• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For December 2010 [Up5: Some Kinect/Move Data]

Kenka

EviLore said:
World of Warcraft: Cataclysm -- 1.5MM
Disney's Epic Mickey -- 1.32MM
Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit -- 906.4K

Numbers are real, unable to comment further. And this is not a policy shift re: leaks, so don't get any ideas.

We love you Evil. You're so bad <3 Epic Mickey smacks the haters in the face and torches their balls. Huge numbers x_X

More importantly : DKC is above that :D

Boney

Banned
DaBuddaDa said:
Kids is out in the US already. I don't think, in the eyes of your average hardcore gamer, Just Dance can be 'ruined,' they have nowhere to go but up.
Well GH wasn't ruined in the eyes of the hardcore gamers. JD2 is a perfect game for Wii no reason to suck the tit dry so soon.

And g'damn at Epic Mickey. Does that mean DK is like 1.4-1.5?

AniHawk

EviLore said:

Numbers are real, unable to comment further. And this is not a policy shift re: leaks, so don't get any ideas.

And a special thanks to the many Bothans who died to bring us this information.

EviLore said:

I have to admit, I didn't think the little rodent had it in him.

EviLore said:

daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn

Kenka

AniHawk said:
And a special thanks to the many Bothans who died to bring us this information.

Your avatar AniHawk ?

Too bad we probably won't get any other numbers. But thanks for having provided us a lower bound for the Top 10 Evil.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
EviLore said:

excuse my language.... but HOLY FUCKING SHIT AT EPIC MICKEY!!!!!!!! :D

MYE

EviLore said:

Aww shiet, son :D

Empty

holy fuck at epic mickey.
holy fuck at what that means for donkey kong country returns.

non mario platformers selling fuck yeaaaaaa

Why For? said:
GT turned a lot of my friends into Sony fanboys ever since GT1.

The only thing I ever heard them talk about what the tuning up of the car. They loved being able to generally pick the car they owned and tune the shit out of it without using real money, and 'drive it for real'.

This aspect of GT never has to leave. But why have soooooooooooo many cars? It's just not necessary. There's no reason GT6 couldn't be great with a total of say 300 cars. No reason whatsoever.

PD just needs to do some legitimate research into what the userbase wants. Given Europe is now the no.1consumer of GT, why is the car list so Japan-centric? Cut the driftwood and focus on great road cars. You obviously still need the Japanese tuner cars, but there's no need to have:

Skyline R32
Skyline R32 B-Spec
Skyline R32 B Spec II
Skyline R33
Skyline R33 etc. etc.

Do your research, find out which cars were the most popular and cut it down to the 3 or 4 most popular Skylines.

Want the game to do better in the US? Do some research find out what American's drive and what they WISH they were driving.

I truly believe culling the car list and researching it to find the right balance would make all the difference to both sales, cost andd ev time.
They only do that because it's easy. Most of those cars are exactly the same, so they just change the name and voila, they can claim they have # more cars. Other ones are just some different parts. That's really not what's making the development times so long. Also some of the reason GT was labelled for not having the cars most people want is actually licensing problems, and not just because "they were working on some other crappy car". They even went as far as adding RUFs when they couldn't get the Porsche license. Now that Lamborghini and Ferrari are on board you have a much more appealing car list then any GT ever had.

And it's funny you mentioned working on getting the US crowed considering this game had a focus on Muscle cars, like no other GT had, as well as adding NASCAR to the game.

I really don't think their decisions are the problem is, the increasing difficulty of developing games, as well as not having a 300 man team like Turn 10 does (and as such they have much shorter dev cycles) are the real problem.

Why For?

Banned
Makes me happy for Donkey Kong Country.

Fucking love that game. Up to the Vines now. So awesome.

Metalmurphy said:
They only do that because it's easy. Most of those cars are exactly the same, so they just change the name and voila, they can claim they have # more cars. Other ones are just some different parts. That's really not what's making the development times so long. Also some of the reason GT was labelled for not having the cars most people want is actually licensing problems, and not just because "they were working on some other crappy car". They even went as far as adding RUFs when they couldn't get the Porsche license. Now that Lamborghini and Ferrari are on board you have a much more appealing car list then any GT ever had.

And it's funny you mentioned working on getting the US crowed considering this game had a focus on Muscle cars, like no other GT had, as well as adding NASCAR to the game.

I really don't think their decisions are the problem is, the increasing difficulty of developing games, as well as not having a 300 man team like Turn 10 does (and as such they have much shorter dev cycles) are the real problem.

I see what you're saying, but I still think that the market has changed. As the Wii/Kinect has clearly shown.

I don't think too many gamers anymore (even the older gamers like many of us) cream our jocks anymore when we see "OMG! GT now has 900 cars!!!!" like we did when we were stupid kids who didn't know any better.

Now when I see shit like that as a game's 'checklist of things to have' I say: CBF and will generally ignore the game.

I actually did exactly that with Assassin's Creed Brotherhood. As soon as I heard how much more they added. MP, managing your own team of assassin's I just couldn't be fucked. There's nothing wrong with keeping things simple sometimes.

KingDizzi

Banned
Goddamn at those Epic Mickey sales, now imagine how the sales would be if it was actually a good game! DKCR has also done really done well, fucking turds seem to be shining this month.
Loving Just Dance 2, so happy it's doing well :D

DMeisterJ said:
So the bottom of the top 10 all formats is 900k? Titles outside of the top 10 could have still done massively well.

GT5 probably past 400k sold at best for the month, 400k too many.
Gonna stop now, the leaderboards up yet?

boiled goose

good with gravy
Kenka said:
OK, this is single SKU.

01. Just Dance 2 (Wii)
02. CoD (360)
03. DKC (Wii)
04. Epic Mickey (Wii)
05. COD (PS3)
06. Michael Jackson's Experience (Wii)
07. AssBro (360)
08. Kinect Sports (360)
09. uDraw (Wii)
10. Dance Central (360)

Holy crap. 0.o
Never thought I would see 4 third party games for the wii in the top 10 of any NPD month. That is crazy.

Microsofts year has been amazing yet deserved. microsoft has supported its fanbase and given it what it wants. they also put in a lot of effort into delivering a good gaming experience overall, no matter what game u are playing.

antipode

wow, what did it for Epic Mickey, just positive reviews alone? I didn't see any marketing for that game at all, web or TV.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
EviLore said:

Number for Need for Speed includes all platforms, right?

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Epic Mickey gives me hope for more classic Disney games

It'll never be the SNES era, but it should still bring in some nice platformers :)

Teetris said:
Epic Mickey gives me hope for more classic Disney games

It'll never be the SNES era, but it should still bring in some nice platformers :)
We need Epic Donald (guest starring the Duck Tales crew and Darkwing Duck)

plufim

antipode said:
wow, what did it for Epic Mickey, just positive reviews alone? I didn't see any marketing for that game at all, web or TV.
Actually, the marketing in store was pretty big.

Kenka

amtentori said:
Holy crap. 0.o
Never thought I would see 4 third party games for the wii in the top 10 of any NPD month. That is crazy.

Microsofts year has been amazing yet deserved. microsoft has supported its fanbase and given it what it wants. they also put in a lot of effort into delivering a good gaming experience overall, no matter what game u are playing.

Wait, you didn't quote me entirely. It's just a proposal, we don't know for sure about the positions. But entries (in disorder) are mostly correct. The presence of 4 third-parties in the Top 10 is correct also. There is some doubt about Michael Jackson but it sold so well on Wii in comparision to DS and PSP versions that it must be charting.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
amtentori said:
Holy crap. 0.o
Pretty sure that 10 is wrong.

Micheal Jackson shouldn't be there, CoD Ps3 should.

edit: wait.. it is on there. Maybe it is right.

markatisu

EviLore said:

1.3m in one month for Mickey.................WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW

Top Bottom