• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2009

Alcibiades

kkg1701 said:
Unless these lists are wrong LBP is at 3 while Resistance 2 is at 9 for Jan 09 NPD period.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=14764462&postcount=1174

KK
he's talking about Feb. #'s:

Top 10 PlayStation 3

1. PS3 STREET FIGHTER IV* CAPCOM USA
2. PS3 KILLZONE 2 SONY
3. PS3 CALL OF DUTY: WORLD AT WAR ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
4. PS3 F.E.A.R. 2: PROJECT ORIGIN WARNER INTERACTIVE
5. PS3 GUITAR HERO III LEGENDS OF ROCK ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
6. PS3 GUITAR HERO WORLD TOUR* ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
7. PS3 SONIC'S ULTIMATE GENESIS COLLECTION SEGA OF AMERICA
8. PS3 NBA 2K9 TAKE 2 INTERACTIVE
9. PS3 RESISTANCE 2* SONY
10. PS3 MORTAL KOMBAT VS. DC UNIVERSE* MIDWAY

yeah something seems miff about these numbers if people keep finding data that doesn't fudge...

kkg1701

Alcibiades said:
he's talking about Feb. #'s:

yeah something seems miff about these numbers if people keep finding data that doesn't fudge...

Oh, I thought Feb was a typo since as DarkMelm said, the numbers posted recently doesn't include them (Feb NPD that is).

KK

DMeisterJ

Banned
DarkMehm said:
February NPD isn't in these figures, so nothing wrong about them.

Oh. I get it, the leaks are not including Feb. That makes since. Well then, forget my post. Looking at Jan NPD then, the numbers do match.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Jocchan said:
I'll try to post the missing figures later (I can't now), the only one I remember that wasn't already posted was Quantum of Solace Wii outselling all the other SKUs.

If this is true I don't know whether to laugh or cry. Little bit of both I guess.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Jocchan, now that we have ToV Sales - we really need ToS2 (Wii) i really wonder if it sold even less.

RpgN

Segata Sanshiro said:
If those are a real leak, Evilore's not going to be happy when he sees those numbers here. Just a heads-up.

They look legit to me *Saves on word before they might get removed* :D I'm surprised about some numbers in a good and bad way. Even though the World ends with you belongs on the ds list and not multi.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
GDGF said:
If this is true I don't know whether to laugh or cry. Little bit of both I guess.
I just found it weird, and this is probably why it stuck in my mind.

cw_sasuke said:
Jocchan, now that we have ToV Sales - we really need ToS2 (Wii) i really wonder if it sold even less.
Sorry, I don't have direct access to NPD numbers, it's just some figures I found that seem to match the ones posted earlier in the thread (which, again, could not be legit after all).
If these numbers can be posted, I'll try to include everything I found. If we're not allowed to discuss them (which appears to be the case), I'm sorry but I won't neither publicly nor in private.

Segata Sanshiro said:
If those are a real leak, Evilore's not going to be happy when he sees those numbers here. Just a heads-up.
NPD deciding to not give out numbers next month for the epic Halo Wars KZ2 showdown would be so fucking awesome. But anyways, he gave the link so it's not like GAF is the leak like olden times.

EDarkness

Jocchan said:
If these numbers are indeed legit, they seem to validate another source of NPD LTDs I stumbled upon some time ago on the Interwebs (the numbers seem to match).
I'll try to post the missing figures later (I can't now), the only one I remember that wasn't already posted was Quantum of Solace Wii outselling all the other SKUs.

Are you serious? <Heh, I bought a copy of that, too....>

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Meh...why IGN can give us infos that Moon on DS sold like shit ( less than 5K) but we can`t have ToS II sales :D

jvm

Gamasutra.
The Patapon LTD is the same as I was given last month for my Behind the Charts article on Gamasutra. That doesn't prove anything about the other data, it's simply a confirmation that that one data point is legitimate for Patapon LTD as of Jan 2009.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Segata Sanshiro said:

It's tough. We've always been half-and-half on being able to post leaked numbers that were leaked on another site. The same discussion briefly came up when the top 10 per console per month leaked in August and September of 2007 by accident on Beyond3d. There have been a few random forum leaks since then that have been similarly sketchy.

On the one hand, leaked data is obviously a no-no, but if Alcibiades has no special source... well, once information is in the public, it's in the public. If Alcibiades had a special source and was the one originally doing to the to-the-public leak, that'd be a little different.

Just my two cents, of course--obviously if a moderator asked him to take hte numbers down because they were worried, I'm sure he'd do it.

milanbaros

Member?
Tiger Woods 09 - 216k (360), 174k (PS3), 565k (Wii)

That is really impressive. Didn't it sell another 50k this month as well?

With M+ and an early launch Tiger Woods 10 Wii could cross a million.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Excuse my ignorance, I don't follow sales-age thread much at all really, but why is the posting of leaked NPD numbers a forbidden thing?

[Nintex]

Rez said:
Excuse my ignorance, I don't follow sales-age thread much at all really, but why is the posting of leaked NPD numbers a forbidden thing?
Publishers/developers/retailers etc. pay for those numbers. If they're for grabs on the internet than no one would pay for them.

Dabanton

Rez said:

Is it because companies pay for them?

Lol what Nintex said.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Rez said:
You have to pay to get full access to their private data, and I think no one around here wants to upset NPD :p

GDGF

Soothsayer
Rez said:

Because the last time that happened some forum members were shot. We're not supposed to talk about that either.

legend166

milanbaros said:
Tiger Woods 09 - 216k (360), 174k (PS3), 565k (Wii)

That is really impressive. Didn't it sell another 50k this month as well?

With M+ and an early launch Tiger Woods 10 Wii could cross a million.

Wouldn't surprise me if 09 crossed a million worldwide. It's a pretty decent seller in Europe, I think.

milanbaros

Member?
legend166 said:
Wouldn't surprise me if 09 crossed a million worldwide. It's a pretty decent seller in Europe, I think.

It will be over a million already. It will cross 200k in the UK soon and its 600k+ in the US.

I was talking million+ in US only.

farnham

Banned
i think rockband 2 is the prime example of a game that failed relatively because they just ignored the wii (despite rockband 1 selling over 1 million copies with a 6 month delay)

not only did they missed the holiday season sales and a huge chunk of the christmas sales but they also lost the guitar hero vs. rockband clash this year.. AGAIN.

farnham

Banned
cw_sasuke said:
the sad thing is that no one of these "game-jounalist" had the balls to speak up and tell him to shut the fuck up. call of Duty, de blob, boom blox, shaun white, guitar hero, lego games,tiger woods etc. sold all very well on wii the last month 3rd partys made more money on wii than on any other platform and we still are hearing such paroles.
did you ever watch invisible walls before..

because that changed my mind about gametrailers a LOT. they are just the most biased narrowminded game journalists (maybe with the exception of J.G.).. i mean i remember when pachter said to geoff keighley that the wii selling good is great because geoff will get more money because of the wii boom and geoff was like WTF (because he expected some gnarly comment about the wii from pachter):lol :lol

RpgN said:
They look legit to me *Saves on word before they might get removed* :D I'm surprised about some numbers in a good and bad way. Even though the World ends with you belongs on the ds list and not multi.
Not a bad idea.

The thing that I understand after seeing those sales figures, if they're true or roughly accurate which it sounds like they are, is why don't 3rd parties at least put more effort on their platformers and wii enhanced sports games? I understand, Bioshock is very unlikely to get a serious Wii version. Why though for example was most of the emphasis put on the PS360 build of Sonic? Why was it even made to begin with? I get it, NCAA is gone from the Wii and Madden Wii will never be the main sku. So why did it take 3 iterations to put out a great Tiger Woods and why weren't good Wii tennis games made. Why is Resident Evil such a sore spot with Wii owners?

Is the problem seriously that most developers are like that Wanat guy?

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Son of Godzilla said:
Ayways, if you want to make the argument that it's worth the resources for devs to make more Wii versions you can't use games that devs thought were worth the resources to make Wii versions. You are completely beholden to the devs' judgement that way.
So...

In trying to figure out whether or not it's worth it for companies to make Wii versions of multiplatform games, you can't use the numbers from Wii versions of mulitplatform games?

What would you suggest? Coin flips? Dice rolls? Tea leaves?

farnham

Banned
Bending_Unit_22 said:
Not a bad idea.

The thing that I understand after seeing those sales figures, if they're true or roughly accurate which it sounds like they are, is why don't 3rd parties at least put more effort on their platformers and wii enhanced sports games? I understand, Bioshock is very unlikely to get a serious Wii version. Why though for example was most of the emphasis put on the PS360 build of Sonic? Why was it even made to begin with? I get it, NCAA is gone from the Wii and Madden Wii will never be the main sku. So why did it take 3 iterations to put out a great Tiger Woods and why weren't good Wii tennis games made. Why is Resident Evil such a sore spot with Wii owners?

well fortunately we are seeing the trend that the publishers are now digging the wii

ea is publishing a wiimotion plus tiger woods and an exclusive tennis game
sega is publishing a wii motion plus virtua tennis..
PES is definately the best on the wii..
there are a lot of boxing games comming to the wii..
PowerPro is now the best on the Wii

the transition is slow and painful but the numbers are forcing the publishers to take action

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
farnham said:
i think rockband 2 is the prime example of a game that failed relatively because they just ignored the wii (despite rockband 1 selling over 1 million copies with a 6 month delay)

not only did they missed the holiday season sales and a huge chunk of the christmas sales but they also lost the guitar hero vs. rockband clash this year.. AGAIN.
I'm pretty sure the half-assed work they did with Rockband 1, which sold pretty well on Wii, discouraged people from buying the second game, which had decent sales but started pretty slow and never lighted the charts. Many Wii owners probably felt burned and thought GH was the better game.

EDIT:
Bending_Unit_22 said:
Many developers are exactly like that. Developers are hardcore gamers in the first place, and the Wii having a limited hardware never attracted them from the very beginning.
Add in the media spreading factually wrong information about only Nintendo/party games selling and the Wii's supposedly horrible tie ratio to the mix, and you'll get why they've always been jumping from excuse to excuse not to develop for the platform.

Pachael

Well, since there's no verification yet on whether the numbers are real, leaked, faked or anything else, I've removed the post.

Delio

Wow i never really post in these much but those leaked sales are interesting. It's interesting to see that Wii games fall off the radar but keep selling really nicely. Also wow at Sonic Unleashed it makes me wonder how well Black Knight will do in secret heh.

JKBii

farnham said:

I think they deserve what they get in that department. As much as I think Rockband 2 is the better game, if they're gonna keep spiting themselves in the face by treating the Wii version like it's some ugly stepchild, so will gamers.

Delio said:
Wow i never really post in these much but those leaked sales are interesting. It's interesting to see that Wii games fall off the radar but keep selling really nicely. Also wow at Sonic Unleashed it makes me wonder how well Black Knight will do in secret heh.
black knight wont sell well initially at all as its not releasing at xmas which obviously helped unleashed however over time i'd expect it to sell quite well

Sadist

Jocchan said:
If these numbers are indeed legit, they seem to validate another source of NPD LTDs I stumbled upon some time ago on the Interwebs (the numbers seem to match).
:lol Where is that Wii version photoshop when you need it

Edit: if true, I'm surprised at how the Force Unleashed performed on Wii.

JKBii

Maybe its the Nintendo fanboy in me but I'm glad Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts flopped. Rare completely shit on it's most anticipated sequel in a way only Rare can. Hopefully in 2016 when they make a sequel, they'll make a real platformer.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
frankie_baby said:
black knight wont sell well initially at all as its not releasing at xmas which obviously helped unleashed however over time i'd expect it to sell quite well
Also, if Secret Rings sales are of any indication, it will sell in the UK for a long time.
Maybe this is why they went for the King Arthur setting :lol

radcliff

cw_sasuke said:
Meh...why IGN can give us infos that Moon on DS sold like shit ( less than 5K) but we can`t have ToS II sales :D

IGN said in one of their podcasts that TOS 2 sold just over 95,000 as of December's NPD.

Dabanton

JKBii said:
Maybe its the Nintendo fanboy in me but I'm glad Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts flopped. Rare completely shit on it's most anticipated sequel in a way only Rare can. Hopefully in 2016 when they make a sequel, they'll make a real platformer.

What the hell is a real platformer?

yoopoo

Banned
Wow what happen there?

Silent Hill Origins: 80k (PS2), 154k (PSP)
Silent Hill 5 - 73k (360), 84k (PS3)

Guess thats why the next SH is rumored to be on PSP and Wii (as a test).

DeeVoc

Neo Member
xbhaskarx said:
Wii: +321k
360: +136.4k
NDS: +.4k
PS3: -4.8k
PSP: -44.1k
PS2: -220.8k

The change in 360-PS3 from last year is 140k in favor of the 360, yet the PS3 still sold quite well.
I wonder if that's because of Killzone 2, or because people are still just as willing to spend $400 on a PS3 despite the tough economy?
I guess we'll find out next month.

I know we all like to say "Games are recession proof!", but when you align what gaming is doing compared to the consumer spending index it really is amazing.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/116527/Stimulus-Not-Yet-Improving-Consumer-Mood-Spending.aspx

Gallup's Consumer Spending Index shows Americans' self-reported spending in stores, restaurants, gas stations, and online averaging $61 per day last week -- down from $66 the prior week and $68 during the week of Feb. 9-15. Consumer spending is down 34% from $92 per day a year ago. Year-over-year consumer spending was also down 34% in January and 40% in February. While the percentage decline in average consumer spending in early March is not as bad as February's decline, this is not the result of an improvement in current consumer spending; instead, it reflects the reduced spending levels of a year ago as gas prices increased and consumer confidence plunged. (Gallup's Consumer Spending Index excludes the purchase of homes, motor vehicles, and normal household bills.)

So yah, overall consumer spending is down a whooping 40% while the games industry is experiencing growth.

Top Bottom