• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For April 2017 [Up: Sony and Microsoft now sharing digital numbers]

Oregano

I think he means that more from nintendo profit and install base growth stand point .
The Wii and DS days nintendo was making huge amount of cash on both .
That gen they sold 251 million plus units of hardware combine
The gen after that they sold near 80 million plus combine .
Now we have the Switch so if they not doing both home consoles and handhelds any more they losing profit and could be losing fans .

Okay but Nintendo has mobile game as well now that are reaching more people than they ever have in the past.

Okay but Nintendo has mobile game as well now that are reaching more people than they ever have in the past.

Sure but i only talking from a hardware stand point .
I am sure Nintendo going to make a killing on mobile and even more so in the future with it.
The question is how much hardware are they going to sell compare to before.
Nintendo will always make money one way are the other there IPs are big and will sell no matter the platform .

Oregano

I am sure Nintendo going to make a killing on mobile and even more so in the future with it.
The question is how much hardware are they going to sell.
Nintendo will always make money one way are the other there IPs are way to big and will sell not matter the platform .

I think it's immaterial in the end. Nintendo is going from DS&Wii->3DS&WiiU->Switch&Mobile and I don't see how it makes any real difference.

Sony and Microsoft are also likely to sell less hardware this gen than last by the way.

The question is how much hardware are they going to sell compare to before.
Nintendo will always make money one way are the other there IPs are big and will sell no matter the platform .

Nintendo are also venturing into other types of entertainment like the amusement park at Universal. I wouldn't be surprised if they start to use their own ips and venture into animation.

Although Hardware is their main source of revenue it still isn't their only one.

I think he means that more from nintendo profit and install base growth stand point .
The Wii and DS days nintendo was making huge amount of cash on both .
That gen they sold 251 million plus units of hardware combine
The gen after that they sold near 80 million plus combine .
Now we have the Switch so if they not doing both home consoles and handhelds any more they losing profit and could be losing fans .

EDIT was checking software sales Wii and DS sold over 1.8 billion units in software WW which is crazy lol .

The switch had the potential to sell as much as the 3DS and wii U combined so hopefully they won't be losing much in the HW front this gen. SW sales wise the wii U and 3DS both performed poorly so I'm confident the switch can out perform them.

They won't match the DS/wii combo ever again but no one in the dedicated market will. That generation in general will never be matched. The DS/PSP/PS3/360/wii moved something like 500+ million pieces of HW. This generation won't even come within sniffing distance of that.

I think if Nintendo can keep there HW selling 50-100 million and supplementing that with mobile and other sources (like merchandise, theme park attractions, movies etc) then they'll be more than fine.

Maybe not quite at their DS/wii level but that's a massively high bar.

I think it's immaterial in the end. Nintendo is going from DS&Wii->3DS&WiiU->Switch&Mobile and I don't see how it makes any real difference.

Sony and Microsoft are also likely to sell less hardware this gen than last by the way.

Selling less hardware can mean less money but of course that also depend on other factors.
But having your own hardware you not giving up 30% , licensing fees for disc and DD sales, subscription service ( i expect companies to branch out even more from there own hardware ) etc etc .
Also i think Sony is only company that going to sell more hardware this gen even if you add Vita to PS3 numbers.
It going to be interesting to see where Nintendo goes from a hardware stand point depending on switch sales .

Oregano

Selling less hardware can mean less money but of course that also depend on other factors.
But having your own hardware mean not giving up 30% , licensing fees, subscription service ( i expect companies branch out even more from there hardware ) etc etc .
Also i think Sony is only company that going to sell more hardware this gen even if you add Vita to PS3 numbers.

Why would Vita be added to PS3?

It's PSP and PS3 vs PSV and PS4.

Wait, really? Is this sarcasm?

Found it. It was actually the entirety of 2014, which makes it worse.

December 2014 NPD thread

Basically, Nintendo in their press release announced that 16 3DS titles had sold more than 250K units for the year, and then also said that they had the top 15 titles of the year were all on the 3DS. So we figured that meant a Vita game had sold over 250K and and made the list at #16. Turned out it was the Frozen DS game instead.

donny2112

As someone who greatly uses BC on various systems and laments the (often reasonable) exclusion of the feature, BlOps2's performance is a great thing to see!

paulogy

1. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe*
    [*]Persona 5*
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild*
    [*]MLB 17: The Show
  3. Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands**
  4. Grand Theft Auto V***
  5. Mass Effect: Andromeda**
  6. NBA 2K17
  7. Overwatch**
  8. Call of Duty: Black Ops II (Yes, Black Ops 2, from 2012.)
  9. Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
    [*]Horizon Zero Dawn
  10. Lego City Undercover
    [*]Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 + 2.5 Remix
  11. Lego Worlds
  12. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege**
  13. Battlefield 1**
  14. For Honor**
    [*]Nier: Automata
  15. Minecraft

Wow, big month for PlayStation with all those exclusives placing in the top 20. 4 of 5 are single-player games too.

Mory Dunz

Since it's top 20, I wonder what games are just missing the cut.

would pokemon be on it if they were combined? If the NPD guys are allowed to answer that.

I think he means that more from nintendo profit and install base growth stand point.

Well, I mean that's what earnings reports are for. And those are freely available.

Could also read Dan Ahmad's Nintendo primer to get started, and then go straight to Nintendo's own income statements.

I meant compared to the March top 20 chart, where we had a large number of very big titles in the top 20 that might have pushed the revenue needed to enter the top 20 higher than it is for this April chart.

Hmmm... seasonal variability is a thing that impacts all moths. Getting on the top 20 for November usually takes more than January kind of thing. So, not sure it's the best way to compare? I get what you're asking though. And March and April are far more similar than Jan and Nov, but it's not quite an apples to apples comparison. I get that you're trying to figure out just how well it's doing. It's performing above my own personal expectations, but that's still qualitative and doesn't help.

What does the trailing 12 months chart look like?

Which chart do you mean?

Hardware as a whole is up YoY, is every current platform up YoY?

No. But in the 5th calendar year of existence they shouldn't be. Both big boxes were down in 2016 versus prior year, showing very normal mid-cycle dynamics. Nothing's changed that would reverse that so far this year. Maybe Scorpio and a 2nd holiday of Pro will help? I don't know for certain.

are there signs that we might be on a plateau, perhaps indicating a slightly extended generation? Or are we on a clear downslope after the peak, with prospects of hardware refreshes within the next 2-3 years?

I don't see any reason to believe we'll have an extended cycle like we saw with what Guitar Hero/Rock Band and motion control helped the PS3/360 gen to achieve. I forecast PS5 and some new Xbox offering in 2020, although 2019 wouldn't be a huge surprise.

Welfare

Which chart do you mean?

This one from March, but for this month, so May 2016 - April 2017.

Trailing 12 Months (April 2016 - March 2017):
Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare (Activision Blizzard)
Battlefield 1 (Electronic Arts)
NBA 2K17 (Take-Two)
Madden NFL 17 (Electronic Arts)
Grand Theft Auto V (Take-Two)
Overwatch (Activision Blizzard)
FIFA 17 (Electronic Arts)
Final Fantasy XV (Square Enix)
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands (Ubisoft)
Dark Souls 3 (Bandai Namco)

This one from March, but for this month.

Trailing 12 Months (April 2016 - March 2017):
Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare (Activision Blizzard)
Battlefield 1 (Electronic Arts)
NBA 2K17 (Take-Two)
Madden NFL 17 (Electronic Arts)
Grand Theft Auto V (Take-Two)
Overwatch (Activision Blizzard)
FIFA 17 (Electronic Arts)
Final Fantasy XV (Square Enix)
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands (Ubisoft)
Dark Souls 3 (Bandai Namco)

12 Months ending April 2017
Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare Activision Blizzard
Battlefield 1 Electronic Arts
NBA 2K17 Take 2 Interactive
Madden NFL 17 Electronic Arts
Overwatch^ Activision Blizzard
Grand Theft Auto V Take 2 Interactive
FIFA 17 Electronic Arts
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands Ubisoft
Final Fantasy XV Square Enix Inc
For Honor Ubisoft

Remember Blizzard Launcher/Battle.net sales for Overwatch are not included.

No, it's on PC. Oh, wait you're trying to say its only on PS4 and not Xbox?
The term console exclusive doesn't really do a good job sounding like what it is but it's taken to mean that it is exclusive to only one specific console or console platform, while also appearing on PC

Welfare

12 Months ending April 2017
Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare Activision Blizzard
Battlefield 1 Electronic Arts
NBA 2K17 Take 2 Interactive
Madden NFL 17 Electronic Arts
Overwatch^ Activision Blizzard
Grand Theft Auto V Take 2 Interactive
FIFA 17 Electronic Arts
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands Ubisoft
Final Fantasy XV Square Enix Inc
For Honor Ubisoft

Remember Blizzard Launcher/Battle.net sales for Overwatch are not included.
Thanks!

No. But in the 5th calendar year of existence they shouldn't be. Both big boxes were down in 2016 versus prior year, showing very normal mid-cycle dynamics. Nothing's changed that would reverse that so far this year. Maybe Scorpio and a 2nd holiday of Pro will help? I don't know for certain.

PS4 January - April 2016: 1,140,000
Xbox One January - April 2016: 789,000

Yeah, that looks right given what we know of high February and March sales for PS4, it is basically impossible for it to be down YoY YTD this month, and XB1 didn't sell enough this month to be up YoY YTD

I'd guess XB1 is ~5% down and PS4 up 5%.

The term console exclusive doesn't really do a good job sounding like what it is but it's taken to mean that it is exclusive to only one specific console or console platform, while also appearing on PC

It's always been a terrible term. Wish the industry could come up with a better way to reference this type of thing. Or make it go away lol.

I don't see any reason to believe we'll have an extended cycle like we saw with what Guitar Hero/Rock Band and motion control helped the PS3/360 gen to achieve. I forecast PS5 and some new Xbox offering in 2020, although 2019 wouldn't be a huge surprise.

Do you really see Sony riding PS4 Pro until 2020? I don't think they'll let Xbox Scorpio be the significant power leader for that long. PS5 in 2019, PS5 Pro in 2022 IMO.

It's always been a terrible term. Wish the industry could come up with a better way to reference this type of thing. Or make it go away lol.
the term itself is pretty terrible but its meaning is relevant. for people who like to play games solely on consoles, the PC platform is just part of a complementary market, so it doesn't affect their platforms of choice in terms of exclusivity
No such term is needed imo. If it's on PC as well, it's not exclusive. End of.
not true. if i have either a Ps4 or an Xbone, and I learn that a game is available on only one of the consoles but also on PC, it might as well be exclusive to that one console for me since I'm not part of the PC gaming community

Thanks!

PS4 January - April 2016: 1,140,000
Xbox One January - April 2016: 789,000

Yeah, that looks right given what we know of high February and March sales for PS4, it is basically impossible for it to be down YoY YTD this month, and XB1 didn't sell enough this month to be up YoY YTD

I'd guess XB1 is ~5% down and PS4 up 5%.

edit: nvm you talking about YTD

Curufinwe

Do you really see Sony riding PS4 Pro until 2020? I don't think they'll let Xbox Scorpio be the significant power leader for that long. PS5 in 2019, PS5 Pro in 2022 IMO.

Sony doesn't give a fuck about the power leader because it doesn't matter. They already won this generation and the Xbox brand is only competition in a few markets. They'll release the PS5 when the tech is ready at the right price.

that depends. Sony had no problem letting the OG Xbox be the significant power leader during the 6th gen, as Ps2 just had so much 3rd party software support. If the Ps4 platform continues to get the same support Sony gets, Scorpio being the powerhouse may not be enough to put a dent in Ps4 sales

Um...MLB the show always came around 5th-6th when they were ranking charts by units sold. It's not very surprising that it would come 4th in its debut month when measuring by revenue generated. Specially when Sony has started sharing digital data.

MLB debuted in March and charted in March, which makes it's April numbers even more impressive.

the term itself is pretty terrible but its meaning is relevant. for people who like to play games solely on consoles, the PC platform is just part of a complementary market, so it doesn't affect their platforms of choice in terms of exclusivitynot true. if i have either a Ps4 or an Xbone, and I learn that a game is available on only one of the consoles but also on PC, it might as well be exclusive to that one console for me since I'm not part of the PC gaming community

I don't know, I guess I just find it hard to really grasp that as someone who is a PC and console gamer. I get that there are people who don't game on PCs, but there are people (console gamers) who will never game on Playstation, or on XBOX, or on Nintendo. And yeh I get that consoles are consoles and a PC is a PC, so that's not really the same thing, but the distinction just doesn't really exist in my head. They are all platforms on which to play the same/similar games. Just the way I see it, but I accept I am largely in the minority here.

I don't know, I guess I just find it hard to really grasp that as someone who is a PC and console gamer. I get that there are people who don't game on PCs, but there are people (console gamers) who will never game on Playstation, or on XBOX, or on Nintendo. And yeh I get that consoles are consoles and a PC is a PC, so that's not really the same thing, but the distinction just doesn't really exist in my head. They are all platforms on which to play the same/similar games. Just the way I see it, but I accept I am largely in the minority here.
well, I understand what you're saying. And that's fair for someone who plays on PC and on consoles.

But you have to admit that playing on a console no matter the console, and being part of the PC community are pretty different investments. Consoles arguably are still plug in play, but you need to have way more knowledge going PC.

that depends. Sony had no problem letting the OG Xbox be the significant power leader during the 6th gen, as Ps2 just had so much 3rd party software support. If the Ps4 platform continues to get the same support Sony gets, Scorpio being the powerhouse may not be enough to put a dent in Ps4 sales

Agree 100%

not true. if i have either a Ps4 or an Xbone, and I learn that a game is available on only one of the consoles but also on PC, it might as well be exclusive to that one console for me since I'm not part of the PC gaming community

Why does it matter to you, though? Why do we need a term for it?

If something is on PS4/PC, it's on PS4/PC. Whether it's a "console exclusive" or not is meaningless. Just as if you don't have an Xbox, whether an Xbox version exists or not is meaningless to you. With no PC, Nier Automota can only be played on the PS4, but if you don't own an Xbox, then there are plenty of games that are only playable on the PS4, too. All that really matters is where the games are available.

The "console exclusive" term is just something that major corporations made up to make things sound more impressive to their system, and then used primarily by corporate cheerleaders who draw in a weird amount of pleasure from seeing one multi-billion dollar corporation do better than another one.

the term itself is pretty terrible but its meaning is relevant. for people who like to play games solely on consoles, the PC platform is just part of a complementary market, so it doesn't affect their platforms of choice in terms of exclusivitynot true. if i have either a Ps4 or an Xbone, and I learn that a game is available on only one of the consoles but also on PC, it might as well be exclusive to that one console for me since I'm not part of the PC gaming community

so when i have either a Xb1 or PC, Read Dead Redemption 2 is an Xbox exclusive, because i'm not part of the Playstation gaming community?

Agree 100%
yep. just my opinion though. this could easily go the other way.
Why does it matter to you, though? Why do we need a term for it?

If something is on PS4/PC, it's on PS4/PC. Whether it's a "console exclusive" or not is meaningless. Just as if you don't have an Xbox, whether an Xbox version exists or not is meaningless to you. With no PC, Nier Automota can only be played on the PS4, but if you don't own an Xbox, then there are plenty of games that are only playable on the PS4, too. All that really matters is where the games are available.

The "console exclusive" term is just something that major corporations made up to make things sound more impressive to their system, and then used primarily by corporate cheerleaders who draw in a weird amount of pleasure from seeing one multi-billion dollar corporation do better than another one.
it's just about awareness really. if you own a certain console and want to be aware of the exclusives, in my opinion it's important to be aware of the console exclusives too - for reasons I already stated, but I understand what you're saying though. Your mindset is one that doesn't differentiate PC vs. consoles, you gauge all platforms equally. I equate playstation with xbox but PC is a whole nother beast of a platform in my opinion.
so when i have either a Xb1 or PC, Read Dead Redemption 2 is an Xbox exclusive, because i'm not part of the Playstation gaming community?
if redemption 2 wasn't announced on Ps4 then yes, it'd be a console exclusive on Xbone. Although in reality it is not, so I'm not sure what you're saying?

Digital on WiiU lol
Japan 100k, US - 200k....you're looking at <600k WW, for an RPG of that scope, thats a bomb.

I just want to point out that Xenoblade Chronicles X did over 200k in its first month alone in the US, which is a really good result. It has probably at least doubled that amount since considering how games typically sell in the US.

Top Bottom