• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For April 2017 [Up: Sony and Microsoft now sharing digital numbers]

Passose

Banned
the only persona games aside from 5 that i've played were 4 and tokyo mirage sessions, and both seemed like they got going faster. i really liked 4's setting though, and so far tms was easier to get around in than 5's tokyo.
Tms is not a persona game,actually

Square2015

In the OP it says Persona 5 sold 5x P4's debut, that was in Dec 08. Do we have numbers for that month? I only have NPD up to Jan 2007.

BTW this what I have on the series LTD up to that pt:
Code:
SHIN MEGAMI: NOCTURNE 54,364
SHIN MEGAMI: DIGITAL 50,275
SHIN MEGAMI: DIGITAL SAGA 2 35,411
SHIN MEGAMI: DEVIL SUMMONER: RAIDOU 19,326 (out 4 mos.)
Also some PSX numbers:
Code:
PERSONA 2 22,000
REVELATIONS 36,000

In the OP it says Persona 5 sold 5x P4's debut, that was in Dec 09. Do we have numbers for that month? I only have NPD up to Jan 2007.

BTW this what I have on the series LTD up to that pt:
Code:
SHIN MEGAMI: NOCTURNE 54,364
SHIN MEGAMI: DIGITAL 50,275
SHIN MEGAMI: DIGITAL SAGA 2 35,411
SHIN MEGAMI: DEVIL SUMMONER: RAIDOU 19,326 (out 4 mos.)
Also some PSX numbers:
Code:
PERSONA 2 22,000
REVELATIONS 36,000
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=237554568&postcount=735

Also, the statement in the OP is speaking in terms of packaged dollar sales.

Usobuko

Banned
That's crazy sales for Persona 5.

The last time I remember a JRPG besides Pokemon / FF doing well in NPD was Tales of Xillia and Fire Emblem Awakening.

Persona 5 blows both of them combined in retail.

Fiendcode

That's crazy sales for Persona 5.

The last time I remember a JRPG besides Pokemon / FF doing well in NPD was Tales of Xillia and Fire Emblem Awakening.

Persona 5 blows both of them combined in retail.
Xenoblade Chronicles X, Bravely Default, Ni No Kuni and Fire Emblem Fates all also did really well. Also Bloodborne, Dark Souls 1-3 and Monster Hunter 3U/4U/Generations if those count.

Jigorath

Banned
Over 450k in retail only is insane. Add in at least a standard 30% digital share and that's probably over 600k for the US alone.

Xenoblade Chronicles X, Bravely Default, Ni No Kuni and Fire Emblem Fates all also did really well. Also Bloodborne, Dark Souls 1-3 and Monster Hunter 3U/4U/Generations if those count.

Didn't Fates actually top NPD when it came out? I remember being blown away by that.

Don't normally care about these things, but thought I'd have a nose and see what's going down in the exciting world of sales.

Great that Persona has been doing well, but..

The 'year so far' chart has Ghost Recon and For Honor at the top of it. Why??

XCX bombed iirc around 200k in December.
BD had an an opening of 200k.
Ni No Kuni iirc opened at 150k.
FE:Fates <400k digital+retail.
MHG > 165k.
MH4U had 290k opening.

Even something like Dark Souls 3, largest opening for the franchise, opened at 504k retail. Persona 5 on effectively the PS4 alone sold 450k is crazy good.

Usobuko

Banned
Don't normally care about these things, but thought I'd have a nose and see what's going down in the exciting world of sales.

Silent majority voting with their wallet for Ubisoft games.

Zedark

Because they are the most mainstream games released this year, and Ubisoft games seem to especially strike a chord with the mainstream audience.

Toni

I don't know if I expected too much but I feel like H:ZD didn't perform too well, it's on the leading platform, an open world action RPG, best visuals in gaming, it was supposed to do much better but Zelda is easily selling more on a new platform with barely any users, it has already disappeared from the top 10, even blops 2 sold more this month for crying out loud! it got zero legs.

I wouldn't call it a failure but it is disappointing commercially.

I'd by worried if Zelda doesn't manage to outsell stuff after being in the market for more than 25 years. And its also selling well on the Wii U,as oppossed to Horizon that is selling on par with Zelda being on 1 console, a new IP, having a female protagonist, and its Guerilla's first attempt at Open World game design.

Its a phenomenal success story for Guerilla Games and Sony no matter how its sliced.

Mory Dunz

I don't know if I expected too much but I feel like H:ZD didn't perform too well, it's on the leading platform, an open world action RPG, best visuals in gaming, it was supposed to do much better but Zelda is easily selling more on a new platform with barely any users, it has already disappeared from the top 10, even blops 2 sold more this month for crying out loud! it got zero legs.

I wouldn't call it a failure but it is disappointing commercially.

The two types of people on GAF I don't understand right now:

1. People saying Switch isn't selling well.
2. People saying Horizon isn't selling well.

The two types of people on GAF I don't understand right now:

1. People saying Switch isn't selling well.
2. People saying Horizon isn't selling well.
I always think of that dog at the computer image with posts like that. People haven't the slightest clues what they are talking about.

Ridley327

XCX bombed iirc around 200k in December.
BD had an an opening of 200k.
Ni No Kuni iirc opened at 150k.
FE:Fates <400k digital+retail.
MHG > 165k.
MH4U had 290k opening.

Even something like Dark Souls 3, largest opening for the franchise, opened at 504k retail. Persona 5 on effectively the PS4 alone sold 450k is crazy good.

I don't know how you figure that Xenoblade X bombed in its first month, when any non-FF/Pokémon/KH titles would be doing cartwheels with those kinds of numbers.

There's a pretty massive gap between the big dogs and everything else, and there's little that's going to change that.

Well then it's not an advantage for Sony either. Having indies on your system is a good thing though. What's crazy is that Nintendo seems to have stronger indie support right now than Microsoft.

Nintendo doesn't need big western third party support to have a very successful platform, but I do believe by not having them, there's a ceiling they won't be able to rise above. The question is how high up is that ceiling? 50 million? 75 million?
Stronger indie support than MS? Lmao okay

silva1991

Persona 5 did better in it's launch month than Nioh and Nier right?

Where is that person that kept saying that no one want turn based JRPGs on home consoles anymore?

I really hope FF16 is turn based :3

Ridley327

We got info from them this way: no PSVITA game out performed the 3DS' top ten. And may actually be worse than that, to be honest.

I wouldn't at all be surprised if they did a top 20 and there still wasn't a single Vita game. Its fans are loyal, but they are very small in number. Combine that with the virtually non-existent retail presence and you've got yourself a bad situation.

It sold really well here in southeast asia. It is sold out together with the collectors edition. But asia has solid jrpg market.

I live in Europe and I forgot to the pre-order the game and I had real troubles to find the game during the first week, had to call around until I found a copy! Must be a good sign.

They sold more than all other titles year to date.

"3DS and Vita" section in OP should just be called "3DS".

Nope.

Over 450k in retail only is insane.

If only that were true.

Well that's confirmation enough for me.

I'm not confirming anything, and digital sales are not shared. So who knows what that number is or where it came from. I certainly don't.

Welfare

Anything John Harker says should be assumed to include digital estimates unless stated otherwise.

Remember he also posted Dead Rising 4 sales and those included digital even though Microsoft didn't share digital until this month.

Zedark

Well that's confirmation enough for me.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe: 550,000 including digital

Persona 5: 450,000 including digital

Zelda: >450,000
Where do you get Zelda over 450k from?

Anything John Harker says should be assumed to include digital estimates unless stated otherwise.

Remember he also posted Dead Rising 4 sales and those included digital even though Microsoft didn't share digital until this month.
He did the same with Horizon last month, right?

Persona 5 did better in it's launch month than Nioh and Nier right?

Where is that person that kept saying that no one want turn based JRPGs on home consoles anymore?

I really hope FF16 is turn based :3

Bear in mind FFXV did 2 million+ with digital iirc.
But yes, there is clearly no stigma against turn based JRPGs.

I don't know how you figure that Xenoblade X bombed in its first month, when any non-FF/Pokémon/KH titles would be doing cartwheels with those kinds of numbers.

There's a pretty massive gap between the big dogs and everything else, and there's little that's going to change that.

Thats was a holiday month and iirc the LTD did not change much after that. If there's any JRPG that can fill that gap right now, it looks to be Persona 5. LTD could be 2.5-3 million.

How would he get digital estimates? Did Atlus provide info?

More like 450k =/ over 450k

MANUELF

Banned
They sold more than all other titles year to date.

Nope.

If only that were true.

I'm not confirming anything, and digital sales are not shared. So who knows what that number is or where it came from. I certainly don't.
Hi, do you have any sort of info in how are Switch titles perfoming?

Ridley327

Thats was a holiday month and iirc the LTD did not change much after that. If there's any JRPG that can fill that gap right now, it looks to be Persona 5. LTD could be 2.5-3 million.
I know it was a holiday month, hence my comment. Even with your own findings, it's rare for any non-major JRPG to put up numbers like that.

I have a hard time believing that Persona is the next big JRPG franchise for one reason and for one reason alone: the infrequency of releases will make it really, really hard for it to get that much mindshare compared to the others. Final Fantasy and Pokémon speak for themselves on that front, and say what you will about Kingdom Hearts, but in the time between Persona 4 and Persona 5, it had two mainline releases and a few remasters to keep interest levels up. Fire Emblem is in a much better position to take that crown thanks to that aspect, and even then, it's going to have a tough enough time to reach Mario RPG levels of acceptance.

Top Bottom