• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For April 2017 [Up: Sony and Microsoft now sharing digital numbers]

Welfare

How would he get digital estimates? Did Atlus provide info?

More like 450k =/ over 450k

The numbers he's posted for the past few months include digital. Also seeing Mat's comment, either Harker is personally estimating digital sales and posting that or he has data outside of NPD to get that 450K total.

Kusagari

Okay, that 450k including digital makes way more sense.

Persona being at possibly 600k+ combined first month would have been insane.

I know it was a holiday month, hence my comment. Even with your own findings, it's rare for any non-major JRPG to put up numbers like that.

I have a hard time believing that Persona is the next big JRPG franchise for one reason and for one reason alone: the infrequency of releases will make it really, really hard for it to get that much mindshare compared to the others. Final Fantasy and Pokémon speak for themselves on that front, and say what you will about Kingdom Hearts, but in the time between Persona 4 and Persona 5, it had two mainline releases and a few remasters to keep interest levels up. Fire Emblem is in a much better position to take that crown thanks to that aspect, and even then, it's going to have a tough enough time to reach Mario RPG levels of acceptance.

You rarely see JRPG's release during the holiday but XCX opening along with LTD not changing much (alongside mediocre Japanese sales) resulted in that.

Evidently Persona 5 is. And you're joking right? There have been and I'm sure will be several other Persona games coming (apart from P6). Furthermore that P4 -> P5 gap only happened due to engine troubles, to which Catherine was also released for.

Eh, FE:F and FE:A have LTDs < 2 million. Persona 5 is going to surpass both pretty easily.
Most recent Paper Mario and Mario RPG sold < 2million as well.

The numbers he's posted for the past few months include digital. Also seeing Mat's comment, either Harker is personally estimating digital sales and posting that or he has data outside of NPD to get that 450K total.

Maybe the two might not be contradicting each other:
Perhaps Harker was saying its near 450k, while Matt confirmed its less than 450k?

Ridley327

You rarely see JRPG's release during the holiday but XCX opening along with LTD not changing much (alongside mediocre Japanese sales) resulted in that.

Evidently Persona 5 is. And you're joking right? There have been and I'm sure will be several other Persona games coming (apart from P6). Furthermore that P4 -> P5 gap only happened due to engine troubles, to which Catherine was also released for.

Eh, FE:F and FE:A have LTDs < 2 million. Persona 5 is going to surpass both pretty easily.
Most recent Paper Mario and Mario RPG sold < 2million as well.
We've got the Persona team working on a completely new IP now. Who knows how far off P6 is, or hell, even the usual upgraded version of the current game.

Persona 5 did great, no mistake about that all. I'm just saying that expecting Persona to become the new Elder Scrolls because of that is a bit foolish.

We've got the Persona team working on a completely new IP now. Who knows how far off P6 is, or hell, even the usual upgraded version of the current game.

Persona 5 did great, no mistake about that all. I'm just saying that expecting Persona to become the new Elder Scrolls because of that is a bit foolish.

Dude no one said. Stop exaggerating. P5 has simply reached closer to KH/FF than any other traditional JRPG has in a long time.

Pokemon is not considered a jrpg series by some console warriors for some reasons
And the whole general / casual gaming crowd.
Pokemom is Pokemon.

Many also don't put souls games in the cassic jrpg genre. That has nothing to do with being a console warrior. Just different perception and defintion of JRPGS

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I'm now sort of interested in EA's position to put ME on ice when Andromeda is still the number 5 selling title of the year despite negative reviews and a stronger than average first qtr. I never thought the franchise itself was in danger of dying, more that if Andromeda was going to be the series of this generation, now it was in serious doubt. I guess even despite the sales, it didn't hit what they expected and whatever tail they hoped it would have was killed by the negative WOM

Hero

When a huge number of those are ports of games that are already released, it's not hard to see the reason.

Do you think things are going to get better or worse for Japanese releases in the next few years for Switch? Do you think things are going to get better or worse for Xbox One?

Welfare

Pokemom is Pokemon.

Many also don't put souls games in the cassic jrpg genre. That has nothing to do with being a console warrior. Just different perception and defintion of JRPGS
Pokemon is a JRPG. That's like saying Call of Duty isn't a FPS, it's just Call of Duty.

Pokemon is a JRPG. That's like saying Call of Duty isn't a FPS, it's just Call of Duty.

Fair enough. Doesn't change the fact many still don't put it in that category. No one is doing that for final fantasy or other "real" JRPGs
There is a reason this discussion exist. Seems like people don't agree on it.

Maybe JRPG itself is not a well defined genere as i never see a controversy about shooter, sport, racing, fighting, action or even WRPG games.

That's why i often make the distinction between classic JRPG and non classic / "western" JRPG.

Fair enough. Doesn't change the fact many still don't put it in that category. No one is doing thay for final fantasy or other "real" JRPGs

Maybe JRPG itself is not a well defined genere as i never see a controversy about shooter, sport, racing, fighting, action or even WRPG games.

Many people forget about Nintendo when they talk about Japanese games and how so many are bad, yet they forget Nintendo is Japanese and how good they are. I guess the discussion exist for a reason if Nintendo is Japanese or not...

watershed

Banned
I didn't even realize the NES Classic was back in stock enough to take the #2 hardware spot. I literally have never seen one in person in any store, anywhere.

Pokemom is Pokemon.

That is a testament to Pokemons brand power.

In the same way GTA and COD clearly fit into certain genres, but the public thinks of them and talks about them by name instead of associating them with a particular genre. It doesn't mean they are outside of genre definitions, it just makes them the defining statement from their particular genre with the public at large.

Dueck

Banned
Black Ops 2 is proof that giving people what they want, in this case backwards compatibility, is a profitable endeavour. It's not making that list when rented over a streaming service.

I don't know what's better, it charting top 10 or it charting higher than infinite warfare.. LOL

BLOPS 2 charting over IW on solely backwards compatibility is something that should go down in gaming history.

Also, wtf @ NES Classic

Nintendo y u do dis

Pokemom is Pokemon.

Had there been a poll or something on this? How do you know what the 'general/casual' gamers view Pokemon as. In my experience people who fit that broad category don't really worry all that much about genres at all for Pokemon or any other game. It's only on forums like this we're this is even an issue so that's the only thing worth discussing.

How is souls a remotely similar situation? Pokemon is exactly like an old school JRPG. Souls is a totally different game.

I might actually buy that this argument was genuine if it wasn't being made by a poster with a pretty clear anti Nintendo pro Sony bias (not referring to you).

Fair enough. Doesn't change the fact many still don't put it in that category. No one is doing thay for final fantasy or other "real" JRPGs

Ive seen this argument over many genres though it seems to target Nintendo games the most.

Mario kart - isn't a proper racing game
Smash bros - isn't a traditional fighting game
Wii sports - isn't a sports game it's a party game

There are plenty of other examples as well.

Many people forget about Nintendo when they talk about Japanese games and how so many are bad, yet they forget Nintendo is Japanese and how good they are. I guess the discussion exist for a reason if Nintendo is Japanese or not...

Nintendonis always treated as this weird outlier for gaming sales. When discussing the strength of Japanese devs they aren't taken into account. Sales of of the wii don't count because casual gamers.

When it comes to discussing sales potential of various genres Nintendos sales are just outliers. When judging the sales potential of 2D and 3D platformers you have to ignore Nintendos games. When judging the sales potential of fighting games you have to ignore smash bros. When judging the sales potential of racers you have to ignore Mario kart. Nintendo seems to just be shoved into their own pile when it comes to many discussions.

Kusagari

Fair enough. Doesn't change the fact many still don't put it in that category. No one is doing that for final fantasy or other "real" JRPGs

That's why i often make the distinction between classic JRPG and non classic / "western" JRPG.

It's ludicrous because Pokemon is as classic as you can get for a JRPG. It's far more of a classic JRPG than Kingdom Hearts, Tales, etc.

Nintendonis always treated as this weird outlier for gaming sales. When discussing the strength of Japanese devs they aren't taken into account. Sales of of the wii don't count because casual gamers.

When it comes to discussing sales potential of various genres Nintendos sales are just outliers. When judging the sales potential of 2D and 3D platformers you have to ignore Nintendos games. When judging the sales potential of fighting games you have to ignore smash bros. When judging the sales potential of racers you have to ignore Mario kart. Nintendo seems to just be shoved into their own pile when it comes to many discussions.

This post is spot-on.

The fact that we're even entertaining the notion that Pokemon isn't a JRPG is absolutely hilarious.

Even tho this is an ironic post, it perfectly explains the situation

We got info from them this way: no PSVITA game out performed the 3DS' top ten. And may actually be worse than that, to be honest.

I wouldn't at all be surprised if they did a top 20 and there still wasn't a single Vita game. Its fans are loyal, but they are very small in number. Combine that with the virtually non-existent retail presence and you've got yourself a bad situation.

I think it was either last year or two years ago that one of the insiders talked about the highest selling portable games at the time, and the DS Frozen game had outsold every Vita game for that time period (they basically said that 19 out of the top 20 games were 3DS, and it turned out the that the Frozen game was the non-3DS entry).

Passose

Banned
I think it was either last year or two years ago that one of the insiders talked about the highest selling portable games at the time, and the DS Frozen game had outsold every Vita game for that time period (they basically said that 19 out of the top 20 games were 3DS, and it turned out the that the Frozen game was the non-3DS entry).
Wait, really? Is this sarcasm?

It's ludicrous because Pokemon is as classic as you can get for a JRPG. It's far more of a classic JRPG than Kingdom Hearts, Tales, etc.

It's funny you should say that as I've never touched a Pokémon game as I simply assumed they were some kind of battle arena game with monsters you collect. Had no idea they were actually RPGs (with or without the J). Though part of the reason I've stay away is that I'd have no idea where to start, and all the Gold/Silver, Yellow/Red type stuff seems odd as well. Reminds me of all the coloured vinyl variations in the 80s to get singles to number one.

Anyway, veering off topic in a sales thread.

Fiendcode

XCX bombed iirc around 200k in December.
BD had an an opening of 200k.
Ni No Kuni iirc opened at 150k.
FE:Fates <400k digital+retail.
MHG > 165k.
MH4U had 290k opening.

Even something like Dark Souls 3, largest opening for the franchise, opened at 504k retail. Persona 5 on effectively the PS4 alone sold 450k is crazy good.
200k 1st month fir a JRPG in the US isn't a bomb unless it's FF/Pokémon.

how is kingdom hearts a traditional jrpg

also not sure what your beef with pokemon is.

How is it not? Didn't include Souls either but I don't see some of you mentioning that?

Its pretty simple. They are JRPGs in a literal sense however there appeal is very different. If someone was to ask for JRPGs on the PS4, often they will be referring to stuff like FF, KH, Tales, Persona etc than Bloodborne or Nioh. You can say, wait those are all JRPGs, but the association of JRPG to linear, story driven and character focused adventures are undeniable and is the very reason the whole what is a JRPG discussion even arises. Its not going to change.

200k 1st month fir a JRPG in the US isn't a bomb unless it's FF/Pokémon.

For a holiday month, if little change in the LTD and poor Japanese sales, it is a bomb.

Passose

Banned
How is it not? Didn't include Souls either but I don't see some of you mentioning that?

Its pretty simple. They are JRPGs in a literal sense however there appeal is very different. If someone was to ask for JRPGs on the PS4, often they will be referring to stuff like FF, KH, Tales, Persona etc than Bloodborne or Nioh. You can say, wait those are all JRPGs, but the association of JRPG to linear, story driven and character focused adventures are undeniable and is the very reason the whole what is a JRPG discussion even arises. Its not going to change.

For a holiday month, if little change in the LTD and poor Japanese sales, it is a bomb.
but you still............. didn't reply about.............. that pokemon........... thing, but nvm <(")

Fiendcode

We only got a ltd as to the first several months and at full price. And no digital iirc.

200k alone at US retail really isn't a bomb for a non FF/Pokémon JRPG though. No way around that.

Mory Dunz

...because pokemon is 10x bigger than Dark Souls and is the biggest JRPG, traditional or otherwise, pertaining to your OG comment of the "biggest JRPGs"

but sure Dark Souls can be thrown in too. So this month Persona took the elusive crown as the....6th biggest? ;)

noshten

The game is going to easily clear 500k. Close to Mortal Kombat numbers for Injustice 2

According to Christopher Dring Injustice 2 is up by 33% in the UK compared to the debut. It's also about 40% lower compared to MKX. Being close to MKX in the US is setting unrealistic expectations.

Let me put it this way. If Injustice 2 is below 500K, that will be the last Injustice game, so Warner certainly didn't green light it with less than that in mind.

This is certainly true and I can certainly see Injustice doing over 500K I'm just unsure how much more it would do. I'd be blown away if Injustice 2 does more than 700K in the May NPD personally I expect it to be between 550-650K range.

Fdkn

The biggest argument for singling out Pokemon out of the genre is that there is no rpg series that would get a pass for two decades with basically no real story. More so when they've been reusing that shallow structure non stop, to the point that a few irrelevant changes on Sun&Moon are seen as a revolution.

Context is important. For almost all the western stuff that gets announced for XB1 I can get it on PS4 or PC.
Alright? You aren't really addressing what I said in the first place. The user said Nintendo looks to have better indie relations than MS, and that games lately have been announced for Switch/PS4/PC. I said that there's far more games announced for Xbox/PS4/PC than there are for Switch...

Indies? I'm not so sure about that. And indies are what I'm talking about.

E3 is going to be quite interesting in this regard.
Yes, indies lol. Not sure what you are expecting from E3 to change that

Top Bottom