• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For December 2010 [Up5: Some Kinect/Move Data]

gkryhewy

Metalmurphy said:
And it's funny you mentioned working on getting the US crowed considering this game had a focus on Muscle cars, like no other GT had, as well as adding NASCAR to the game.

Maybe the US market is just drifting away from sim racing games (plus, the fact that the ps3 isn't the mainstream US console this gen limits their upside, certainly).

Haunted

DMeisterJ said:
So the bottom of the top 10 all formats is 900k? Titles outside of the top 10 could have still done massively well.
!!

There's some hope for Kaz and the boys yet! Here's hoping they can turn this "underperform" around into a solid "meh".

Ok, I'll stop picking on PD now.

I love how it's like "yay epic mickey, and by association, yay DKC:R" and I totally agree.

I hope Donkey Kong Country: Returns becomes a widely known classic, like the SNES originals. I think it totally deserves it.

(I also need to buy Epic Mickey one day...)

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Damn, is EM like already near the top of the best selling 3rd party titles for Wii already? Well, of course outside of Just Dance franchise haha.

And considering the sequel, this series is going to be h u g e.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
So if Cataclysm sold 4.7m in its first month and only 1.5m was retail, that means 3.2 million, more than two-thirds, were digital distro?

Am I reading this right?

EDIT: Nope, I was confusing the worldwide number, nevermind.

Busaiku

1.5 million means that most of Cataclysm's sales did come from retail.
MetatronM said:
So if Cataclysm sold 4.7m in its first month and only 1.5m was retail, that means 3.2 million, more than two-thirds, were digital distro?

Am I reading this right?
The 4.7 million is worldwide.
Cataclysm also placed high on the charts for retail releases throughout Europe, meaning most of its sales were from retail.

Good for Donkey Kong Country Returns. :D

On the downside, it has most likely already outsold the Metroid Prime series, individually I mean. :(

antonz

uDraw is making THQ some serious cash. They have to be super excited. They said for November it was supply constrained. Thats very obvious now when you consider just how many units they seem to have moved in December.

Epic Mickey is surprising. I wonder if this means a sequel or new "Epic (Disney Character)" game is a sure thing.

That means DKCR is doing fantastic, and that's fantastic. It's a great game, even if the later levels are Retro's way of hating me. I guess Retro are going to be franchise mules for the next half-decade again.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
MetatronM said:

Am I reading this right?
4.7 million world wide.

MetatronM said:

Am I reading this right?

It sold 4.7 m worldwide. NPD is just US.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
MetatronM said:

Am I reading this right?

When did they say it sold 4.7m in the US? Is there even that many active WoW players in the US?

Effect

A post said there were 9 Wii games in the top 15. Any idea what the other 4 could possibly be? I'm really hoping Goldeneye and Epic Yarn are two of them. I fully expect Mario Kart Wii and New Super Mario Bros. Wii though.

DMeisterJ said:
So the bottom of the top 10 all formats is 900k? Titles outside of the top 10 could have still done massively well.

Let's say it does around 800K. That's still underwhelming. I mean Epic Mickey would've outsold it by half a million. :lol

This is Sony's biggest franchise we're talking about. No it's far from a bomba but for your biggest game to not chart in the biggest month of the year is...not great.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Effect said:
A post said there were 9 Wii games in the top 15. Any idea what the other 4 could possibly be? I'm really hoping Goldeneye and Epic Yarn are two of them. I fully expect Mario Kart Wii though and New Super Mario Bros. Wii though.
What about the SMB All Starts repack? Or Sonic Colors.

onipex

Kenka said:
OK, this is single SKU.

01. Just Dance 2 (Wii)
02. CoD (360)
03. DKC (Wii)
04. Epic Mickey (Wii)
05. COD (PS3)
06. Michael Jackson's Experience (Wii)
07. AssBro (360)
08. Kinect Sports (360)
09. uDraw (Wii)
10. Dance Central (360)

So that means that uDraw is close to a million?

Kenka

Busaiku said:
1.5 million means that most of Cataclysm's sales did come from retail.

The 4.7 million is worldwide.
Cataclysm also placed high on the charts for retail releases throughout Europe, meaning most of its sales were from retail.

4.7 millions through Jan, 10th (so covering a period longer than Dec NPD). And yes it's worldwide. And no, we can't tell for sure how much of it comes from DD sales.

Boney

Banned
ninj4junpei said:
Good for Donkey Kong Country Returns. :D

On the downside, it has most likely already outsold the Metroid Prime series, individually I mean. :(
that's a good thing!

I still need to get it though :/

EviLore said:
World of Warcraft: Cataclysm -- 1.5MM
Disney's Epic Mickey -- 1.32MM
Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit -- 906.4K

Awesome Numbers for Epic Mickey.
Glad to see it and DCKR do so well.
Is it safe to say that DCKR is Retro's best selling game worldwide yet?

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Damn, Disney must be happy with those numbers. I wonder if a Kingdom Hearts game would've done that well.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
RPG_Fanatic said:
Yeah, that would be a pretty safe bet.

RPG_Fanatic said:

It's already Retro's best selling game in the US, let alone worldwide.

Kenka

onipex said:
So that means that uDraw is close to a million?

for hell's sake, don't quote just the title of the chart. I said expressively in the original post that this is a tentative Top 10 based on the knowledge we've gathered so far.

Titles within this Top 10 are mostly correct (we don't know for sure if CoD PS3 and MJ are part of it) and positions are random. Please edit your post.

edit :

Tentative single SKU console Top 10 (based on current knowledge)

01. Just Dance 2 (Wii) [OK]
02. CoD (360) [OK but position unsure though high probability of being correct]
03. DKC (Wii) [OK]
04. Epic Mickey (Wii) [OK]
05. COD (PS3) [position and appearance in this chart unsure but highly likely]
06. Michael Jackson's Experience (Wii) [position and appearance in this chart unsure but highly likely]
07. AssBro (360) [appearance OK but position unsure]
08. Kinect Sports (360) [appearance OK but position unsure]
09. uDraw (Wii) [appearance OK but position unsure]
10. Dance Central (360) [appearance OK but position unsure though highly likely]

Please don't quote anything else.

legend166

Effect said:
A post said there were 9 Wii games in the top 15. Any idea what the other 4 could possibly be? I'm really hoping Goldeneye and Epic Yarn are two of them. I fully expect Mario Kart Wii and New Super Mario Bros. Wii though.

I'm guessing....

Mario Kart Wii
New Super Mario Bros Wii
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Wii Fit Plus

Effect

Kagari said:
Tons of ads + cheap tablet for kids.

Outside of magazines and sites I don't recall seeing anything for uDraw though. Maybe I was watching the wrong channels. I did see a lot of ads for Epic Mickey though and only a few for DKCR during it's launch month. uDraw could be this holiday's sleeper hit though. I'm tempted to pick one up myself for the hell of it.

zero_suit

apana said:
At this rate I see DKCR definitely passing sales of Twilight Princess and maybe even Mario Galaxy.

The first one? It has a slight chance. Keep in mind that SMG sold ~9 million units WW.

antipode said:
wow, what did it for Epic Mickey, just positive reviews alone? I didn't see any marketing for that game at all, web or TV.
It must depend on what channels you usually watch because not only were there a lot of ads running for it on cable during November but I went to visit my family in NY for Thanksgiving and there were giant billboards for it placed around the city. That's the first time I think I've seen marketing like that for any Wii game, much less a 3rd party game. Even though the game itself wasn't of high quality, Disney treated Epic Mickey like most 3rd parties treat their high budget PS360 games and it sold accordingly. Many sales-agers who have been arguing that 3rd parties treat their Wii games like poop and therefore they get poop in return have been redeemed.

DarkPanda

Awesome month for Wii software! Despite my personal disappointments with Epic Mickey, I'm glad to see it do so well. While not great, it's not a bad game and is quite enjoyable, plus it provides proof to what people have been saying all along: make a high-profile, non-niche game and market it well, and it will sell on Wii. Of course, I still expect 3rd parties to give the Disney license all the credit for the sales.

DKCR deserves every single sale it got. Phenomenal game.

I'm both surprised and not with the 360. I expected high sales from Kinect, but I didn't expect it have its best month ever. You have to hand it to Microsoft, Kinect does seem to be the console launch-equivalent that they hyped it to be. I'm sure part of the Wii's decline this year was due to potential customers picking up Kinect instead, though at this late in the game I'm not sure how significant that percentage is.

Alas, poor, down-trodden PS3. Sony needs to remember that console generations are decided within the first year. Loose that, and you'll never make it up. Good luck next time with the PS4.

ASIS

Mariah Carey said:
I really honestly think Michael Jackson's video game has sold more than his recent posthumous album :lol
You don't have to think. You're correct, it's ahead by around 300K.

Of course the game doesn't have the controversy surrounding it but Whatever. Both of the projects are doing well.

Top Bottom