• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2007

jman2050 said:
I'm sure they're disappointed that they can only play games like Galaxy, Brawl and MP3. Such crappy game selection indeed.

What are most of the best selling and highest rated 360 games?

That's right, they're made by third parties, and Wii is missing out on these games.

jman2050 said:
I'm sure they're disappointed that they can only play games like Galaxy, Brawl and MP3. Such crappy game selection indeed.

Eh, you have to admit, Wii third party is pretty trashy, save for a few games. But as always, Nintendo systems CAN survive on Nintendo's support alone. I certainly don't mind.

GhaleonEB said:
Gamers won.

Stupid gamers and their PR spin.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
Throw the GBASP into the mix and Nintendo hardware outsold everything else combined. They just killed it this christmas, and this year, despite supply problems.

In contrast, PS3 is still getting butt-fucked by the PS2.

WinFonda

BenjaminBirdie said:
Don't forget MS, as they would continue to stay on top of the Software charts.

Or were you ignoring that small detail?
Ah, yes. I forgot about Gears 2 and Halo 4.

Oh and these press releases are pure awesome. Thank you Microsoft and Sony. Nintendo, you're up to bat!

Drensch

Shortages killed my numbers. Once again software sales show one thing, advertising. If you advertise it will sell. I'd even attribute Uncharted's rise to the deluge of ads.

jman2050

_Alkaline_ said:
What are most of the best selling and highest rated 360 games?

That's right, they're made by third parties, and Wii is missing out on these games.

And 360 is missing out on all the good Nintendo games. What's your point?

This is only a problem for gamers who planned on buying only one system anyway. They're going to have different game selections (and that goes far beyond the idiotic 1st party vs 3rd party debate), so intentionally limiting yourself to one of them makes you the loser in the long run. And obviously, by 'intentionally' I mean you have money to spare but don't want to spend it for whatever reason.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Odysseus said:
cop out

there is but one winner and many losers

the one winner being nintendo, the many losers being gathered in this thread.

us.

Fucking nongames.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
How many copies of GH3 have been sold in total now? Must be close to 5 million, and maybe 30 % of those with the guitar controller? Really impressive, going multiplatform crazy with GH3 was a wise move it seems, Activision must be pleased.

Rolf NB

quest said:
You must of not been around for the 3000 times amazon sales have been wrong. How many times did the PS3 be a head of the 360 at amazon and come NPD day opps. Amazon sales are a drop in the bucket and meaningless in the whole thing.
Nothing of what you say makes them wrong by a big enough ratio. I gave you a 300% margin of error. Your try, it wasn't hard enough.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Just have to add my congratulations to Naughty Dog for the Uncharted sales which are above expectations.

Such a phenomenal game.

omg rite said:
That's interesting that you say that.

Since you're, you know, wrong.

Agreed.

And 360 is missing out on all the good Nintendo games. What's your point?

This is only a problem for gamers who planned on buying only one system anyway. They're going to have different game selections (and that goes far beyond the idiotic 1st party vs 3rd party debate), so intentionally limiting yourself to one of them makes you the loser in the long run. And obviously, by 'intentionally' I mean you have money to spare but don't want to spend it for whatever reason.

That's why I have all 3 systems.

But every single Nintendo fan who complains about poor third party support has to realise that primarily, developers and publishers want money. And the 360 is by far the best place for their games - this is a fact.

And as long as this continues, Wii will continue to get the shaft from third parties.

What i want to see is a 3rd party take a risk on Wii and release an AAA, high-budget game for Wii that is marketed to hell and back. It could be a proving point for Wii software sales and influence the decisions of publishers in the future.

monkeu

Jim said:
Didn't seem like this was posted yet:

Holy shit, COD4 on PS3 definitely ISN'T in the "top ten list across all consoles for the month of December". Sony's resorted to just making shit up now huh? :lol

mr stroke

Plinko said:
Just have to add my congratulations to Naughty Dog for the Uncharted sales which are above expectations.

Such a phenomenal game.

but still a flop overall right considering how big of a title it should have been(Gears numbers)

PS3 hardware and software sales are still pretty pathetic. I think one more $50 price drop is all that is needed to get it to overcome the plateau if that's still possible.

Kiriku said:
How many copies of GH3 have been sold in total now? Must be close to 5 million, and maybe 30 % of those with the guitar controller? Really impressive, going multiplatform crazy with GH3 was a wise move it seems, Activision must be pleased.

I think it's more like 60-70% with the controller, but yes, very impressive. Guitar Hero is a lot like the Wii: people are willing to try it even if they don't normally play games (like my sisters).

Rolf NB

monkeu said:
Holy shit, COD4 on PS3 definitely ISN'T in the "top ten list across all consoles for the month of December". Sony's resorted to just making shit up now huh? :lol
They could potentially kick off the DS games, and claim that portables aren't consoles. That would still make sense, somehow.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Andokuky said:
I'm sure it's been addressed somewhere already but Halo 3 @ 4.82 million? I thought MS said 8 million+?

Worldwide..

jman2050

_Alkaline_ said:
That's why I have all 3 systems.

But every single Nintendo fan who complains about poor third party support has to realise that primarily, developers and publishers want money. And the 360 is by far the best place for their games - this is a fact.

Fine, we agree on that then.

My original post was in regards to the dude who said that 360's third party success makes the Wii dominance in hardware a non-factor. If we're talking strictly about sales (and seeing as this is an NPD thread, why would I assume otherwise?), this isn't true, as Nintendo games do more than enough numbers to compensate for the lack of third parties. As was said already, Nintendo doesn't really need them to stay successful.

That's all.

monkeu

Andokuky said:
I'm sure it's been addressed somewhere already but Halo 3 @ 4.82 million? I thought MS said 8 million+?

Funnily enough Halo 3 has also sold a few copies in countries outside of the United States.

Odysseus

Banned
Andokuky said:

it has also been addressed that united states != worldwide

although 8.1 mil u.s. owners of halo 3 would surely make for a remarkable adoption rate (90%!)

bcn-ron said:
Nothing of what you say makes them wrong by a big enough ratio. I gave you a 300% margin of error. Your try, it wasn't hard enough.

Amazon might be an okay overall barometer, but we've seen "my store sold xxx of this and xxx of that" data in here that came closer to reality. Not only is Amazon a small percentage of total sales, they're an online retailer, which means a very different demographic than the whole as well.

WinFonda said:
Ah, yes. I forgot about Gears 2 and Halo 4.

Oh and these press releases are pure awesome. Thank you Microsoft and Sony. Nintendo, you're up to bat!

No, you didn't. You sailed over my point at full speed.

Even if they had zero published games in 2008, they'd still be able to say the 360 was the best platform for software on the continent.

So is COD4 the PS3's first million selling game in the US? Last month, they had Resistance sitting at 780k units LTD according to NPD so unless they sold 220k of the game this month, I think COD4 will take the title.

Not bad for IW considering the first million seller in the states for the 360 was COD2. 13 months for IW to sell the first million on PS3 and 10 months for IW to sell it's first million on 360.

zander106

Snah said:
For Sony as a company, do you think they care? They just won the next-gen media battle, and will take in billions in profit over the next 10 years because of it.

They will only make "billions in profit" if mass market consumers decide that it is worth upgrading from DVD to Blu-Ray. This transition will not be anywhere near as momentous as VHS to DVD, and it would be a mistake to assume that it will be.

People moved from VHS to DVD for the same reasons they shifted from cassette tape to CD: random access (people always forget how big this was), more portable media size, and higher quality video/audio. But compared to the VHS to DVD transition, the benefits of Blu-Ray over DVD are incremental. You get higher video quality. But that alone doesn't mean a lot for the mass market. Consumers never got excited about Super Audio CD or DVD Audio for the same reasons. CD was good enough, and DVD will remain good enough at a lower price point. After all, studios aren't going to stop making DVDs just because Blu-Ray is around.

Odysseus

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:

Even if they had zero published games in 2008, they'd still be able to say the 360 was the best platform for software on the continent.

haven't you realized yet that third party, multiplatform games will stop selling in 2008? things are changing, man. get with the program. old is new, in is out, right is left. are you with me yet? call of duty and guitar hero might as well be dog saliva. step into my office. because you're freaking fired.

monkeu said:

Sony PR has been on the stretching the truth to its breaking point all this gen. 'Way back in January, when the DS was hard to find and only outsold the PSP by a little, they said the PSP was "closing the gap", when in fact, the gap was still widening. Just more slowly.

That was my favorite.

I was kind of hoping their PR would start using the "Most Improved" award or something when they did the price drop(s).

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
sonycowboy said:
Over 100k

9th best PS3 selling title.

61st best selling title in December

There were 8 other PS3 titles that sold 100K+? Is Ratchet on that list?

Narag

sonycowboy said:
Over 100k

9th best PS3 selling title.

61st best selling title in December

Is there any way you can get the Contra IV LTD? Its a damn fine game and I'm hoping its done well.

WinFonda

BenjaminBirdie said:

My purpose is to combat stupid press releases, not to combat people defending stupid press releases. Yeah, they can say whatever it is they want. What's your point?

monkeu said:

Yes, it was. Just not combining skus.

Leondexter said:
Sony PR has been on the stretching the truth to its breaking point all this gen. 'Way back in January, when the DS was hard to find and only outsold the PSP by a little, they said the PSP was "closing the gap", when in fact, the gap was still widening. Just more slowly.

That was my favorite.

I was kind of hoping their PR would start using the "Most Improved" award or something when they did the price drop(s).

Ditto.

Snah said:
PS3 sales are quite strong. The numbers for the entire month of all hardware (sans the DS) look a bit low, however.

360, in its third Christmas season and with Halo 3 and other exclusives, only managed to outsell the PS3 by 460k with the lowest price point of entry being significantly lower than the PS3, and the PS3's most adopted model being the $499 version. Looking at it in terms of revenue, the PS3 outsold the Wii.

Pretty impressive numbers for the PS3, that's definitely sure. Now, given the sales gap in the US, it's pretty much guaranteed that worldwide the PS3 is outselling the 360. 2008 is where, in North America, PS3 starts outselling the 360 (especially as we get closer to the fall), barring any significant pricedrops by Microsoft.
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
Honestly you are probably one of the top Sony Fanboys on GAF, I salute your dedication sir.

Top Bottom