• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD November 2011 Sales Results [Update 7: Skyrim, CoD Wii, PC Retail Sales Up 57%]

GhaleonEB

Open world games are a really big but underserved market.

We have GTA, RDR, Assassin's Creed, Fallout, and Elder Scrolls all pulling huge numbers, but we still don't get that many major open world titles.

Open world games are an under served market, but open world RPGs are much more so. I think Skyrim's success is a bit more clear in that context. Between Oblivion and Skyrim I'm only aware of Fallout 3 and New Vegas as viable options since Oblivion, as a non-PC gamer and 360 owner. I'm guessing there are a lot of players in the same boat. I think catering to that specific market and doing it so well, (not to mention accruing a large fanfare from the series) are why we're seeing Skyrim do what hit has done.

I'm glad for the success, because it ensures that particular market will continue to be served, however infrequently. The barrier to entry in the genre is very steep, so even after Skyrim I'm not expecting that many more.

kswiston

it was selling at 60, it should have sold 4 times of this to have the same revenue at $15

Publisher cut at retail is something like 40%. Publisher cut for digital distribution is something like 70%. They would have had to sell 2-2.5 times as many copies on digital distribution.

it was selling at 60, it should have sold 4 times of this to have the same revenue at $15

Incorrect, their revenue isn't based on the retail price. They earn whatever the retailers pay them and on the digital side of things the platform holder takes a cut before paying the publisher for the game.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
50k for Rayman Origins.

Could have been more had they launched on Live.

You really think it would've sold close to 200k (50k@$60 = 200k@$15) on Live? No way.

I don't think it'd pull even 100k on LIVE, although we don't know if it would have been more profitable going DD

The sooner we get to a one console future the better.

Then I can enjoy going into threads for Sony games I'm looking forward to again.

would 'Sony games' still exist in your one console future? both from the perspective of 'would they be publishing games without a console to sell' and from the perspective of 'would they bankroll Ueda esque high budget creative risk prestige titles without a console to sell?'.

i'm guessing not. lets keep the current climate.

Publisher cut at retail is something like 40%. Publisher cut for digital distribution is something like 70%. They would have had to sell 2-2.5 times as many copies on digital distribution.

Incorrect, their revenue isn't based on the retail price. They earn whatever the retailers pay them and on the digital side of things the platform holder takes a cut before paying the publisher for the game.
I understand what you are trying to say, but where did you get those numbers from?

i dont get 0.9m November at all... when i checked Black Friday deals, PS3 regularly had worst deal out of bunch and lowest savings.

Wait, what? The $199 two-game bundle was great, I had like three co-workers who were planning on grabbing one. 360 certainly had an advantage in density of offers (there were great deals for a $140 bare-bones 360 as well as great deals for kitchen-sink bundles) but as far as I could tell the biggest issue with the PS3 deals was that the $199 system was understocked.

VerTiGo

Banned
It blows my mind that Call of Duty still sells well on the Wii. I love pointer controls for shooters, but I can understand how GoldenEye sold well last well last year, but Call of Duty? I guess there are a lot of Wii only households out there.

1-D_FTW

Wait, what? The $199 two-game bundle was great, I had like three co-workers who were planning on grabbing one. 360 certainly had an advantage in density of offers (there were great deals for a $140 bare-bones 360 as well as great deals for kitchen-sink bundles) but as far as I could tell the biggest issue with the PS3 deals was that the $199 system was understocked.

Agreed. Picked up that PS3 bundle and sold the 2 games on Ebay. That was a great price for what you're getting.

It blows my mind that Call of Duty still sells well on the Wii. I love pointer controls for shooters, but I can understand how GoldenEye sold well last well last year, but Call of Duty? I guess there are a lot of Wii only households out there.
Dude, it constitutes 1% of the total sale, how does this blow your mind? Maybe my sarcasm detector is broken...

Yeah, the PS3 deal was great. I finally bought one, along with some PS3 games I've really been wanting to play (Valkyria, Yakuza 3/4), so now I have all three current gen consoles.

kswiston

Did SSFIV launch in November too? I don't recall.

November doesn't boost all games. We still get plenty of flops in November.

Point is, I think the audience for these Ultimate/Super versions is largely limited to fighting game fans, and that Ultimate MvC3 did about the same numbers as Super SF4. Makes sense considering the vanilla editions had similar starts.

$40 is better than $60, but casual gamers can pick up vanilla MvC3 for $20 at this point.

kswiston

What about retail / distribution etc?

There have been plenty of leaks by developers outlining how much of a revenue share they get from digital distribution. 70% seems to be the common number if the game was self published. At least that has been the number I have seen associated with Steam and XBLA.

It is hard to find good info about publisher revenue share from retail products. An old IGN article estimated $16 revenue from (presumably) $50 after wholesale cut, platform licensing fees, manufacturing, shipping, advertising and return contingencies were taken out. I rounded up, since digital distribution can still have some advertising costs.

http://games.ign.com/articles/708/708972p1.html

There have also been pie charts posted with similar breakdowns in other articles.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

I bought one, great deal.

CaVaYeRo

miracomobaila_270391.jpg

(ES) trailer: http://www.gamereactor.es/noticias/4251/Mira+a+Mario+bailar+en+Just+Dance/

+1 million?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
You really think it would've sold close to 200k (50k@$60 = 200k@$15) on Live? No way.

I don't think it'd pull even 100k on LIVE, although we don't know if it would have been more profitable going DD
Ubi might actually take a loss if stores can return unsold stock for a refund. Then you have to account for the publisher cut, which isn't the full $60. It's less than half of that.

StevieP

Banned

Eh, I bought Modern Warfare and Blops both on PC and Wii (all at $40 or less). There is no debate in that the PC version is superior in every single way, but don't underestimate how much better the IR pointer is over dual-analog. Makes that game a lot more fun.

Speaking of CoD, I'm glad PC gamers didn't reward the bullshit that is MW3. I got burned by MW2 PC (MW, WaW and Blops were done right), so I'm glad I did my research this time.

I don't know if it ever gets talked about but the rentrak weekly top 10 this week is making it look like Nintendo is going to have a really good December. Be interesting to see how it changes in the last couple weeks leading up to Christmas

*Publicly traded tracking firm, chart is legit.

Edit-Going to put the list in this post, doesn't look like they save them on the site.
1 3DS Mario Kart 7
2 WII Just Dance 3
3 X360 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
4 3DS Super Mario 3D Land
5 PS3 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
6 WII The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
7 X360 The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
8 X360 Battlefield 3
9 X360 Madden NFL 12
10 3DS The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D

Which is insane considering how much HW is still being sold. The indsutry really has grown quite a bit this gen.

To be fair most of that is due to Nintendo grabbing the casual market. And when looking globally the industry has declined in many parts of Europe and Japan. Its mostly the United States that has had tremendous growth.

LOCK

I don't know if it ever gets talked about but the rentrak weekly top 10 this week is making it look like Nintendo is going to have a really good December. Be interesting to see how it changes in the last couple weeks leading up to Christmas

*Publicly traded tracking firm, chart is legit.

Should be an interesting comparison with NPD. Even without numbers it signifies trends.

Sonic is really hard to find around here on the 3ds, it's also not available on amazon.com and has not been for awhile, i'm not sure why they seemed to have shipped out a small amount.

Or just my area plus amazon, heh.

yeah I had to go across town to find sonic, and the person working at best buy said Sonic, MK7 and MK3DL were selling a lot

To be fair most of that is due to Nintendo grabbing the casual market.

The overall market growth has really been driven by the handheld market. On the console side i think the growth is being driven by the strong sales of all 3 consoles. Last gen 2nd and 3rd place sold less than 50 million combined. This gen the PS3 and 360 have both outsold the xbox and GC combined and are their sales are increasing even this late in the life span.

And when looking globally the industry has declined in many parts of Europe and Japan. Its mostly the United States that has had tremendous growth.

Are you only talking about home consoles here? Because if you include handhelds i don't think this is even remotely close to being true.

Rentrak top 10 for Dec 11-17
Things will change with the combined SKU chart but it's looking like we might actually see 3 3DS games in the top 10 for Dec NPD if the last 2 weeks are any indication. Top 10 is the same as last week with some of the places switched around.
1 WII Just Dance 3
2 X360 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
3 3DS Super Mario 3D Land
4 3DS Mario Kart 7
5 PS3 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
6 X360 The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
7 3DS The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
8 WII The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
9 X360 Madden NFL 12
10X360 Battlefield 3

To be fair most of that is due to Nintendo grabbing the casual market. And when looking globally the industry has declined in many parts of Europe and Japan. Its mostly the United States that has had tremendous growth.

I'm pretty sure 360+PS3+Wii > PS2+GC+XBOX in Europe (and the consoles have another year or more to go). Both GC and XBOX sold way under 10 million here. I don't have the exact shipments numbers ready, but PS3 and 360 should both be over 20 million each in Europe. Even though Wii sold much less than PS2, the total amount of consoles has increased.

Sorry for the off topic.

Top Bottom