• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for January 2010

jrricky

Banned
Wow! Goooo Mass Effect 2 and NSMB Wii! How did Bayonetta sell 1 million again?

Missing: MAG (another one of sonys failures? Not surprising), NMH2, TatsuVsCapcom, Bayonetta, Darksiders PS3...

bozeman

The MTV logo change thread in the OT inspired me to see what qualifies as programming on MTV these days. I saw 2 Just Dance ads in about 20 minutes. That's who's buying Just Dance.

VALIS

JAN 09 / JAN 10

Wii: 679,200 / 465,800
NDS: 510,800 / 422,200
X360: 309,000 / 332,800
PS3: 203,200 / 276,900
PSP: 172,300 / 100,100
PS2: 101,200 / 41,600

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Nothing too exciting to see here. Glad to see Mass Effect up high, I bet it's sold a shitton more since the end of Janurary.

Bummed about Bayonetta, it was an early month release but it's 171.2k > which is disappointing.

Mrbob

Since ME2 came out so late in the month, I'm expecting a very nice second month for the game. First game did about 900K in the first two months. Granted that was Nov and Dec at the time, but I don't see any reason why ME2 couldn't do at least 300K+ in its second month considering its late Jan release.

X360 hardware holding on well too. I don't think MS needs a price drop until the Aug or Sept at this point. PS3 decent month as well, and the Wii is the Wii. Hardware numbers a bit boring for consoles. PSP and PS2 look like they are both going away looking at those sales. Better have a new PSP primed for release this year Sony.

The next step for the PS2 isn't to be discontinued. It's to be taken down to $60-$70. Sony still uses PS2 hardware to offset the losses on PS3 hardware. How much do you think it costs to make one now? Probably around $20.

MirageDwarf said:
MASS EFFECT!!!

What is Mario Kart LTD numbers? Game is almost 2 years old and is still in top ten.

Up to around 8.4 million. It should become the best selling non-bundled game in the US by the end of the year.

AstroMan

Banned
DMeisterJ said:
I kinda liked it (the beta that is) and haven't gotten around to getting it yet, but I don't want to buy it if it doesn't sell good (considering it's MP only) so the sad face is that I may not buy it. :/

There's over 10,000 people online at any given moment. You should be fine.

kuYuri

Awesome for Mass Effect 2, deserves it. I'm glad at least one Darksiders SKU is up there, but too bad for Bayonetta.

Army of Two 360 still managed to get into top 10 just like the original, although not as big a debut comparatively.

Go Call of Duty: MW2, whoo!

Interesting and not so interesting numbers this month. Mario Kart is really incredible...practically the best legs this generation. I wonder how much the swift dropping off of PS2 and PSP seeming to return to its grave-digging are going to affect PS3 price flexibility throughout the year when (or is it if?) the X360 price drop comes later this year.

Evlar

Banned
woxel1 said:
Nintendo

Microsoft

Sony
Cute, but that doesn't express the status quo found in these numbers. They are boring.

JesseZao

I liked playing Bayonetta, but I always hated the appearance of the character and can't imagine the two story neck Sarah Palin convinced many impulse buys. My point is proven by Darksiders showing up on the top 10.

Arnie

Disappointed MAG didn't chart, it's a damn shame. Good job 360 at beating the PS3 by a larger margin than most of GAF were willing to bet. Oh and I am pleased the only 2 pieces of hardware up year over year are the two HD ones.

Frillen said:
The game sucks compared to MW2, and it will suck compared to Bad Company 2. So why the :( face? The whole game is a big disappointment.

I doubt you have even played it, but i'd say frillen sucks.

GAF has an awesome MAG clan goin. So fun!

and i already know darksiders is getting a sequel so i am very happy .

gerg

I like how inflated our expectations of the Wii are that selling over 450k units in January can be considered disappointing.

woxel1

Evlar said:
Cute, but that doesn't express the status quo found in these numbers. They are boring.
True, but I couldn't sit on these forever. Oh, but what the heck:

LACK OF NPD DRAMA

Top Bottom