launch, but that was clearly done to get a "final" big boost of DS sales before going to the more expensive, potentially harder-to-sell device.

Super Street Fighter IVs sales dictate to me that the people buying it right now are of the "hardcore" persuasion, and until more casual and child-friendly products come out, the 3DS will be selling mostly to the hardcore fanbase.

April expectations: Portal 2 tops the charts. 360 top-selling console, perhaps even surpassing DS. 3DS will probably net about 200-300k, as word of mouth spreads post-launch. May will be worse for 3DS, but June should see the first large bump in sales thanks to Zelda and hopefully-advertised eShop stuff.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Dabanton said:
No wonder Nintendo leaked that Wii follow up story.

Yeah, it's pretty apparent now (if it wasn't before) that all those leaks are true.

Also, pretty satisfied at nearly 400,000 3DS' in a week, everything considered. If anything, this should give us a much scrappier Nintendo, and I like my Nintendo scrappy.

Sean

Banned
Seems like the Kinect/Move really hurt the Wii's momentum. Makes you wonder what this gen would look like had Microsoft and Sony released their motion control solutions sooner rather than being four years late.

Top Bottom