• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2010

Raw64life

Rough LTDs...

WII NEW SUPER MARIO BROS. WII: ~5.42M
WII WII SPORTS RESORT: ~5.11M

360 CALL OF DUTY - MODERN WARFARE 2: ~6.47M
360 MASS EFFECT 2 - ~820K

PS3 CALL OF DUTY - MODERN WARFARE 2: ~3.51M

plank

Those Super Bowl ads did the trick for the 360 I suppose. Now if only Wii games could get that kind of treatment also. :/

Zzoram

Killa Sasa said:
Heavy Rain with like what, 5 days? Good show.

360 with the upset :eek: and where's Bioshock 2 PS3?

I haven't seen a commercial for Just Dance, I wonder why it has legs? Didn't it come out before Christmas too?

Mario, Sports Resort, and CoD are to be expected at this point :p

Everyone needs to stop this. All games are massively, massively front loaded. Especially the more niche genres. The first day alone will be bigger than the next 29 days in most cases.

Elios83

Great month for 360 and PS3.
It's interesting (or obvious?) that a fps sold more on the 360 while a God of War kind of game sold more on PS3.
I'm happy Heavy Rain sold so much in its first week.
Next month will be really interesting with FFXIII and GOW3 if Sony doesn't screw up with their shipments which are quite high actually, it's just demand which is higher.
DS is amazing, Wii is losing steam, PSP and PS2 manage to survive.

a Master Ninja said:
PS3 owners don't give a shit about Bioshock, it seems. The timed-exclusive nature of the first must have fucked the franchise's potential on the PS3.

Or else they were too busy buying better games.

Bioshock > Bioshock 2. Even Yahtzee agrees :p

just noticed AVP's absence. another rebellion flop?

and the psp continues to limp along like an old man in desperate need of a hip replacement.

Chozo

Looks like I'm another person eating crow on Heavy Rain. Didn't think it would chart top 10, so shows what I know.

FrankT

Shurs said:
Wow at 360 and Heavy Rain.

Surprised that Dante's Inferno sold better on PS3.

I'm not really. It was Devine version versus regular. I wasn't buying it regardless.

Raw64life said:
Rough LTDs...

WII NEW SUPER MARIO BROS. WII: ~5.42M
WII WII SPORTS RESORT: ~5.11M

360 CALL OF DUTY - MODERN WARFARE 2: ~6.47M
360 MASS EFFECT 2 - ~820K

PS3 CALL OF DUTY - MODERN WARFARE 2: ~3.51M

Incredible MW2 numbers. Could easily do 7-8 million on the 360 in the US alone at this rate. I would have liked to have seen a bit more for ME2 for the first five weeks, but I'm sure it will have pretty good legs.

mooooose

a Master Ninja said:
PS3 owners don't give a shit about Bioshock, it seems. The timed-exclusive nature of the first must have fucked the franchise's potential on the PS3.
This is definitely the case.

Zzoram

DeadGzuz said:
So the 360 can beat everyone when it's the only console on the shelf?

People won't just buy a console on impulse if it's the only one on the shelf. It has to mean they were similarly interested in their first choice and the Xbox 360.

fernoca

All consoles/handhelds sales were up (from January 2010)..except Wii, so it seems the shortages affected the Wii only. But I guess is more fun saying that it also affected the PS3, even though the 360 also beat the PS3 in January, and also by a similar margin (around 60k).

Another thing is that being familiar to a franchise doesn't has to do anything with sales.
Just look at Resident Evil 5..and how it on Xbox 360 sold twice of what the PS3 version sold, even though it was the first Resident Evil game ..ever on an Xbox-branded console.

BIOSHOCK 2* 360 TAKE 2 INTERACTIVE Feb-10 562.9K
NEW SUPER MARIO BROS. WII WII NINTENDO OF AMERICA Nov-09 555.6K
CALL OF DUTY: MODERN WARFARE 2* 360 ACTIVISION BLIZZARD Nov-09 314.3K
JUST DANCE WII UBISOFT Nov-09 275.4K
SPORTS RESORT W/ WII MOTION PLUS* WII NINTENDO OF AMERICA Jul-09 272.5K
CALL OF DUTY: MODERN WARFARE 2* PS3 ACTIVISION BLIZZARD Nov-09 252.8K
MASS EFFECT 2 360 ELECTRONIC ARTS Jan-10 246.5K
DANTE'S INFERNO: DIVINE EDITION PS3 ELECTRONIC ARTS Feb-10 242.5K
DANTE'S INFERNO 360 ELECTRONIC ARTS Feb-10 224.7K
HEAVY RAIN PS3 SONY Feb-10 219.3K

Another weird thing about this month is 7 out of the top 10 are non-Wii games.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Heavy Rain!

You did good, you did good!

Great numbers really for all hardware.

a Master Ninja said:
Yeah, that is crazy.
It has to be number 11.

Jagernaut

Snuggler said:
So the 360 version of Bioshock sold 562.9K but the PS3 version didn't chart so it's a least sub 220K, what a big gap there.

The PS3 version of Bioshock 1 was a year late and didn't sell well. That probably had something to do with it. Most PS3 gamers are not familiar with the franchise.

NeoUltima

Wii owners moving on to HD. Wii/PS3 shortages causing huge issues for Nintendo/Sony...Ps2 magically doubles in sales.

Amazing February all around, except for Wii/PSP.

Software basically what I expected. Though I figured Bioshock 2 ps3 would sell more than HR.

Why does the Wii's excuse have to be that it's supply constrained? Why can't the explanation simply be that there aren't that many more people who want the stupid thing that don't already have it?

Who wants a Wii by now that doesn't already have one? The novelty of it has to wear off at some point. (And yes, I have one collecting dust like everyone else.)

Amir0x

Banned
chubigans said:
Bioshock 2 bomba'd on PS3. That's at least one nugget of awesome. :D

Hopefully that puts the brakes on the franchise for a while.

on the PS3, maybe!

Clearly with these sales, not on 360! Go Bioshock! :rock:

Mrbob

PS3 is still supply constrained, but it shouldn't diminish the 360 numbers.

IF PS3 isn't and sells 550K for the month, over 400K for the 360 is impressive. Looks like PS3 and 360 might be the driving force in NA now.

Mush

Heavy Rain just charting in the top 10 is a miracle in itself. Good job, America.
And wow at X360's sales.

Shurs

Zzoram said:
Everyone needs to stop this. All games are massively, massively front loaded. Especially the more niche genres. The first day alone will be bigger than the next 29 days in most cases.

I think Heavy Rain will have legs. I don't think there were many commercials and once people see it/hear about it, they want to play it.

Top Bottom