• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD November 2011 Sales Results [Update 7: Skyrim, CoD Wii, PC Retail Sales Up 57%]

AniHawk

I don't know what the last three are, but holy shit Sonic bombed.

that was only like three days of sonic 3ds sales. if the 3ds actually becomes popular in the states, i think generations might wind up doing about as well as the last few handheld sonic games.

RagnarokX

$40 price tag and functional retardation in terms of release window from third parties on Nintendo Platforms...it's never gonna change.

Why did they wait until Mario? Why did they charge that $40 premium? Once third parties wrap their heads around those points, their software will flounder.

That being said, Sonic and Cave Story performed better than I thought they would.

I wouldn't buy that Sonic game on any platform. The game looks horrible and forces homing attack. Seriously, how does it look worse than a Dreamcast game?

Kusagari

Yeah I neglected the 3d part too. So it's only a huge bomba on 1 platform and probably only a regular bomba on the rest :p

I'm wondering if it actually is a bomba. We know it's 26th on the list. In November that could be over 100k, possibly 200k. Plus Sonic games usually have legs. See Sonic 06 somehow becoming a platinum hits game.

I think the games will do fine.

Ranger X

Plenty of variety in the games on Live in terms of both content and budget.

I actually don't recall a much major platformer game release with such high budget and high quality 2D this gen. So there is their "toe outside the line". AAA 2D games certainly won't happen more now.

I actually don't recall a much major platformer game release with such high budget and high quality 2D this gen. So there is their "toe outside the line". AAA 2D games certainly won't happen more now.

Good, the sooner publishers stop wasting money on games nobody wants to play then the sooner we can get to a point where most projects end up being successful. Once that happens the variety and risk taking will increase as the floor will be raised and companies no longer have to try and hit a home run every time just to survive.

Good, the sooner publishers stop wasting money on games nobody wants to play then the sooner we can get to a point where most projects end up being successful. Once that happens the variety and risk taking will increase as the floor will be raised and companies no longer have to try and hit a home run every time just to survive.
Yeah, fuck those guys taking creative risks and making interesting software! Hey, I have a design philosophy for those a-holes. I call it "lowest common denominator". Aim for that demographic and you'll never have to worry about "wasting money on games nobody wants to play", amirite?

fernoca

Though, under 20k for Sonic in just the 3DS is not "that bad" since it was released on Nov. 22 with little to no advertising (4 days of sales. The other versions were releeased on Nov. 1). Kinda wonder if the 3DS version could outsell the other ones.

Yeah, fuck those guys taking creative risks and making interesting software! Hey, I have a design philosophy for those a-holes. I call it "lowest common denominator". Aim for that demographic and you'll never have to worry about "wasting money on games nobody wants to play", amirite?

It would be nice if you could look at the entire discussion and read more than the first 13 words of my post before you start freaking out.

AniHawk

you're talking about rayman origins?

It would be nice if you could look at the entire discussion and read more than the first 13 words of my post before you start freaking out.

Well I've read the last few pages, and in fact I'm totally unclear if you last post makes sense. Can you clarify? Are you saying it would better for publishers to take fewer risks? I mean thats the science of game publishing - they THINK all these games will be successful but production is inexact, the market doesn't have an invisible hand.

I agree that retail $60, same week as Call of Duty, for what is clearly a niche game is absurd.

Well I've read the last few pages, and in fact I'm totally unclear if you last post makes sense. Can you clarify? Are you saying it would better for publishers to take fewer risks? I mean thats the science of game publishing - they THINK all these games will be successful but production is inexact, the market doesn't have an invisible hand.

I agree that retail $60, same week as Call of Duty, for what is clearly a niche game is absurd.
I want them to take risks on the development side and not on the publishing side. Spend money creating new and interesting content, just don't waste money trying to sell that content to a marketplace that doesn't want it.

AniHawk

I want them to take risks on the development side and not on the publishing side. Spend money creating new and interesting content, just don't waste money trying to sell that content to a marketplace that doesn't want it.

you're still talking about rayman origins?

that was only like three days of sonic 3ds sales. if the 3ds actually becomes popular in the states, i think generations might wind up doing about as well as the last few handheld sonic games.

Forgotten about the release date, so it's maybe not so bad. Sonic games tend to be leggy sellers on Nintendo systems, Colors on DS actually sold more in 2011 than it did in 2010 (and it's making it in the DS top 10 both years iirc).

Only Call of Duty I've played was Call of Duty 4, didn't like it, so I didn't continue the series.

But I was at a friend's house the other day and they were playing Black Ops Wii on like a 60" TV. It I didn't see him holding the Wii Remote & Nunchuck you could have told me he was playing the 360 or PS3 game and I wouldn't have argued. Looked much better than I expected.

Barrett2

Generally speaking, how is 3DS software selling?

We can assume things like Mario 3D or Mario Kart will do well, but what about the rest of the library?

qq more

Though, under 20k for Sonic in just the 3DS is not "that bad" since it was released on Nov. 22 with little to no advertising (4 days of sales. The other versions were releeased on Nov. 1). Kinda wonder if the 3DS version could outsell the other ones.

I hope not. The HD versions deserves better sales since the 3DS version is apparently shit.

Jvm's article in the new reduced style: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...ay_Cheer_From_November_Game_Sales.php?print=1

I miss that sales table comparison and the rainbow graph. RIP. It was still very informative.

So much for the "it's on 4 platforms!" excuse.

Only Call of Duty I've played was Call of Duty 4, didn't like it, so I didn't continue the series.

But I was at a friend's house the other day and they were playing Black Ops Wii on like a 60" TV. It I didn't see him holding the Wii Remote & Nunchuck you could have told me he was playing the 360 or PS3 game and I wouldn't have argued. Looked much better than I expected.

Well they run at around the same resolution so I'm not surprised.

jvm

Gamasutra.
From the cutting room floor, just for y'all.
ZTWcs.png

21mWH.png

G1Jp6.png

From the cutting room floor, just for y'all.
21mWH.png

Boy, it sure does look like the PS3 has a bit of an "upper limit" of demand. Even if you're charitable and give them 1.2 in december (which i don't think is all that likely), that's a pretty shallow uptick in units sold for the year.

Elios83

Boy, it sure does look like the PS3 has a bit of an "upper limit" of demand. Even if you're charitable and give them 1.2 in december (which i don't think is all that likely), that's a pretty shallow uptick in units sold for the year.

With 900k in November, 1.2m in December is charitable ? :D
1.5m is the minimum they're gonna do this year and it will be the first time they'll break the 5m units mark in a single year in the US.

Owzers

I bought Rayman Origins when it came out at Kmart, i did my duty and it still burned to the ground.

Outside of getting a great game, voting with my wallet ultimately didn't matter AT ALL.

[Nintex]

Random three d:

blue hedgehog < 20k
doukutsu story < 10k
ninja < 3k
acahl < 2k
Wow this is just.... sad ._.

I can't wrap my head around which game acahl refers to
Something Combat something something Legacy

I wonder what Ubisoft not scrapping AC3DS and turning it into Revelations could've done for 3DS this holiday season. A proper 'AAA high value yada yada third party exclusive' from a big and popular franchise could've turned some heads.

wrowa

I'll say it again:

'Holy Shit'

Is the blockbuster agenda seeping into handhelds? How are these sales so dysmal?

I don't think the sales are much worse than expected. Handheld games aren't hyped up by gamers nearly as much as most console games, so 20k for a few days of Sonic sales is actually not that bad, I think. It's not a game that appeals so much to the day 1 core gamer, so it probably will do rather fine over the holidays.

Cave Story and Shinobi simply are really low budget efforts that wouldn't have sold decently on any plattform in this state. Cave Story is undeniably a fantastic game, but releasing the remake ("Now with ugly 3D graphics instead of great pixel art!") of a once freeware game for full price was a huge mistake. Everyone who knows the game swallows hard when seeing the price tag, and people who don't know the game... why would they bother now?

And Shinobi is an ugly looking low budget effort which was stealth released by its publishers. There was absolutely no buzz at all around it. I haven't even seen reviews or anything. I don't even have a clue whether or not it's a good game.

I'll say it again:

'Holy Shit'

Is the blockbuster agenda seeping into handhelds? How are these sales so dysmal?

very small installed base. little advertisement. bad time to release them (Ace Combat just after the one on console... With almost the same name, lol). mediocre games (shinobi?). big games during the same month. Nintendo platforms tend to see longer sales.

Ace Combat is unfathomable though. That appeared to have decent reviews and production values yet it's the biggest bomb this month.

it looks like a half-assed spinoff on the shelf. until i paid attention to the thread here i had no idea it was either 1. a remake of AC2 or 2. actually good. it doesn't surprise me that it did as badly as it did.

Sonic launching after Mario was goddamn stupid, in my opinion.

20 days was not going to make a difference to the game's quality, it should have either released alongside the HD versions or slightly before it.

yurinka

Still expensive for the mass market, unlike the others still have several pricecuts to come, so a longer life. And they still have to kill the PS2!

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
3DS software in general seems to be doing pretty poor worldwide excluding Zelda and Mario.

Makes me wonder if third parties will risk getting burned again.

goldenpp72

Sonic is really hard to find around here on the 3ds, it's also not available on amazon.com and has not been for awhile, i'm not sure why they seemed to have shipped out a small amount.

Or just my area plus amazon, heh.

Top Bottom