• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2007

Penguin

Nintendo's PR I guess?

REDMOND, Wash., Jan. 17, 2008 – Nintendo DS™ and Wii™ finished strong in 2007, commanding sales in the holiday shopping period and finishing the year as the two best-selling video game systems in the United States, according to new data just released by the independent NPD Group. Nintendo DS was the top-selling U.S. system of 2007, with nearly 8.5 million sold, including more than 4 million in November and December alone. Wii placed second, with nearly 6.3 million sold through the year, more than 2.3 million of which sold in the final two months.

“By the end of 2007 we were sold out of virtually all hardware, and much of our stock of software and accessories was sold out as well, thanks to the broad appeal of Wii and Nintendo DS to core gamers, women, families, grandparents – and seemingly everyone in between,” said Cammie Dunaway, Nintendo of America’s executive vice president of sales & marketing. “And that momentum continues here in the early weeks of 2008.”

Some additional facts about Nintendo’s 2007 performance in the United States (note: All figures are from NPD):

* Nintendo accounted for 52 percent of all video game hardware systems sold in 2007 – more than all other manufacturers combined.
* Since their respective launches, Nintendo has sold more than 17.6 million Nintendo DS systems and nearly 7.4 million Wii systems in the United States alone.
* Wii Play™, a collection of nine fun mini-games, finished 2007 with 4.1 million units sold.
* Super Mario Galaxy™ sold through more than 2.5 million copies since it launched on Nov. 12.
* The two games in the Brain Age® series each sold about 1 million copies in 2007.
* Half of the top 30 best-selling games of 2007 were made for Nintendo systems, including Pokemon® Pearl, Pokemon® Diamond, Mario Party® DS, Guitar Hero III™: Legends of Rock and Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games™.
* Nintendo continues to dominate the hand-held market: Of the top 30 best-selling portable games sold in 2007, 25 were made for Nintendo DS and another two were made for Game Boy® Advance.
* Sales of Nintendo DS systems grew 60 percent over those from 2006.
* In 2007, the video game industry grew by 43 percent over 2006. Nintendo is responsible for 60 percent of that growth.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Odysseus said:
uh, microsoft? how is someone going to play a first person shooter with a balance board?

think, mcfly. think.

You'd play it in conjunction with the controller. 360fit pad replaces the left stick in your standard FPS control scheme. :p

Rolf NB

Agent Ironside said:
Yup, and then the PS3's userbase stays at 1/3 to the 360's the whole generation, then what?
It will not. Even if just December's market split continues forever, it will get the PS3 above half of the XBox 360 install base. But that's still a big if.

CurlySaysX said:
Damn. Impressive numbers for the PS3.
Seems the momentum that the 360 was riding on has hit a wall, MS must be disappointed.
If MS momentum has hit a wall... what's the prognosis of Sony's momentum?

Had a stroke?

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
DS: Holy Shit, this thing can't be stopped.

Wii: Expected, but shortages better be fixed in 2008.

360: Disappointing, 360 shouldn't be supply constrained. Unlike the Wii, it doesn't sell as much worldwide so it should have more stock for NA.

PS3: Expected. Sony, a piece of advice, next time when launching a console don't make it $200 higher than the competition. Now that the price is down it should start selling a little better though. 2008 should be a better year, but it will never catch the 360.

COD4: /cheer more people to play online with! :D

SMG: Awsome, but it deserves 10 times that.

Wii Play: People need a controller.

GH Wii: Activision fucked up, no stock anywhere. At least they released their music game on the Wii, EA must be crying right now.

Halo 3: It keeps going and going and....

Jim

Didn't seem like this was posted yet:

PlayStation® platforms had a great holiday season, based on NPD December 2007 sales data:

Hardware Momentum (PS3, PS2 and PSP) –

December 2007 was the biggest month for PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3™) since launch, with 798K hardware units sold in December; this represents an increase of 60% over December of last year. With upcoming titles like Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots, Devil May Cry 4, Burnout Paradise, and HAZE as well as current momentum for Blu-ray, there is a great deal of enthusiasm for the PS3 as we enter the new year.

PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) continues to experience strong sales momentum with a new sleek design and the availability of entertainment packs. In December, 1.1 million PSP hardware units were sold; this is an 87% increase in sales over the previous month. Also, with our new partnership with Skype™ and great new games around the corner, such as God of War: Chains of Olympus, Patapon and Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII, consumer excitement will only continue to grow.

With a current library of nearly 1,500 games, the PlayStation®2 (PS2) also had an excellent month in December with hardware unit sales reaching 1.1 million units. Also, the PS2 sold more software units than any other console on the market.

PlayStation total hardware revenue was $714 million in December; surpassing the total hardware revenue of Microsoft and Nintendo.

Software Momentum (PS3, PS2 and PSP)

PS2 Guitar Hero III was the 3rd best-selling game this holiday season across all platforms with 2.7 million units sold from October through December. Also, the PS2 version of Guitar Hero III is the best-selling version since the launch of the title.

PlayStation total software revenue in December was $822 million, sales nearly doubled compared to last month's sales.

PlayStation platforms had three software titles in the top ten list across all consoles for the month of December: Guitar Hero III for PS2 sold 800K units, Madden NFL 08 for PS2 sold 655K units and Call of Duty 4 on PS3 sold 522K units.

diddlyD

Banned
Odysseus said:
microsoft: we're beating ps3! we're beating ps3! hey, did you know we're beating ps3? because we are! soundly! oh man oh man oh man wow i can't believe we're beating ps3!

oh, hullo there mr. wii. please don't hurt us.

we're beating ps3!

"and don't forget, we've spent 6 billion dollars to get where we're at! ... wait"

CurlySaysX said:
Damn. Impressive numbers for the PS3.
Seems the momentum that the 360 was riding on has hit a wall, MS must be disappointed.

ScratchHead.jpg

NeoUltima

IronicallyTwisted said:
The 360 was moving games like Dead Rising in the millions back in 06. The PS3 might be comparable to the 360 with some games, but as a whole it just isn't cutting it. For every example of the PS3 selling games decently, there are plenty more of games completely tanking, and i'm betting UT3 is going to be on that list.
"In the millions" I'm not finding these Dead Rising sales numbers anywhere, but I know Gears sold 1.8 million in 2006, and that was 360s best selling game by far. Granted, UT3 will probably bomb, but I largely attribute that to horrible advertising, hype, and, most importantly, a crowded FPS genre. There still hasn't been a ps3 game that fills that "killer-ap" role, like Gears did for 360. Sales of games like CoD4 and AC show that their is that potential for a killer-ap if a great, not-so-niche game comes along.

WinFonda

Microsoft said:
We’re not slowing down in 2008. The next versions of powerhouse franchises like “Grand Theft Auto,” “Resident Evil” and sports games like “Madden”, “FIFA”, and “Pro Evolution Soccer” open up a new arena for game play on Xbox 360. This year we will make great strides toward improving our brand appeal to consumers interested in more physical game play. With titles like “Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock,” “Rock Band” and “Scene It? Lights, Camera, Action” we’re creating interactive experiences on Xbox 360 for the entire family.[/I]
Sounds like a strong year for Take-Two, Capcom, Activision, Konami, and EA!

jett

D-Member
Microsoft's spin gives the ps3 ports of COD4 and AC about 500k and 400k respectively. Not too bad I guess.

jman2050

mysticstylez said:
That is why it doesn't mean two shits that the Wii is outselling the 360.

I'm sure Nintendo is crying their eyes out, seeing as they don't have any first-party efforts to compensate for the third parties lack of success... nope, none at all...

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
quest said:
I love this spin amazon means nothing in the grand scheme. Have we not learned our lesson about amazon yet? The hd media sales are close to 1% of the market or basically nothing. Add in the higher costs to transfer the movie and lower margins thanks to constant bogos and you have studios losing their asses praying the average person will care about PQ/SQ. When they have shown to never really care.
You members of the HD-DVD militia never cease to amuse. Keep camping out in the jungle fellas, the Emperor still requires your services. :lol

ksamedi

DaMan121 said:

I think the Rainchecks program sales were counted into the December sales as well. This means that who ever bought a Wii with the Rain checks program will get there Wii delivered in January but the sales will be for December. In short, Nintendo diverted some (or all) of there January stock to December.

Odysseus

Banned
chespace said:
You'd play it in conjunction with the controller. 360fit pad replaces the left stick in your standard FPS control scheme. :p

oh, i get it

so now i can use the sticks to look in two directions at once, just like normal!

lazyeye.jpg

Rolf NB

sionyboy said:
Interesting....perhaps MS have plans for some sort of dance mat. 360Fit?
XBox Live! Vision Knitetikz(TM)
Goof off completely unencumbered with a fully unique, innovative, truly not copied experience.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
"PlayStation total hardware revenue was $714 million in December; surpassing the total hardware revenue of Microsoft and Nintendo. "

I love when they do that

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
PSP software sales? Does anyone have ANY idea where they are? And not like, in the "toilet," but I'm curious to know how DXChronicles, Silent Hill Origins, and FFT are doing.

jman2050

Wait...

* Nintendo continues to dominate the hand-held market: Of the top 30 best-selling portable games sold in 2007, 25 were made for Nintendo DS and another two were made for Game Boy® Advance.

Wow. PSP software sales am cry indeed.

Snah said:
PS3 sales are quite strong. The numbers for the entire month of all hardware (sans the DS) look a bit low, however.

360, in its third Christmas season and with Halo 3 and other exclusives, only managed to outsell the PS3 by 460k with the lowest price point of entry being significantly lower than the PS3, and the PS3's most adopted model being the $499 version. Looking at it in terms of revenue, the PS3 outsold the Wii.

Pretty impressive numbers for the PS3, that's definitely sure. Now, given the sales gap in the US, it's pretty much guaranteed that worldwide the PS3 is outselling the 360. 2008 is where, in North America, PS3 starts outselling the 360 (especially as we get closer to the fall), barring any significant pricedrops by Microsoft.

You need title: "Employee of the Month" under your name.
Are you serious?
In the U.S. has the PS3 not been last every month? Dropping behind the 360 ANOTHER 460k is quite strong?

Sorry I'm 15 pages behind everyone.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
schuelma said:
"PlayStation total hardware revenue was $714 million in December; surpassing the total hardware revenue of Microsoft and Nintendo. "

I love when they do that

The PR is written to shareholders, mainly. You have to take that into account.

quest

Not Banned from OT
jett said:
Microsoft's spin gives the ps3 ports of COD4 and AC about 500k and 400k respectively. Not too bad I guess.

Not really when 159 dollar rock band almost out sold them both on the 360. When 159 dollar games start out doing your top games you are in trouble.

jman2050 said:
I'm sure Nintendo is crying their eyes out, seeing as they don't have any first-party efforts to compensate for the third parties lack of success... nope, none at all...

But Nintendo fans shall cry when they continue to get shitty 3rd party games.

Penguin said:
Nintendo's PR I guess?

Hmm, they're spinning the Wii success a bit. Not entirely sure why, but whatever. Can't argue with their "owning over half the market" quote though. Impressive.

_Alkaline_ said:

Nintendo fans should be used to it by now.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Odysseus said:
oh, i get it

so now i can use the sticks to look in two directions at once, just like normal!

Yes, and you use the Scene It controller to fire.

It's a big, accessible, mainstream friendly, fire button. Even grandma can use that M4 Carbine.

jman2050

Y2Kev said:
PSP software sales? Does anyone have ANY idea where they are? And not like, in the "toilet," but I'm curious to know how DXChronicles, Silent Hill Origins, and FFT are doing.

Well, going by Nintendo's press release, only 3 PSP games made the top 30 in portable sales.

Chumly

Penguin said:
WOW

Rolf NB

quest said:
I love this spin amazon means nothing in the grand scheme. Have we not learned our lesson about amazon yet? The hd media sales are close to 1% of the market or basically nothing. Add in the higher costs to transfer the movie and lower margins thanks to constant bogos and you have studios losing their asses praying the average person will care about PQ/SQ. When they have shown to never really care.
Whut? Amazon is the single best source for this kind of market research. They are big. They sell a lot of things, and they sell them to a lot of people. I even slashed the extrapolation to a quarter of what it could be, if I weren't such an awesomely balanced person who so willingly makes amends in a debate.
Your source is what? Your refusal to accept information?

Tutomos

schuelma said:

I love when they do that

It's sorting like saying I score 3 goals, 2 touchdowns and 1 homrun today, so I got 6 points , isn't it.

jman2050

_Alkaline_ said:

I'm sure they're disappointed that they can only play games like Galaxy, Brawl and MP3. Such crappy game selection indeed.

RBH

Wow, I wonder what those 3 PSP games were. :lol

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Tutomos said:
It's sorting like saying I score 3 goals, 2 touchdowns and 1 homrun today, so I got 6 points , isn't it.

Uhm, no, that would make it 18pts. Wait, how many RBIs with that home-run? Could be more points!

jordan0386 said:
Now that 2007 is finally over, who won?

I say MS.

...how?

Odysseus

Banned
chespace said:
Yes, and you use the Scene It controller to fire.

It's a big, accessible, mainstream friendly, fire button. Even grandma can use that M4 Carbine.

just as long as she knows i get to score the flag. she can carry it to the base, but if she doesn't drop it... melee to the back of the head.

NeoUltima

Agent Ironside said:
Yup, and then the PS3's userbase stays at 1/3 to the 360's the whole generation, then what?
So what if it does(it's roughly 1/2 WW now anyway)? As long as publishers still make a profit with it, there will always be ps3 games.

quest

Not Banned from OT
bcn-ron said:
Whut? Amazon is the single best source for this kind of market research. They are big. They sell a lot of things, and they sell them to a lot of people. I even slashed the extrapolation to a quarter of what it could be, if I weren't such an awesomely balanced person who so willingly makes amends in a debate.
Your source is what? Your refusal to accept information?

You must of not been around for the 3000 times amazon sales have been wrong. How many times did the PS3 be a head of the 360 at amazon and come NPD day opps. Amazon sales are a drop in the bucket and meaningless in the whole thing.

ksamedi said:
I think the Rainchecks program sales were counted into the December sales as well. This means that who ever bought a Wii with the Rain checks program will get there Wii delivered in January but the sales will be for December. In short, Nintendo diverted some (or all) of there January stock to December.

Interesting theory. That would depend on how EB/Gamestop rung up those sales. Normally, a pre-order at EB is just store credit, not a sale of the actual item (or we'd see pre-launch sales all the time). But since this was in conjuction with Nintendo, maybe they did it differently.

I know there are EB employees in here. What's the deal? Were rainchecks sold as actual Wii consoles?

Top Bottom