• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2007

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Odysseus said:
well, i argued against him way back when, but here's where i argue for him.

ps2 in it's third december sold 2.7 million. it may have been the ps-freaking-2, and it may have been $199, but that's setting a high bar for holiday says. 2nd and 4th decembers, they were just south of 2 million. again, high bars. 360 isn't coming close.

put into perspective versus microsoft's own accomplishments, this is a record holiday. compared to the monster of the past generation, it's absolutely meh.

slow down, son

you know that comparing last gen to this gen is a bit....silly, right?

Frillen

Schmev said:
Once again, I'm just going to have to arrive at the same sad conclusion:

You are all Gay! You love your monthly sales updates! Get a life, you losers!

Honestly, I can't think of a single organism on this planet that deserves to be snuffed more than a console fanboy.

I really hope you enjoy your life. Lick a stamp to join a lawsuit! Lick a stamp to breathe fresh air! Lick a stamp to feel free!

You people are pathetic. You belong in a zoo.

dawson-crying.jpg

NeoUltima

Y2Kev said:
PS3 software sales make me vomit. It wouldn't even be such a big deal that it was selling like liquid feces if the software sold to a hardcore base that owned the machine. It's increasingly obvious the hardcore are the only ones that own PS3s, and generally they own 360s, so why bother with PS3 software.

Thank god for 360 supporting western developers.
Huh...In NA multiplats on ps3 tend to sell 1/3 of those on 360. (For example, 500k CoD4 ps3 and 1.5m CoD4 360) Considering its userbase is also 1/3 the 360's, they aren't that bad. Actually, AC had a higher attach ratio to Ps3 in Nov, than it did the 360. As for exclusive, Uncharted sold 323,000 in Dec+Nov. Mass Effect sold, 874,000. Uncharted actually has a slightly better attach rate than Mass Effect. Not to mention Mass Effect had built up a lot of hype prior to release; Uncharted, not so much. If both consoles had the same userbase, I would bet the software sales would be damn similar.

reilo said:
I didn't imply that it should have :lol. My bad. I just meant that it could have done north of 1.5mil easy with what it has to offer.

They possibly could have with more premium's and elite's on store shelves. I was shocked to see how hard it was to find them this Xmas.

GhaleonEB

Schmev said:

Honestly, I can't think of a single organism on this planet that deserves to be snuffed more than a console fanboy.

I really hope you enjoy your life. Lick a stamp to join a lawsuit! Lick a stamp to breathe fresh air! Lick a stamp to feel free!

:lol
Jonnyram said:
Wow, insane numbers... Cod4! I'll have to pick that up myself soon. Shame Mario couldn't end the year on a high note, but I'm sure it'll keep on selling for a long time to come.
CoD4 is one of the biggest surprises this holiday. 3m units on the 360 alone is just staggering.

Snah

Banned
Nolan. said:
Probabaly just talking about being the main focus platform.

Which is pretty irrelevant at this point. PS3 development is getting a lot more refined. Ports are getting significantly better to the point where there's no difference between CoD4 on the Xbox 360 vs. the PS3. Moving forward, third party support is largely a non-issue. The notion of third party exclusivity is going to be a rarity this generation, though surprisingly Sony still has managed to hold on to a few (MGS4, Final Fantasy).

Tutomos

Pai Pai Master said:
More than 2.4m.

To be fair Xbox360 and Wii are not at that price point yet, but apparently 1.2 million is supposed to be good this gen. As long as it beats PS3, then it's good for people.

giggas

Schmev said:

not_so_fast.jpg

Let us have our fun, and go troll somewhere else, prick.

Schmev said:

Holy shit! :lol

Zzoram

mysticstylez said:
So the majority of people you know is accurate enough to make this assumption?

While I realize anecdotal evidence is shaky at best, it is quite obvious that the Wii is appealing to an incredibly large audience with disposable income that we know as the Baby Boomers. With retirement in sights, and an incredible amount of free time and money to spend, the Wii doing numbers beyond even PS1 and PS2 numbers is entirely reasonable.

besada

Banned
Schmev said:

Mod joke account?

giggas said:
I think the PS3 is also... don't kill me for saying this... but too sophisticated for the masses. People just don't "get" Bluray or even what HD means in general. I've totally jumped onto the HD bandwagon over the summer, and I love BD. However, when I show people the difference between a movie in its DVD form and it's BD form, they don't really see the big deal. There's like a shoulder shrug and an "Ohhh, I guess that's cool." It's amazing how many people I know that own HDTVs that aren't using component cables for their DVD players and game consoles.

A friend of mine was playing Wii on a huge 50" HDTV and I told him he was a fool for not buying component cables. He told me that stuff didn't matter to him and it looked great on composite. I finally convinced him to purchase the cables and he was really happy with the way it looked. However, I know for a fact he's not using component for his DVDs. The odd thing is, he's usually a tech savy guy, and he's a huge movie buff, so to see someone like him not give a crap about HD, or BD is kind of strange. If he doesn't care, I highly doubt the masses give a shit. And it's not just movies, legacy titles look fantastic on PS3's with backwards compatibility, and the games are starting to arrive. PSN is also really good. The problem is, no one knows about that stuff.

I think that HD is turning out to be a niche like having a perfect surround sound system for most people. HD is all about superior quality, just like having surround sound. In the end, most people don't care about either. It's not that much of a difference for them, at least for the price.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
Call of Duty 4 becomes the first third-party game to ever sell more than 2 million on an Xbox in the USA and the first "non-Halo" game to sell more than 3 million on ax Xbox in the USA.

Good Job, Activision.

Schmev said:
Cya.

Some of us are just pure salesagers and honestly, as a businessman I love this shit... I don't care what that makes me in your opinion. :lol

Big-E

NeoUltima said:
Huh...In NA multiplats on ps3 tend to sell 1/3 of those on 360. (For example, 500k CoD4 ps3 and 1.5m CoD4 360) Considering its userbase is also 1/3 the 360's, they aren't that bad. Actually, AC had a higher attach ratio to Ps3 in Nov, than it did the 360. As for exclusive, Uncharted sold 323,000 in Dec+Nov. Mass Effect sold, 874,000. Uncharted actually has a slightly better attach rate than Mass Effect. Not to mention Mass Effect had built up a lot of hype prior to release; Uncharted, not so much. If both consoles had the same userbase, I would bet the software sales would be damn similar.

I was going to say something about this. Didn't Madden have a better attach rate on PS3 as well?

YYZ

chespace said:
Price and library in year one set the system off on the wrong path.

Now it's just further along down that path. 2008 should help, but in the overall picture, in terms of 3rd party support, I don't think see PS3 becoming parity with 360 ever this generation.
Why are you badmouthing Sony when you work for them!?

NeoUltima said:

The 360 was moving games like Dead Rising in the millions back in 06. The PS3 might be comparable to the 360 with some games, but as a whole it just isn't cutting it. For every example of the PS3 selling games decently, there are plenty more of games completely tanking, and i'm betting UT3 is going to be on that list.

Nolan.

Snah said:
Which is pretty irrelevant at this point. PS3 development is getting a lot more refined. Ports are getting significantly better to the point where there's no difference between CoD4 on the Xbox 360 vs. the PS3. Moving forward, third party support is largely a non-issue. The notion of third party exclusivity is going to be a rarity this generation, though surprisingly Sony still has managed to hold on to a few (MGS4, Final Fantasy).

I just hope they don't start to loose the amount of effort they put into the ps3 stuff, and actually start making more.

Bricfa

So is Sony's continued support of the Playstation 2 hurting the ps3 in any way? It's still selling millions. Almost like it's trying to show the Ps3 how to do things.

Odysseus said:
square and team kojima are two of the biggest sony supporters, mind you

They're Japanese companies and firm believers in doing whatever it is they think is right. What SquarEnix and Konami decide to do doesn't necessarily speak to the quality of the system they are supporting.

Mrbob

Miniboss1232 said:
I think that HD is turning out to be a niche like having a perfect surround sound system for most people. HD is all about superior quality, just like having surround sound. In the end, most people don't care about either. It's not that much of a difference for them, at least for the price.

Well the difference with HD is it will become a standard.

But it might not be a standard in all homes until the PS4 is out.

jetjevons said:
Maybe they've won the next-gen HARD media format war, for whatever that's worth. I'm no expert but I was of the opinion that the heaving masses (people still buying those "old fashioned" DVDs) don't even realize (or care) there's a format war going on.

Seems to me like the war for digital delivery domination is just beginning.

I wonder if sales of this generation of HD discs will see anything close to the market penetration of the original dvd accomplished. I think the market will move more and more to digital distribution of films, which will increase rentals dramatically. I have around 150 dvd's, but little to no interest in either re-buying what I own, or acquiring more discs.

Odysseus

Banned
Shpeshal Ed said:
you know that comparing last gen to this gen is a bit....silly, right?

absolutely. higher priced hardware, higher priced games, lengthy transition.

on the other hand, this was a record year as far as sales go. so maybe it's not too out of line to compare gens, no? but to make my point clear, i lean more on the side of the 360 sales not being disappointing. but i can see the counterpoint if you're looking at it in terms of the ps2.

Bulla564

Banned
NeoUltima said:

Pretty much. I don't think anyone is expecting 3rd parties to drop the PS3. I guess the GC comparisons end there.

Zzoram said:
While I realize anecdotal evidence is shaky at best, it is quite obvious that the Wii is appealing to an incredibly large audience with disposable income that we know as the Baby Boomers. With retirement in sights, and an incredible amount of free time and money to spend, the Wii doing numbers beyond even PS1 and PS2 numbers is entirely reasonable.

I disagree that the Wii will outsell the PS2 overall. It's common knowledge that when Nintendo releases a new console they abandon the previous one. And with the PS2 selling over 1million units in December of 2008, 9 years after the system has been released is phenomenal.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Schmev said:

:lol :lol :lol

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Nolan. said:
Probabaly just talking about being the main focus platform.

Yeah, lead SKU business, which makes a difference in terms of quality and release date. And if it's true that most PS3 owners also own a 360, then the cycle continues.

NeoUltima said:

Yup, and then the PS3's userbase stays at 1/3 to the 360's the whole generation, then what?

avaya

So PS2 was >2.4mn at a minimum for it's best ever NPD. That's ridiculous. I'm guessing it was in 2002?

To be selling >1mn in 2008 is frankly astonishing given the amazingly competitive environment that exists today. I would have thought PS2 hit saturation point in NA. Seems it hasn't.

DS is the first handheld to repeat PS2 levels of penetration (1/household for a console = 2+/household for handheld), DS finally tally in NA at >60mn is more than possible. 60mn :lol

Zzoram

NeoUltima said:

While the proportional sales was true of CoD4 and Assassin's Creed, it isn't true of every title. For instance, Rock Band sold 4-5x better on Xbox 360 in November.

Uncharted was the reason to own a PS3, the first really great exclusive that delivered and really appealed to the hardcore. Everyone who owned only a PS3 was crying GOTY in unison.

Schmev

Banned
_Alkaline_ said:
Holy shit! :lol

I just have problems with you people. Not you specifically.

You people really need to lick a doorknob and hopefully it will lead to the door opening to a bright shiny world where you can really mean something in.

Lick anything to get a life, you jagoffs! Get a freaking life!

Some day, you sapiens might view this message as helpful.

Robert R1

Banned
NeoUltima said:

What planet do you live on? PS3 games get hyped upto the moon! Then if/when they bomb the excuse train comes out.

As for uncharted not being hyped: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=204857&highlight=uncharted almost 14k posts state otherwise.

Bulla564

Banned
Bricfa said:
So is Sony's continued support of the Playstation 2 hurting the ps3 in any way? It's still selling millions. Almost like it's trying to show the Ps3 how to do things.

I guess 10 year plans work...

Threi

notag
Schmev said:

You people really need to lick a doorknob and hopefully it will lead to the door opening to a bright shiny world where you can really mean something in.

ahh go suck a lemon you ass

Odysseus

Banned
bigdaddygamebot said:
They're Japanese companies and firm believers in doing whatever it is they think is right. What SquarEnix and Konami decide to do doesn't necessarily speak to the quality of the system they are supporting.

my post

your head

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Big-E said:
I was going to say something about this. Didn't Madden have a better attach rate on PS3 as well?

You guys know that 360 games compete with each other right?

Decent games onn PS3 (the couple of them that exist at the moment anyway), don't exactly have much taking away from their sales.

I understand the need to spin and stuff, but really, there's no need. I like my PS3 too, but relax. Let the Xbox have it's time in the sun. :lol

chemicals

man this is shitty for Sony.. about those PS3 numbers. I really expected it to do very well in December. I'm seriously shocked. Seriously you guys.

Schmev said:

This has got to be a joke account. Kinda sad either way really.

Top Bottom